PDA

View Full Version : Whisenhunt blows it again

coachspeak33
10-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Another week... another Steeler loss... another bad day for our Offensive play caller.

Not offensive, as in offensive side of the ball, but offensive, as in unpleasant sensations.

Exhibit A
Game starts - 1st & 10 - whattaya know throwin on 1st down... incomplete... followed up by the patented 2nd & 10 div up the middle... no gain... creating a 3rd & long situation... incomplete pass.... and we start this must win game with a very whisenhunt-like 3 and out.

This is exactly what I have been clammoring about on this site for weeks.... using an uncomfortable and obviously lacking-in-confidence QB improperly. I am not one of these people chanting Charlie Batch's name. Ben is our QB period. But why must we call plays that only work if the QB is sharp and precise in his reads and delivery. Ben has never BEEN ASKED to carried us offfensively. I emphasized been asked, because it is one thing to come out and make reactionary reads and plays as a complimentary player and it is a completely different story to be an offenses primary bread winner. Ben has proven so far this year he isnt ready to carry that kinda load.

Exhibit B
Willie Parker got only 4 carries after halftime. As halftime approached NBC posted the typical Cohwer "with a lead at halftime stat" and they come out in the second half and give just 4 carries to the only guy to score a TD for us since September 7!!!!!!!

Willie averaged over 4 yds/carry. So its not as if we couldnt run the ball at all. Furthermore, ask yourself....were our lineman doing a better job of run blocking or pass blocking. Ray Charles could see that Ben was under constant pressure on most pass plays.

Besides all of this was the fact that we had the leadhalfway through the 3rd qtr. Play Steeler football!!!!! Run the pill, control the clock, keep the other tems O off the field, gain confidence one first down at a time. Let our D rest. Again, play Steeler football.

A lot of folks realized that when these two teams (and more importantly these two coaches) get together that it will be a defensive struggle. Both coaches get accused of sitting or turtling the football. On Sunday night, Marty and his O coordinator did a far better job of protecting his QB with a far safer gameplan and Phillip Rivers beat Big Ben... Not because he executed perfectly, but because his coaches didnt ask him to carry the load for 4 quarters........ Whisenhunt has asked Ben to carry the load the lastt 12 quarters he has played

How has that worked out for ya, Mr. Whisenhunt?????

stlrtruck
10-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Well thought out and well stated.

OneForTheToe
10-10-2006, 12:11 PM
I agree they got away from Steelers football on off.

Of course, to play Steelers Football, the big bad D is going to have to quit giving up mulitiple mile long TD drives. Also, it would help if the special teams would set the Steelers up with better field position and quit setting up the other teams with great field position.

It all either works, or doesn't work, all together.

coachspeak33
10-10-2006, 02:15 PM
good point one for the toe.... but i think most of us would agree that the starting point for our offense should always and has always (except for that fantastic 2003 season in which we went 6-10) been the running game.

19ward86
10-10-2006, 03:11 PM
he ran on 3rd down, ran on 1st down, and barely ever passed in the right situations. he needs to learn that 3rd and 10 usually doesnt get turned into a first down that many times when you run. we pass on second down and that is about all.

johriv5
10-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Great post coachspeak,,,,I've been telling my friends the exact same thing for the past 3 weeks....It's obvious that big Ben is not 100% yet, therefore most of the blame has to be placed with Cowher and Whiz....S.D. gave us a lesson on how to run an offense with a young QB.....Thought we had written the script on that already?!?!?!??

Hines0wnz
10-10-2006, 04:52 PM
2 words: Heath Miller

Black@Gold Forever32
10-10-2006, 04:57 PM
This thread cracks me up. Don't you think Bill Cowher has a say also in the play calling? But I agree Whiz and the coaching including Bill Cowher deserves some of the blame for the 1-3 start. But how can anybody bitch about the defense? Yea they did quit in the 2nd half of the Chargers game. But you know what I can't blame the D since our QB keeps throwing to the wrong jerseys. Its a big mess right now for the whole team. I just hope they have some pride left and turn this season around. But to me it seems the whole team is just living off last years accomplishments and is content right now.

Atlanta Dan
10-10-2006, 06:10 PM
The D is not blameless in this slide

1. Several failures to stop Jax on 3rd and long deep in Jax territory in second half

2. 98 (?) yard drive by Cincy after Ben throws the INT into the end zone
Cincy TD drive with a little over a minute left in first half
2 Cincy TDS on first plays after the 4th Q turnovers

3. 90 yard Chargers TD drive
4 possessions/4 scores by Chargers in second half

You win as a team and lose as a team - this has been a combined offense/defense/special teams effort

Black@Gold Forever32
10-10-2006, 06:14 PM
You make good points Dan. Yes the defense gave up those long drives for TD's as you so pointed out. Like I didn't know that since I watched every ****ing game this year. But I don't blame the defense since Ben keeps putting them in those spots anyway with his terrible decision making.

Atlanta Dan
10-10-2006, 06:41 PM
B&G Forever - certainly did not want to imply and do not believe I was taking a shot at you.

However, since you and I both have been watching the same, to use your term, f***king games, you asked with apparent sincerity how can anyone bitch about the defense. I thought it was a fair response. Ask and you shall receive :)

Ben has been a major disapointment but a great defense has to deal with it (the '76 Steelers went on their roll after Mike Kruczek replaced an injured Bradshaw at QB). To use a less cosmically great D as an example, Baltimore has not been lighting anyone up on the scoreboard the last several weeks but if the Ravens D played in the 4th Q the way the Steelers D has played they would have been in no position to beat the Chargers and Browns with their offense scoring a total of 16 and 15 points in those 2 games.

HometownGal
10-10-2006, 07:27 PM

1. Several failures to stop Jax on 3rd and long deep in Jax territory in second half

You win as a team and lose as a team - this has been a combined offense/defense/special teams effort

Bravo Dan!! :banana: When the facts stare you straight in the eyes, there's no denying 'em. I do, however, cut a little slack to the D, as they were on the field for almost 34 minutes in the Chargers game and when they picked off Rivers early in the 1st quarter, the O did not take advantage of that opportunity to turn Rivers' fubar into their gain. The Chargers, however, did take advantage of Ben's two picks, converting both INTs into a total of 10 points, the difference in the final score.

What I don't understand on the defensive side, though, is why LaBeau abandoned the pass rush, which was so effective in the first half. While I am sure the Chargers' OL coach made some adjustments to compensate for the Steelers' successful pursuit of Rivers, I didn't see much - if any - pass rush by our D in the second half.

steeler stev
10-10-2006, 07:50 PM

The majority of those opponents accomplishments came in the second half and I'm pretty sure our defense was on the field for at least 25 of the 30minutes in the first half. Our special teams put us in binds right from the very start of the game and our offense hardly ever shows up to the games. Lets run Paker AND DAVENPORT ALOT MORE to give our defense a rest.

stlrtruck
10-11-2006, 07:27 AM
What I don't understand on the defensive side, though, is why LaBeau abandoned the pass rush, which was so effective in the first half. While I am sure the Chargers' OL coach made some adjustments to compensate for the Steelers' successful pursuit of Rivers, I didn't see much - if any - pass rush by our D in the second half.

It's difficult to have a rush of any kind when the adjustments made by the other team include max protect. Also, if you notice our rushers continually ran to the outside, leaving the passing/running lanes wide open for Rivers. As I recall several games last year, our outside blitzers would roll off their blockers into that gap, thus eliminating any hope of a rush and guarenteeing either an incomplete pass, an interception, or a sack. That would get our D off the field on 3rd down (something they haven't done successfully this year) and give our offense opportunities to do their thing (something they haven't done at all this year either) - a responsibility that goes to the Offensive Coordinator and HC!