PDA

View Full Version : Fumbles

burgsville
10-06-2006, 08:00 AM
I don't respond too much and I only joined this summer but I remember responding to a forum about who should start at running back. I responded that Haynes was a fumbler and then had a world of stats thrown at me. Stats are fine but do not always define a player and his ability. Haynes HAS trouble holding on to the ball. He is a good 3rd down back and as a true STEELER fan I support all our players. Remember that statistics do not define this game.

HometownGal
10-06-2006, 08:16 AM
I don't respond too much and I only joined this summer but I remember responding to a forum about who should start at running back. I responded that Haynes was a fumbler and then had a world of stats thrown at me. Stats are fine but do not always define a player and his ability. Haynes HAS trouble holding on to the ball. He is a good 3rd down back and as a true STEELER fan I support all our players. Remember that statistics do not define this game.

While you are absolutely correct, burgsville, that stats do not define the game and a player's ability, effectiveness and value to a team, in Verron's case, I have to return you to the stats. I can't logically say that Haynes has a problem with fumbilitis, as he is entering his 5th season with the Steelers and though he is used sparingly and primarily on third downs, he's lost only 3 fumbles in 216 carries (combined rushing and receiving), which isn't alarming, imho. While I realize that his fumble in the Bengals game was indeed costly, I can't in good conscience scapegoat him for that loss, as the Steelers as a team made its fair share of mistakes all the way around and gift-wrapped that game for the Bengals. With Davenport/Staley rumored to be getting some carries starting this week, Verron's role is going to be even more limited, I believe.

Lyn
10-06-2006, 08:35 AM

As you know,

A wise man once said "Stats are for losers."

If it weren't for stats a player is not going to do the little things to help his team win.

Football is a TEAM game, should the quarterback throw a pass to a receiver and the receiver drops the ball, it goes against the qb's rating as well as the receiver. There is no I in team is very true, it is all a team game.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-06-2006, 09:14 AM
you know they say that 58.9% of stats are made up????

Lyn
10-06-2006, 10:32 AM
This is a joke, right?