PDA

View Full Version : Do You Feel Woman Reporters Belong On The Sidelines?

Lyn
10-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Although, I know it is not Politically Correct to feel the way I do, I still do not like woman involved in the reporting of the game of football. I feel the only place for a woman, when it comes to football, is at a tailgate party or in the stands as a fan. And I am a woman.

I also do not like a woman doing the nightly news. The women may work in the background but that is a man's job.

No idea why I feel this way but I do:)

:tt02:

sumo
10-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Although, I know it is not Politically Correct to feel the way I do, I still do not like woman involved in the reporting of the game of football. I feel the only place for a woman, when it comes to football, is at a tailgate party or in the stands as a fan. And I am a woman.

I also do not like a woman doing the nightly news. The women may work in the background but that is a man's job.

The real politically incorrect but true reply to this would be that it's a predominantly male audience and that's why you have so many beautiful sideline women on TV -- in all honesty, I like a lot of the women better than guys like Joe -- big mouth I had a restraining order slapped on me by Kathy Lee Crosby -- Theismann and Tony --captain of the chess club comb over -- Cornheiser -- anyway -- I'm glad people like you are speaking their mind -- I am not a big fan of political correctness....

memphissteelergirl
10-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Lyn,

You have a right to your opinion, but I have to respectfully disagree. However, I do think that some female sideline reporters are better than others. I like Pam Oliver on FOX, for example. I think she is very knowledgable. But she is in the minority. It's a sad but true fact that most of these chicks are out there strictly for "eye candy" effect and wouldn't know play formation from their cute little backsides.

Now I do draw the line on women doing play-by-play. Can't see that happening.

Lyn
10-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Lyn,

You have a right to your opinion, but I have to respectfully disagree. However, I do think that some female sideline reporters are better than others. I like Pam Oliver on FOX, for example. I think she is very knowledgable. But she is in the minority. It's a sad but true fact that most of these chicks are out there strictly for "eye candy" effect and wouldn't know play formation from their cute little backsides.

Now I do draw the line on women doing play-by-play. Can't see that happening.

I have no idea if this is true or not because I did not investigate it LOL but I heard that these women have mics in their ear and the men tell them what to say. I find that really hard to believe because some of them say the dumbest things. And you are oh so right on the eye candy thing! It is not enough that we have cheerleaders who are dressed like something out of the Sports Illustrated issue. (bathing suit edition). I think the reason I feel the way I do is because I do not look atr iot as a step up. I look at it as woman being used as sex objects.

Thanks so much for your response!~

tony hipchest
10-04-2006, 04:57 PM
ashleigh banfield with msnbc's 9-11 coverage was sooooo HOT! especially with her 60's style glasses....

Ho Chi momma and the Mihn trail she rode in on!

and as good as lisa guerrero was to look at i do prefer a little more substance, and someone who doesnt proceede every report with "well Al" [michaels]...

michelle tafoya is good. actually alot of them are decent. but noone will top o.j. or swann.

sumo
10-04-2006, 05:11 PM
ashleigh banfield with msnbc's 9-11 coverage was sooooo HOT! especially with her 60's style glasses....

Ho Chi momma and the Mihn trail she rode in on!

and as good as lisa guerrero was to look at i do prefer a little more substance, and someone who doesnt proceede every report with "well Al" [michaels]...

michelle tafoya is good. actually alot of them are decent. but noone will top o.j. or swann.

YEAH!! -- bring back OJ -- that will go over great with women everywhere...:jawdrop:

Livinginthe past
10-04-2006, 05:47 PM
I mostly switch off (mentally) when the female reporters appear on the screen during the game - all they bring is statements that fail to go beyond the blindingly obvious - all brought to you with a gossip column delivery.

There is nothing wrong at all with a woman woking the sidelines as long as she can bring a little thoughtful analysis to the party.

As women will never play pro-football they have an uphill task trying to convince me that they actually care enough about football to actually do some research.

Of course, alot of the male presenters are airheads aswell - and they dont even get the eye candy vote.

NM

HometownGal
10-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Personally, I think if a woman really knows the game, does her homework and can hold her own in sports reporting, more power to her, but quite honestly, those women reporters/analysts are few and far between in recent times, imo, other than past and present female Olympiads who color commentate at gymnastics, skiing and figure skating competitions. The only female sports reporter who I feel comes even remotely close to my "qualifications" above is Suzy Kolber. (I'm not sure if Suzy really is a woman - that adam's apple looked quite prominent the last time I saw her on the tube - LOL!)

Mosca
10-04-2006, 06:33 PM
I agree with LITP and HTG, it's the substance that matters. There's enough eye candy with the cheerleaders.

I think that what we're seeing is talented women being deliberately marginalized; given a TV football reporting job, but not a good one and not one in which they're allowed any depth. They do the best with what they're given, IMO. I wouldn't mind at all if a woman with some talent and some insight did play by play, or color commentary; that would be cool, I'd think. It couldn't be worse than about 80% of the national announcers.

Tom

sumo
10-04-2006, 06:52 PM
I agree with LITP and HTG, it's the substance that matters. There's enough eye candy with the cheerleaders.

I think that what we're seeing is talented women being deliberately marginalized; given a TV football reporting job, but not a good one and not one in which they're allowed any depth. They do the best with what they're given, IMO. I wouldn't mind at all if a woman with some talent and some insight did play by play, or color commentary; that would be cool, I'd think. It couldn't be worse than about 80% of the national announcers.

Tom

So it would be no big deal if she looked like saaaay John Madden?:thumbsup:

memphissteelergirl
10-05-2006, 11:33 AM

Tom

Interesting point...

Stillers#1
10-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Not a fan of female reporters, it almost seems like a TITLE 9 type situation, but for sportscasters. I think a lot of these women get the job, just b/c they are women. On a lighter note, RACHEL NICHOLS IS HOT!!!!!!

Mosca
10-05-2006, 01:40 PM
So it would be no big deal if she looked like saaaay John Madden?:thumbsup:

Honestly, no; knowledge, talent and personality sell the broadcast. You have to have all three. Good looks? Well, the broadcasters aren't on camera, are they?

Tom

ARKIESTEEL
10-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Are they bringing beers with them???

This would sway my answer:wink02:

floodcitygirl
10-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Are they bringing beers with them???

This would sway my answer:wink02:Arkie...I was just WAITING for you to respond to this one!!! I'm not disappointed! :sofunny: :sofunny:

sumo
10-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Honestly, no; knowledge, talent and personality sell the broadcast. You have to have all three. Good looks? Well, the broadcasters aren't on camera, are they?

Tom

You think a woman broadcaster that looks like John Madden would make it? -- I was joking - but that's the double standard ... I don't think a woman that looks like Madden could make it as an announcer -- I agree that it shouldn't matter ...but it does and it would never happen -- a woman with good looks and little substance would be chosen over a female version of Madden every single time - broadcaster or sideline...

HometownGal
10-05-2006, 02:34 PM
You think a woman broadcaster that looks like John Madden would make it? -- I was joking - but that's the double standard ... I don't think a woman that looks like Madden could make it as an announcer -- I agree that it shouldn't matter ...but it does and it would never happen -- a woman with good looks and little substance would be chosen over a female version of Madden every single time - broadcaster or sideline...

Add about 300 lbs. and 4 chins and Suzy comes pretty close. :smile:

Mosca
10-05-2006, 02:41 PM

OK, I thought you were asking my opinion directly, would it matter to me personally. I agree 100% that there would be no chance of a woman who looked like Madden even getting interviewed.

Tom

Lyn
10-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Actually, they say that an ugly man has a poorer chance of getting a job than a fat woman. LOL

I read there somewhere on the internet, so it has to be true! LOL :)

pitt
10-06-2006, 12:46 AM
As long as she knows the game and can speak intelligently about football I don't have a problem. But if shes a complete airhead she should be gone.

My question is should ex quarterbacks who had a broken leg be announcers.

augustashark
10-06-2006, 12:52 AM
As long as she knows the game and can speak intelligently about football I don't have a problem. But if shes a complete airhead she should be gone.

My question is should ex quarterbacks who had a broken leg be announcers.

He is an announcer? I thought the only reason he was there was because the monkey they had was shipped to a zoo in Japan.

hardwork
10-06-2006, 01:01 AM
"Do You Feel Woman Reporters Belong On The Sidelines?"

I think we should be allowed to feel women where ever they are.

augustashark
10-06-2006, 01:04 AM

No one said prison guards hardwork.:wave:

hardwork
10-06-2006, 02:46 AM

No one said prison guards hardwork.:wave:

Thoughts of incarceration is just one of many dark places I suspect your mind inhabits.

sumo
10-06-2006, 03:25 PM
I like Melissa Stark, and Bonnie Bernstein is one of the best in the business.

I'm all for them being not only on the sideline, but also in the broadcast booth. It would definitely be an improvement over Dan Dierdorf, Ian Eagle, or the last few years of Keith Jackson.

Jackson is more entertaining as he gets older -- it keeps your attention if you count all the mistakes he makes as your watching -- Dierdorf has always been a tool...we need the female equivalent of Madden -- a huge fat woman -- ugly and funny with a lot of good knowledge -- maybe a hint of Lisa Lampanelli thrown in -- the anti-info-babe...

blackvelvet
10-06-2006, 03:48 PM

Well considering that to do that sort of thing has been my dream since I was seven years old AND I'm a girl, no. I don't agree at all.

SteelCzar76
10-06-2006, 06:03 PM

Wow Ma,....that's actually kinda hot in an "Old World order and social values" sense. But in all honesty i'd have to say i have no problem with female reporter's or newscaster's.
The only exception being if they're unqualified and or unknowledgable. (But this should also apply to us as well (Men)
I'm saying,.... if one can get good commentary and insight from a beautiful woman,....i'm VERY good with that. Far be it from me to deny any woman the right to "Get Her Sexy On" LOL
Well,....unless of course she does look like John Madden (HomeTown,...you ain't right,...you ain't right LMAO),...in which case i'll listen to her (Madden's) commentary objectively and with absolutely no thought of her being a female at all. LOL

Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"

SteelCzar76
10-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Oh yeah,......as stated earlier,......Rachel Nichols is indeed,... HOT.

"Hail Caesar,.......Hail the Black and Gold"

Maidenarcher
10-07-2006, 05:58 PM
I think in anything, if a woman is capable of doing something I think if she should be entitled to do whatever she wants. A capable women is in her chosen profession for the love of it.

And, if we can put the shoe on the other foot. I haven't seen one hot piece of male eye candy on the sidelines or reporting when it comes to football. That definitely proves that I must watch the game for the love of it. However, I will say I definitely miss Al & John on Monday Night Football. I am not a fan of the new crew at all...............I miss Al.

blackvelvet
10-10-2006, 05:23 PM
I think in anything, if a woman is capable of doing something I think if she should be entitled to do whatever she wants. A capable women is in her chosen profession for the love of it.

And, if we can put the shoe on the other foot. I haven't seen one hot piece of male eye candy on the sidelines or reporting when it comes to football. That definitely proves that I must watch the game for the love of it. However, I will say I definitely miss Al & John on Monday Night Football. I am not a fan of the new crew at all...............I miss Al.

Thank you. it seems all my life i wanted to either be a cop or a newscaster (and still do), but i was told i couldn't or shouldn't by people of my own family because it ways a boys' job. I've been determined to prove them wrong since. thank you, i was starting to think i was the only person who felt this way here.