PDA

View Full Version : Santonio Holmes, the next Randle El?

polamalufan43
10-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Well I believe everyone has seen the last steeler game, have we not. Most of the great plays of the game were the punt returns and that issue with Larry Johnson and Troy Polamalu's hair.
But, we can't forget Santonio Holmes can we? He has definately shown potenial in the past games, and some are even calling him the next Antwaan Randle El. But is it too early to be judging him?
Either way, he made it on the starting roster as a rookie and has some serious skill.
What does everyone else think?

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

klick81
10-18-2006, 05:26 PM
I think he needs more time to grow before we start comparing him to Randle El.

Stillers43
10-18-2006, 06:56 PM
He definitely showed promise, but the jury is still going to be in deliberation for awhile.

SteelCityMan786
10-18-2006, 06:58 PM
I think he needs more time to grow before we start comparing him to Randle El.

Definantly to hear him compared to Randle El. A little early in the season.

polamalufan43
10-18-2006, 07:07 PM
I have to agree. He is one of my favorite players, but I think we have to wait at least untill around his 3rd season before we start the comparing game.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

steelcurtain09
10-18-2006, 07:51 PM
i wouldnt start yet but Holmes has the potential.
i agree polamalufan43 wait till his 3rd season

BBC
10-18-2006, 07:57 PM
No, he won't be the next Randle El.

He'll be a pure wide receiver, not just a deep threat that can throw the ball.

touchdownward
10-18-2006, 07:59 PM
Never seen Holmes pass the ball, so I'd have to give that advantage to Randle El.

I do believe Holmes will catch more TD passes than El did last season. :wink02:

steelcurtain09
10-18-2006, 08:25 PM
i hope hell be comparable in punt returns and better in receiving yardage.
forgot all bout the other side of Randle El

24seven
10-18-2006, 09:38 PM
wow.. Randle El?? after this weekend I was almost comparing him to Ricardo Coclough.. 2 muffed punts ... hmmm .. Not quite Randle.. But he's deffinitely improving and Bens lookin for him now so that i'm much impressed with.. at least he runs forward and doesn't spin twice before taking off when he DOES catch the punts.. I deffinitely see a bigger role coming that's for sure.. We need to somehow get Miller involved though.... that's another thread I suppose..

Hines0wnz
10-18-2006, 09:54 PM

Accurate statement. :wink02:

BBC
10-18-2006, 10:20 PM
wow.. Randle El?? after this weekend I was almost comparing him to Ricardo Coclough.. 2 muffed punts ... hmmm .. Not quite Randle.. But he's deffinitely improving and Bens lookin for him now so that i'm much impressed with.. at least he runs forward and doesn't spin twice before taking off when he DOES catch the punts.. I deffinitely see a bigger role coming that's for sure.. We need to somehow get Miller involved though.... that's another thread I suppose..

Erm...

Later-El wasn't exactly known for his low fumble count...

Dylan
10-18-2006, 10:29 PM
I would say its to early to tell. He had a great game dont get me wrong, but it the Chiefs really didn't look like they had any life. Time will tell after we play the ravens. But Holmes well definately contribute for us though this year...

SteelersWoman
10-19-2006, 04:20 AM
Santonio just needs to hold onto that ball a bit more consistently for me. When he's good, he's really good. When he's bad...well...you know ;)

I want the day to come when I don't hold my breath when I know the ball's headed his way. I'm sure it will though--I have faith! :P

HometownGal
10-19-2006, 08:17 AM
I cut Santo a little slack because he is, after all, a rookie. From listening to his interviews here in the Burgh, it is obvious that this kid is eager and determined to do what is expected of him and become a great asset to the team. He needs to work out the kinks just like every other rookie - remember Troy's first season?

steelersfanman92
10-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Right now it looks like Santonio is a bust. Nate Washington has had more impact so far than him. He is nothing compared to Randle El. He had a few punt returns, but that doesn't make up for him fumbling others.

sumo
10-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Right now it looks like Santonio is a bust. Nate Washington has had more impact so far than him. He is nothing compared to Randle El. He had a few punt returns, but that doesn't make up for him fumbling others.

Washington's a better dancer too

HometownGal
10-19-2006, 02:35 PM

No disrespect intended here, steelersfanman92, but on what are you basing such a strong statement?

Ability as a wideout and/or KR/PR man?

=====In 4 seasons with the Steelers, El scored 7 receiving TDs and 5 TDs on K/PRs. During those 4 years, El fumbled 18 times and lost 9 of those fumbles. He had a KR average of 22.3 and a PR average of 9.2.

In 6 games with the Skins, El has a total of 125 in receiving yards for an average of 8.3 YPR and 1 TD. He presently has 111 total PR yards for an average of 6.5 and zero TDs. He has not yet been utilized by the Skins on KRs.

=====In 6 games with the Steelers, Holmes has amassed 131 receiving yards and at this point in the season, zero TDs. He has a 23.6 average on KRs and a 9.0 average on PRs. He has ZERO fumbles lost.

If you want to compare El and Santonio, there it is in black and white. Sure, El was very valuable in the trick play schemes, but who's to say that Santonio won't be involved in some razzle dazzle plays in the future? I believe it is very unfair to compare a 5 year veteran receiver to a rookie who is only going into his 7th career game. Just my two cents. :smile:

19ward86
10-19-2006, 03:00 PM
get this through your skulls, randle el wasnt a good reciever, he was fast and he could throw the ball, that is why he started for us. he is learning every year how to catch better and it is working but his strong points dont involve his hands. santonio holmes is just as fast and has better hands, he is already better than him he just doesnt have the package that randle el brought and that was to throw the ball very nicely.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-19-2006, 04:09 PM
I think Holmes is going to be a threat at WR........

Dynasty
10-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Holmes is a threat at WR.

MasterOfPuppets
10-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Never seen Holmes pass the ball, so I'd have to give that advantage to Randle El.

I do believe Holmes will catch more TD passes than El did last season. :wink02:

so then your banking on 2?:jawdrop: wow that would be a hell uv a feat. :wink02:

polamalufan43
10-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Hey it could happen. I wouldn't call Santonio I first round bust though, the point is he's willing to learn. Don't forget that Hines Ward has been helping him too. Those guys worked out together alot in the off season and have been playing the student and teacher roles. I think Santonio will learn valuable lessons from Hines.
As for Hines' passing on trick plays? Well, I think it could happen, but I've heard that Heath Miller has a pretty good arm too.
Anyway, back to Santonio, he's still young, Meaning he can pick up on things fast, and punt returning takes time to master. I think he will do better in the punt return area in the future.

~Polamalufan43

LarryNJ
10-19-2006, 10:38 PM
get this through your skulls, randle el wasnt a good reciever, he was fast and he could throw the ball, that is why he started for us. he is learning every year how to catch better and it is working but his strong points dont involve his hands. santonio holmes is just as fast and has better hands, he is already better than him he just doesnt have the package that randle el brought and that was to throw the ball very nicely.

I was thinking the same thing when I read the title to this thread. Randle el got lucky and hit the Daniel Snyder jackpot. I'm happy he got the $$$ he's a great guy and was an important part of the Steelers team but he's a #3 reciever. I hope that Santonio has his sites set much higher than that.

BringthePressure20
10-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Santonio has great hands and great separation, better then randle el ever did and ever will thats the bottom line. It seems to me about every GOOD pass thrown to him he catches it, thus THROW HIM THE BALL MORE lol

Preacher
10-20-2006, 02:08 AM

Yep.

You are right.

Jacknut
10-20-2006, 07:32 AM
He's more likely to be the next Hines Ward... or dare I say it (dare! dare!) the next Louis Lipps. :)