PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46

X-Terminator
03-31-2010, 11:16 AM
You gotta love the Flyers fans and their paranoia.

Hey "Lefty" - the league is not out to get the Flyers. Your team is where it is because they effing SUCK, and they're undisciplined as hell. And if you really think the Flyers are the only team that gets the shaft from the referees, you need to stop smoking that wacky tobacky and come back to the real world. Or talk to Bill McCreary and ask him what he thinks about the Pens, given that he has royally screwed them multiple times in the past, including game 2 of the SCF last year when he missed a blatant hook right in front of him that led directly to a goal by the Wings.

In other words, cry me a river.

X-Terminator
03-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Team website reporting both Gonch and Malkin will be out for tonight's match up against the Lightning. Looks like we have to do it without them again against this pesky bolts team that gives the Pens hassle def. St. Louis and Lecavier.
Big game for the Pens now that the Devils have no games in hand and down one this is a chance to go up 3 points tonight. Come on boys!

Well that's just wonderful. :doh: I can understand Geno not playing, but I'd like to know what illness Gonchar had that has kept him out of the lineup for damn near 2 weeks. Oh well, here's hoping at least one of them will be ready to go on Saturday. In the meantime, I just hope they can stop Stamkos and beat Tampa tonight. They have a history of blowing opportunities to expand their division lead in the past.

steelpride12
03-31-2010, 11:48 AM
Well that's just wonderful. :doh: I can understand Geno not playing, but I'd like to know what illness Gonchar had that has kept him out of the lineup for damn near 2 weeks. Oh well, here's hoping at least one of them will be ready to go on Saturday. In the meantime, I just hope they can stop Stamkos and beat Tampa tonight. They have a history of blowing opportunities to expand their division lead in the past.

Gonch has strept throat, I guess I can see because that is a nasty illness, but yes just need to bottle Stamkos, Lecavier, and St. Louis. Maybe get Rupp to beat the hell out of Downie who I hate with a passion! Go Pens!

X-Terminator
03-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Gonch has strept throat, I guess I can see because that is a nasty illness, but yes just need to bottle Stamkos, Lecavier, and St. Louis. Maybe get Rupp to beat the hell out of Downie who I hate with a passion! Go Pens!

Yeah, just read the update about Gonchar. Yeah, that would explain why he was bedridden for a few days. He's probably still weak a bit from not being able to eat much of anything and needs to regain it before he can play again.

Someone had better make Downie answer for that cheap shot on Crosby in the last meeting. I was pretty disappointed when no one went after him.

steelpride12
03-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah, just read the update about Gonchar. Yeah, that would explain why he was bedridden for a few days. He's probably still weak a bit from not being able to eat much of anything and needs to regain it before he can play again.

Someone had better make Downie answer for that cheap shot on Crosby in the last meeting. I was pretty disappointed when no one went after him.

Agreed. I was surprised no Pens jump all over Downie when that happened or even took a shot at him some point in the game, but tonight were at home and the crowd will sure amp the Pens up.

HometownGal
03-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Obviously, Letang's outrageous contract was not a precursor to Serg leaving or the Pens not working to extend his contract. The Pens FO, Bylsma and the entire team know how vital Serg's contributions are to the success of this team.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_674188.html?source=rss&feed=8

Although many have assumed the Penguins would lose either Letang or unrestricted free-agent-to-be Sergei Gonchar this summer, the team emphasized that Gonchar's departure is hardly imminent despite the Letang signing.

The $3.5 million salary cap hit that Letang's contract will produce is not enough for the Penguins to alter their plans of re-signing Gonchar this season.

"This doesn't affect Sergei at all," Penguins GM Ray Shero said. "We still want to sit down with him this summer and get a deal done."

Letang would have been a restricted free agent this summer, but the Penguins wanted to lock him up in a long-term deal. The defenseman admitted in January that the contract situation was on his mind, and that family members brought the subject up daily.

"I'm just really happy about this," Letang said. "I want to be here. I think this is a special place."

Letang made it clear that he wants Gonchar to remain in Pittsburgh. Although Letang is an offensively gifted player, he has never displayed Gonchar's unique ability to quarterback the power play.

"I hope Gonch stays," Letang said. "We aren't the same team without Gonch."

Penguins coach Dan Bylsma also hopes Gonchar stays beyond this season. He doesn't believe Letang's contract will prohibit the Penguins from making a legitimate offer to Gonchar, who turns 36 the same week the playoffs begin.

"I don't think that was the intention or the ramification of the contract," Bylsma said.

Gonchar has been ill, missing the team's past three games. He admitted that, because he has been sick, his contract situation hasn't exactly been prominent in his mind.

The veteran made it clear that he would prefer to remain with the Penguins.

"I really don't know what their cap situation is," he said. "I don't know all the numbers. But Ray has always been honest with me."

Fire Haley
03-31-2010, 04:19 PM
Big game for the Pens now that the Devils have no games in hand and down one this is a chance to go up 3 points tonight. Come on boys!

Yep!

I wish we could stuff Martin St-Louis in a duffle bag and take him home with us.

Yay! the game is on Versus

Hot race for the last spot in the East.

Atlanta is on a 6-2 run

Philly, Boston and the Habs are all tied with 82 pts - Atlanta is 2 back at 80.

steelpride12
03-31-2010, 06:33 PM
Here we go boys time to take a 3 point division lead and keep the Sabres in the third spot GO PENS!

steelpride12
03-31-2010, 06:42 PM
Ugh Lashoff slams Fedotenko into the boards and he still has not gotten back up in over a minute! He got a game mis-conduct, but injuries NO!

I hope to see a suspension for that one!

steelpride12
03-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Dang! PP just doesn't look that great without Gonch or Malkin No goals on a 5 minute PP.

pittsburghp8baller
03-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Ugh Lashoff slams Fedotenko into the boards and he still has not gotten back up in over a minute! He got a game mis-conduct, but injuries NO!

I hope to see a suspension for that one!

He wont be suspended for that

Right call was made but that looks like the same situation that happened to Ryan Kesler last night. Lashoff was trying to hit him from the side and Fedotenko turned his back on him.

Hope Tank is ok, but really dont think its worth a suspension.

steelpride12
03-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Good news Fedotenko returned to the Pens bench!

steelpride12
03-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Pens give up a PP goal to Stamkos his 46th now 1 behind Sid.

steelpride12
03-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Downie scores to make it 2 to 0 Bolts one player I hate seeing succeed. Come on Pens why can't we ever take advantage of a division lead when we have it!

steelpride12
03-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Horrid on the PP tonight yikes!

steelpride12
03-31-2010, 07:51 PM
Billy G. And Konapka going at it. Nice to see Guerin try to pump up this team who has not even been visible so far in this game!

steelpride12
03-31-2010, 08:05 PM
Wow these first two periods were disgusting! 11 minutes on the PP 5 straight in the beginning and all looked terrible and too rushed without Gonch. 10 shots for lightning and two goals sigh! Pens know they can be 3 points ahead of the Devils and they are playing terrible. I know Gonch and Malkin are out, but that is no excuse for this play!
I love Letang's effort tonight, but for the sake of scoring Hit the net!
Come on Pens step up!

steelpride12
03-31-2010, 08:13 PM
And Sabres up 6 to 2 sigh insult to injury.

steelpride12
03-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Shut out that's all I have to say. Buffalo in the second seed and Pens only a 1 point division lead. Sigh bad night and im fuming!

Shea
03-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Yep, bad night. Plus, it's never fun being SO.

Atleast Stamkos wasn't able to get the empty netter to tie Sid.

Some good news though, Gonch and Geno should be back Saturday. I think ...... :nervous:

steelerdude15
03-31-2010, 10:23 PM
The Pens really need to step it up on pp, that's hurting them pretty bad. They're also a little sloppy on defense from time to time and that needs to be stepped up as well. I hope Gonch and Malkin come back soon.

Fire Haley
04-01-2010, 01:09 AM
Two words

Letang sucks

X-Terminator
04-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Well it looks like the team is pissed about their performance last night, so much so that they had a 17-minute players-only meeting after the game. If it's 17 minutes long, you know there were some pretty frank words being said. And apparently, Sid and Brooks did most of the tongue-lashing:

A figurative line was carved into the ice by the Penguins Wednesday night after an appalling 2-0 loss to the lowly Tampa Bay Lightning at Mellon Arena.

Following a players-only meeting that lasted approximately 17 minutes, a question remained unanswered: Who will join team-leaders center Sidney Crosby and defenseman Brooks Orpik in crossing over that line in the final five remaining regular-season games before the Stanley Cup playoffs?

"It's an accountability thing — guys in here, for whatever reason, it's just inconsistency," Orpik said after his club was blanked for a sixth time on the season by a Tampa Bay club that was wrapping a four-game road trip, had played Tuesday night and was a winner in only four of 18 previous games.

Crosby, the team captain, was the first player to speak publicly about what this loss represented in a big-picture sense.

"It was pretty bad," he said. "There's no real sugar-coating it or trying to make something positive out of it. We didn't do anything that was positive. That's about it. We weren't ready to play. That's what it comes down to. We thought we were going to play a team that (had) laid down and was out of the playoffs — we were just going to show up, and it didn't happen. Clearly, it didn't happen. We basically got what we deserved.

"If everyone accepts that or is OK with the way things went, that's not good. I don't think anybody is. I don't think anybody believes that we did things right or that we worked hard or that there was effort. I think we can all agree there wasn't, and we know what we have to do here moving forward."

The Penguins (44-26-7, 95 points) will practice today at 8:30 a.m., and head coach Dan Bylsma said after this loss that the rare early-morning session was because high-school championship games will be played at Mellon Arena starting around 11 a.m.

However, Bylsma's team looks as though it could benefit from a training-camp approach to the final weeks before the postseason defense of their Cup title.

Playing without center Evgeni Malkin (five straight games missed with a bruised right foot) and defenseman Sergei Gonchar (out four in a row with strep throat), the Penguins went 0-for-4 on 11 minutes of power-play time, and they were credited with 11 giveaways.

"It's unacceptable," forward Craig Adams said of the fourth regulation loss in a 4-4-3 stretch. "If it was a simple fix we would have fixed it already. I could throw out a bunch of cliches, but it's not good enough. We need to get better if we want to make some noise (in the playoffs.)"

Emerging superstar center Steven Stamkos made some noise with his 46th goal, one off Crosby's league-best total, with three minutes remaining in the opening period to give Tampa Bay a 1-0 lead. Just 29 seconds into the second period, rugged winger Steve Downie built on Stamkos' power-play score with his 22nd goal.

Goalie Mike Smith turned aside 27 shots for the Lightning, who will not make the playoffs.

Bylsma, after dismissing any lack of confidence in his club's potential to rally for another title run, correctly noted the Penguins will be one of only 16 teams to play in the upcoming postseason.

His newest defenseman, Jordon Leopold, also correctly noted that "some things needed to be said" in the post-game meeting among players, and goalie Marc-Andre Fleury (15 saves) plainly put these Penguins' plight into perspective.

"It's very disappointing to lose to a team like that," goalie Marc-Andre Fleury said. "Lately we haven't played our best hockey out there. We need to turn that around, because the playoffs are coming soon."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_674362.html

This is why I believe the team will be OK once the playoffs start. They're a proud bunch, and they will not stand for performances like last night. I know Sid and Brooks won't, that's for sure.

WH
04-01-2010, 08:15 AM
I like that it's not just Sid saying stuff at these meetings. I like seeing that Brooks is stepping up as the clear leader of the D.

steelpride12
04-01-2010, 10:31 AM
I agree Wirels3. These guys just played terrible last night and sure give the bolts credit for playing a tough trap last night, but there is no excuse for last nights play! Letang come on hit the net please at least 5 hitting the glass thank you for the effort though.
Puck handling terrible and I mean the PP without Gonch and Malkin or the worst. They looked so out of sync the entire 5 minute major and never settled the puck down leading in momentum all towards the bolts.

Good for Sid and Brooks for stepping up last night and expressing their emotions and feelings toward the team right now. I hope the rest of the team feels the same way and knows that they need to get hot NOW to end the season and into the playoffs! Come on Pens! We still believe!

steelpride12
04-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Im just in the mindset right now that the Pens will enter the playoffs fully healthy and kick it into high gear. I just have a feeling that will be unstoppable in the playoffs like last season!

Fire Haley
04-01-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm still aiming for 4th place to ease into the playoffs against the Sens or Flyers - Pens aren't even close to last years playoff team right now, their PP is horrible, pathetic - Leopold is their best shooter - they need time to regroup when Malkin&Gonch come back - you can't just flip the switch.

steelpride12
04-01-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm still aiming for 4th place to ease into the playoffs against the Sens or Flyers - Pens aren't even close to last years playoff team right now, their PP is horrible, pathetic - Leopold is their best shooter - they need time to regroup when Malkin&Gonch come back - you can't just flip the switch.

True, but I think Gonch and Malkin just mean that much to the team and there return will re amp this PP and offense it's self. Yes Letang and GoGo are sure weak points on the point, but this team always plays a much higher game in the playoffs and I expect it this season.

Fire Haley
04-01-2010, 12:37 PM
That was a different Pens team - the one that was five points out of the final playoff spot at the trade deadline and turned it on and got red hot heading into the playoffs.

It'll all come down to goaltending, and Fleury has been spotty lately too. I wish I had more confidence, but these guys are just going through the motions right now. I blame the Olympics.

X-Terminator
04-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Does all this talking sound familiar from a few months back? Stillers maybe.. They also needed a good kick in the arse... Pen's are no way near like they were acting but I'm just saying.. I'm sick of the commentators saying we can't do anything without 71 and/or 55 during a PP. YES WE CAN!!!

We are still the dam best team in the league!!! I'm ready for the Playoffs..

The big difference between the Pens and Steelers is that the Pens are going to the playoffs.

And actually, they did manage to score a couple of PPGs in their last 3 games before last night, but still, they are not even close to the same unit without Malkin and especially Gonchar. The numbers do not lie - the Pens' PP is 3 percentage points higher with just Gonchar in the lineup, around 20%. I am certain that they would have scored at least one goal in that 5 minute PP with both of them in the lineup.

I see you still believe the Sens are going to be a cakewalk despite all of the evidence to the contrary. They will NOT be an easy out, and I'd rather avoid them. Same for the Habs. The Bruins and Flyers are much better matchups, and the only way they get either of them is if they win the division and finish 2nd or 3rd. Under NO circumstances do I want the Pens to play either the Sens or Habs in the first round, or the Devils/Caps in round 2.

I still believe the Pens will be just fine once April 14 rolls around. I haven't wavered on that, and I will not waver on it, because the Pens play their best hockey when the games matter the most. They have been that way for the past 2+ seasons. And if they don't win the Cup again this year, so what? This team is set to be legitimate Cup contenders for at least the next 3-5 years. You won't be able to explain that to the bandwagon fans, though.

Fire Haley
04-01-2010, 01:47 PM
I see you still believe the Sens are going to be a cakewalk despite all of the evidence to the contrary. .

I didn't say cakewalk - I'd just rather play them than the Habs. Ottawa is getting hot again too.

Not that it means much, Pens are #11 in the power rankings this week - Sens are #16.

http://tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?ID=548

stlrtruck
04-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Last night was one of the worst games I've seen in a long time. And what sucks even more is I only get to see the Pens on TV about once a month until the playoffs.

The Lightning announcer had it right when he said that the Pens looked flat and out of sequence. But I also give credit to the Lightning, they played a hell of a game last night. They out muscled the Pens all night long.

I hope they take this beating and use it to their advantage as we bring the regular season to a close.

Fire Haley
04-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Like I said 4 or 5 pages ago - they're just playing to stay healthy. winning is irrelevant now.

We won't have home ice playing the Caps not matter what happens - they know that's they're biggest rival.

Of course, that kind of thinking could send them home early too.

X-Terminator
04-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Like I said 4 or 5 pages ago - they're just playing to stay healthy. winning is irrelevant now.

We won't have home ice playing the Caps not matter what happens - they know that's they're biggest rival.

Of course, that kind of thinking could send them home early too.

Judging by their 17 minute players-only meeting, I don't think they are just playing to stay healthy. They clearly want to win the division and get that 2nd seed. No, they wouldn't have home ice against the Caps, but if you can delay playing them for the first 2 rounds, why not go for it? Assuming both teams make it to the East Final, the Caps may be beat up, making them ripe for the picking, and their home ice advantage won't mean a thing.

WH
04-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Judging by their 17 minute players-only meeting, I don't think they are just playing to stay healthy. They clearly want to win the division and get that 2nd seed. No, they wouldn't have home ice against the Caps, but if you can delay playing them for the first 2 rounds, why not go for it? Assuming both teams make it to the East Final, the Caps may be beat up, making them ripe for the picking, and their home ice advantage won't mean a thing.

I hope they spend 1/17th of that meeting talking about why the PP is so horrible. With or without Gonchar.

The Pens need more toughness in front of the opposing net.

X-Terminator
04-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I hope they spend 1/17th of that meeting talking about why the PP is so horrible. With or without Gonchar.

The Pens need more toughness in front of the opposing net.

Ponikarovsky is your guy, but for some reason, they don't put him in front of the net. He needs to be there on every PP. It also doesn't help when your $14 million dollar "defenseman" misses the net 7 times in one game. The PP is clearly better with Gonchar in the lineup, because even if he doesn't score, more often than not he is going to get his shot on goal. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, the numbers do not lie - the Pens' PP is 3 percentage points better with Gonchar than without.

Fire Haley
04-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Poni has shown absolutely nothing yet.
Gonchar has a SHOT - Letang is a limp wrister - Leopold is the best we got without Malkin or Gonch out there.
Sid still seems to pass too much. He's got to take it to the net, the Pens have become predictable.
Or maybe he's just saving it.

X-Terminator
04-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Poni has shown absolutely nothing yet.
Gonchar has a SHOT - Letang is a limp wrister - Leopold is the best we got without Malkin or Gonch out there.
Sid still seems to pass too much. He's got to take it to the net, the Pens have become predictable.

I wouldn't call Ponikarovsky a "*****" - he is being misused. Sid is reverting back to the playmaker that he really is, and is looking to pass first rather than shoot. He needs to get back to shooting the puck as much as he was earlier in the season when he was in the top 5 in shots to keep teams honest. That, plus a healthy Gonchar and Malkin, will go a long way toward fixing the PP. Firing Mike Yeo wouldn't hurt either.

Fire Haley
04-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Just shoot the damn puck.

that is all

I sometimes get the feeling they are too defensive - Therrien's ghost most likely

Turnovers don't give much confidence - Sid's' dainty little passes and Gogo scare me around the blue line

HometownGal
04-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Wednesday night's game against the Bolts was disheartening and XT and I couldn't wait to get out of that arena. :banging: For the most part, the entire team looked like they were sleepwalking on skates. Fleury didn't play badly - I don't think there is a goalie out there who would have stopped either of those scores. The PP just flat out stunk and Serg and Geno can't get back soon enough for me.

As for the 14 million dollar man - I think it best to reserve my comments. :banging:

I'm looking ahead, not behind, as I look forward to tomorrow night's game against the Thrashers. The Sabes lost last night to the Leafs and the Debs play tonight against the Hawks. Tomorrow night's game is an absolutely MUST win. :hope:

LETS GO PENS!

X-Terminator
04-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Well, HTG and I got our seat location in the new arena...and we're already looking to upgrade - LOL! The prices are quite a bit more than I expected, especially for the lower bowl, but the team does need to make money. As hot as tickets are right now, they should have no problem selling out every game regardless of the cost.

As promised, here is the link to the 3D seating chart at Consol: http://penguins.nhl.com/seats3d

steelerdude15
04-03-2010, 12:45 AM
As promised, here is the link to the 3D seating chart at Consol: http://penguins.nhl.com/seats3d
That seating chart is pretty neat.

WH
04-03-2010, 05:24 AM
The roof doesn't open at the new place, does it?

I'm going to have to come back early mid October. I need good weather for Frisbee Golf, I need the Penguins to be playing at the new arena, and the Steelers to be playing.

X-Terminator
04-03-2010, 07:34 AM
The roof doesn't open at the new place, does it?

I'm going to have to come back early mid October. I need good weather for Frisbee Golf, I need the Penguins to be playing at the new arena, and the Steelers to be playing.

No, it does not.

BTW, the Hawks beat the Devils 2-1 in a SO, so the Devils get a point to regain the division lead. The Pens HAVE to beat the Thrashers today.

HometownGal
04-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Serg and Geno are back for today's game! :banana: :thumbsup:

Not much going on in the 1st thus far. I'd like to see the Pens make a statement in this first period and get a couple of goals behind Moose. :hope:

X-Terminator
04-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Thrashers lead 1-0 at the end of the first. And who might you ask lost his man on the goal? You guessed it - our $14 million man. Good job, Kris.

As for the rest of the period...well, it's an afternoon game, and - repeat after me - the Pens don't play well in afternoon games.

HometownGal
04-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Thrashers lead 1-0 at the end of the first. And who might you ask lost his man on the goal? You guessed it - our $14 million man. Good job, Kris.

As for the rest of the period...well, it's an afternoon game, and - repeat after me - the Pens don't play well in afternoon games.

Add in that the Trashers are playing for their playoff lives. The Pens have had several really great opportunities to put the biscuit in the net but Moose stonewalled 'em.

LETS GO PENS!!!

X-Terminator
04-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Add in that the Trashers are playing for their playoff lives. The Pens have had several really great opportunities to put the biscuit in the net but Moose stonewalled 'em.

LETS GO PENS!!!

Still, these are games the Pens HAVE to win. Desperate or not, the Pens are the better team and they need to start playing like it. Now here they are, down a goal going into the 3rd period, and knowing the Thrashers, they're going to trap the Pens to death.

HometownGal
04-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Still, these are games the Pens HAVE to win. Desperate or not, the Pens are the better team and they need to start playing like it. Now here they are, down a goal going into the 3rd period, and knowing the Thrashers, they're going to trap the Pens to death.

I get and agree with what you're saying and I agree - the Pens really need to turn this one around and come out on top. I was simply saying that the Thrashers are bringing it because they are running out of time to make the playoffs while the Pens are in.

HometownGal
04-03-2010, 02:09 PM
TK ties it up at 2! :banana: :applaudit:

LETS GOOOOOOO PENS!!!

HometownGal
04-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Damn it. Peverley scores to make it 3-2 Thrashers. :banging: :mad:

X-Terminator
04-03-2010, 02:24 PM
*sighs* At this point I give up on the Pens winning the division. They say they want it, but they don't want it. I just hope they can at least finish 4th because the Sens are breathing down their necks for that position too.

SteelCityMan786
04-03-2010, 02:28 PM
*sighs* At this point I give up on the Pens winning the division. They say they want it, but they don't want it. I just hope they can at least finish 4th because the Sens are breathing down their necks for that position too.

They're losing to the Isles 3-0 right now.

Come on Pens. GET THE TIEING GOAL!!!

HometownGal
04-03-2010, 02:37 PM
SERG TIES IT UP AT 3! :banana: :heart: :thumbsup:

ME LOVE ME SERGEI! :love:

HometownGal
04-03-2010, 02:38 PM

You were saying?

I really wish you would be a little more positive. :shake02:

HometownGal
04-03-2010, 02:46 PM
WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!! The Pens win in OT on a bullet by Jordan Leopold! :banana:

Congrats on your first goal big guy! :hatsoff:

XT - As I've told you until I'm purple in the face - NEVER - EVER give up on these guys.

Fire Haley
04-03-2010, 02:50 PM
4-3 Pens win in OT! what a shot by Leopold

good to see geno and gonch back

X-Terminator
04-03-2010, 02:51 PM

Nevermind, I guess they do...

Thank you Gonchar and Leopold...and Jim Slater!

HometownGal
04-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Nevermind, I guess they do...

Thank you Gonchar and Leopold...and Jim Slater!

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3225/Eating_Crow.jpg

:chuckle: :chuckle:

HometownGal
04-03-2010, 02:55 PM
good to see geno and gonch back

Serg + Geno + PP = Goals and a WIN! :banana: :thumbsup:

For the love of God - sign him Shero!!!! :banging: :banging:

X-Terminator
04-03-2010, 02:56 PM
You were saying?

I really wish you would be a little more positive. :shake02:

Let's see what they do against Washington on Tuesday, and hope Carolina helps us out tonight by beating the Devils.

I just get frustrated, because I want this team to get the best possible seed and not have to go through Washington and/or New Jersey to get to the East Final or the SCF, and to do that, they have to beat teams like Atlanta, which thankfully they managed to do today.

Fire Haley
04-03-2010, 03:04 PM
I told you Leopold had a shot. Get that PP going and get everybody healthy and clicking together and the Pens will be ready. No PP was killing them.

WH
04-03-2010, 03:06 PM
I didn't read the thread during the game. But I'm just coming here off of reading the box score.

2 PPG!?!

HOOOLLY MOSES.

WHOO HOOO!

OneForTheToe
04-03-2010, 03:11 PM
This is the first Pen's game I have seen in a while where they reminded me of the teams from the last two seasons. We made the SCF two years in a row by finding ways to geter -done no matter the obstacle. Hot goalie - we eventially get to him ( see Varlamov last year). A team tries a strategy to slow down our horses - we figure it out (see Jersey's trap every year). We need some inspiration - a player takes one for the team (see Max "the fighting" Talbot).

I hope this is the beginning of that type of play through to a third straight SCFs.

OneForTheToe
04-03-2010, 03:14 PM
I think I heard in the wrap up segment on FSN that the Sabres and dem Debils play the last game of the year. If so, then the seeding in the East, from 2 through 4, will probably come down to the last game.

SteelCityMan786
04-03-2010, 03:21 PM
This team will now need to build on this game. They played a GREAT 3rd and OT period. Now we just are looking for that complete game against the Caps.

LETS GO PENS!!!!

For those of you interested the Schedule that remains:

PITTSBURGH:
Tuesday-Washington, Thursday-NY Islanders, April 10-@ Atlanta, April 11-@ NY Islanders
NEW JERSEY:
TONIGHT-@ Carolina, Tuesday-@ Atlanta, Thursday-@ Florida, April 10-NY Islanders, April 11-Buffalo

And since they effect our seeding possibly if the Pens are successful at winning the Atlantic Division
BUFFALO:
TONIGHT-@ Montreal, Tuesday-NY Rangers, Thursday-@ Buffalo, April 10-@ Ottawa, April 11-@ New Jersey

HometownGal
04-03-2010, 03:51 PM
We need some inspiration - a player takes one for the team (see Max "the fighting" Talbot).

And Billy "the ass kickin' senior" Guerrin. :chuckle: :thumbsup:

Let's see what they do against Washington on Tuesday, and hope Carolina helps us out tonight by beating the Devils.

I just get frustrated, because I want this team to get the best possible seed and not have to go through Washington and/or New Jersey to get to the East Final or the SCF, and to do that, they have to beat teams like Atlanta, which thankfully they managed to do today.

One game at a time. They did what they needed to do to get the 2 points today and the PP is much improved with the return of Serg and Geno. Lack of PP goals was killing the team during their absence.

The way I look at it is - you've got to beat some of the best to BE the best. If the key players can stay healthy :hope:, I think they can beat anyone out there, including the Caps who they should have beaten in OT last week with a 2-0 lead in the shootout. :banging: The Debs tend to fold like a cheap suit in the playoffs and as we have discussed many times while out - though Brodeur is still a force to be reckoned with, he has lost a little of his game and is still beatable.

Getting frustrated releases negative energy which is never a good thing. As you've always said - it's "just a game". On top of that, it isn't good for the blood pressure.

I'm going to stay positive, hope for the best, let the chips fall where they may and look forward to the playoffs, no matter what seed they end up having.

X-Terminator
04-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Sens lose 4-1, so the Pens now need just 1 point in their final 4 games to clinch home-ice in the first round. :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
04-03-2010, 04:03 PM
One game at a time. They did what they needed to do to get the 2 points today and the PP is much improved with the return of Serg and Geno. Lack of PP goals was killing the team during their absence.

The way I look at it is - you've got to beat some of the best to BE the best. If the key players can stay healthy :hope:, I think they can beat anyone out there, including the Caps who they should have beaten in OT last week with a 2-0 lead in the shootout. :banging: The Debs tend to fold like a cheap suit in the playoffs and as we have discussed many times while out - though Brodeur is still a force to be reckoned with, he has lost a little of his game and is still beatable.

Getting frustrated releases negative energy which is never a good thing. As you've always said - it's "just a game". On top of that, it isn't good for the blood pressure.

I'm going to stay positive, hope for the best, let the chips fall where they may and look forward to the playoffs, no matter what seed they end up having.

Well I've always said I had complete confidence in the team once the playoffs began and I haven't changed my mind, because as I've said before, the Pens usually bring their A game when the games matter the most. And I agree that there isn't a team in the league that they couldn't beat in a 7-game series. But I also want the road to be at least a little bit "easier", for lack of a better term, for them once they get there. The longer they can delay playing the Caps or Devils, the better...and there's always the chance they could end up playing neither if they both get bounced. That's why winning the division means so much to me and why I get frustrated when they blow golden opportunities to either grab or extend their division lead. But now they're in the driver's seat to at least have home ice in the first round, which is great...but potentially having it in the first 2 rounds would be even better.

HometownGal
04-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Well I've always said I had complete confidence in the team once the playoffs began and I haven't changed my mind, because as I've said before, the Pens usually bring their A game when the games matter the most. And I agree that there isn't a team in the league that they couldn't beat in a 7-game series. But I also want the road to be at least a little bit "easier", for lack of a better term, for them once they get there. The longer they can delay playing the Caps or Devils, the better...and there's always the chance they could end up playing neither if they both get bounced. That's why winning the division means so much to me and why I get frustrated when they blow golden opportunities to either grab or extend their division lead. But now they're in the driver's seat to at least have home ice in the first round, which is great...but potentially having it in the first 2 rounds would be even better.

This is where you and I disagree.

If you are truly a Pens faithful - or a faithful of any team for that matter - you keep the positive vibes going instead of injecting negativity at every turn. As much as I wuv you to pieces, you tend to give up on this team if they fall behind a goal or two. You'd think after all of the crow you've been served up over the last couple of seasons, you'd grow tired of the taste. :chuckle: :flap:

Que cera cera and all that other stuff. I have so much confidence in these guys whether they play the Flyers or the Caps or Debils. Sure home ice is a good thing to have in your favor all the way through, but as they proved last season, in the grand scheme of things, it's playing hard for 60 minutes each and every game whether at Mellon or an opponent's arena that makes all the difference in a W or a L.

Fire Haley
04-03-2010, 05:48 PM
This is where you and I disagree..

I hate it when mom and dad argue.

Kiss and make up already.

HometownGal
04-03-2010, 06:23 PM
I hate it when mom and dad argue.

Kiss and make up already.

Bite me. :chuckle:

OneForTheToe
04-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Poor Killer is now from a broken home.:sadness:

Fire Haley
04-03-2010, 06:33 PM
HTG wears the cheerleader skirts in our family

OneForTheToe
04-03-2010, 06:49 PM
In more important news the Debils are winning 2 -0 while Buffalo is losing.

Fire Haley
04-03-2010, 08:00 PM
This could be a first - Go Habs

X-Terminator
04-03-2010, 09:32 PM
And of course, the Hurricanes were NO help at all, getting shut out 4-0, so the damn Devils STILL have the division lead. Bastards. At least Buffalo lost, not that it means anything right now.

X-Terminator
04-03-2010, 09:38 PM
This team will now need to build on this game. They played a GREAT 3rd and OT period. Now we just are looking for that complete game against the Caps.

LETS GO PENS!!!!

For those of you interested the Schedule that remains:

PITTSBURGH:
Tuesday-Washington, Thursday-NY Islanders, April 10-@ Atlanta, April 11-@ NY Islanders
NEW JERSEY:
TONIGHT-@ Carolina, Tuesday-@ Atlanta, Thursday-@ Florida, April 10-NY Islanders, April 11-Buffalo

And since they effect our seeding possibly if the Pens are successful at winning the Atlantic Division
BUFFALO:
TONIGHT-@ Montreal, Tuesday-NY Rangers, Thursday-@ Buffalo, April 10-@ Ottawa, April 11-@ New Jersey

I think you meant Buffalo is at Boston on Thursday.

The Sabres have the toughest schedule out of all of them. New Jersey's is slightly easier than the Pens', but Atlanta and the Isles are going to be very tough games. The Pens basically have to win out and hope for the best. Losing to Tampa Bay could very well have cost them the division.

SteelCityMan786
04-03-2010, 11:44 PM
I think you meant Buffalo is at Boston on Thursday.

The Sabres have the toughest schedule out of all of them. New Jersey's is slightly easier than the Pens', but Atlanta and the Isles are going to be very tough games. The Pens basically have to win out and hope for the best. Losing to Tampa Bay could very well have cost them the division.

:doh: Yeah I did. Why in the heck would they be playing themselves. Silly me. :chuckle:

Anyway, the Devils won tonight 4-0.

Shea
04-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Really cool seating link, XT. Thanks for posting that. I bookmarked it because I'm getting my ass there one day and it will help when picking tickets!

Just four games left. All I'm hoping for is that Sid gets 50 and for nobody to get hurt.

Other than that - bring on the playoffs! :tt03:

And what do you wear?

I'm thinking something along the lines of nothing but a Pens' thong and one of those hats with the two beers perched on each side to slurp it all up.

I'm not far off, am I?

(Oh crap ........ just cracked myself up once again :sofunny:)

HometownGal
04-04-2010, 06:58 AM

And I'm also the most sane. :flap: :wink:

Since we're "fam-u-lee", guess I can't ask you to zip up my skirt anymore. :chuckle: :wink:

WH
04-04-2010, 07:43 AM
The NHL needs to fix how they award points for Wins in Regulation and OT. 3 points for a win in Reg. 2 points for a win in OT and 1 point for a loss in OT.

Handing out 3 points in OT and only 2 in Regulation is silly.

Fire Haley
04-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Daaaad!

Mom's picking on me again - tell her to get back in the kitchen and bake us some pies.

WH
04-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Daaaad!

Mom's picking on me again - tell her to get back in the kitchen and bake us some pies.

Who cut the chain attaching her to stove in the first place?

HometownGal
04-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Daaaad!

I do make a mean apple cinnamon pie but my specialty is a knuckle sandwich. Would you like it with or without mayo? :chef::boxing:

Shea
04-05-2010, 12:19 AM
I can't find anything about Kunitz's injury. I wonder if it's serious.

Not sure what will happen in these playoffs, but it would go a long way if everyone is healthy. :hope:

Fire Haley
04-05-2010, 11:11 AM
We can't afford to lose Kunitz- he was a big factor in the playoffs last year.

Nothing from the team report

LW Chris Kunitz, who has been plagued by injuries all season, left the game because of an undisclosed ailment and did not return. The severity and nature of the injury is unknown. - he's listed as questionable for Tuesday's game against Washington

WH
04-05-2010, 12:20 PM
We can't afford to lose Kunitz- he was a big factor in the playoffs last year.

Nothing from the team report

LW Chris Kunitz, who has been plagued by injuries all season, left the game because of an undisclosed ailment and did not return. The severity and nature of the injury is unknown. - he's listed as questionable for Tuesday's game against Washington
Is he going to pull a Sweed and dissapear off the face of the earth?

Fire Haley
04-05-2010, 12:23 PM
The only RUMOR I heard is that it's some sort of shoulder separation that could keep him out a few weeks.

steelpride12
04-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Hey guys have not been on in a little sorry busy weekend, but good win against the Thrashers and I saw about Kunitz. Im so sick of this undisclosed injury junk it's garbage why they can't say what it is! I just hope this team has 0 injuries heading into the offseason right now!

X-Terminator
04-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Hey guys have not been on in a little sorry busy weekend, but good win against the Thrashers and I saw about Kunitz. Im so sick of this undisclosed injury junk it's garbage why they can't say what it is! I just hope this team has 0 injuries heading into the offseason right now!

You think teams are tight-lipped about injuries now? Wait until the playoffs start. Not even the CIA, MI5 or the Mossad will be able to find out what an injury is.

SteelCityMom
04-05-2010, 08:08 PM

Yeah, they pretty much do it on purpose, especially around this time of year. They don't want the other team to have any kind of advantage of knowing where to hit a guy to make him hurt more, or even take him out of the game.

Shea
04-05-2010, 11:05 PM
The only RUMOR I heard is that it's some sort of shoulder separation that could keep him out a few weeks.

I hope that's not the case. Playoffs start in nine days.

Ovechkin better keep his emotions under control tomorrow night. Him pulling another stupid that would result in another injured Pen is going to seriously piss me off.

Playing the neanderthal, although fun because of the intensity and rivalry, always makes me a bit nervous.

Shea
04-06-2010, 12:46 AM
More Than 50 Former Penguins To Return Thursday To Celebrate Final Regular Season Game At Mellon Arena

More than 50 former Penguins, covering every era of the team’s history since its inception in 1967, will be on hand to celebrate the final regular season game ever at Mellon Arena Thursday night, when the Pens take on the New York Islanders.

Fans are asked to be in their seats for the pre-game ceremony by 7:20 p.m.

Among those in attendance will be Hockey Hall of Famer Andy Bathgate, who scored the first goal in Penguins history in a 2-1 loss to Montreal on Oct. 11, 1967 – in a building that was then known as the “Civic Arena.”

Thursday’s game will be the 1,667th and last regular season game at the arena, before the Penguins move across the street to the spectacular new Consol Energy Center next season.

Also on hand will be the three Penguins who have won the MVP award at the NHL All-Star Game – Mario Lemieux, Syl Apps and Greg Polis – as well as Hockey Hall of Famers Paul Coffey, Bryan Trottier, Craig Patrick and Larry Murphy and fan favorites such as Jean Pronovost, Dave Burrows, Pierre Larouche and Bryan Watson.

The esteemed list of alums includes the four men who were both players and head coaches for the Penguins – Eddie Olczyk, Rick Kehoe, Ken Schinkel and Gene Ubriaco.

The alums will attend the Penguins’ morning skate on Thursday, then take a tour of the Consol Energy Center construction site in the afternoon.

Thursday also will be Fan Appreciation Night, and current Penguins players will give 20 lucky fans the “Shirts Off Our Backs’ following the game.

This sounds pretty damn cool.

Hope you guys in the Burgh will be in house to see this and also hope that coverage of this ceremony will be shown on my NHL package as well.

Still kicking myself in the ass for never making it to Pittsburgh in time to attend a game at the Igloo before the doors shut for good. :doh:

SteelCityMom
04-06-2010, 12:53 AM
In addition to that Shea, every person attending the game that night will get a commemorative ticket from Wendell August Forge.

There's a video on how the tickets are made attached to this article as well.

Penguins Add 'Commemorative Ticket' Giveaway To Final Regular Season Game at Mellon Arena
Tuesday, 03.23.2010 / 9:00 AM / News
Pittsburgh Penguins
The Pittsburgh Penguins will distribute a ‘commemorative ticket’ to all fans in attendance on Thursday, April 8 when the final regular season game in Mellon Arena’s history is played.

Each one-of-a-kind, aluminum ticket, presented by Trib Total Media, will be handmade by local artisans and craftsmen at Grove City-based Wendell August Forge.

The commemorative ticket will feature Mellon Arena using a design similar to the actual game ticket used by Season Ticket Holders that evening.

Wendell August Forge, America’s oldest and largest forge, has been producing hand-wrought ornamental metalware since 1923. The business suffered a catastrophic loss on March 6, 2010 when a fire destroyed the company’s workshop, offices and store in Grove City – burning them to the ground.

“When we received the order from the Penguins in early March, we were euphoric,” said Wendell August Forge’s president Will Knecht. “Days later, tragedy hit and our company’s immediate future was uncertain until the Penguins reached out to offer their support. This order is historic not only because it is the single-largest order in the Forge’s history, but will also be the first piece produced since the fire. I can assure you there is a lot of pride going into each ticket.”

“The Penguins and Trib Total Media are looking forward to celebrating the final regular season game at Mellon Arena with our fans and this commemorative ticket,” said Penguins vice president of marketing James Santilli. “We are grateful to have the opportunity to work with a local company like Wendell August Forge that offers such unique products.”

Watch a video below of how the tickets are made.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=522358

WH
04-06-2010, 06:21 AM
Those commemorative tickets are even more valuable now that Wendell August Forge burnt to the ground.

In honor of those 50 players coming they better absolutely BURY whatever team they play.

steelpride12
04-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Tough call, but it's true Kunitz is out tonight, but Im pretty sure Malkin will play.

X-Terminator
04-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Tough call, but it's true Kunitz is out tonight, but Im pretty sure Malkin will play.

Disco Dan said that Kunitz is "day-to-day," so the injury must not be serious. Mike Rupp will be back in the lineup to take his place. Malkin and Gonchar both practiced yesterday with no problems and will be in the lineup tonight.

steelpride12
04-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Should be an excellent match up then tonight with the Caps have several players out and Kunitz means a lot to the physical up and giddy play, but shouldn't be a terrible loss!

Fire Haley
04-06-2010, 02:42 PM
No

More

Injuries

from the Pens site

Forward Mike Rupp wasn't thrilled about being a healthy scratch Saturday for the first time this season. It looks like his return to action will come tonight. Left wing Chris Kunitz likely won't play tonight because of an undisclosed injury, leaving the door open for Rupp's return. "I just want to get back in there and show everyone what I can do," Rupp said. Rupp has scored a career-high 13 goals this season. He had entered Saturday as the only player other than Jordan Staal and Craig Adams to participate in every game this season.

steelpride12
04-06-2010, 06:53 PM
No Malkin tonight either.

steelpride12
04-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Semin blows go figure who else by GoGo and scores. 1 to 0 Caps. Sigh Goligoski comes through again.

steelpride12
04-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Wow what one ugly PP for the Pens I can't believe I saw that.

steelpride12
04-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Devils are up 2 to 0 on Thrashers and Sabres are beating the Rangers...just a bad start to the night.

steelpride12
04-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Pens have allowed the first goal in 8 straight games, not the record im looking for. Sorry everyone just not on the confident mood right now.

steelpride12
04-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Knuble scores and once again Fluery gives up a soft goal looking not so good late in the season and it's 2 to 0 early.

steelpride12
04-06-2010, 07:39 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! Sid rips it into the net on a sick wrister on the Pens PP to make it 2 to 1! Come on boys!

SteelCityMom
04-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Sid scores! I missed if it was on the PP or not, but that's 48 for him now and the Pens are right back in it.

SteelCityMom
04-06-2010, 07:41 PM
:banging::banging::banging:

And Fleischmen (sp) scores to make it 3-1

steelpride12
04-06-2010, 07:41 PM
10 seconds later the Caps score to make it 3 to 1. Im ticked seriously 3 goals in the second already COME ON!

steelpride12
04-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Fluery pulled and sadly well deserved.

SteelCityMom
04-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Fleury pulled already....good decision.

SteelCityMom
04-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Sorry Steelpride lol.

SteelCityMom
04-06-2010, 07:49 PM
:banana:

Jordan Leopold makes it 3-2 (caps)!

steelpride12
04-06-2010, 07:50 PM
GOOALLLLL!!!! Leopold shoots the puck from the point to cut the lead and it's a 3 to 2 caps lead now!
GO PENS!

steelpride12
04-06-2010, 08:05 PM
4 to 2 Caps end of second period. Games getting out of reach.

steelpride12
04-06-2010, 08:28 PM
GOOOALLLLLL!!!! Exactly what the Pens needed a quick goal early in the period again coming from Leopold! Great passing from Sid and Dupers! 4 to 3!

steelpride12
04-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Andddddd Caps PP and Ovie Scores to make it 5 to 3 and I call that the dagger. Down only one we had to tie it up and couldn't.

steelerdude15
04-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Come on Pens!

Edman
04-06-2010, 08:52 PM
We're so bad against Washington this year it's not even funny. Geez.

steelpride12
04-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Im fuming just going to stay off here tonight DAMMIT!!! Ovechkin with the empty netter with .02 left in the game to tie Sid at 48 and Pens fall 6 to 3 just embarrassing.

Fluery is no where ready for the playoffs his play is sub par! Terrible. I hate that so many teams are sweeping the Pens it's so embarassing. Well Devils have two points over the Pens in the division and 4th spot looks more reasonable.

Shea
04-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Yep, a pretty craptastic hockey night all the way around. I guess one plus was that nobody seemed to get injured.

I knew when they pulled Johnson that Ovi would be the one to get the empty netter.

steelerdude15
04-06-2010, 11:09 PM
I hate that so many teams are sweeping the Pens it's so embarassing.
Yeah, I feel you on that one. It's getting old, swept by the Caps and Devils in one year. :banging: I hope things turn around when playoffs come...

WH
04-07-2010, 05:52 AM
I watched the highlights of the game last night.

Jesus, Fleury lives at both ends of the goaltending spectrum possession to possession. 1 possession he looks like a goaltending god. The next possession he looks like a 12 year old.

HometownGal
04-07-2010, 05:59 AM
This team is built for the playoffs and only 3 more games to go in the regular season. I hope we can get a point over the next 3 games so that we can clinch that #4 spot which means we'd most likely be playing the Sens, which doesn't thrill me at all.

X-Terminator
04-07-2010, 07:29 AM
The Caps won 3 of the 4 meetings last year, and the Pens beat them in the playoffs...when it counted the most.

So they got swept by the Devils and Caps. Big whoop. Is it disappointing? Sure it is. So is the likelihood of the Pens not winning the division title. But in the grand scheme of things, it means absolutely nothing. The playoffs are a completely different story, and this team is battle-tested. There are 18 players returning from last year's Cup-winning team, and 10 of those remain from the 2008 team that lost in the Final. Anyone who doesn't believe in this team starting next Wednesday night...well, the door is to your right. If Humpty Dumpty (Bruce Boudreau) and Capt. Caveman believe the Pens will be ready and that they are the team to beat, then who are we to disagree?

LET'S GO PENS!!!!

steelpride12
04-07-2010, 07:56 AM
I agree completely X-T and that his been my mindset that the Pens will come out on all cylinders when the playoff starts, but there are several things that still bug me. The biggest being Fluery. Yes I know he will tighten up for the PO's, but he has been down right sub par to say the least. Last season at this time he was gold and I don't see that YET.

Second is the defense. I mean the number odd man rushes and breakaways we give up in a week scares me and just having GoGo on the ice frightens me. I know Gonch anchors them down strong and Leopold showed he can score, but I still feel for them when it in their end.

Fire Haley
04-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Jesus, Fleury lives at both ends of the goaltending spectrum possession to possession. 1 possession he looks like a goaltending god. The next possession he looks like a 12 year old.

yep - I say Fleury lost his edge sitting on the bench as the 3rd string goalie watching his betters play in the Olympics. That messed with his head.

steelerdude15
04-07-2010, 11:38 AM
I hope Fleury returns to full strength and is gold again when the playoffs hit. Same thing with Malkin and it was good to see Gonchar was back on the ice last night. Pens will be playing again on Thursday against the Islanders! Let's Go Pens!

WH
04-07-2010, 11:47 AM
I wonder what the Fleury lovers' excuse will be for him now? He's getting a little old to play the ''he's still young'' card.

X-Terminator
04-07-2010, 12:09 PM
I wonder what the Fleury lovers' excuse will be for him now? He's getting a little old to play the ''he's still young'' card.

Yeah, backstopping his team to within 2 games of the Cup 2 years ago and a Cup victory last year doesn't give him any rope at all. :rolleyes:

If anything, I don't know what else he needs to do to get his constant critics off his back. He should have won the Conn Smythe Trophy instead of Zetterberg 2 years ago and could have been considered last year too. Means nothing, I guess.

Oh BTW, those alleged "betters" have a combined 3 Stanley Cups, all won by Brodeur and none in the last 7 years. Luongo not only has never won a Cup, he's never gotten his team past the 2nd round.

WH
04-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Yeah, backstopping his team to within 2 games of the Cup 2 years ago and a Cup victory last year doesn't give him any rope at all. :rolleyes:

That's great for him. Good memories. That doesn't excuse the fact that he's been inconsistent AT BEST all year . You would think an elite goaltender that took his team to within 2 games of the Cup 2 years ago and a Cup victory last year would come out looking like one. He's hasn't.

If he rights himself and plays solid and the Pens go deep in the playoffs, I'll eat my crow sandwich. Right now though, :coffee:

WH
04-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Oh BTW, those alleged "betters" have a combined 3 Stanley Cups, all won by Brodeur and none in the last 7 years. Luongo not only has never won a Cup, he's never gotten his team past the 2nd round.

Unless he was being serious, I think that's the irony in his statement. After Brodeur - Fleury should have been in goal for Canada. I think the decision to go with Luongo is what affected him so negatively.

Fire Haley
04-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I think people are just looking for a scapegoat - just admit this Pens team might not be as good as last years.

Gogo is a turnover machine - Eaton has been worse than invisible and Staal has done nothing for months - start there.

steelpride12
04-07-2010, 12:40 PM
I thought Staal was having a great year Killer IMO. 48 points and 21 goals so far im impressed.

SteelCityMom
04-07-2010, 12:41 PM
That's great for him. Good memories. That doesn't excuse the fact that he's been inconsistent AT BEST all year . You would think an elite goaltender that took his team to within 2 games of the Cup 2 years ago and a Cup victory last year would come out looking like one. He's hasn't.

If he rights himself and plays solid and the Pens go deep in the playoffs, I'll eat my crow sandwich. Right now though, :coffee:

Fleury has never been great throughout a regular season. Some goalies have it under pressure....some don't.

SteelCityMom
04-07-2010, 12:44 PM
I think people are just looking for a scapegoat - just admit this Pens team might not be as good as last years.

Gogo is a turnover machine - Eaton has been worse than invisible and Staal has done nothing for months - start there.

I disagree about Staal, he's a Selke contender IMO. I agree with the rest though.

I'm happy the Pens are making it to the playoffs again this year, but I'm not so delusional that I think they'll make it to the SCF again. If they do....great, but in this cap era of hockey, it's unreasonable to expect a team to make it to the finals every year. I think the main reason the Pens may not make it is simply the fact that so many players on the team have had extended seasons the past 2 years. It wears down on a player for sure.

X-Terminator
04-07-2010, 12:51 PM

I agree that he has not played well for the most part this season, but he didn't play well much of last season either. He has never put up elite numbers in any regular season other than wins. But when it counted, he was money in the bank. I'll take that every time, especially if it ends in hoisting that 35 lb silver cup thingy. I'm confident he will rise up again.

Given that there are 18 players from that team still here, I'm not ready to say they aren't as good as last year's team. Has everyone forgotten how inconsistent and downright bad they were for half of last season? That they were out of the playoff picture last Valentine's Day? If they had faltered for even an additional 5 or so games, they probably do not make the playoffs last season despite that hot streak. Let's play the postseason first before we make that determination.

Staal has done nothing for months? Are you talking about the guy that leads the team in +/- with a +23, while playing against the other teams' top lines most nights? Goligoski I'll agree with, but before we start throwing darts at Mark Eaton, how about we throw them at our new $14 million man Kris Letang instead, who was -3 last night and looked bad doing it. He has been a huge disappointment this season, yet somehow management felt he was worth $3.5 million and losing Sergei Gonchar. :doh:

Fire Haley
04-07-2010, 12:54 PM
I thought Staal was having a great year Killer IMO. 48 points and 21 goals so far im impressed.

I'm not talking about the YEAR, I'm talking about NOW - heading into the playoffs.

He's cold as hell - 0 points in the last 5 games

X-Terminator
04-07-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm happy the Pens are making it to the playoffs again this year, but I'm not so delusional that I think they'll make it to the SCF again. If they do....great, but in this cap era of hockey, it's unreasonable to expect a team to make it to the finals every year. I think the main reason the Pens may not make it is simply the fact that so many players on the team have had extended seasons the past 2 years. It wears down on a player for sure.

That's not going to matter to the bandwagon fans. They now expect the Pens to win the Cup every year, and God help them if they don't. Not much different than many Steelers fans in that regard. And if the lose to the Sens in the first round, oh man...you'll think you're in Beirut in 1982 after the fans all go apeshit.

I'm not talking about the YEAR, I'm talking about NOW - heading into the playoffs.

He's cold as hell - 0 points in the last 5 games

You said MONTHS, not the last 5 GAMES. Big difference there. If we get what we got out of him last year in the playoffs - solid D and PK with a few goals here and there - I'll take it.

Fire Haley
04-07-2010, 02:32 PM
I tend to exaggerate - I live in the present.

Who made you the trial lawyer around here?

stlrtruck
04-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Here's a question then, would you had rather swept the dweebles and the crapitals during the season and then have them outplay us in the playoffs? Look, we, as fans, need to recognize that not every year is a banner year, although that would be great. While beating certain teams during the season is icing on the cake, the important aspect is to win when it matters most and that, for hockey season is April, May, and June!

steelpride12
04-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I tend to exaggerate - I live in the present.

Who made you the trial lawyer around here?

You don't judge a player out of the last 5 games. It's a season effort and he has been consistent all season long with the points and also including his PK efforts and solid offensive D.

And I agree X-T, You can always separate the bandwagons when they expect the cup every season and if they lose out early get bashed because "they suck."

steelerdude15
04-07-2010, 04:52 PM
And I agree X-T, You can always separate the bandwagons when they expect the cup every season and if they lose out early get bashed because "they suck."
Sounds like Raven fans. :chuckle:

steelpride12
04-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Sounds like Raven fans. :chuckle:

Flyers fans too! :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
04-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Flyers fans too! :thumbsup:

Flyers fans have an inferiority complex AND are paranoid...but they've always been loyal. They were still packing them in back in 06-07 when they finished with the worst record in the league. Something that cannot be said for far too many so-called "Pens fans."

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Flyers fans have an inferiority complex AND are paranoid...but they've always been loyal. They were still packing them in back in 06-07 when they finished with the worst record in the league. Something that cannot be said for far too many so-called "Pens fans."

That's the only thing I hate about our fans. That a lot or most now are bandwagon and just jumped on when Sid came around. Its embarrassing to watch them not know any facts past two seasons!:banging:

HometownGal
04-08-2010, 05:50 AM
Are you talking about the guy that leads the team in +/- with a +23, while playing against the other teams' top lines most nights? Goligoski I'll agree with, but before we start throwing darts at Mark Eaton, how about we throw them at our new $14 million man Kris Letang instead, who was -3 last night and looked bad doing it. He has been a huge disappointment this season, yet somehow management felt he was worth $3.5 million and losing Sergei Gonchar. :doh:

I don't understand the Staal hate either. :doh: As for Gogo, I agree and you know how I feel about Eaton - we talked about that the other night at the game. I think he's gone next season but I could be wrong.

Spot on re: Letang. If we end up losing Serg, I'm going to be one pissed off fan.

Fire Haley
04-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't hate Staal - but he disappeared when we needed him the most these last 2 weeks.

Without Gonchar and Malkin this team looked lost and nobody stepped up.

WH
04-08-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't hate Staal

Oh, I do. This season - A Flash in the pan. He'll turtle back up for a few years until people rumor trading him, then he'll step up...then turtle again.

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Oh, I do. This season - A Flash in the pan. He'll turtle back up for a few years until people rumor trading him, then he'll step up...then turtle again.

I can't believe this hate for Staal it truly is unbelievable.

SteelCityMom
04-08-2010, 03:46 PM

:doh:

Yeah, let's just get rid of our best defensive forward and best penalty killer. That would be great.

Give the kid a break, he's 21 and is a possible contender for the Selke. You just don't let that kind of talent walk out the door. He's only ever had one bad year really, so I'm not sure how you consider him turtling. I mean, if this season is just a flash in the pan, then his rookie year and last season must have just been "flash in the pan" seasons as well. :noidea:

Another thing about Staal that most people don't realize, is that he's only missed one regular season game in his career, and that was his rookie season. Kid's tough as hell. In fact...he's playing his 300th consecutive game tonight.

SteelCityMom
04-08-2010, 03:47 PM

I don't get it either...and these kind of knee-jerk reactions are why I left the Pens forum I was on last year. I think many just single him out because he doesn't put up the kind of points that Crosby or Malkin do at Center.

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 04:36 PM
I don't get it either...and these kind of knee-jerk reactions are why I left the Pens forum I was on last year. I think many just single him out because he doesn't put up the kind of points that Crosby or Malkin do at Center.

It's easy to pick out the bandwagon fans, and not calling anyone out of here, when they bash the players like Staal who do some much for team on offense and defense on the road to the Selke trophy and only 21!:banging:

Fire Haley
04-08-2010, 05:25 PM
rah rah siss boom bah

Shhhhhh, the censors have arrived.......do all the cheerleaders hike up their skirts on cue or what?

SteelCityMom
04-08-2010, 05:36 PM
rah rah siss boom bah

Shhhhhh, the censors have arrived.......do all the cheerleaders hike up their skirts on cue or what?

No, it's just there's a difference between criticism (for example, what you said) and just blindly bashing a player.

Fire Haley
04-08-2010, 05:50 PM
There's a game tonight, btw

Islanders on the NHL channel

Sid needs to get those goals back from Ovie

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Wow what an epic pre-game ceremony for all the legends on the ice. It's a shame the fans are half bandwagon and give half ass boo's for the older players, but Gary Robert's get's the biggest behind Lemieux!

X-Terminator
04-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Wow what an epic pre-game ceremony for all the legends on the ice. It's a shame the fans are half bandwagon and give half ass boo's for the older players, but Gary Robert's get's the biggest behind Lemieux!

That ceremony, while it did nearly bring a tear to my red and itchy eye, showed beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Penguins have one of the biggest bandwagons going today. It was shameful how greats like Pronovost, Larouche, Stackhouse and Trottier barely got a golf clap from those "fans."

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 06:49 PM
GOOALLL!!! Less than 30 seconds into the game a wrister from Orpik into the net. Possibly deflected by Cooke! 1 to 0!

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 06:51 PM
That ceremony, while it did nearly bring a tear to my red and itchy eye, showed beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Penguins have one of the biggest bandwagons going today. It was shameful how greats like Pronovost, Larouche, Stackhouse and Trottier barely got a golf clap from those "fans."

It is! I know im only 19 and watched since I was 6 and didn't get to see them play, but I know what they did for this team and how great they were and it's a serious shame of how these fans treated them!

HometownGal
04-08-2010, 06:56 PM

Doesn't surprise me at all. XT and I hear that shit about Staal and other players just about every game at the arena. Just like the Steelers bandwagon - the Pens bandwagon is on tilt.

I am extremely pleased with Staal this season and he is one of the best defensive centers in the league imho. Funny thing is - most of these haters didn't even know Pittsburgh had a hockey franchise until 2005. :rolleyes:

WOO HOOOO!!!! GoGo finally steps up to the plate! Pens up 2-0 early in the 1st! :banana: :applaudit:

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 06:57 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! GoGo after some great puck movement tape to tape on the PP and he rips it top corner 2 to 0 Pens early still!

HometownGal
04-08-2010, 07:03 PM

I'm showing my age here, as I remembered every single one of those guys re-introduced tonight and the great contributions they made to the organization. :applaudit: :hatsoff: Back in the day, all you had to do to receive a personally autographed picture of one of the players was to write them a letter and send it to the Pens office and they actually forwarded the letter to the individual players. Within a few weeks, I'd receive the autographed pic and I actually received hand-written letters from Jean Pronovost, Syl Apps, Davey Burrows and Nick Harbaruk and have had them for years in safe-keeping. :hatsoff: Seeing Denny Owchar again brought back some very fond memories - you know the history. :wink:

We've had a plethora of talent coming through Pittsburgh over the years! :thumbsup: :drink:

LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Moulson from the point to make it 2 to 1.

HometownGal
04-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Isles score - Pens up 2-1. :banging:

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 07:18 PM
GOOOALLLL!! A great turnover and Malkin has enough room to take it down and get it past Biron! 3 to 1! What a difference he makes for the PP and 5 on 5!

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Dang! Pens look sloppy in their own zone 3 to 2!

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Rupp and Gilles go at it! Not much there.

HometownGal
04-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Rupp and Gilles tag for a few secs until Gilles knocks him down. :chuckle: Keep that energy going!

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 07:25 PM
GOOOALLLLL!!!! What a goal scoring game so far! Sid scores in the last minute of the first to make it 4 to 2 Pens and his 49th of the season!

X-Terminator
04-08-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm showing my age here, as I remembered every single one of those guys re-introduced tonight and the great contributions they made to the organization. :applaudit: :hatsoff: Back in the day, all you had to do to receive a personally autographed picture of one of the players was to write them a letter and send it to the Pens office and they actually forwarded the letter to the individual players. Within a few weeks, I'd receive the autographed pic and I actually received hand-written letters from Jean Pronovost, Syl Apps, Davey Burrows and Nick Harbaruk and have had them for years in safe-keeping. :hatsoff: Seeing Denny Owchar again brought back some very fond memories - you know the history. :wink:

We've had a plethora of talent coming through Pittsburgh over the years! :thumbsup: :drink:

LETS GO PENS!

That's awesome! Hockey players are good people, no question, and that proves it. I'm sure players today would do the same thing, but with all of the commitments they have from the team and in real life, most players just can't do that anymore. Their agents would probably be up in arms too - you know how greedy most of them are. Yes, I was thinking about you when I heard Denny Owchar's name mentioned and wondered if you were home and watching. :wink02:

X-Terminator
04-08-2010, 07:31 PM
BTW, the Pens' D has been terrible tonight - they are allowing way too many scoring chances and not protecting the front of the net. That HAS to be better going into the playoffs. Thankfully Biron has looked worse and the Pens have already dropped 4 on them.

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Devils and Florida tied at 1 in the second. Important game.

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 07:50 PM
WOW What amazing saves from Fluery on the Pens PP! He made about 3 in a row as the defense just layed back! Thank you!

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Ahh this defense is horrible! 4 to 3 now and they just keep scoring, a playoff team would tear us apart!

X-Terminator
04-08-2010, 08:05 PM
They had better not play like this going into the playoffs, because this has been absolutely brutal to watch. Guys are just standing around while the Isles do whatever they want in front of the net. That is not winning hockey.

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 08:15 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! A Sick shot from Sid! 5 to 3 Pens and im not sure if it's Crosby's or Guerin!

HometownGal
04-08-2010, 08:17 PM
6-3 Pens on a goal by TK! :banana:

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 08:18 PM
GOOALLLLLL!!! Tyler Kennedy rippes it into the net his own man screened him for it! 6 to 3 PENS!

HometownGal
04-08-2010, 08:18 PM
SID GETS HIS 50TH!!!! :banana: :applaudit:

CONGRATS! :drink:

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 08:19 PM
They gave that 5th goal to Sid and he has 50 on the season! Woo congrats Sid what mile mark! Now 2 ahead of Capt. Caveman!

HometownGal
04-08-2010, 08:21 PM
GOOALLLLLL!!! Tyler Kennedy rippes it into the net his own man screened him for it! 6 to 3 PENS!

You mean the emperor of sucktitude Jordan Staal? :jawdrop: :laughing:

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Update:Sid has 50 and Ovie and Stamkos now have 48 and Florida is up 2 to 1 on the Devils

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 08:22 PM
You mean the emperor of sucktitude Jordan Staal? :jawdrop: :laughing:

I didn't make the suck statement Im on his side, but yes that terrible 21 year old deserved Selke winner! :chuckle:

HometownGal
04-08-2010, 08:24 PM
On this very special night, I'd just love to see Sid with the hat trick! :hope: :hope: :thumbsup:

HometownGal
04-08-2010, 08:25 PM
I didn't make the suck statement Im on his side, but yes that terrible 21 year old deserved Selke winner! :chuckle:

I never said you did! Just sayin'.

HometownGal
04-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Update:Sid has 50 and Ovie and Stamkos now have 48 and Florida is up 2 to 1 on the Devils

:hope: :thumbsup: :hope:

C'mon Florida!

X-Terminator
04-08-2010, 08:34 PM
That shot by Sid hit Billy's hip and deflected in, so they should change the scoring...which will bring down a shower of boos from the crowd I'm sure. DVRs are your friend. So he'll have to wait to get #50, but he will pick up his 500th career point, so congrats to him for that!

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Florida up 3 to 1 with 6 min. in the 3rd.

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 08:44 PM
GOOOALLLLLL!!! His 20th of the season Guerin! From Dupuis smacking away at the net to make it 7 to 3!

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 08:46 PM
3 to 2 now Florida still leads

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Oh dang! Poni gets gets a 5 min. major game misconduct for boarding and he done for the night!

X-Terminator
04-08-2010, 09:00 PM
New Jersey has lost, so the Pens will be tied with them once again. Thanks Florida! :thumbsup:

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Devils lose 3 to 2 to the Panthers so good news for the Pens!

X-Terminator
04-08-2010, 09:26 PM
And that's it - the last regular season game at Mellon is in the books. Big win on a big night. The Hockey Gods were smiling down on the Pens and Mellon tonight, in more ways than one. So now, all that's left is playoff hockey, and let's hope the last game ever at Mellon ends with the Pens hoisting the Stanley Cup again!

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Ahh so sad! 13 years straight to at least one Pens game and I truly will miss this wonderful arena and all the memories old and new that have happened here in the best city in the world!

Just good to see this team score 7 and get some momentum at the end of the season and look good all around 5 on 5, the PP, and the defense was still shaky!

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 09:45 PM
You were right X-T the goal was given to Guerin so he has 21 and his second of the night for him! Sid is back to 49 still ahead of Ovie and Stamkos and he is only 3 points behind Sendin for points leader!

X-Terminator
04-08-2010, 09:51 PM
You were right X-T the goal was given to Guerin so he has 21 and his second of the night for him! Sid is back to 49 still ahead of Ovie and Stamkos and he is only 3 points behind Sendin for points leader!

Yeah, and it only took them an hour to figure out what I did in about 30 seconds. :noidea:

My guess is they had already changed the scoring, but didn't want to disappoint the fans, so they waited until after the game.

Shea
04-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Damn, I wanted that 50 to stand. Two more games left for him to get it though. Hope he does.

Sid's in the running to get some more serious hardware to add to his trophy case.

Would prefer one more shot at Stanley, and would love sending the ole barn out with the Cup being raised within (how cool would that be??), but I'm also rooting for our boys in the awards department.

Shea
04-08-2010, 11:17 PM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/baby.jpg

Oh my god - I could seriously just eat up this little baby. So cute!

WH
04-09-2010, 12:58 AM
If it makes me less ''bandwagony'', I've hated Staal since day 2.

More often than not Jordan Staal gets the puck either stolen off of him OR he falls down while handling the puck OR someone just pushes him over with their index finger. If you don't see that, you might need your eyes checked.

steelpride12
04-09-2010, 06:33 AM

More often than not Jordan Staal gets the puck either stolen off of him OR he falls down while handling the puck OR someone just pushes him over with their index finger. If you don't see that, you might need your eyes checked.

Hmm that just doesn't make when 21 goals, 48 points over shadow's that and also that he is close to if not the best offensive defense men and great on the PK. Also could win the Selke.

SteelCityMom
04-09-2010, 09:22 AM

Of course that's going to happen sometimes, it happens to all the players. Especially on his SH breakaways when he's got 2 or 3 guys on him. But that means that he's doing an excellent job on the PK, even if he gets the puck taken away or gets knocked down. I think we'd be much worse off without him on the Pens and without him centering (arguably) one of the best 3rd lines in hockey. Is there a better defensive forward that you think the Pens could have gotten in his draft class or on a reasonable trade for Staal?

This also isn't what you originally said though. I'd still like to know how you think Staal is having a "flash in the pan" season (which I'm assuming means you think he's having a strong season this year), when he's putting up the same kind of numbers he's put up in his rookie season and last season.

Fire Haley
04-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Like I said, this team is nothing without Gonchar and Malkin.

WH
04-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Of course that's going to happen sometimes, it happens to all the players. Especially on his SH breakaways when he's got 2 or 3 guys on him. But that means that he's doing an excellent job on the PK, even if he gets the puck taken away or gets knocked down. I think we'd be much worse off without him on the Pens and without him centering (arguably) one of the best 3rd lines in hockey. Is there a better defensive forward that you think the Pens could have gotten in his draft class or on a reasonable trade for Staal?

This also isn't what you originally said though. I'd still like to know how you think Staal is having a "flash in the pan" season (which I'm assuming means you think he's having a strong season this year), when he's putting up the same kind of numbers he's put up in his rookie season and last season.

Stop bringing facts into this discussion. I will blindly hate him all I want.

steelerdude15
04-09-2010, 10:00 AM
I was very happy to see that Mellon Arena's last game was a victory. It would be really nice to see them win the Stanley Cup in the Burgh, in Mellon that is. Only time will tell and we'll see. Go Pens!!!

X-Terminator
04-09-2010, 10:00 AM

And again, he's just 21 years old. What do you expect? Goligoski falls down every 5 minutes, gets run over like a speed bump and turns the puck over like crazy, yet it seems like I'm the only one who criticizes him for it. No, Staal isn't a great puck-handler (though he's improved). I agree that most times he doesn't use his size to his advantage, which is why you never see him in front of the net on the PP, and he isn't a hitter. But I'm not going to sit here and throw the kid under the bus when he does so many other things well and is having a career year points-wise in the first year of a big contract. And he is only going to get better. But hey, if you'd rather someone else take him, I'm sure there would be 25 other teams lining up outside the door to take that "dead weight" off our hands. :coffee:

SteelCityMom
04-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Stop bringing facts into this discussion. I will blindly hate him all I want.

Yeah, I've already gathered that. :chuckle:

SteelCityMom
04-09-2010, 11:14 AM
And again, he's just 21 years old. What do you expect? Goligoski falls down every 5 minutes, gets run over like a speed bump and turns the puck over like crazy, yet it seems like I'm the only one who criticizes him for it. No, Staal isn't a great puck-handler (though he's improved). I agree that most times he doesn't use his size to his advantage, which is why you never see him in front of the net on the PP, and he isn't a hitter. But I'm not going to sit here and throw the kid under the bus when he does so many other things well and is having a career year points-wise in the first year of a big contract. And he is only going to get better. But hey, if you'd rather someone else take him, I'm sure there would be 25 other teams lining up outside the door to take that "dead weight" off our hands. :coffee:

I'm not pleased at all with Gogo for the better part of this year either. I'm willing to cut him a little bit of slack though for a couple of reasons. I really think he has the potential to be a better defenseman, I just don't think he was ready to start full time yet. And his performance at the beginning of the season has been like night and day compared to this last half of the season. I have to wonder if he's working through some kind of nagging injury or if he's just fatigued from not being used to playing so much. I do swear at him and Letang though...often.

X-Terminator
04-09-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm not pleased at all with Gogo for the better part of this year either. I'm willing to cut him a little bit of slack though for a couple of reasons. I really think he has the potential to be a better defenseman, I just don't think he was ready to start full time yet. And his performance at the beginning of the season has been like night and day compared to this last half of the season. I have to wonder if he's working through some kind of nagging injury or if he's just fatigued from not being used to playing so much. I do swear at him and Letang though...often.

Apparently he has been playing with nagging knee and ankle injuries and that may have affected him, but to me, if you're healthy enough to get out there and play, then you'd better perform. No excuses. He clearly does have a crapload of talent and will be a fine defenseman in a few years, but right now, I wouldn't mind it if he watched the game from the press box. He has not played well for the majority of the season, last night's goal notwithstanding. And Letang...I wish the team would fine him $500 for every time he misses the net when he has a clear lane. They'd get back half his salary every season.

SteelCityMom
04-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Apparently he has been playing with nagging knee and ankle injuries and that may have affected him, but to me, if you're healthy enough to get out there and play, then you'd better perform. No excuses. He clearly does have a crapload of talent and will be a fine defenseman in a few years, but right now, I wouldn't mind it if he watched the game from the press box. He has not played well for the majority of the season, last night's goal notwithstanding. And Letang...I wish the team would fine him $500 for every time he misses the net when he has a clear lane. They'd get back half his salary every season.

No arguments here on either player lol. I really wish there was some way we could have kept Scuds, the defense isn't the same without him, and I don't think Gogo was ready for a full time start. If he plays this way next season I'd like to think that Shero would make some kind of trade to get someone better.

X-Terminator
04-09-2010, 12:30 PM
BTW, Scotty Bowman and Kevin Stevens were both scheduled to be there last night, but had to cancel because of family matters. So I guess Bowman and Mario patched things up over the years. And Stevens works as a scout for the Pens, just to clear that part up.

X-Terminator
04-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Well, the Pens will not have Ponikarovsky for the last 2 games - he's been suspended for his hit from behind on Josh Bailey last night:

TORONTO (April 9, 2010) – Pittsburgh Penguins forward Alexei Ponikarovsky has been suspended for two games, without pay, for a boarding penalty on New York Islanders forward Josh Bailey during NHL game #1200 against the New York Islanders last night, the National Hockey League announced.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Ponikarovsky will forfeit $21,813.48. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Ponikarovsky was assessed a major penalty for boarding and game misconduct at 3:01 of the third period. Bailey was injured on the play.

Ponikarovsky will miss the Penguins’ final two regular season games – Saturday at Atlanta and Sunday at the New York Islanders.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=524651

HometownGal
04-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Well, the Pens will not have Ponikarovsky for the last 2 games - he's been suspended for his hit from behind on Josh Bailey last night:

TORONTO (April 9, 2010) – Pittsburgh Penguins forward Alexei Ponikarovsky has been suspended for two games, without pay, for a boarding penalty on New York Islanders forward Josh Bailey during NHL game #1200 against the New York Islanders last night, the National Hockey League announced.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Ponikarovsky will forfeit $21,813.48. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Ponikarovsky was assessed a major penalty for boarding and game misconduct at 3:01 of the third period. Bailey was injured on the play.

Ponikarovsky will miss the Penguins’ final two regular season games – Saturday at Atlanta and Sunday at the New York Islanders.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=524651

I'd be more than happy to "babysit" him for his two-game suspension. :lust: :lust: :chuckle:

As much as I adore Hottiekarovsky, I think this suspension is well deserved. He normally isn't that aggressive and it seems the intensity of the game got the better of him.

As for GoGo - you know how I've been raggin' on him this season. Letang too. It still makes me want to gag that the Pens FO gave him that exorbitant contract but are dickin' around with Serg - makes absolutely no sense to me. I know Serg is 3 days shy of his 36th BD, but GoGo and Letang combined don't make a hair on his cute hiney and though I believe both will be very good defensemen one day, the Pens need to do whatever they can to keep him as we've all seen what the PP looks like without their QB and everything else he contributes not only to the team on the ice, but in the locker room.

Maybe the Pens should have included in that ridiculous contract a provision that Letang spend 12 hours per day in the offseason with Sid's parents' dryer. :chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
04-09-2010, 10:16 PM
I tip my cap to Sid for recognizing someone else's accomplishments. One of the many reasons why I respect the type of player he is. He is VERY unselfish. One more reason why I am proud to say that he is their captain. It's well deserved.

steelpride12
04-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Dam! Ovie get's two goals tonight giving him 50 and the lead over Sid by one goal!

WH
04-10-2010, 04:21 AM
Dam! Ovie get's two goals tonight giving him 50 and the lead over Sid by one goal!

Thanks Dan Bylsma for giving him the empty net and helping him reach that milestone before your star player.

SteelCityMan786
04-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks Dan Bylsma for giving him the empty net and helping him reach that milestone before your star player.

I'll take having the Cup over the goal scoring champion award anyday.

Anyway, here is how things work out for seeding.
Pens and Devils go 1-1
Devils gain the 2 seed by virtue of head-to-head tie breaker
Devils go 2-0, Pens go 1-1
Devils 2nd seed, Pens 4th Seed
Pens go 2-0, Devils 1-1
Pens 2nd, Devils 4th
Pens go 2-0, Devils 0-2
Pens 2nd, Devils 4th
Devils 2-0, Pens 0-2
Devils 2nd, Pens 4th
Pens and Devils go 1-0-1
(See Teams go 1-1)
Pens go 1-0-1, Devils 0-1-1
Pens 2, Devils 4
Devils go 1-0-1, Pens 0-1-1
Devils 2, Pens 4
Both go 0-1-1
Devils 2, Pens 4

So you can see what we are going to have to cheer for or possibly hope for this weekend.

SteelCityMom
04-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Ultimately, yes I'd love for the Pens to win the cup again...but I'd be content as long as it wasn't the Wings, Devils or Caps lol.

And the way I'd like to see the scoring championships go is Crosby get the Rocket and the Art Ross (if not Crosby, then Sedin for the AR) and I'd like to see Crosby or Miller get the MVP. Screw Ovi!

WH
04-10-2010, 05:27 PM
I'll take having the Cup over the goal scoring champion award anyday.

No doubt. It was more criticizing Bylsma for a stupid move.

Fire Haley
04-10-2010, 06:49 PM
0-0 after 1 in Atlanta

Sid on the ice with Rupp and Godard - they both get penalties protecting him, no one will fight

SteelCityMom
04-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Daaaayyyummm....Cooke just got knocked the fuuuuggg out!

I hope he's ok though, they're getting the stretcher now.

Good for him, he's up and skating away on his own power. Kane got him pretty good there.

HometownGal
04-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Cookie is skating off to the Pens LR now, thank God. Kane really leveled him with a blow to the jaw and then hit him again on the way down. Cooke is tough as nails but I'll betcha he doesn't get in Kane's face again tonight - IF he comes back on the ice. But - I wouldn't be surprised to see Godard challenge him at some point.

SteelCityMom
04-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Geez...and the Thrashers go up 1-0 on a goal by Little.

Why can't they just go quietly into the night lol.

Someone (Crosby!) needs to get one past Moose...and soon.

X-Terminator
04-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Matt Cooke just got a little comeuppance, courtesy of Evander Kane's right hand.

I'm glad he's OK, but believe me, there are a LOT of people around the league who enjoyed seeing that, Marc Savard likely being the happiest of them all.

X-Terminator
04-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Well, that's it. Bring on the Sens.

steelpride12
04-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Wow. Not much to say about tonight but a huge laugh of uncertainty. 1 to 0? really with all this fire power against the a terrible team? No excuse and for that matter no comments either. Devils clinched the Atlantic and Sens first round.

Fire Haley
04-10-2010, 11:07 PM
4th place - bring on the Sens.

Just like I predicted.

WH
04-11-2010, 04:37 AM
....1-0 really? I mean, I'm speechless.....1-0? Against the friggin' Thrashers?!

SteelCityMom
04-11-2010, 09:24 AM
At least Fleury had a good game. :noidea:

Besides, it's not like we got shut out by the Oilers or anything...these guys were right in the playoff race until we knocked them out in OT the other night, and it was their last game of the season. They were obviously hell bent on playing for pride and spoilers.

Way, way too much time in the penalty box though...it killed any momentum the Pens (and the Thrashers too for that matter) had during the game.

X-Terminator
04-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Did you guys forget that the Pens had to play the last half of the game without Orpik and Cooke? That might throw a crimp in their ability to play their game, since they were already without 2 of their regulars, Kunitz and Ponikarovsky. At that point, they just played the game trying not to get anyone else hurt before the playoffs start. Just ask Alex Kovalev and the Sens about that - Kovalev tore his ACL Friday night and is out for the playoffs. Thankfully neither Cooke nor Orpik were seriously injured and were both just held out for precautionary reasons (Cooke and his nugget, Orpik was cut by a Thrasher). Both will be available when the playoffs start, and they will get Kunitz and Ponikarovsky back as well. Just have to get through today without any injuries.

EDIT: The Pens have recalled LW Eric Tangradi from WBS today. He is our top wing prospect, so we'll get to see a little bit of what he can do. This probably means Matt Cooke isn't playing today: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=524882

Fire Haley
04-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Time to kill this thread - it's tainted with too much negativity.

It's jinxed

Stamkos got his 50th

steelpride12
04-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Well let's just be positive here boys and girls I sure am. Heck if Sid doesn't win the rocket Oh well Id rather see that Cup over his head again. Yes were the 4th seed, but we had a lot of injuries this season and the team played fine and if they turn it on in the post season will be deadly once again.
Team should be healthy for the first playoff series and the Sens are down without Kovalev which is a huge loss!

Im ready for the postseason and our Pens to prove they are still the best! GO PENS!

X-Terminator
04-11-2010, 02:04 PM
No goals for Captain Ug today. So Stamkos and Sid still have a chance to win the Rocket. If Sid doesn't win it, I have no problem with Stamkos winning it. That kid is a special player.

HometownGal
04-11-2010, 04:25 PM
2-0 Pens early in the 3rd on goals by Geno and Godard! :banana: :applaudit:

LETS GO PENS!

HometownGal
04-11-2010, 04:44 PM
CONGRATS SID ON YOUR 50TH GOAL (officially :wink)!!! :applaudit: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Beautiful pass by Geno! :applaudit:

It's now a 3 way tie for the Rocket between Sid, Captain UG and Stamkos. I'd love to see him win that trophy but if not him, I want it to be Stamkos.

Pens up 3-0 over the Isles with a little under 2 left in the 1srt.

LETS GO PENS!!!!

HometownGal
04-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Tavares puts one over Johnny's shoulder on an Isles 5 on 3 PP to make it 3-1.

HometownGal
04-11-2010, 05:09 PM
:applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit:

SID JUST SCORED HIS 51st GOAL and is now in the lead for the Rocket! :banana: :hatsoff:

KEEP IT GOING SID!

Pens up 4-1 early in the 2nd period.

SteelCityMom
04-11-2010, 05:32 PM
:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

So happy for Sid! Grat's on the 51st tonight!

Now if Malkin can just stay out of the penalty box this game would be golden lol.

SteelCityMom
04-11-2010, 05:35 PM
And Malkin scores on a feed from Sid! That's 5 points on the night for Sid...if he keeps this up he'll get the Art Ross tonight too!

steelpride12
04-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Ahh Congrats Sid on your 51st and hopefully your golden ticket for the Rocket trophy well deserved! 5 points so far, not to worried about the Art Ross going to Mr. Sendin is fine with me, but Sid you can do it!

steelpride12
04-11-2010, 06:18 PM
5 to 2 to now 5 to 4 umm Pens defense needs to be tight this time of the year time to finish this game off!

SteelCityMom
04-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Gah! Stamkos gets an empty netter with :15 seconds left to tie Sid. I'll be ok with Sid sharing it, but would be nice if he could get one more.

HometownGal
04-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Stamkos got a cheapy goal to tie Sid so if the score stays at 5-4, hopefully the Isles will pull Roloson and Sid can get a cheapy to win the Rocket. :hope: :hope:

Johnny just got bowled over in the net and we're now on the PP. C'mon SID!!!

WH
04-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Dan Onorato is running for Governor?

WHHHHHAAAAAT!?!?!

EFFFF that.

steelerdude15
04-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Come on guys, hold on to the lead! Go Pens!!!

steelerdude15
04-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Let's pick it up on the ice guys!

SteelCityMom
04-11-2010, 06:39 PM
:banging:

And Tavares deflects one in to tie it up....

HometownGal
04-11-2010, 06:42 PM
SHIT. :banging:

Doesn't really matter in the long run , though, as the Pens are without a couple of their keys and the seeding has already been determined with the Debs win over the Sabes this afternoon. We're going to be playing the Sens.

If we go into OT in this one, we'll get that 100th point.

I still want to see Sid get that 52nd goal. :hope:

LETS GO PENS - make it happen!