PDA

View Full Version : Don't get to excited yet.

Stlrs4Life
10-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Everybody seems to be on the Steelers jock all of a sudden. If there is no better time than to pull out one of Bill Cowhers sayings, it is now. "Let's put things in perspective." We beat a team that we should have beaten. Let's carry on to the next. Atlanta.

klick81
10-16-2006, 10:34 AM
I have no problem with being excited. After the past three weeks, there's no way I CAN'T be excited. By the way, we DEMOLISHED a team we should have beaten. We made a statement!

ARKIESTEEL
10-16-2006, 10:34 AM
Come on Dom you cant pour water on the fire till Tuesday I read that was a law somewhere. Your right but we need to be on a up note for awhile:tt02:

Stlrs4Life
10-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Come on Dom you cant pour water on the fire till Tuesday I read that was a law somewhere. Your right but we need to be on a up note for awhile:tt02:

OK, Arkie. I understand! I think it's the 24 hr. rule.

Btrice
10-16-2006, 10:37 AM
I think, at least in my circle of friends, more people are excited about the life we saw in Ben yesterday than the win itself.

SteelerFanInCA
10-16-2006, 10:42 AM
I think, at least in my circle of friends, more people are excited about the life we saw in Ben yesterday than the win itself.

Agreed, glad to see Ben coming back from the dead. Either way it was a great win for us yesterday.

Atlanta Dan
10-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Agreed it was a great win but this blowout (unlike such blowouts as New England and Philly midway through the 2004 season) is not yet part of a winning streak.

Yesterday will not help much without a follow-up next week in Atlanta. For what it is worth the line opened with the Steelers favored by 1&1/2, which may reflect both the Steelers first half and Falcons second half play yesterday.

FYI the Atlanta paper and sports talk stations are bashing the Falcons like the Steelers were getting hammered after the San Diego game - look for the Falcons (who are now chasing Carolina and the Saints) to be playing with some desperation on Sunday.

Hopefully the typically front running Atlanta fans will sell their tickets to Steelers fans and the Black & Gold fans will be well represented at the Georgia Dome this week.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-16-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm very happy and excited about the win. But the Steelers need to do it consistently now from week to week. So its not like I'm proclaiming this team to be a playoff or Super Bowl lock. But the Falcons can't pass the ball. So the Steelers defense will shut down the Falcons running game. I know the Falcons rushing attack is the best in the NFL or one of the best. But the Steelers run defense is one of the best and will shut down the Falcons running game.

The Steelers must keep a spy on Vick. You can't let him run crazy and convert long third downs like the last time the Steelers played the Falcons at Heinz Field in 2002. The game ended in a tie after the Steelers blew a double digit lead in that game.

I see this game coming down to turn overs. If the Steelers protect the ball then they will win this game. Yesterday Ben looked like Big Ben. So thats a big plus heading into this game.

MACH1
10-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Should be a good game, hopefully they can get back to .500. With the bungholes playing Carolina next, might end up tied with them. I agree need to keep Vick corraled up and not let him run all over the place. :tt02: :tt02:

Atlanta Dan
10-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Vick is not the player he was in 2002 when he was the world's greatest sandlot player and ran wild at Heinz.

Hard to believe a NFL QB would regress in his ability to respond to defenses from his second to his sixth year bit that is the case with Vick.

The Falcons demented combination of the West Coast offense and an option running attack that looks like something Oklahoma or Nebraska would run in the 1980s has totally screwed up Vick's passing mechanics. Since Vick is closer to the owner than the coaches are, he may jhave had enoughg, say screw it, and play his own game this week.

If the Steelers get up 10 points on the Falcons the Georgia Dome crowd will turn against the Falcons and that team's fragile psyche will break. It always is helpful, but a quick start is particularly crucial on the road next Sunday.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Well I would that Vick isn't the same player he was. But he still is a huge threat to run the ball and make big plays with his legs. I don't see Dunn having a good game against the Steelers run defense. The Steelers have shut down LT, Rudi Johnson, Ronnie Brown and Larry Johnson. So I think Dunn will be shut down as well.

If Ben plays like he did yesterday and just makes plays. Plus avoid the INT's. Then the Steelers will win this game by double digits.

sumo
10-16-2006, 12:31 PM

No kidding -- it was good to see Ward's smile again too -- these guys are fun to watch win or lose when they play loose and have a good time...

19ward86
10-16-2006, 02:33 PM
i truly think that we will beat the falcons by a large margin. maybe not by 38 points but at least 14. they have ran for 250 yds a game, but pitt only allows around 50. lets see how that works out. even yesterday when they ran for 230 they still only scored 14 pts. they need to stick to the run, warrick dunn only ran 14 times. if he would of ran 20-25 times maybe they would of had the ball longer and maybe they could of scored.

LarryNJ
10-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Hard to believe a NFL QB would regress in his ability to respond to defenses from his second to his sixth year bit that is the case with Vick.

Kordell did!

There were many things to be excited about after yesterdays game, more important to me than Ben or Hines was the O-line. When they roll the whole offense rolls. Enjoy it, be excited we deserve it after the last month.

Atlanta Dan
10-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Kordell did!

Good point.

I have been telling my friends that are Falcons fans for several years that Vick is Kordell Version 2.0 (gifted athlete who is unable or unwilling to read defenses or fix his screwed up passing mechanics) - they are beginning to agree.

Falcons are going to get blistered by the ATL media this week. Given my low opinion of Mora this Falcons team may be getting eaten up with internal doubts.

HometownGal
10-16-2006, 03:16 PM
No kidding -- it was good to see Ward's smile again too -- these guys are fun to watch win or lose when they play loose and have a good time...

Yes, most definitely! :smile: I don't think Ben and Hines are the only ones who had some life injected into them yesterday - the entire team played as a TEAM and returned to playing smashmouthed, hard-nosed, grind 'em out Steelers football. I saw a confidence in those guys - all of them - that I hadn't seen since the Super Bowl last season. As B&GF32 so correctly states above - consistency is the key here. Sure we're riding high on that win yesterday and I'm sure the team is, too, but they have got to keep the style of play on both sides of the ball that they exhibited yesterday going. We don't want to be viewed as one-week wonders like the....ummmmm.....Bungles. :flap:

FOOTEupyourarse
10-16-2006, 03:20 PM
:tt02: It just feels really good at work today. Our STEELERS won, the Bungles lost, the ravens lost, and the eagles lost(i'm stuck in eagle country). Anyway, anyone know what the deal is with Kreider's ankle?

BigDuke6
10-16-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm mostly excited about the easy $50 I made off my KC Chiefs fan buddy of mine.
Wooo-Hooo

Preacher
10-16-2006, 04:21 PM
I put in another thread comments that probably better fit into this thread.

Do I now have confidence in the Steelers this year? Nope.. not yet. However, I now have hope.

And I am OVERJOYED at the fact that I can legitamately have hope now.

stillers4me
10-16-2006, 06:05 PM
Not only did we have a much needed BIG win, Ben returned to the land of the living, Hines was smiling, and Troy was......well, everywhere!! All we need now is some Joey smack talk and all well be well with the world. Enjoy it.....we deserve it!!

And the Bungles LOST!!!!!!!! All the kitty fans at work were awfully quiet today....no smack talk.......it took all the fun out of it!!!

SteelCzar76
10-16-2006, 06:15 PM
Everybody seems to be on the Steelers jock all of a sudden. If there is no better time than to pull out one of Bill Cowhers sayings, it is now. "Let's put things in perspective." We beat a team that we should have beaten. Let's carry on to the next. Atlanta.

Well said 4Life. It's only one down (we've got 14 to go). It's a pretty good start,.....but i'd like to see us play with the same focus and Killer instinct against every opponent. Not just the inconsistent teams with backup Qb's,..... and the Clowns.
It was good to see the spark provided by Santonio and Kemo (Kemoeatu) to their respective positions. As well as Troy's return to form. (So to speak)
In regards to the Falcons,...fundamental's will be the key,....especially in regards to wrapping up. We get sloppy with Dunn,.... and he's gonna be a serious problem. (remember the last time we played these cat's?) We've got to play with discipline regarding containment for Vick and force him to try and beat us passing.
On offense,...... it's gonna come down to the ground game and Heath. I know many are impressed with Ced and Nate,......but i'm still not sold on them. Deangelo Hall and the rest of their secondary,......will render them a non factor.
Bottom line,..... we need a big game from Willie and the O-Line. Stay away from turnover's, create them,....and capitalize with points when we do,.... so as to demoralize them (Falcons) and their fans. It's a must win game for them as well,......so starting fast on both sides of the ball will be of great importance.

"Hail Caesar,..........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Stlrs4Life
10-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Well said 4Life. It's only one down (we've got 14 to go). It's a pretty good start,.....but i'd like to see us play with the same focus and Killer instinct against every opponent. Not just the inconsistent teams with backup Qb's,..... and the Clowns.
It was good to see the spark provided by Santonio and Kemo (Kemoeatu) to their respective positions. As well as Troy's return to form. (So to speak)
In regards to the Falcons,...fundamental's will be the key,....especially in regards to wrapping up. We get sloppy with Dunn,.... and he's gonna be a serious problem. (remember the last time we played these cat's?) We've got to play with discipline regarding containment for Vick and force him to try and beat us passing.
On offense,...... it's gonna come down to the ground game and Heath. I know many are impressed with Ced and Nate,......but i'm still not sold on them. Deangelo Hall and the rest of their secondary,......will render them a non factor.
Bottom line,..... we need a big game from Willie and the O-Line. Stay away from turnover's, create them,....and capitalize with points when we do,.... so as to demoralize them (Falcons) and their fans. It's a must win game for them as well,......so starting fast on both sides of the ball will be of great importance.

"Hail Caesar,..........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Exactly.