PDA

View Full Version : Posted today at "The Sporting News"......

WV-SteelerFan
10-15-2006, 11:06 PM
I saw this posted at "The Sporting News" website tonight...

"...Gotta disagree there. I think Cowher was borderline running up the score. It was already clear the game was a blowout, but Cowher was rushing to score extra points, etc. I thought the challenge attempt to preserve the shutout was fine because that means a lot to the players. But come on now... what was it, the 3rd quarter and you're up by 25, he not only GOES FOR IT on 4th and 1 instead of kicking an easy field goal, but then he CHALLENGES (and wins the challenge, but that's not my point) the play when it doesn't appear he has a touchdown. What's all that about? Is it that serious that you have to make sure you're up by 33 points instead of 30 points, or whatever that was?

Come on now, Cowher. You've been coaching in the league long enough that you should know the classy thing to do is to grind out yards, sit on the huge lead, and slowly run out the clock... using backups if possible without losing some of the lead. I don't want to hear about motivation or sending a message... that had already been done. You killed them... no need to keep stabbing the body. Then you just look like a fool..."

:blah: :blah:

It was in reply to...

"...Steelers played like Champions today, except that they started to lay off in the second half. They must continue to finish off teams. There are two halfs to a game and if one team can score 31 points in one half, the other team can score the same in the second..."

MACH1
10-16-2006, 01:05 AM
cant lay down and die either..:jammin:

Preacher
10-16-2006, 01:31 AM
You know,

I really could careless what people say. We had to put the ball in the endzone again... and again, and again. I am actually upset that we didn't put up over 50 points!!

But hey.. I am satisfied with 45! LOL

SteelersWoman
10-16-2006, 01:37 AM
I thought Cowher did the "classy" thing when he had Ben take a knee when we could've easily gotten another touchdown at the end of the game--there was almost a full minute left.

Until the end, you do NOT quit--you do NOT just give" charity points" to the other team just because you've beaten them so badly. They have to earn their points, same as everyone else.

Cowher did the right thing in challenging it--he would've any OTHER time.

stillers4me
10-16-2006, 05:07 AM
I'm glad he gave the guys a chance to PLAY and make PLAYS while we could try some things out and safely still win the game. I was a little concerned about unnecessary injuries. Didn't get tosee Ben kneel down with the ball.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Elvis
10-16-2006, 05:37 AM
:tt02: :helmet:
Dont let these writtings get ya going so much.. there is going to always be people saying things... If we lose they got something to say... and if we play a complete game and win then they have to find something to :crying01: about..:banana: :party: :cheer: :hug:

Mosca
10-16-2006, 06:27 AM
Hey, I wanted to win 1,000,000 to 0. Screw 'em, we needed to hit on all cylinders over and over and over. We needed to know.

Tom

Buzz05
10-16-2006, 09:41 AM
It seems to me that no matter what the Steelers do they get criticized for it. When we win close..we didnt win convincingly...when we blow them out..we ran up the score....when we lose then we are in shambles and left for dead. To me people are always going to hate on the Steelers just because of who they are and what they stand for.

Dook
10-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Who cares about the score. It's a win. I'm sure if you check history there are a few times the Steelers have lost by that amount.

I remember a few years back when the 49'ers played the Eagles. Philadelphia just had their number and won by something like 45-3. The lowly 49'ers then went on to win the super bowl.

Andy225
10-16-2006, 10:12 AM
I saw this posted at "The Sporting News" website tonight...

"...Gotta disagree there. I think Cowher was borderline running up the score. It was already clear the game was a blowout, but Cowher was rushing to score extra points, etc. I thought the challenge attempt to preserve the shutout was fine because that means a lot to the players. But come on now... what was it, the 3rd quarter and you're up by 25, he not only GOES FOR IT on 4th and 1 instead of kicking an easy field goal, but then he CHALLENGES (and wins the challenge, but that's not my point) the play when it doesn't appear he has a touchdown. What's all that about? Is it that serious that you have to make sure you're up by 33 points instead of 30 points, or whatever that was?

Come on now, Cowher. You've been coaching in the league long enough that you should know the classy thing to do is to grind out yards, sit on the huge lead, and slowly run out the clock... using backups if possible without losing some of the lead. I don't want to hear about motivation or sending a message... that had already been done. You killed them... no need to keep stabbing the body. Then you just look like a fool..."

:blah: :blah:

It was in reply to...

"...Steelers played like Champions today, except that they started to lay off in the second half. They must continue to finish off teams. There are two halfs to a game and if one team can score 31 points in one half, the other team can score the same in the second..."

seriously, where are you getting this crap from?

Is this from a 10 year old?

None of the points make any sense, the guy can't even get his numbers right, and third of all hes not the coach. Cowher is going to do what he has to do, especially after going 0-3 hes going to keep his starters in when they are clicking.

this isn't even worth writing about any of the idiotic points this guy tried to make

HERE WE GO STEELERS! HERE WE GO~!

ARKIESTEEL
10-16-2006, 10:16 AM
I hope we win the next on 90 to 0 and they can keep on writeing stupid crap as long as we keep winning. They had Ben drove so far in the dirt that I thought the lad may never dig out but he did in a big way. My wife said when we was watching his post game interveiw "he just looks like he feels better" I said you know your right I think the the kids health has improved

BigDuke6
10-16-2006, 10:34 AM
I'm with Buzz05 on this one. As defending SB Champs everybody's got their mojo on for us. No matter what we do, it'll be construed as negative. To Hell with 'em.
Steeler Nation stands strong !!!!!

Stlrs4Life
10-16-2006, 10:35 AM
No, but thought it was kinda classless when Cowher challenged KCs TD, when we were up 31-0.

klick81
10-16-2006, 10:42 AM
No, but thought it was kinda classless when Cowher challenged KCs TD, when we were up 31-0.

I didn't think it was classless. Like the dumbass who was quoted in the first post said, a shutout means a whole lot to the players. Especially when they're coming off of a 3 game losing streak.

SteelerFanInCA
10-16-2006, 10:46 AM
I think Cowher challenging the Davenport TD just shows that he still has that motivation and fire inside of him. We need to finish teams like that and not give them any chance to get back in it.

Btrice
10-16-2006, 10:47 AM
I didn't think it was classless. Like the dumbass who was quoted in the first post said, a shutout means a whole lot to the players. Especially when they're coming off of a 3 game losing streak.

Agreed.

4th and Goal on the 1-2 yard line and you HAVE to go for it. At worst you give it back to them in TERRIBLE field position, but the point is the more work your team can get in the crowded goal line area the better.

Didn't KC just win by like 40+ points in their last game against the 49ers? Was this a KC fan who said this on tSN? If so how did he feel about the score of THAT game?

LambertLunatic
10-16-2006, 12:16 PM
I find the timing of this debate ironic. This was the week before we play the Falcons. As I recall, the last time we played Atlanta, we did NOT run up the score. Instead, we played to hold on to a large lead, only to lose it. We owned the Falcons for 3 quarters that game, much like we owned KC for 3 quarters yesterday. There were 2 differences between that Atlanta game and the KC game. ONE- we didn't declare victory in the 3rd quarter. TWO-we won because of that 1st difference.

noto45
10-16-2006, 12:24 PM
who cares what they think anyhow..

In Cowher we trust!

WV-SteelerFan
10-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Was this a KC fan who said this on tSN?
Actually, he's a Chicago Bears fan...

Here's the link to the article...

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=138694 (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=138694)

(1st page, 9th comment)

STEELCRTN4EVER
10-17-2006, 08:45 AM
I was at the game and there was huge pressure to challenge that call from the FANS!! The team needed a blowout and I am with Bill....Kick them when they are down, this is the NFL!

Mosca
10-17-2006, 10:05 AM
31-0... you let up, all of a sudden it's 31-14 and they think they can pull an upset. Screw 'em. Look what happened to Arizona last night. Never let up, any team in the NFL is capable of coming back (except maybe the Raiders). If we can score 31 in a half, so can they.

Don't pay any attention to the idiots who are trying to put the spin on everything. You see the same stuff they do, they didn't get some special insider's broadcast with more information. Hell, most of them, the only thing they saw was the score. Your insight is every bit as valuable as anyone else's, but you don't have a $1000 suit and a network contract that allows you to poison your viewers' minds. Discussing the NFL is just as big a business as the NFL itself is... but don't confuse the discussion with the actual game. The discussion is still a derivative shell of what takes place on the field, and discussing the discussion is pointless.

Tom

SteelerFanInCA
10-17-2006, 11:10 AM
31-0... you let up, all of a sudden it's 31-14 and they think they can pull an upset. Screw 'em. Look what happened to Arizona last night. Never let up, any team in the NFL is capable of coming back (except maybe the Raiders). If we can score 31 in a half, so can they.

Don't pay any attention to the idiots who are trying to put the spin on everything. You see the same stuff they do, they didn't get some special insider's broadcast with more information. Hell, most of them, the only thing they saw was the score. Your insight is every bit as valuable as anyone else's, but you don't have a $1000 suit and a network contract that allows you to poison your viewers' minds. Discussing the NFL is just as big a business as the NFL itself is... but don't confuse the discussion with the actual game. The discussion is still a derivative shell of what takes place on the field, and discussing the discussion is pointless.

Tom

Well put and we all know there are plenty of idiots out there. I love the self proclaimed football experts. They crack me up.

Btrice
10-17-2006, 11:35 AM

Tom

This should be a disclaimer shown at the beginning of every broadcast, verbatim. Good post.

steelcurtain09
10-17-2006, 11:40 AM

Tom

perfectly said

rep to u

stlrtruck
10-17-2006, 12:04 PM
It just proves once again that the media is full of people from the Moreville School for the Gifted (see the Far Side Cartoon of the kid trying to walk in the door by pushing on it when it says pull)!

Their opinions are like my daughters after-the-fact diapers 1)Stinky 2)Useless!

Jacknut
10-18-2006, 03:08 PM
I remember a few years ago when the Pokes were up 30-0 on the Jints at halftime. The Jints actually came back after the Pokes called off the dogs. Final score: Pokes 33, Jints 30

SteelersWoman
10-19-2006, 03:30 AM
What about the Bears game against the Cards?

If it were really like that fan was proclaiming, was it that serious that they had to win that game? I mean, my heavens--they'd already won 5 games, why not let the poor 1-4 Cards have that 1 lousy game? Wouldn't that have been the "classy" thing to do? Not like it woulda killed 'em to give that one up...

Some people are just stupid, and they can't help themselves lol

X-Terminator
10-19-2006, 06:41 AM
I find it ironic that this was posted by a BEARS fan, who dropped 40 points on the Cards last week, and 38 on the Seahawks the week prior. Bet this idiot didn't think that was running up the score then :dang:

And why no mention of the Chargers, who put up 48 points on the Niners on Sunday?

Another jealous Steeler hater. How nice.

HometownGal
10-19-2006, 06:49 AM
The team needed a blowout and I am with Bill....Kick them when they are down, this is the NFL!

Preach it brotha! :jammin: The NFL has become pussified enough as it is. When a team has the opportunity to pour it on and win a game convincingly, I see nothing wrong with that. The only time I think running up a score is classless is when a team has the ball, is ahead by a huge margin at the two minute warning, but still attempts to score. Cowher could have gone for more points at the end of the KC game, but didn't. End of story.

Preacher
10-20-2006, 01:29 AM
Preach it brotha! :jammin: The NFL has become pussified enough as it is. When a team has the opportunity to pour it on and win a game convincingly, I see nothing wrong with that. The only time I think running up a score is classless is when a team has the ball, is ahead by a huge margin at the two minute warning, but still attempts to score. Cowher could have gone for more points at the end of the KC game, but didn't. End of story.

Hey... if that is the scenario... "A team has the ball, is ahead by a huge margin at the two minute warning," and it is the Bungles....

RUN UP THE SCORE

Anything else would be us failing in teaching the Bungles humility.

:sign09:

Lyn
10-20-2006, 02:03 AM
The absolute only time running up the score is classless is in Pee Wee football. When you are trying to teach sportsmanship to little kids.

How many times have you and I both sat and watched Cowher "back off" to nearly lose a game or to lose a game?
Keep it coming Cowher, put it to 'em

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

SteelersNationsfl
10-20-2006, 12:59 PM

Sooo many times do I see this being done by other teams. (Not going to mention names) We do have the right to score as many points as we can or want but, I don't feel that we ran up the score on them. If we wanted to we could have scored more points than 45. I have seen countless situations where other teams are running up the score in a game that was already won in the 1st half.

Anyway... we did need a game like that to brighten up the season and our spirits. :tt02: