PDA

View Full Version : Could someone catch me up?

Derek
10-06-2006, 06:54 AM
Unfortunately, I have not managed to see many Steelers games.

Of course, I am only a rising fan - I consider myself nothing like Lyn or SteelCityMan786 - but yeah. So if someone could catch me up to where we stand, any injured/resigned players, then I say <3 :tt02:

Mosca
10-06-2006, 07:03 AM
Big game Sunday night.

Take it from there, any other news is either rumor, reportage, or in constant flux.

Tom

19ward86
10-06-2006, 07:33 AM
stay in touch with this website and read a lot and you will know. we are 1-.

19ward86
10-06-2006, 07:34 AM
1-2 and need some help in the passing game and STs.

SteelShooter
10-07-2006, 12:23 AM
PITTSBURGH - With only three players on the injury report, Steelers coach Bill Cowher felt comfortable enough Tuesday to announce "we are relatively healthy going into Week 4."

Advertisement
But one player on the list - Najeh Davenport - is the one player the Steelers are counting on to turn a major weakness into a strength.
The Steelers are short of running backs. Willie Parker has carried the ball on 71 of the Steelers' 90 rushing attempts. While he's been successful enough to average 3.8 yards per carry, Parker can't do it all by himself. At his current rate Parker would finish the season with 379 attempts, just 11 below Barry Foster's team record.
Cowher was asked if Parker could do it all himself, but he answered with some questions of his own.
"How many of those are big hits? How many times did he run out of bounds or get tripped up?" Cowher asked. "A guy that is a pounding type of runner, there is more of a lingering affect down the road, just because of the style of running. ... You can't just monitor based on carries. You have to talk to the player about it, monitor it and deal with it accordingly."
Parker admitted after the opener that he's not the type of back who can carry 30 times a game, and it's become obvious that Verron Haynes is not a legitimate second option.
Better suited to third-down action than as a change-of-pace runner on first down, Haynes has carried only eight times for 33 yards. The Steelers need someone to come to the fore. Even if Parker can carry as often as Foster did in 1992, it's unlikely he'd have much left for a playoff run, and that's the expectations the Steelers hold.
The hope is that Davenport, who was released by the rebuilding Green Bay Packers, will share some of the burden, but Davenport injured his calf at Monday's practice and is listed as questionable for Sunday night's game at San Diego. Cowher admitted at his Tuesday press conference that Davenport is in his plans.
"Yeah, I think so," Cowher said. "He's become more comfortable as we've gotten him more involved."
How might he contribute?
"Just as a runner, as another guy," Cowher said. "We feel good about the four guys we have. Duce (Staley) has looked better and better the last couple of weeks as well. He's a legitimate option as well."
What's been Staley's problem?
"Just getting his legs back. He didn't have a training camp last year and really didn't play a whole lot during the season, just practice. He came in this year for training camp. He had a year to get back. I almost feel like he's getting his legs back right now watching him practice the last few weeks."
Staley may be the last hope. Power running teams throughout the league realize two quality running backs are vital. Even LaDainian Tomlinson, the Chargers' exceptional tailback, has carried the ball on 61 percent of his team's rushes. His backup, Michael Turner, has 30 carries for 221 yards with a stunning average per carry of 7.4 yards.
"He's a guy that has size and speed," Cowher said. "With him and LaDainian Tomlinson, they have a great one-two punch."
The Steelers could've had that great one-two punch themselves. They had a chance to draft Turner in the fifth round of the 2004 draft, but opted instead for the long since departed Nathaniel Adibi. The Steelers needed depth at outside linebacker at the time, but had traded their fourth-round pick to move up to draft Colclough in the second round. They had to reach in the fifth round.
Colclough, of course, has become public enemy No. 1 after his fateful fumble of a fourth-quarter punt that turned the Cincinnati game around. A neck injury has made him questionable for Sunday's game, as is the injury-plagued running back the Steelers acquired to add much-needed depth in their backfield.
NOTES - Troy Polamalu (shoulder) is listed as probable for the game. ... Cowher said he hasn't decided on a punt returner for Sunday night's game.

?The Herald Standard 2006