PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Roethlisberger discussion

Hammer67
10-15-2006, 08:12 PM
Stupidity and irrationality reared it's ugly head among some discussions I had with Steeler fans in recent weeks.

I have had numerous discussions with people saying they should bench Ben in favor of Batch. Or, :banging:....switch QB's every other quarter. :toofunny:

That has got to be the stupidest idea I have ever heard. You have a franchise QB who had the best first two years ever by a QB and you want to bench him for a guy who was 1-15 his last year as a starter....over THREE GAMES?????!?!!!

People are dumb...And I am glad all the stupid fans and media who considered this are eating crow right now.

How do people get so irrational?

Hammer67
10-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Looks like Ed Bouchette feels the same way and more eloquently slammed my point home.

I didn't even see this till after I posted!

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06288/730126-66.stm

Man_Of_Steel
10-15-2006, 08:17 PM
He WAS playing like CRAP until today, wasn't he? Can you deny that?

I find it odd how this team can play like total shiit 3 games in a row then all of a sudden come out firing on all cylinders in this game like nothing is wrong. Very strange.

siss
10-15-2006, 08:17 PM
There just crazy fans. The most popular guy in Pittsburgh is always the backup QB!

Hammer67
10-15-2006, 08:20 PM

I find it odd how this team can play like total shiit 3 games in a row then all of a sudden come out firing on all cylinders in this game like nothing is wrong. Very strange.

And??? Did Roethlisberger drop the punt against the Bengals? Has he been dropping passes or done any pass blocking?

Yes they played poorly but pulling him for Batch would be dumb. Hello!! Kordell & Tomczak anyone?????

Man_Of_Steel
10-15-2006, 08:21 PM
And??? Did Roethlisberger drop the punt against the Bengals? Has he been dropping passes or done any pass blocking?

Yes they played poorly but pulling him for Batch would be dumb. Hello!! Kordell & Tomczak anyone?????

How many INTs did he throw in the 3 game span? How many fumbles?

Dook
10-15-2006, 08:21 PM
Like Alan Faneca said, I don't think the fault is all Ben's. We were trying to throw the ball over 30 times a game with hurt and rookie WR's and an OL that is poor in pass protection and exceptional in run blocking.

We got away from what we were good at and tried to get fancy. That's why we lost 3 in a row.

TexaSteeler
10-15-2006, 10:14 PM
I couldn't see pulling him after you start him, but I think they did bring him back to early. Batch was doing great. Should have let him start another game.

Da Question
10-15-2006, 10:17 PM
pullin him would have been dumb, huge confidence killer. Let him play his way out of the slump instead of makin him lose confidence by benching him.

harp79
10-15-2006, 10:26 PM
How many INTs did he throw in the 3 game span? How many fumbles?

How many of those INTs came during 4th Quarter despiration drives?

PisnNapalm
10-15-2006, 10:30 PM
I don't think Ben should have started the Jacksonville game. That's my opinion.

I do thin that our offensive line got man-handled in Jacksonville and San Diego. Turnovers killed us in all 3 losses. Yeah some of those were interceptions. No QB is gonna be perfect or even close to it while he's trying to evade a rush all game.

The O line stepped up and played like they are capable of today. Ben had the time he needed and got the job done. The O line opened holes for the running backs and they got the job done.

Our defense played hard and got the rest they needed to stay sharp.

HometownGal
10-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Like Alan Faneca said, I don't think the fault is all Ben's. We were trying to throw the ball over 30 times a game with hurt and rookie WR's and an OL that is poor in pass protection and exceptional in run blocking.

We got away from what we were good at and tried to get fancy. That's why we lost 3 in a row.

Ding, ding, ding- we have a winner! :cheers:

I believe the team meeting that Cowher had with the guys earlier this week really did the trick. If you will recall, he held a team meeting when the team was 7-5 last season going into Week 13 and we all know what happened after that pow-wow. :tt02:

hardwork
10-15-2006, 10:36 PM
How many of those INTs came during 4th Quarter despiration drives?

A few, but I've said it before in here and I'll say it again. Roethlisberger is going to throw interceptions. That's the way he plays the game. However, he's going to win more then he looses because that's also the way he plays the game.

Preacher
10-15-2006, 10:43 PM
I completely agree.

Did I have confidence in this year?? This team?? Nope. I just looked wierd...

However, I completely backed Roethlisberger, still do.

NOW do I have confidence in this year.. in this team?? Nope. Great win. Great game. BUt i want to see more consistacy out of my QB, RB's, O Line, DB's... heck.. everyone but the D line. However, do I have more HOPE now?

Absolutely.

Steel_Bus_24
10-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Ben made some stupid plays his first three games. He also didn't pull it down and run with it when he should have, like he did a lot last year, instead he hung in the pocket dancing around forcing thows.

The blame isn't soley on him though, becasue the line was bad in most cases, and wrs couldn't get any seperation.

So yes he looked horrible, but anyone thinking that benching him for Batch is retarded. Ben needed to work through that stuff and hopefully he has now. He is our franchise QB.

Some people seem to forget that he is only a 3rd year QB and that having a 28-7 record is not a common occurrence.

In short people overreacted because this was really the first time we have seen Ben struggle like that. But benching ben over 3 games is retarded ideas of morons.

What would be so great about the good times if we didn't experience the bad. Its the bad times that humble ya....lets just hope the Steelers have been humbled enough

Hammer67
10-15-2006, 11:15 PM
I couldn't see pulling him after you start him, but I think they did bring him back to early. Batch was doing great. Should have let him start another game.

Ok...you decide to start Batch for Jacksonville and he has the same outing as Ben, or worse. Then what do you do? When do you start Ben?

See the dilema?

X-Terminator
10-15-2006, 11:39 PM

*sighs* Some people are just never satisfied... :pity:

X-Terminator
10-15-2006, 11:42 PM
Ben made some stupid plays his first three games. He also didn't pull it down and run with it when he should have, like he did a lot last year, instead he hung in the pocket dancing around forcing thows.

The blame isn't soley on him though, becasue the line was bad in most cases, and wrs couldn't get any seperation.

So yes he looked horrible, but anyone thinking that benching him for Batch is retarded. Ben needed to work through that stuff and hopefully he has now. He is our franchise QB.

Some people seem to forget that he is only a 3rd year QB and that having a 28-7 record is not a common occurence.

In short people overreacted because this was really the first time we have seen Ben struggle like that. But benching ben over 3 games is retarded ideas of morons.

No, it's typical Steelers fan bandwagonism is what it is, which should surprise NO ONE. I knew as soon as Ben had a few bad games, these fairweather fans would be calling for his head, rather than understand and support him through his rough times.

Prosdo
10-16-2006, 12:09 AM
I never lost faith in him. The guy has shown time and time again what he can do. He just needed to find his way back and he did that today. Welcome back Ben!