PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers #1 problem is........

coachspeak33
10-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Okay now before anyone thinks I am apologizing for Ben's lackluster play, I am going to get this out of the way first......... He flat out stunk against those dreaded Bungals. I mean he looked really bad, in a Trent Dilfer sorta way. Oh that hurts...I dont know if it hurts more to read it or type it but I know I would never dare to say those words outloud. But like my grandpa used to say, "if it walks like a duck, if it talks like a duck..."

I used this bye week like most other Steelers fans, as I experienced feelings of shock ("I cant believe we just lost another big game due to a freakin special teams blunder"), to dispair ("Oh my god..... we are 1-2"), to panic ("Holy Hell, we are 1-2!!!"), to anger ("Ben, Cowher, and Colclough need to experience chinese water torture all the way up until kickoff in SD").

Then I began debating fellow Steelers fans as to what exactly is our problem right now and I have the answer to that question.... Kenny Whizenhunt. I dont want him replaced or fired but I do have a MAJOR problem with his recent play calling.

He is habitually throwing on first down and the Steelers could very well be one of the worst 2nd/3rd & long teams of all the Super Bowl contenders in the league. So when Ben is struggling and our WR's cant catch a cold why we are constantly being ut into those 2nd and 3rd & long situations?

I know that during the playoff run of last season Ben went out and won us a couple of playoff games by throwing on 1st down, but lets face facts.... the Ben Roethlisbeger that trotted out there in weeks 2 and 3 is nothing even remotely close to the one that scorched the colts and broncos last postseason.

We all have read about the WR's drops total. We all are well aware that Ben has a QB rating that is approaching a Mark Malone-esque figure. We know that there is not one person to blame. But the person at the top of the blame list is Mr. Whiz as he continues to beat a dead horse and attempt to turn the Steelers O scheme into some kind of west coast offense.... yeah the "western PA-coast offense.

Now I understand that at times we need to throw becasue the other teams put 8 in the box but these numbers dont lie:
-We had 20 1st down plays vs Jax...15 were pass plays. 15!!!!!!
-Ben was 4 of 18 for 44 yds on 1st down vs Cincy (2.4 yds per pass attempt)
-Ben threw all 3 of his picks vs Cincy on 1st down pass plays
-We failed to complete our first 7 passes on first down pass plays (that creates a whole bunch of long down situations)

Here is the stat that really hurts to look at:
-Our running game vs Cincy's vaunted 8 man front that forced us to pass on first down repeatedly was able to gain a measly..........106 yds on 15 carries!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Thats nearly 7 yds per carry

Now the Jax game was a different story at only 2.7 yds per carry on 1st down. But still 5 run plays on 1st down for the entire game!? That is bullcrap run/pass ratio for a Pittsburgh Steelers team with this O-line and defense.

The whiz needs to realize that Ben needs time to sharpen up and he is not ready to fully carry the offensive load. Kenny W. needs to be petrified of 2nd and long or its gonna be a long season.

Now as for San Diego... you better believe they are gonna stack the box and rush yards are gonna be hard to come by. But if we come out and have a 3-1 pass to run ratio on first down, I fear we will struggle.

tony hipchest
10-04-2006, 10:31 AM
thats a well thought out piece with good stats to back your point. in the jax game i thought we came out and moved the ball real well through the air the 1st drive. then immediately tried to turn into a run game after wilsons catch was overturned and we had to punt. jax was all over us every time we tried to run after that. the play calling was very predictable there.

with the cinci game i thought the play calling kept the opponents on their toes. again we had success the 1st drive. the 1st down pass plays probably became predictable (leading to the t.o.s you mention because a) they had been working well and the bengals knew we were likely to keep going to the well and b) willies carries getting up there and the bengals knowing cowher would want to limit them. of course the final 2 drives were all pass which kind of skews the numbers.

memphissteelergirl
10-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Excellent post! :thumbsup:

19ward86
10-04-2006, 03:08 PM
good "emotional" post

steelfan 92
10-04-2006, 04:47 PM
i agree with the original post, but the big question is are we stil hungry?, we got to the top and became the king, now do we have the passion and drive to stay on top thwart off all comers. do they still have that same fire?

sumo
10-04-2006, 05:40 PM
The season is still young, but this team reminds me a lot of the 1980 Steelers -- dating myself-- they just came off a huge SB win -- everybody was debating whether or not they were the greatest team of all time -- they still had most of the same players, but it seemed like the team was distracted -- is this team still hungry is a good question -- but I think it's still too early to tell what's going to happen this year -- especially with Big Ben struggling -- once he gets his head straight we will start to roll again

Rotty3749
10-04-2006, 05:53 PM
I can understand the outlook of trying to mix it up and be unpredictable, but why??????? What happened to the hard-nosed steelers offense of always. Run 1st and 2nd down, if we dont get the first its usually about a 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4. Then comes the nice short route to Hines or Heath. Why change an identity we have had for what seems like forever? If we run we win, that's all too it in my eyes.

Stlrs4Life
10-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Very good and interesting post. Not much more to say to that. I for one totally love watching a game where we totally dominate in the run, other people think it's boring. Not me, and nothing more demoralizes a defense than when you know you can run on them and can't stop it.

Elvis
10-04-2006, 08:41 PM
I like the thought of mixing it up on 1st down with the pass/run... I just think that the defenses get stacked on you if you are too predictable on those downs... I like mixin' it up... I am still the big running game fan that I have always been but you have to be able to pass some to loosen the D up..

augustashark
10-04-2006, 11:46 PM
The season is still young, but this team reminds me a lot of the 1980 Steelers -- dating myself-- they just came off a huge SB win -- everybody was debating whether or not they were the greatest team of all time -- they still had most of the same players, but it seemed like the team was distracted -- is this team still hungry is a good question -- but I think it's still too early to tell what's going to happen this year -- especially with Big Ben struggling -- once he gets his head straight we will start to roll again

I kinda disagree, that 1981 team was old almost very old. You had alot of guys who had won four SB'S and were in the playoffs every year. I think that team got tired (aka old) it's hard to continue to get up (like you need to) after you have accomplished so much.

This team still has alot of youth and has only one SB, they should (I think they are) be very hungry.

Hines0wnz
10-05-2006, 12:50 AM
Interesting post and I agree to some extent....but the only play calling I didnt like was early in the 4th quarter of the Cincy game. A cheerleader could have suited up and gained 3 or 4 yards against that "D" and yet a long pass was called when facing into the wind. :dang:

coachspeak33
10-05-2006, 12:10 PM
agreed Hinesown...... except not just 3 to 4 yds per carry........ try 7 yds/carry!!!!

16 carries for 106 yds to be exact vs Cincy on 1st down