PDA

View Full Version : This team needs a GOTO receiver

Eztarget
10-09-2006, 11:44 AM
First let me say this: "Hines Ward is a GREAT, GREAT possession receiver and tough as nails, but he is NOT a deep threat.

This team needs a GOTO receiver that is fast & tall, that can go up and GET THE BALL especially on deep throws. We've run into several teams this year that have had just that and they're killed us.

Jax had two guys that were over 6'5" that you could just throw deep to and they would GET IT over our tiny DB's. San Diego's first TD was another example. Townsend had NO chance of covering that guy.

With Plaxico we sometimes got it (when he felt like playing) but now we have no one like that. Holmes will be good but he's not a deep threat.

I know he's quitting on the Raiders but this team (and Ben) could use a guy like Randy Moss. On plays like that flea flicker last night Moss would have went up between those two guys and caught that ball. Moss clearly wants out of Oakland and at this point (1-3) I'd make that deal to wake this team up. If teams have to fear that deep ball they'll think twice about moving up their safeties to stop our run as well. Right now teams are just loading up the box forcing Ben to throw to guys who can't get open. Cut Staley if you need the CAP space or just make him part of the trade offer.

steelfan 92
10-09-2006, 11:53 AM
what do you want a go to receiver or a deep threat, make up your mind. hines is that guy you go to on 3rd down, he'll make the tough catch. we have santonio and willie reid at the deep threats. also heath miller should be a guy ben looks for on 3rd down.

Hines86Ward
10-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Holmes has the speed of a deep threat, & maybe he can be that guy. He doesn't have the size of Plaxico, Randy Moss, or Chris Henry but not all guys have to be tall, look at Santana Moss, Steve Smith, & Marvin Harrison. There's no need to be calling for trades of any kind as of right now. We drafted 2 WR's in Santonio Holmes & Willie Reid. We have Hines Ward, a Top 10 WR in the NFL. Cedrick Wilson is good for his one catch a game. Give the guys time though, there's still 11 weeks left in the season....

s t e e l e r f a n 8 5
10-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Dont forget Nate.... he leads the team in receptions, and is 3rd to heath(who had 1 big play) and hines in reciving yards...

Eztarget
10-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Holmes has the speed of a deep threat, & maybe he can be that guy. He doesn't have the size of Plaxico, Randy Moss, or Chris Henry but not all guys have to be tall, look at Santana Moss, Steve Smith, & Marvin Harrison. There's no need to be calling for trades of any kind as of right now. We drafted 2 WR's in Santonio Holmes & Willie Reid. We have Hines Ward, a Top 10 WR in the NFL. Cedrick Wilson is good for his one catch a game. Give the guys time though, there's still 11 weeks left in the season....

See I disagree. All of our receivers our clones of one another. The team needs a variety at receiver and one tall guy who can go up in a crowd (or against a small DB) and get the ball.

None of the guys you just mentioned can do that. Steve Smith, Marvin Harrison and Santana Moss just get open plus they also have another good receiver whichs draws away extra coverage. Teams know to double up on Hines and there's no one left that scares them. When Plaxico was here that was impossible to do.

Hines86Ward
10-09-2006, 01:41 PM
See I disagree. All of our receivers our clones of one another. The team needs a variety at receiver and one tall guy who can go up in a crowd (or against a small DB) and get the ball.

None of the guys you just mentioned can do that. Steve Smith, Marvin Harrison and Santana Moss just get open plus they also have another good receiver whichs draws away extra coverage. Teams know to double up on Hines and there's no one left that scares them. When Plaxico was here that was impossible to do.

Give it time. We got rookies that have to develop. Nobody is going to double up on Santonio Holmes right away, let him develop into what he can be, and maybe he can draw some defenders off of Ward....We have to play with what we have...

Btrice
10-09-2006, 01:45 PM
I am pretty happy with the WR core. They had some missed route issues in the first 3 games but they were one of the few sections to actually fix their problem over the bye-week.