PDA

View Full Version : Is the Cowher situation spilling onto the field?

Big D
10-03-2006, 03:47 PM
I was just thinking maybe our poor start has to do with the bill cowher contract situation. I know ben has been hurt all year. But having the heart and soul of your franchise debating on retiring has to be a distraction to the players as well as the coaching staff. Tell me what you all think

Livinginthe past
10-03-2006, 03:54 PM
I think Bill Cowhers contract situation is the least of the Steelers worries.

Its been a rough start because two very important components of the offense are not fully fit, which has led to extra pressure on other elements of the team (ST would be one)

Im sure Cowher remains just as able to motivate his team as he was last year - its just that the Steelers have not been physically able to beat two playoff calibre teams.

No disgrace in that.

NM

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-03-2006, 04:06 PM
I think once the game starts all the off field issuse are forgotten about..... The reason we are in the position we are (1-2) is because we made too many mistakes on the field.
Players are not going to be any less focused just because a coach might be thinking about retiring........When it comes down to it......I'll bet that the players dont care as much as you think they do.

Atlanta Dan
10-03-2006, 04:40 PM
It is hard to say - there does seem to be a "year after" syndrome in which something keeps going wrong and there appears to be a general lack of urgency. The team may believe it is playing with full focus, but something is off track. With regard to Cowher's situation, Chuck Noll repeatedly told players if they were thinking about retiring that means they should do so - words for Cowher to consider.

A quality team should be able to win a road game from a tough opponent. Sunday in Cincy was a big response from a Patriots team that was having dirt shoveled on it - I will be very interested to see if Cowher will have the Steelers ready to step it up Sunday night.

tony hipchest
10-03-2006, 05:08 PM
i bet when colclough was back there to catch the punt in swirling winds he was wondering

"what color of drapes will coach have in his study after he moves and retires"...is his new home on a lake?...oops...muffed a punt."

HometownGal
10-03-2006, 05:34 PM

Its been a rough start because two very important components of the offense are not fully fit, which has led to extra pressure on other elements of the team (ST would be one)

Im sure Cowher remains just as able to motivate his team as he was last year - its just that the Steelers have not been physically able to beat two playoff calibre teams.

No disgrace in that.

NM

Good post, LITP. In addition to the key injuries to the offensive unit, we've also had a lingering injury to one of the key components of the Steelers D - Troy Polamalu. He isn't playing at even 80% with that shoulder injury - his normal level of intensity has been somewhat inhibited. The Steelers are very much a playoff-calibre team when they are healthy, but unfortunately, they haven't started out the season that way. As most dieharders know, injuries to key players on both sides of the ball (especially when concurrent) isn't a good thing, especially when beginning a new season. When the Steelers are 95-100% healthy - look out Loretta. :tt02:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-03-2006, 05:37 PM

No disgrace in that.

NM

your slowly becommig a steelers fan.......admit it.......The big ben.....time is now....legacy has worn off an you.......
come here and give me a big kiss you steelers fan...... :hug: :tt02:

jaysta
10-03-2006, 07:21 PM
i bet when colclough was back there to catch the punt in swirling winds he was wondering

"what color of drapes will coach have in his study after he moves and retires"...is his new home on a lake?...oops...muffed a punt."

LOL Good one Tony. I was thinking the exact same thing. LOL :sofunny:

Livinginthe past
10-03-2006, 07:38 PM
your slowly becommig a steelers fan.......admit it.......The big ben.....time is now....legacy has worn off an you.......
come here and give me a big kiss you steelers fan...... :hug: :tt02:

Ha ha.

I can appreciate what the Steelers have achieved over the last few years with Cowher and Ben - im not one to pretend a team isn't a challenger just because they are a huge rival.

As far as a big kisses go - well...how about a handshake :wink02:

NM

wadester47
10-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Cowher would smack us in the mouth if he new that there was a thread about him posted, So I hope to keep this on the downlow................ha!

Stlrs4Life
10-03-2006, 08:03 PM
No, it has nothing to do with the slow start. Mental mistakes and a few issues like LITP said.

Dynasty
10-03-2006, 08:28 PM
I accually dont agree with LITP. The Steelers have been able to "physically beat" their opponents, it's just that on many levels we haven't been executing. Throughout the Bungholes game, we dominated, but it was mistakes that dommed us in the end. And against Jacksonville, we held a powerful offense to 3 field goals - they didn't get into the end zone once!

Livinginthe past
10-03-2006, 09:10 PM
I accually dont agree with LITP. The Steelers have been able to "physically beat" their opponents, it's just that on many levels we haven't been executing. Throughout the Bungholes game, we dominated, but it was mistakes that dommed us in the end. And against Jacksonville, we held a powerful offense to 3 field goals - they didn't get into the end zone once!

When I mentioned 'physically' - I meant in terms of execution - translating experience and talent into a physical product on the field.

Im certainly not suggesting that the Steelers have been 'out-smashmouthed' just that they havent been operating on all cylinders.

NM

Elvis
10-03-2006, 10:12 PM
in my opinion only.. I think the slow start is just that Ben along with Hines just having to have time to get back 100 perc. healthy. Ben... well he has had a hard summer as everyone knows... and Hines is slow to get going after his hamstring problems and who knows, he probably isnt near 100% either... and on defense... well Troy isnt close to bein' hisself with his shoulder... and as good as our defense is playin I am looking forward to seeing just how good we can be with Troy at 100%... aint you?

19ward86
10-04-2006, 08:31 AM
i dont think so, it has been the fact ben hasnt had much work not cowher

SteelersWoman
10-04-2006, 06:59 PM
If a team's had the same coach for 15 years, and are used to him, how he coaches, and maybe even likes and respects him, knows his family well, etc--how could it NOT have SOME effect--even if it's minor?

Also--I haven't noticed the same intensity from Cowher this year as last. I think that intensity had to spill over to his players...and it's just not there this year.

There's a LOT goin on with what's wrong with our guys, and I think there are a lot of factors at play, but IMOHO, thinkin that Coach is just bidin his time can't be helpin anything, although I do think it's only one of the pieces of the puzzle.