PDA

View Full Version : Holmes in, Wilson out

BringthePressure20
10-16-2006, 02:17 PM
As you can see Holmes came out and ignited the team with his big gain and had 180 all purpose yards. He needs to move up on the depth chart by now. I still think Wilson gets no separation and every time he makes a catch(if he does) he is always by defenders. I don't like Wilson at all and hes a 4th receiver at best. Holmes shows me potential of bein a great playmaker and should be given more chances, and have plays designed around him.

Eztarget
10-16-2006, 02:23 PM
He's still a rookie, so I say keep Wilson starting for this year. But there's no reason Holmes can't be used more to keep defenses honest.

I still would like to see the Steelers go after Jerry Porter (Randy Moss's $$$ is way too high).

Atlanta Dan
10-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Porter is a team cancer - if we signed Porter who do we then put on the inactive roster (Wilson/Nate/Reid)?

Santonio is shalky on the kick returns and I would like to see Reid get another shot when he gets healthy.

Eztarget
10-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Porter is a team cancer - if we signed Porter who do we then put on the inactive roster (Wilson/Nate/Reid)?

Santonio is shalky on the kick returns and I would like to see Reid get another shot when he gets healthy.

I'm not so sure Porter is anymore of a team mouthpiece then our current Porter. Jerry Porter got screwed by Al Davis and that team and he's trapped in the middle of it. He asked for a trade and the Raider's won't give him one. I'd be pissed too if I was losing playing years in my prime.

LarryNJ
10-16-2006, 02:45 PM
I agree i'd like to see Holmes start. Not many rookie recievers make an impact but he's the better option over Wilson.

IMO I don't think there's a chance in hell we try to get Porter or Moss. Ward, Holmes & Ried is where the Steelers plans are.

Mosca
10-16-2006, 02:54 PM
We don't need different guys. When our guys play to their potential we win by 40 points. We need our guys to play to their potential every game.

Tom

Atlanta Dan
10-16-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm not so sure Porter is anymore of a team mouthpiece then our current Porter. Jerry Porter got screwed by Al Davis and that team and he's trapped in the middle of it. He asked for a trade and the Raider's won't give him one. I'd be pissed too if I was losing playing years in my prime.

I cannot imagione the Steelers' Porter would be laughing if Ben got sacked and then claim he was not laughing at the sack because he was not watching the game.

That was Oakland Porter's explanation when the cameras caught him laughing when Aaron Brooks got sacked during the Chargers game.

This guy may be moving, but not to the Steelers.

BigDuke6
10-16-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm with Mosca on this one. Steeler Nation often falls in love with our guys and we stick by them no matter what. Even when it isnt warranted by their individual play. But in this case, we're right. Our reciever crew is as good as it gets (especially when you put Heath in the mix). No need for changes there. We have a plan, lets stick to it.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Nah, I've got to agree with him. I used to write about sports for a smallish to mid-sized newspaper in the Bay Area, and I got to cover about a week and a half of Raiders training camp last year. And Porter is indeed a loudmouth jerk. And he comes off as one of those guys who thinks he's so good he'll win just by showing up.

I distinctly remember one interview he was giving to a crowd of about 10 or 15 reporters, and they asked him about the preseason game coming up that weekend against the 49ers. He said, "Who even cares? It's just the sorry-ass Niners!" (the Raiders lost that game).

And anyway, Holmes is starting to look GOOD. And Washington's been incredible for a guy that started out, what, sixth or seventh on the depth chart? Both of them are looking like they could take over for Wilson soon. And if we keep them both, what do we even need to go sign another receiver for?

Hey Dude. Welcome to the high-profile world known as Steelers Fever Forum. Buckle that chin strap.

I take your word for it because I believe too that 'what you see is what you get' with Porter.

Thanks to a 6.7 earthquake and subsequent rolling power outages :banging: I saw the last four minutes of the game so I'll have to wait for NFL Network replay. What I did see from Holmes last week and the clips this week lead me to believe he is looking good - rather than a stumbling toddler. Yes. Expectations are high.

Nate had a horrible game against Cincy. It's not too much to ask to catch the ones that hit your hands in stride. Almost like Holmes he is a young young NFL player. All I want from Washington is consistency.

Our receivers don't need to play the position like Steve Smith to win games. History showed that. Just help the offense move the sticks and the rest will fall into place.

:banging: Time for an AC power generator.

Dook
10-16-2006, 06:17 PM
I agree. Cedrick Wilson has always had low production numbers. Rumor has it that he is soft. The Steelers pulled him out last week against San Diego and then he was gone again after the first quarter against the Chiefs.

I think Holmes has moved up the depth chart and it's a good thing.

Preacher
10-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Wilson was a third string reciever in SF for a reason. He moved up as other players moved on. Now, there is nothing wrong with that, but I think he is going to be challenged continually this year to keep his position... and by next year he will lose it.

We need SPEED at the wideout position. Heck, I would be for us lining Willie Parker at the wideout at times. We need that speed because when you can draw the CB's and Safeties 10 to 20 yards downfield, you open up 7-15 yard runs.

So I say... put Holmes in there as SOON as possilbe. Get Reid ready and in ASAP as well (third position)... or even Washington. Hines retains the top position because he neutralizes his CB with his blocking which will allow Willie Parker to turn the corner on outside routes to him.

the result of this type of thinking?

Imagine Lining up Holmes and Parker on the outside, running fly routes... Nate running a 20 yard flag to the sideline... and Hines in the slot running an up and in (so he can block downfield). Then.... NO.. you don't pass, you hand off on a draw to 4x4 (#44 Davenport). He only has AT THE MOST 7 in the box to move past. BUt with us going 4 wide.. there will probably only be 5 in the box. That means Davenport only has 1 man to beat.

Next play.. do the same.

Next play.. as the safety cheats up to the line.... Holmes catches a 60 yarder for 7.

People.. the point is.. SPEED KILLS. Especially when used right and in conjunction with the running game.

Stlrs4Life
10-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Willie is too short to be a receiver.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-16-2006, 07:12 PM
This is why i do not inclue wilson in my stats below..........I am only including the players that will still be there in the end..........By the end of the year the recievers will be as follows...........1. Ward 2. Holmes 3. Washington 4. Reid..

WV-SteelerFan
10-16-2006, 07:40 PM

:eyecrazy: I HOPE you don't really mean that!
I haven't been here long enough to know when people
are joking (without them saying it)...

The_Professor
10-16-2006, 07:57 PM
I'd love to see the steelers get randy moss man what an offense we'd have at that point... no way we should go after jerry porter he's not only a cry baby but not a star, granted moss is selfish but a legit great receiver... anyways i'm encouraged by this performance against KC oline finally played well, i think washington and holmes are gonna be good in a year or so (not that they're not now, but they have to develop), right now they're about a year away

Preacher
10-16-2006, 08:41 PM

It doesn't matter how tall you are if you are 7 yards downfield from the closest DB, and that is my point. You have to bring a safety to cover up top, and a cb to cover underneath on a fly route... or 20/30 yard up and outs. That is why i think it would be effective as a four-wide set.

Then again.. Who knows? That is why I am sitting on a couch typing on a computer and they are on the field!

stlrtruck
10-17-2006, 07:22 AM
The Steelers have never welcomed trouble makers in the locker room. Past RBs run in with the law and the quick departure into the market proves that. Why would we even take a venture into that arena.
With our WR, there's nothing that can be fixed by bringing in an outsider. But plenty can be broken if you do that. Would this even be a discussion if we had lost 3 games over an 8
game stretch?

I'd rather keep the ones we have, let them get better as a unit and prove that Porter or Moss on this team would be a mute point!

Preacher
10-17-2006, 09:03 PM
The Steelers have never welcomed trouble makers in the locker room. Past RBs run in with the law and the quick departure into the market proves that. Why would we even take a venture into that arena.
With our WR, there's nothing that can be fixed by bringing in an outsider. But plenty can be broken if you do that. Would this even be a discussion if we had lost 3 games over an 8
game stretch?

I'd rather keep the ones we have, let them get better as a unit and prove that Porter or Moss on this team would be a mute point!

In the end, I actually agree with you. However, it sure is fun to speculate and think about possiblities.