PDA

View Full Version : Micheal Irvin on ESPN NFL Sunay

TexaSteeler
10-15-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm surprised no one commented on this.

Berman, and the boys were talking about the Steelers woes and Irvin piped up. He said that they were 7-5 last year and all the cards fell into place; Palmer's injury, Plumber was sick, Stevens dropped a TD pass... (and just like that you're SB champs, right?) "You are just seeing the Steelers for who they really are."

I think everyone else on the pannel was kind of thinking, "I guess we have to have someone on the show to make off the wall comments."

Then they all, one by one, said the Steelers wouldn't make the playoffs.

Who will be there to call them on it when they do?

Petesburgh66
10-15-2006, 04:34 PM
I saw this as well. Berman did not rule out the Steelers to get a wildcard spot. The other three wrote them off.

As for Irving's comments. No surprise. He bashes the Steelers when he gets a chance.

PisnNapalm
10-15-2006, 06:23 PM
I avoid watching Irvin at all costs.

Preacher
10-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Hey..

What do you expect, Michael Irvin played for whom? SOUTH AMERICA'S TEAM...

Snort snort. :sofunny:

Once a rival, always a rival.

Eztarget
10-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Well with Baltimore and Cincy losing today things suddenly look a lot better considering we still have three games against both of them.

AvoidLLoyd95
10-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Irvin has all he can handle being a T.O. apologist. He should just go away.

SteelR1
10-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Irvin has all he can handle being a T.O. apologist. He should just go away.

He'll be busy forvever trying to keep up with T.O.!!!!!!!!!!

They're both CRAP!!!

TexaSteeler
10-15-2006, 09:12 PM
The whole "plumber sick" thing was stupid. All he had was Steeler Fever: it lands you on your back and you see black and gold.

harp79
10-15-2006, 09:22 PM
"Every week we sit here and talk about why the Steelers are where they are. They're not the Steelers of the 70's, the 49er's of the 80's, the Cowboy's of the 90's or the Patriots of this decade. All the cards fell right during the playoffs...blahblahblah..."

Nevermind the fact that we've been fairly consistent making the playoffs this decade with 3 AFC championship game appearances and a Superbowl championship. That doesn't make us a modern dynasty by any stretch of the imagination, but we've been pretty darn good for a pretty long time with some pretty tough loses in the playoffs. Given this plus the fact that we're the defending champions, I don't see why Irving is so surprised (other than the fact that he hates the Steelers).

jason97673
10-15-2006, 10:23 PM
I personally think our steelers are underrated. I mean I have never heard a media expert say anything positive about them. MEdia hates us for some reason. Oh well good for them

OX1947
10-15-2006, 11:32 PM
I cant figure out why Deion Sanders and the Michael Irvin's of the world get jobs like this. It was nice seeing them play football but their mouths are what turned me off, now i have to listen to them while I try and watch highlights. Stupid...

sumo
10-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Irvin's a tool -- he will be arrested before the year's done...

sumo
10-16-2006, 12:59 PM
I cant figure out why Deion Sanders and the Michael Irvin's of the world get jobs like this. It was nice seeing them play football but their mouths are what turned me off, now i have to listen to them while I try and watch highlights. Stupid...

Exactly!! -- give them some english lessons at least -- they're freakin horrible -- both of them yell for affect because they never say anything of substance...Marino sucks too

Buzz05
10-16-2006, 02:52 PM
I wasnt able to watch NFL Sunday because I was out of the house getting some stuff done before the game so I didnt hear the remarks. I also wasnt able to watch anything last night after the game due to the fact all I wanted to do was sleep (Birthday weekends can be hell after a few days). But anyway I would really like to know what old 'Crackpipe' Mike has to say about his beloved Baltimore Rats losing again. Afterall he seems to have a love fest with them

Infamix
10-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Exactly!! -- give them some english lessons at least -- they're freakin horrible -- both of them yell for affect because they never say anything of substance...Marino sucks too

Marino did pick us to go to the superbowl and win this year

sumo
10-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Marino did pick us to go to the superbowl and win this year

I know -- I was speaking from the standpoint of having to listen to him as a commentator from the original thread - especially when he's calling highlights -- he's right up there with Deion and Irvin in not being able to talk on TV ...he does know how to pick SB winners though:thumbsup:

TexaSteeler
10-16-2006, 03:41 PM
THey need someone who says stupid things based on emotion to balance all the other intelligent analysis on the show.

Otherwise there's no counter point.

SteelersWoman
10-16-2006, 04:14 PM
Berman, and the boys were talking about the Steelers woes and Irvin piped up. He said that they were 7-5 last year and all the cards fell into place; Palmer's injury, Plumber was sick, Stevens dropped a TD pass... (and just like that you're SB champs, right?) Then they all, one by one, said the Steelers wouldn't make the playoffs.

Apparently (according to that), the games were just "given" to us--our guys didn't really have to play for them OR earn them. Hmmm. Interesting. Given that frame of reference, if the Bengals WERE to make it to the SB (they won't, just using them for a recent example of a loss we had) then the only reason THEY would make it was because we wrapped that last game up and handed it to them with a pretty bow which gave them a win that helped them on their way. Do you think that anybody would be talking this time next year about what WE did in that game that helped them win? NO WAY.

Who will be there to call them on it when they do?

They will say our guys made it because of mistakes on other teams parts--just like they are still doing from last year. They will NEVer say it's because we earned it. If anyone else were to make it, that wouldn't be the case.

I've noticed that Jim Mora Sr. and Dan Marino are two of the few who actually gives props to the Steelers and their level of play. The rest? It wouldn't matter if we'd win 10 yrs in a row, it would be because it had been "handed" to us--not because our team earned it. Jealousy and hatred are SUCH ugly emotions!

Haiku_Dirtt
10-16-2006, 06:16 PM
He forgot to mention Neil O'Donnell-Gate and their 'lucky' Super Bowl XXX. I'd be pissed off too if Hastings and Mills (who?) both had more yardage then him and ZERO TD's against the Steeler D.

caseydog
10-17-2006, 02:05 PM
I live in Dallas, and I'm just waiting for the "America's Team" BS to come back. If they win one more game, I figure Dallas will be once again be claiming their devine right status to the playoffs. Of course whan they are losing, Dallas fans turn on the Cowpies big time.

As for Irvins comments. He played on a Team whose owner "bought" a few Superbowls. Do you guys rember the salary comparison between the Cowpies and the Steelers in that 1995 matchup?

Pittsburgh can't afford to "buy" a Superbowl. The Steelers have to get there by working harder -- and good coaching.

That's why, I believe, that the Steelers are consistantly in the playoffs, but only get a SB winn every once in a while. It is hard to beat a team that goes out and blows it's salary cap for the next ten years to win a Superbowl this year.

Irvin was lucky. He got on the right team at the right time -- the exact time that Jerry Jones decided to buy a Superbowl.

G

stlrtruck
10-17-2006, 09:59 PM
I thought it was illegal for Irvin to do coke again? Someone should remind him of that before he leaves his dressing room in the morning!

SteelShooter
10-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Well with Baltimore and Cincy losing today things suddenly look a lot better considering we still have three games against both of them.

Ditto! :iagree: