PDA

View Full Version : VICK

ARKIESTEEL
10-17-2006, 11:15 AM
What is the thought on how we keep him in the pocket and make him pass without him burning us deep????

When he gets flushed out of the pocket is when he makes big plays can we contain him???

Dook
10-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Our normal defense is three big guys up front, a LB on the right side, usually Porter, and another CB or S (Polo) trying to go up the middle or around the left side.

I don't see us changing this any other than maybe having the LB on the right responsible for containing his side, which means no speed rush from him.

Really it comes down to the LB's to keep Vick from breaking free.

They could try to not blitz him at all although I can't remember the last time our defense has not blitzed at least half the time.

I'm sure he will get away a few times.

R2sojr
10-17-2006, 12:57 PM
pressure all day and collapse the pocket around him....we shouldnt change a thing...we also have the spped to catch him if he can get away...once that pocket collapses he aint goin nowhere....he cant bounce outside because of our backers and he sure aint runnin threw case hampton....well be fine trust me...and they better not try that weak ass option cuz it will go nowhere.:tt02: :helmet:

stlrtruck
10-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Keep the middle of the pocket filled and when the outside rushers close in on him, then let that person rush the middle and Vick should have no place to go.

The big thing is not to be overly aggressive and also not to sit back on any leads because as we've seen in the past, Vick can play when given the time (thus the reason we tied the last time we played them).

Blitzburgh
10-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Vick will be contained .... I'm more interested in watching Troy on Crumpler

Livinginthe past
10-17-2006, 01:58 PM
I would suggest rushing the minimum - you dont need pressure to make Vick force the ball where it shouldnt go.

The Steelers have a great match up in this game, not only do they have one of the elite run stopping D's to counteract the Atlanta strength - the also have a running attack capable of putting yards on Atlanta.

Broken plays are Vicks lifeblood - if the Steelers hold their shape they will be in a better position stop the run and also stop Vick breaking a big one.

Early prediction - Steelers 24 Atlanta 9 .

NM

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Let Troy worry about Vick

Atlanta Dan
10-17-2006, 02:14 PM
I agree not getting overly aggressive on the rush is the way to go. Vick cannot throw to a spot; he makes his passing yardage when everyone chases after him. However, with his still incredible speed (once that goes his game goes) Vick will get in some nice gains, just as Kordell would do. The more I see Vick the more he reminds me of a more talented version of Kordell who still has Kordell's critical flaws.

Howver, do not be deceived by the Giants second half running at will on the Falcons. Kearney and Coleman both got hurt and Abraham was pulled after hitting his 20 play limit coming back from a pulled groin - so the Falcons best DL were out of action in the second half. The Falcons have a decent run defense.

Blitzburgh
10-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Howver, do not be deceived by the Giants second half running at will on the Falcons. Kearney and Coleman both got hurt and Abraham was pulled after hitting his 20 play limit coming back from a pulled groin - so the Falcons best DL were out of action in the second half. The Falcons have a decent run defense.

When healthy .... Right now, they're not.

I think you're going to see a nice pass/run mix. I expect BR to come out throwing then the WP show will begin. Heath has a nice game next week.

lilyoder6
10-17-2006, 07:30 PM
i would say blitz both outside LB with the 3 downlinemen and maybe if u want to have farrior or foote play zone.

Ambridge
10-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Supposedly Atlanta's receivers have been dropping a lot of passes lately and they don't have Brian Finneran who's out for the season.

The tip off on Vick is that he consistanly stares down on his receivers and will almost always throw in the first direction he looks.

I'd be more concerned if Matt Schaub somehow got into the game.

NV STEELERS 723
10-17-2006, 08:13 PM
I have never like Vick... he reminds me of a "glorified" Kordell Stewart...he's a RB playing QB.....we're going to stuff him..Troy will probably be assigned to him when he abandons the pocket, and WHAM !!! Troy drops him!!!

Atlanta Dan
10-17-2006, 08:16 PM
I'd be more concerned if Matt Schaub somehow got into the game.

Whenever a team is struggling the back-up QB is the fans' favorite player - Atlanta is no different although around here if you start hatin' on Vick a certain segment of the fan base will throw the race card at you.

The Atlanta receivers are no gems, but their QB does not make life any easier for them. But the Falcons owner has a man crush on Vick and with the $$$ sunk into him Schaub (and maybe Mora) will not be in Atlanta in 2007. I agree Schaub has some talent, but Schaub will not play unless Vick get hurt.

touchdownward
10-17-2006, 08:39 PM
I believe we'll rush Vick hard all game.

I see him needing one of those ammonia capsules that Mora used to pass out to his players (and himself), before the end of this game.

Yes, I too believe Mr. Home Depot is in manlove with Vick. :smile:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-17-2006, 09:00 PM
The way you stop Vick is use alot of DE contain and play gap sound football. One thing to remember when the Steelers and Falcons last played to a tie in 2002 at Heinz Field. The Steelers had the likes of Lee Flowers and Brent Alexander at safety. The Steelers have Troy Polamalu now. So we have a safety who can keep up with Vick and prevent him from breaking those long runs. I remember in that tie in 2002. The Steelers blew a double digit lead and let Vick convert many third and longs in the 2nd half of that game. I'm sure that won't happen this time around.

Preacher
10-17-2006, 10:17 PM
The last time we played them.. we used a tiered or delayed blitz on them. the D sent 3 or 4 people in... counted to 2 or 3.. then sent in one or two more people. This allowed the second tier to react to Vick as they blitzed.

I think we can do it again.. especially with Polamalu.

19ward86
10-18-2006, 08:33 AM
we have a fast D, he might get 60-70 rushing unless we contain him and force him and the falcons to pass 25-30 times.