PDA

View Full Version : Where is Pittsburgh?

Btrice
10-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Ok so the title was just a little vague to bring more people in here.

So I have had this argument for most of my life with various people, having the situation become one of my biggest pet peeves. And am having it yet again at the office today with some guys who grew up in TN and OH.

Let me preface with the situation that started it all. When I was a kid I used to LOVE the Family Feud gameshow. One time a friend's family was on there and Richard Dawson was going through the typical pregame "get to know you" session. Just to let you know about my friend's dad, he was a BIG african american blue collar steel worker dude, the kind of guy that scares everybody just by walking into a room (he was a great guy though, just looked mean). So Richard Dawson asks "where are you from?" and Big Ty says "Were from Pittsburgh!" and Dawson replies "Ah, heart of the midwest" and Big Ty gives him the meanest watchatalkinboutwillis face and says "You do know that Pittsburgh is in Pennsylvania, right?"

So I've had this argument with many people in my life. In my opinion Pittsburgh is NOT a mid western city. Unless of course you are talking middle of the western HEMISPHERE lol. Its not an East Coast city, but it sure as hell isn't some corn field having, home of superman, flat as a pancake BFE city either (not that there's anything wrong with that :flap: ).

What do you all think?

SteelShooter
10-16-2006, 10:19 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry..........really...............

Btrice
10-16-2006, 10:41 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry..........really...............

Well that was the reaction I was going for but I cant believe that nobody else has had this conversation. It does bug the s%^& out of me though because I hate when stupid people say something completely assinine and the sheep just assume it is correct. I had this conversation when I was a student at Penn State and couldn't find one fellow Pittsburgh native that thought this. I have even heard it from announcers at the beginning of nationally televised Steeler games.

I have found a few articles and blogs that agree with me. I realize that almost nobody reads the locker room but come on, somebody else has to be a perfectionist like me and like to point out flaws in commonly supported misconceptions, especially when its about our home town. Maybe I should have started a thread about how half the nation (and yes I have lived in a lot of places in this country) thinks Pittsburgh is filled with a bunch of blue-collar unsophisticated dolts. There are PLENTY of arguments against that, UPMC, CMU, etc etc.

Mamaduck43
10-16-2006, 11:54 PM
I have lived with having to clear up misconceptions about Pittsburgh my entire life.... And I believe the same thing about Pittsburgh as I do about my belief about voting..... If you don't vote, you have no right to bitch about what the elected officials are doing in office, and if you haven't lived in Pittsburgh, you have no right to talk down about it.....

Pittsburgh has so much going for it and so many wonderful things and wonderful people that I really take offense when someone digs up the old "Smokey City" name and some of the other horrible things that are said about it..... The museums and theaters, the medical facilities, the educational facilities, the food (OMG - - - the food!!!!) and, yes, the beautiful scenery and sightseeing opportunities are unequaled in the WORLD!!!!! Look at the Corporations that got their start in Pittsburgh - - with Pittsburgh people - - and the scientific, mechanical, transportation, and industrial companies who are proud of their Pittsburgh roots.....

And then you can start talking about sports...... Good grief - - few cities can claim teams that have at one time or another been at the top of the heap..... And few cities can claim fans who remain loyal to their teams through thick and thin.......

I no longer live there - - - but I truely enjoyed my growing up years there and the couple of times when the AirForce allowed us to live there during my ex's career.... I always look forward to going back and I am anxious to spend some time there this coming summer......

beSteelmyheart
10-17-2006, 06:58 PM
I noticed you live in Orlando...people in Florida have no place to say anything about blue collar dolts..the school systems down here are some of the worst in the country. It's a big deal in Fla to pass the FCATs. It's all they talk about during that time of year.
The only thing I can think of is just to tell them it's in Steelers Country!!

PisnNapalm
10-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Pittsburgh is at the confluence of the Monongahela, Allegheny and Ohio Rivers. If they ask what a confluence is give 'em a dictionary.

If they don't know where it is screw 'em. Then they can't find us and ruin our great city!

Btrice
10-17-2006, 07:24 PM
I noticed you live in Orlando...people in Florida have no place to say anything about blue collar dolts..the school systems down here are some of the worst in the country. It's a big deal in Fla to pass the FCATs. It's all they talk about during that time of year.
The only thing I can think of is just to tell them it's in Steelers Country!!

Actually the people here are not that bad, and there are a ton of Pittsburgh transplants down here anyways. The worst places for anti-Pittsburgh talk of all the places I've lived were Washington DC, and New England (near Boston).

blackvelvet
10-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Pittsburgh is so special, it has no specific geographical location. :)

steelcurtain09
10-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Actually the people here are not that bad, and there are a ton of Pittsburgh transplants down here anyways. The worst places for anti-Pittsburgh talk of all the places I've lived were Washington DC, and New England (near Boston).

ohh yeah I hear ya
evn though there r still are a ton of fans of the Black N' Gold down here

Chronicgaming
10-18-2006, 11:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_States

Yeah, they are totally off when they say Mid West. I've always been proud of the blue collar heritage that's been a part of the Steel City. Buffalo and Cleveland also have similiar blue collar history, but I won't count Cleveland with the rivalry and all... j/k

Btrice
10-19-2006, 10:23 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_States

Yeah, they are totally off when they say Mid West. I've always been proud of the blue collar heritage that's been a part of the Steel City. Buffalo and Cleveland also have similiar blue collar history, but I won't count Cleveland with the rivalry and all... j/k

I've never been a big fan of Wikipedia, it is chock full of mistakes, but I'll agree with that article. Mid Atlantic it is. Yeah and screw cleveland lol

Chronicgaming
10-19-2006, 10:40 AM
I've never been a big fan of Wikipedia, it is chock full of mistakes, but I'll agree with that article. Mid Atlantic it is. Yeah and screw cleveland lol

Yeah, I agree with you about Wiki. I just thought it gave the best illustration of things that were drilled into me since elementary school (yeah, they really wanted to make sure we know what the Mid-Atlantic region was...haha).

LarryNJ
10-19-2006, 02:46 PM
I never thought of Pgh. as the midwest. Although go 60 miles west and Ohio is the midwest. If the only 2 choices were mid west or east coast, it's certianly more of a mid west city than an east coast city.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-19-2006, 03:20 PM
The Bengals Suck

VICKtorious
10-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Where is Pittsburgh

A couple possible answers:
1. Who cares?
2. A place I never want to go?
3. Follow the smell and you will find it...

tony hipchest
10-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Where is DICKtorious's momma?

1. Who cares?

good one! :chuckle:

Stillers#1
10-19-2006, 05:19 PM
I have a friend who just moved to atlanta, she was stationed up here in spokane with me for 4 years, and she absolutley hates atlanta. She calls it the sweaty stinky buttcrack of america.

tony hipchest
10-19-2006, 05:31 PM
I have a friend who just moved to atlanta, she was stationed up here in spokane with me for 4 years, and she absolutley hates atlanta. She calls it the sweaty stinky buttcrack of america.

im thinking our newfound friend lives nowhere near atlanta. he just likes them cause they have mike vick... the incorrectly hyped nfl version of "michael jordon".

Btrice
10-19-2006, 05:47 PM
1. Who cares?

Thanks jackass. I actually like Atlanta, I'd never say anything bad about your city. I have spent quite a bit of time there in fact am craving both a Varsity dog and Vortex burger right now.

tony hipchest
10-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks jackass. I actually like Atlanta, I'd never say anything bad about your city. I have spent quite a bit of time there in fact am craving both a Varsity dog and Vortex burger right now.

hasnt the "vortex burger" been renamed the "valtrex burger"?:sofunny:

Stillers#1
10-19-2006, 09:23 PM
hasnt the "vortex burger" been renamed the "valtrex burger"?

only during city-wide outbreaks....

I.C. Lights
10-25-2006, 12:04 AM
I lived in Indiana for a while. That was the midwest. Pittsburgh is definitely not.
I lived in Florida. That state has SERIOUS problems, but the weather's pretty nice.
I lived in DC too. The fans are obnoxious, but it's a great city. I'd rank Pittsburgh up there with DC - below New York, San Fran & Chicago but above cities like Philly and Boston. Pittsburgh is and always has been a sentimental favorite of mine too. I don't care when people out here refuse to believe how fun and breathtaking the city is - it's the best kept secret in the midwe--- midatlantic.