PDA

View Full Version : Reid still in the dark

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-05-2006, 07:38 AM
Notebook: Reid still in the dark

By The Tribune-Review
Thursday, October 5, 2006

Willie Reid continues to wait. The rookie wide receiver said Wednesday he hasn't been given any indication what his status will be when the Steelers visit the Chargers. A dazzling return man at Florida State, Reid may get a chance to return punts Sunday night in San Diego. That has been a problem area for the Steelers, and Ricardo Colclough, who has been alternating on punt returns with rookie Santonio Holmes, is questionable with a neck problem. Colclough practiced yesterday, but said afterward the coaches want him to steer clear of contact -- at least until they find out more about his neck.
"I don't know what it is," Colclough said. "It's just something that started and kept bothering me."

Even if he plays against the Chargers, Colclough is questionable at best to return punts because of his well-documented struggles. Reid, who has been inactive for the Steelers' first three games, continues to say and do the right things. That is assuming he hasn't highlighted passages in the Steelers' media guide about his punt return exploits at Florida State and left it on coach Bill Cowher's desk.

"I've been anxious (to play) since Week 1," Reid said. "Right now, you go out there and work hard."

? Reserve running back Najeh Davenport doesn't expect to miss the Chargers game because of a strained calf. Davenport hurt his lower right leg Monday in practice and is listed as questionable.

"I slipped, and the grass gave way when I was making a cut," Davenport said.

He has dressed the last two games but has yet to play. Cowher indicated Tuesday that Davenport would get some carries in San Diego if he is healthy.

"I've been good in getting the offense down, so we'll see," Davenport said. "I expect to dress."

? A Steelers defense that has not allowed a 100-yard rusher in 12 games will try to extend that streak against one of the top running backs in football. LaDainian Tomlinson has exceeded 1,200 rushing yards in each of his first five seasons in the NFL. Last year, the Steelers held him to 62 yards on 18 carries, though Tomlinson did catch seven passes for 68 yards.

"We've always played pretty good against L.T.," linebacker Joey Porter said.

Edgerrin James is the last back to go over 100 yards against the Steelers. He did it for the Colts last November.

? Safety Troy Polamalu (shoulder) joined Davenport and Colclough on the team's injury report and is listed as probable. Three Chargers are questionable for the game: offensive tackle Leander Jordan (neck), safety Bhawoh Jue (knee) and tight end Ryan Krause (hamstring).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Digits

7 - Wins the Steelers have in eight regular-season games against the Chargers with Bill Cowher as coach.

20 - Rushing yards Willie Parker had against the Jaguars earlier this season.

26 - Rushing yards Parker had against the Chargers last year.

40 - Length (in yards) of the field goal Jeff Reed kicked to beat the Chargers last year in San Diego.

HometownGal
10-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Keeping my fingers crossed that Willie Reid is dressed and back there as the return man on Sunday night! The way I look at it - the switcheroo from Coclough to Reid can only benefit the team.....couldn't get any worse. Let's see what Willie can bring to the table! :tt02:

Good news on Davenport and I am definitely looking forward to seeing him in action in the Steelers backfield I really believe he is a good fit for this offense and he could be just what the doctor ordered. :thumbsup:

dSharp
10-05-2006, 01:01 PM
you'll probably see him. Max Starks did an interview on Sirius today and when asked about Willie Reid and if he'd play, Max beat around the bush, as would be expected, but said that "there will be something new going on with the return game this week, and I don't think it will be a bad thing at all. It's a good thing".

I guess we'll see Sunday night.

19ward86
10-05-2006, 02:26 PM
this is starting to piss me off. we should of picked a running back if we are not going to use willie reid, he is a great reciever and a better kick and punt returner. this is bull$#!+. he deserves to be out there, i think he will appear on the ST since colclough was removed.