PDA

View Full Version : Jim Mora's conference call

tony hipchest
10-18-2006, 02:06 PM
i always like to see the mindset of opposing coaches before the game and mora always gives a good interview. he says some good things about the steelers.

HEAD COACH JIM MORA

Have teams been putting a spy on Michael (Vick)? Do you expect the Steelers to do so?

No, they really haven't. Sometimes, but not consistently. I think the Steelers will probably just play their game. They are pretty damn good.

What is the best thing about them?

There are a lot of good things. I am a huge fan of Troy (Polamalu). He might be the best thing about them. I don't know. I don't want to discount Joey Porter or any of those other guys. That (Polamalu) guy is a special, special, special, special player though.

Polamalu didn't look like he was doing as much of that running around, backing away from the line of scrimmage and circling around kind of stuff against Kansas City.

Well, he did against Kansas City. He is always a presence to blitz. Those plays he made on short yardage plays, the second and third down ones where he hit the gaps, you talk about having great instincts and anticipation, he is so fun to watch. If you like defensive football, you love watching that guy play. He is inspiring. He really is, even for an opposing coach who has to go against him. My favorite player in the history of football is Ronnie Lott. He is the only player up on my wall that I have a picture of. I was watching film the last two days and kept thinking about Ronnie as I watched Troy.

How many defenses players do you have to game plan for? You said Polamalu.

Him and Joey. Junior Seau was a guy that you had to game plan for. You always had to know where he was. In our division, a guy like Thomas Davis, who hasn't really jumped on the scene yet. He's the linebacker for Carolina. You have to know where he is. Quite a few teams have a guy. The Giants, you needed to know where (Osi Umenyiora) is. This guy, Troy, he's different. I know you guys get to see him a lot, but for someone who doesn't get to see him a lot and turns on the film, he is something. I have a great regard for defensive players in general. He's at the top of my list right now.

The o-line knew where he was because they went right at him.

Yeah, but they can't get him. He's too quick and explosive. Great balance, maybe one of his best attributes is his balance. The play he made on the screen, he gets blocked by the guard and hops on his foot and makes a tackle. I can't remember which game it was, I've watched so many games. I haven't seen anyone like him in the league in a long, long time.

Are there any similarities between Willie Parker and Tiki Barber?

They both have speed. They're both very underrated. I know that sounds crazy, especially when you talk about Tiki. Tiki is a great back and he runs hard. He can hit the hole. He can get into the open field. He can make you miss and run over you. That's how Parker is. I watched the Kansas City game and some of those runs, he pounds those guys. He keeps his legs turning. He gets to the edge and he has the speed. He's a very, very impressive back.

http://news.steelers.com/article/70263/ (for the rest)

Btrice
10-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Who was giving that interview? They broke the #1 rule of giving an unbiased interview: (which happens to be the exact opposite of what you do as a lawyer interviewing the guy on the stand) Do not interject your opinion, your view, or the expected answer to the question into the question.

Case 'n point:
"Polamalu didn't look like he was doing as much of that running around, backing away from the line of scrimmage and circling around kind of stuff against Kansas City."
"The o-line knew where he was because they went right at him."

Sometimes I wonder what type of education some of these sports columnist-types have recieved. Poor would be a seemingly appropriate adjective.

HometownGal
10-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Great read, Tony - thanks! :smile:

It should make all of us feel mighty proud as Steelers fans hearing an opponent's HC giving the Steelers the props and respect that they have earned and well deserve. :thumbsup:

Preacher
10-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Who was giving that interview? They broke the #1 rule of giving an unbiased interview: (which happens to be the exact opposite of what you do as a lawyer interviewing the guy on the stand) Do not interject your opinion, your view, or the expected answer to the question into the question.

Case 'n point:
"Polamalu didn't look like he was doing as much of that running around, backing away from the line of scrimmage and circling around kind of stuff against Kansas City."

Sometimes I wonder what type of education some of these sports columnist-types have recieved. Poor would be a seemingly appropriate adjective.

Sports columnists???

Heck.. have you watched the evening news? Journalism in general has become a self-absorbed enigma of nihilism.

Btrice
10-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Sports columnists???

Heck.. have you watched the evening news? Journalism in general has become a self-absorbed enigma of nihilism.

LOL Good point, and even better adjectives :thumbsup:

Da Steeler Soprano
10-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Beware of the hair!

19ward86
10-18-2006, 05:20 PM
too bad tiki is retiring....what mora said was very classy, yet he did undermind a lot of our other defensive players like hagans and hampton, but very classy anyways.

tony hipchest
10-18-2006, 05:28 PM

Case 'n point:

Sometimes I wonder what type of education some of these sports columnist-types have recieved. Poor would be a seemingly appropriate adjective.it was a conference call, not a sitdown interview. it was conducted by the same pittsburgh area sportswriters who interview cowher on wednesdays and after games.

Btrice
10-18-2006, 05:55 PM
it was a conference call, not a sitdown interview. it was conducted by the same pittsburgh area sportswriters who interview cowher on wednesdays and after games.

Pittsburgh area sportswriters? That is kind of surprising.

And it doesn't matter if its a sit down interview, a conference call, or a video feed from the space station, my point is still valid though a little narrow as Preacher pointed out.

Preacher
10-19-2006, 02:05 AM

And it doesn't matter if its a sit down interview, a conference call, or a video feed from the space station, my point is still valid though a little narrow as Preacher pointed out.

LOL.... Not quite sure I would have said "narrow!" :scratchchin:

Btrice
10-19-2006, 11:27 AM
LOL.... Not quite sure I would have said "narrow!" :scratchchin:

Ok "a little too specific" then :flap: I was focusing on sportwriters and you correctly said its all journalism, then used one of my favorite words in calling them nihilists.

tony hipchest
10-19-2006, 12:07 PM

i think its an nfl mandate that for all games, the coach is required to give a conference call to the oppenents hometown press. that way the local press can write a good story and hype up the game.

steelers.com always posts the coaches conference call mid week. unfortunately they dont post the conference call that cowher gives to the falcons press.

heres some good unbiassed questions of herm edwards before the chiefs game:

HEAD COACH HERM EDWARDS

What's wrong with the Steelers?

What's wrong with them? I don't know if anything is wrong with them. They just haven't won as many games as people anticipated to this point. When I look at tape, they played in games they could have won. Every coach says that, but looking at the tape they played in games that they could have won. It's a play here and a play there and you don't win. Everyone is playing them a little different since they wont he Super Bowl. Everybody is keyed up to play them. That's a lot of energy. Every week teams are playing the Super Bowl champions and that's tough.

The last couple years the Kansas City defense wasn't that good?

Yeah, it wasn't that good. You won't hurt my feelings.

:sofunny: