PDA

View Full Version : Ben overrated? Yeah

wildjames
10-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Wow he's awful. I don't think Tommy Maddox played this poor. I've never seen such poorly throw balls or bad decisions.

Say what you want about lack of wide receiver depth, but if he was so elite like Steeler fans used to preach about, he would make things happen with average WR's, like Donovan McNabb does.

He's not a good quarterback without lots of quality players around him. I saw through the facade last year even in winning the Superbowl. The Steelers team was good, not nearly the best in the league but they won the big game, but it wasn't because of him. He's an average quarterback at best, and that's about all he'll ever be. There's a reason he went to Miami of Ohio and not USC, or Ohio State down the road.

The magic is over, now back to reality....

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-08-2006, 10:58 PM
only time will tell but i am thinking you are wrong....so fast your trying to forget that ben won 15 straight games as a rookie........and ummmmmm yes...played great games in the playoffs last year........What you dont realize is that its not just Ben playing bad.....its the entire team.

Tankus_Maximus
10-08-2006, 11:04 PM
He looked like he took 2 steps forward, and 1 step back today. I'm seein some progress in him, hope he gets this rusty shit outta his system fast though...13-3 sounds good still!!

Preacher
10-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Ben is just not himself.... He will probably need most of the season to REALLY get back to it. in the end, it looks like the accident, the surgeries, the pressure, etc. was just too much right now. But hey, he's young, he has shown A LOT in the past two years. I will give him this year to fully take in the playbook... make his screwups. Then watch him next year.

Why is it that the Steeler teams seem to need a bad year every 3 or 4 years just to make things right again?

Tankus_Maximus
10-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Didn't Bradshaw go through the same kinda slump after winning a superbowl? I seem to remember the Pats not being so great the year after they won their first ring..I'll give him this year to take his lumps...but I'm still confident they can go 13-3.

CantStop85
10-09-2006, 10:23 AM
I think Ben is being somewhat "exposed" because he's trying to do too much. He's not a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady type quarterback who can put his team on his back and carry them through an entire season, at least not at this point in his career.

tony hipchest
10-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Wow he's awful. I don't think...

it shows

Big D
10-09-2006, 10:36 AM
I think Ben is being somewhat "exposed" because he's trying to do too much. He's not a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady type quarterback who can put his team on his back and carry them through an entire season, at least not at this point in his career.

I couldnt agree more. Ben needs this offense to be more balanced. I believe he is trying to hard and thats why we have seen the turnovers we have seen.

Tankus_Maximus
10-09-2006, 01:55 PM
I think he was rushed back in that loss to Jax (no shame in losing to them), and that D-Line of San Diego's is ferocious (no shame in losing to them either) they kept the pressure on him to say the least, which lead to those picks.....but that loss to the shitty Bungles was just inexcusable.

It was posted on the front page of the site earlier, but he never was given a chance to fail, and this is it..these are the valleys that must come with the peaks that we enjoyed the previous two seasons. Just another growing pain.

In closing:

The Bengals still suck.

wadester47
10-09-2006, 02:13 PM
I agree with TM's post completely- I also agree that the Bengals do suck~

Tankus_Maximus
10-09-2006, 02:28 PM
There are only a couple of things that are absolute in this life...Death. Taxes..And The Bengals sucking.

Even if we go 1-15. The Bengals will always be our bitches.

SteelCityMan786
10-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Wow he's awful. I don't think Tommy Maddox played this poor. I've never seen such poorly throw balls or bad decisions.

Say what you want about lack of wide receiver depth, but if he was so elite like Steeler fans used to preach about, he would make things happen with average WR's, like Donovan McNabb does.

He's not a good quarterback without lots of quality players around him. I saw through the facade last year even in winning the Superbowl. The Steelers team was good, not nearly the best in the league but they won the big game, but it wasn't because of him. He's an average quarterback at best, and that's about all he'll ever be. There's a reason he went to Miami of Ohio and not USC, or Ohio State down the road.

The magic is over, now back to reality....

Super Bowl Ring. And one more thing. Let's see you play without your Appendix and after a near death Motorcycle accident.

stillers4me
10-09-2006, 05:50 PM

A QB does not make a T-E-A-M.
A real team comes together and one player makes up for another's weakness. All players, no matter who they are have a weakness. The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers that won SuperBowl XL was one of those remarkable teams. No Ben, No SuperBowl. No team work, no championship.

Any franchise that is relying solely on a big name QB to save the day is fooling themselves.

stillers4me
10-09-2006, 06:04 PM
So Ben isn't a good QB without lots of good players around him??????

Let me think back...oh yeah. Maddox is out, Batch is out........in comes little rookie Ben with the same players that the Maddox had around him and we finished the season 15-1 and knocked on the door for the SuperBowl in his rookie year.

The next year, he has knee surgery in the middle of the season, comes back to take a 6th seed team to the championship (wow....wasn't that just the coolest thing you ever saw??)and brings back the Lombardi........but it's all because of the rest of the team??????

No way. No Ben......no SuperBowl XL. Thanks for the memories, Ben. And here's to many more.

Is Ben playing up to his potential right now. No way. But neither is the rest of the team so lay off Ben.

SteelCityMan786
10-09-2006, 06:27 PM
So Ben isn't a good QB without lots of good players around him??????

Let me think back...oh yeah. Maddox is out, Batch is out........in comes little rookie Ben with the same players that the Maddox had around him and we finished the season 15-1 and knocked on the door for the SuperBowl in his rookie year.

The next year, he has knee surgery in the middle of the season, comes back to take a 6th seed team to the championship (wow....wasn't that just the coolest thing you ever saw??)and brings back the Lombardi........but it's all because of the rest of the team??????

No way. No Ben......no SuperBowl XL. Thanks for the memories, Ben. And here's to many more.

Is Ben playing up to his potential right now. No way. But neither is the rest of the team so lay off Ben.

Can I get an AMEN! Lay off of Ben.

Lyn
10-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Why don't all you people who became steeler fans within the last year, just leave?

wildjames
10-09-2006, 11:51 PM
it shows

Hey it's the resident moron chiming in. Thanks for contributing to the conversation with that amazing wit.

wildjames
10-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Super Bowl Ring. And one more thing. Let's see you play without your Appendix and after a near death Motorcycle accident.

I can use one word comebacks too, but fortunately for me mine are much more obvious.

Excuses.

CantStop85
10-10-2006, 06:42 AM
A QB does not make a T-E-A-M.
No but they can complete a team or break a team. Ask this year's Ravens or the 2004 Steelers.

Any franchise that is relying solely on a big name QB to save the day is fooling themselves.
Exactly...and the Steelers to this point have been relying too much on Big Ben...they need to get back to the basics.

sumo
10-10-2006, 11:45 AM
The Defense could not get San Diego off the field and we went to trick plays when we didn't need to ... Big Ben is fine -- the Defense needs work in the secondary - especialy the corners - they seem like they are always playing prevent -- I can't believe how many 3rd and longs Sand Diego converted ...

memphissteelergirl
10-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Hey it's the resident moron chiming in. Thanks for contributing to the conversation with that amazing wit.

That kind of response proves your so-called "wit" :yawn:

Interceptor
10-10-2006, 01:10 PM
only time will tell but i am thinking you are wrong....so fast your trying to forget that ben won 15 straight games as a rookie........
Exactly, the team carried Ben.

sumo
10-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Why don't all you people who became steeler fans within the last year, just leave?

NO KIDDING!! -- I agree -- if you can't support the guys after a couple of bad games where you gonna be if they have a rough season? -- you gonna run off and follow the next Super Bowl winner? --

wildjames
10-10-2006, 01:50 PM
That kind of response proves your so-called "wit" :yawn:

What so called wit? I was making fun of his pathetic responses. If I had made such a nonsensical response as he did, you would've been harping on me about it. But since he's a Steelers fan, oh it's ok! lol, pathetic.

sumo
10-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Didn't Bradshaw go through the same kinda slump after winning a superbowl? I seem to remember the Pats not being so great the year after they won their first ring..I'll give him this year to take his lumps...but I'm still confident they can go 13-3.

Good Point -- Long time fans have to remember the Bradshaw years -- he had some horrific games -- in his career he threw almost a 1-1 TD/Int ratio -- but he was still a great QB -- Big Ben will get there -- barring a big injury, he will be our QB for a long time and you have to look at what he's done in total and stick with him -- what if Knoll had yanked Bradshaw permanently for Gilliam, Hanratty, Stoudt, Malone etc? -- Knoll didn't even like Bradshaw but he stuck with him -- Cowher will stick with Ben....and he will be a great QB

Mosca
10-10-2006, 02:45 PM
even if he doesn't get to that level of greatness, it doesn't matter. Lots of game managers won 1 Superbowl... but a few of them won several and made it to the HOF that way. Bart Starr comes to mind. Roger Staubach. Joe Montana didn't have that rifle arm, either.

Most of the "big arm" guys never won a championship. Tarkenton. Jurgenson. Marino. Kelly. Tittle.

So go on, define greatness for me.

Tom

blackvelvet
10-10-2006, 04:29 PM
It wasn't only Ben. I mean sure, i have no idea what he was doing on that one throw (the one where he threw it right in the ground), but look at Holmes. He wasn't doing much either. He's definently no Randle El. Polamalu, as much as i love him, his tackling was really poor. I saw a lot of missed opportunities. But trust me, he's NOTHING like Maddox. MADDOX never won us a Super Bowl. MADDOX never got in an accident AND had an emergency apendectomy and expected to come back like nothing had happened. I think we'll be alright. I think. I hope.

HometownGal
10-10-2006, 09:42 PM
MADDOX never won us a Super Bowl. MADDOX never got in an accident AND had an emergency apendectomy and expected to come back like nothing had happened. I think we'll be alright. I think. I hope.

Sorry to have to say this, velvet, but Ben never won us a Super Bowl either. The Pittsburgh Steelers won the Lombardi via a total team effort and domination. While Ben certainly contributed to the team's successes the past two seasons, there is no "I" in TEAM. :wink02:

I refuse to point the finger solely at Ben for the team's poor start this season, though I do have to place part of the blame on him for trying to rush back before he was mentally ready to do so (just an opinion based on my own similar experiences). However, I do understand his desire to get back to "normal" and resume a career he loves as quickly as possible, but consequently, I've seen a fear in Ben this season that I didn't see in the past. He looks uncomfortable and apprehensive at times out there on the field where there once was such a comfort level. He is trying to force plays when there realistically is no choice but to throw the ball away or take the sack. Scrambling and running for those much needed yards was once one of his fortes and his hesitation to do so thus far this season has become one of his downfalls. These are all issues that can (and I'm sure will) be resolved as soon as his mental healing catches up with the healing that his body has done in a very short span of time. It's all about balance and our Ben is not yet balanced imho.

Tankus_Maximus
10-10-2006, 11:26 PM
I gotta agree with HTG, I would've started Batch against Jax & Cin, and let Ben have his 1st start back against The Bolts. Ya gotta just give SD credit, that D is younger & ferocious. I'm not about to pour any dirt on Ben, ya gotta take the bad with the good..and we've had a hell of a "good" so far.

That which doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.

Ben oughtta be able to compete in the World's Strongest Man Competition by the end of this season.

Preacher
10-11-2006, 01:33 AM
Good Point -- Long time fans have to remember the Bradshaw years -- he had some horrific games -- in his career he threw almost a 1-1 TD/Int ratio -- but he was still a great QB -- Big Ben will get there -- barring a big injury, he will be our QB for a long time and you have to look at what he's done in total and stick with him -- what if Knoll had yanked Bradshaw permanently for Gilliam, Hanratty, Stoudt, Malone etc? -- Knoll didn't even like Bradshaw but he stuck with him -- Cowher will stick with Ben....and he will be a great QB

I actually said the same thing awhile ago. Even if this slump lasts a year and a half... HE IS OUR MAN. It will not be a career ending issue. He will be unbeleivable. I cannot believe that some people want to throw him overboard after 4 bad games (SB and 3 this season).

If we treat Ben like Bradshaw... Ben will end up hating Pittsburgh like Bradshaw did. Do we REALLY want to be known for hating our franchise quarterbacks?

tony hipchest
10-11-2006, 03:59 PM
What so called wit? I was making fun of his pathetic responses. If I had made such a nonsensical response as he did, you would've been harping on me about it. But since he's a Steelers fan, oh it's ok! lol, pathetic.you made a nonsensical post that sucked. a called you out on it with 2 words. thats all it was worth. now run and go ask your papa bengalfans what you should type next like a good little organ grinding monkey.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Well Ben is playing terrible right now no doubt. But to ask the question if he is overrated is lame. We won't know how good or bad is until at least 5 more seasons. Ben had two good years so far. This year he has had three bad games. I'm so glad you can tell if Ben is overrated with 28 career stats so far in his young career.

Tankus_Maximus
10-12-2006, 09:20 AM
They're just the Ohio natives that are jealous Bens with The Stillers.

floodcitygirl
10-12-2006, 09:27 AM
They're just the Ohio natives that are jealous Bens with The Stillers.:iagree:

Preacher
10-14-2006, 04:49 AM
Well Ben is playing terrible right now no doubt. But to ask the question if he is overrated is lame. We won't know how good or bad is until at least 5 more seasons. Ben had two good years so far. This year he has had three bad games. I'm so glad you can tell if Ben is overrated with 28 career stats so far in his young career.

:iagree: Especially after the offseason he had.

SteelersWoman
10-16-2006, 06:53 AM
After Sunday's passer rating, that should settle the dust (at least for awhile!) lol

And hey--flood and tank? Not ALL Ohioans are stupid--there's LOTS of us that root for the Steelers ;) :P

floodcitygirl
10-16-2006, 07:22 AM
After Sunday's passer rating, that should settle the dust (at least for awhile!) lol

And hey--flood and tank? Not ALL Ohioans are stupid--there's LOTS of us that root for the Steelers ;) :PI'm well aware, SW...I live in Cincy....born and raised in Western PA. I was referring to the fans of Ohio teams. :smile:

HometownGal
10-16-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm well aware, SW...I live in Cincy....born and raised in Western PA. I was referring to the fans of Ohio teams. :smile:

I can always pick out a fellow Western PA gal. Smart, witty, classy, diehard and the uncanny ability to smell a rat from miles away - even as far away as California. Don't you agree flood? :wink02:

Tankus_Maximus
10-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Hey..how come Caution couldn't lead his team to a come from behind victory? The guy had time left on the clock. How come he couldn't get his team closer to field goal range?

That just proves that he can't put a team on his shoulders and lead 'em to victory. *snicker*
Sound familiar?

tony hipchest
10-16-2006, 10:10 AM
ben vs. chiefs 16/19 238 2td 0int (pretty much all in the 1st half)

carson vs cheifs 13/19 127 0td 0int

carson is overrated along with chad. put that in your pipe and smoke it.

ARKIESTEEL
10-16-2006, 10:13 AM
ben vs. chiefs 16/19 238 2td 0int (pretty much all in the 1st half)

carson vs cheifs 13/19 127 0td 0int

carson is overrated along with chad. put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Here Here good post. :thumbsup: