PDA

View Full Version : Is J. Porter Gone?

Dynasty
10-18-2006, 09:42 PM
It seems to me like everyone here thinks he will be gone as soon as his contract is up. I know he is at the stage in his career where he would not be worth signing long term, but I think he has enough loyalty to take a bit of a pay cut to stay with the Black ad Gold.

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Step away from the pipe !! IMHO Porter will go for the money !!

LambertLunatic
10-18-2006, 10:19 PM
but I think he has enough loyalty to take a bit of a pay cut to stay with the Black ad Gold

If he was considering holding out at training camp (while under contract) I doubt that he has enough loyalty to take a pay cut to stay in Pgh. Some team is going to offer him a huge contract. That team won't be the Steelers. Porter is a good player, but he's definately past his prime. The Steelers won't give a huge contract to a player that is past his prime....especially with Harrison ready to take over.

ajs8207
10-18-2006, 11:39 PM
I honestly think Harrison is better right now. And did you see our defense last week without him? Do we really need him?

SteelersWoman
10-19-2006, 03:14 AM
As much as I hate to say it, Joey doesn't feel enough loyalty--if he's offered more money next season, he'll snatch it in a second. I heard him in an interview pre-season, and he only stayed this year cause Cowher talked him into it.

We have some guys on the team who've already turned down more money elsewhere, we've had some guys who've said it wouldn't matter if they were offered more money, they'd stay because they are a "Steeler" through and through.

Unfortunately, Joey's not one of those guys--apparently the money means more. Although I'm not sure just how many million you have to make to have a good life for yourself and your family...

Infamix
10-19-2006, 06:42 AM
Peez will go for the cheese no doubt about it

HometownGal
10-19-2006, 07:09 AM
I adore Peezy, but money talks and.......you know the rest. With his obvious heir apparent waiting in the wings, I don't think loyalty will even play a part in this situation. The Steelers simply aren't going to pay Joey what he wants and with a lot of teams desperate for defensive help, Peezy will become a hot commodity. I see him going for the gusto.

19ward86
10-19-2006, 07:51 AM
I honestly think Harrison is better right now. And did you see our defense last week without him? Do we really need him?

r u kidding me? he is probably our best defensive player considering he and troy are the best. the last 2-3 years he has had 10+ sacks. he might only get 50-65 tackles a season but he is always blitzing, it is hard to find skill like his. i think harrison should sit another 2 seasons to evolve kind of like haggans did behind gildon.

stlrtruck
10-19-2006, 07:53 AM
It amazes me that players today are more worried about an extra 3 million over the opportunity to win more Super Bowls. I believe the Steelers definitely have the talent to repeat, three-peat, and if the nucleus can be held together, win a heck of a lot more!

However, as with Randle-El and a few others, and it looks like Peezy will be one of them, the green backs will always speak louder than championships!!

Infamix
10-19-2006, 08:21 AM
To me, Joey Porter is more a product of a defensive scheme that Dick Lebeau has innovated. I think it's kind of like the Denver offensive line - you plug any runningback behind there and he WILL get yards. Joey Porter does bring leadership to the table, but for the most part, I have never seen him get a sack with his athletisism, but usually a missed assignment because of the defensive scheme.

steelersfanman92
10-19-2006, 09:21 AM
I think Joey will resign even if it is for less money. He is a steeler icon.

BigDuke6
10-19-2006, 09:34 AM
LOVE the Peez !!! He'll go for the bucks elsewhere. Peezy's loyalty is to Cowher more than the Steelers org. Once Cowher announces his real intentions (at end of this season) then Peezy will see the writing on the wall and sign for the big ma-moo.
The Steelers have lost great linebackers before, Chad Brown, Earl Holmes, Kevin Greene, Levon Kirckland, who wanted too much do-ray-me and who the Steelers felt were now on the backside of their careers. Hasnt seemed to hurt us too much.
Dont get me wrong though, LOVE the Peez, LOVE the Peez !!!

klick81
10-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Well that sucks...he's a great leader IMO.

sumo
10-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Pittsburgh will not re-sign Porter ...he will do the Chad Brown thing -- huge contract somewhere else on a mediocre team for the last 3-4 years of his career

tony hipchest
10-19-2006, 11:11 AM
oakland is very close to his hometown of bakersfield. i bet al davis would love him as a raider.

Da Steeler Soprano
10-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Not only is Joey one of the best linebackers in the league right now he is also our leader and the voice of the black and gold. He is way to valuable to lose now since the Bus retired. Everyone keeps waiting for Ben, Ward, or Troy to step up and be a leader but I never see it happening on a leval where Bettis or Joey is now. Give Joey the big bucks and keep him in the black and gold for life. Who Ride??!!!

augustashark
10-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Pittsburgh will not re-sign Porter ...he will do the Chad Brown thing -- huge contract somewhere else on a mediocre team for the last 3-4 years of his career

Your facts are not all correct. Brown left for $$ I agree, but more then that he left because he was not going to play the position he wanted to. When Lloyd was hurt they moved Brown to outside where he wanted to play. He had a great year and did not want to go back to the inside. So it was $$, but I think being able to play the outside was more important to him.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-19-2006, 05:05 PM
It all depends on his season and what he is offered by the other teams.

One team that can shell out the dough and needs defensive help is Arizona.

Cape Cod Steel Head
10-19-2006, 05:38 PM
He will take the money and run!

SteelersHoss
10-19-2006, 08:51 PM
I have been a big fan of Harrison for the past few years. He is ready. That is the great thing about the Steelers. One leaves, and we always have some one ready to replace them. Clark for Hope, Holmes, and Washington for Randel el. Their losses are always felt in a little way, but we are good enough to not let it affect us.

Mosca
10-20-2006, 08:24 AM
How many times have we lost one of the best linebackers in the league and still had a great defense the next year? So often that it's not a big deal, I'd say. Porter's great. Let him cash in, he's earned it; we'll be just fine whether he's signed or not.

It's the free agent era. Everyone has to be strong enough to say, "We've had a great run, but it's time to move on. Thanks man, see you on the field."

Tom

stlrtruck
10-20-2006, 08:51 AM
It may be the free agent era but that doesn't mean the players have to buy into it. I mea honestly, what's the difference if you make 1.5 million or 2 million more, or even 5 million more than what you are being offered from your current team. Get paid, don't rob the bank, and make every attempt to win the Super Bowl more than once.
I mean isn't that the ultimate goal? Or has the almight green back changed the vision?

Maybe we should start a Joey Don't Take the Bank thread - along with a Mr. Rooney please give Peezy the Cheezy thread!

emmysDAD
10-20-2006, 10:36 AM
I would like to see him stay....I mean Haggins is a bit older and his contract is up in a couple years, I'd hate see us lose two starters on the outside within 2 years. I mean I like Harrison alot too, but I really like porter.

Mosca
10-20-2006, 12:25 PM
It may be the free agent era but that doesn't mean the players have to buy into it. I mea honestly, what's the difference if you make 1.5 million or 2 million more, or even 5 million more than what you are being offered from your current team.

1) NFL contracts are not guaranteed,

2) An amount of income that seems adequate today may be insignifigant 35 or 40 years from now when a player is infirm due to sacrifices he made in his 20s. Don't underestimate what you might need at age 65 and don't underestimate the power of compounding interest; the difference between $7M and $10M today is a heck of a lot more 35 years from now.

Sandy Koufax's unbelievable $100k contract in 1966 is laughable today; that's available for just about anyone (depending on education and initiative), and the MINIMUM baseball salary today is $327k. The original lottery prize of $1M at $50k for 20 years seemed like "set for life" in the '70s, but at $50k/year today most peoples' spouses are also working to keep up with the bills.

It's easy to tell the other guy how HE needs to be altruistic when it benefits YOU; but if it was ME that was putting my butt out there on the field every Sunday, plus all that work in practice and in the weight room and studying film, and I knew that I was a premium player, I'd go for the gold.

Tom

justinstrzelczyk
10-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Joey will leave, and I'm glad to see him go. I'm ready for Silverback to take over. He's going into his prime, Porter is out of his prime. We've seen this over and over again with Steeler linebackers. They know how to get rid of them at just the right time.

stlrtruck
10-20-2006, 02:11 PM
1) NFL contracts are not guaranteed,

2) An amount of income that seems adequate today may be insignifigant 35 or 40 years from now when a player is infirm due to sacrifices he made in his 20s. Don't underestimate what you might need at age 65 and don't underestimate the power of compounding interest; the difference between $7M and $10M today is a heck of a lot more 35 years from now.

Sandy Koufax's unbelievable $100k contract in 1966 is laughable today; that's available for just about anyone (depending on education and initiative), and the MINIMUM baseball salary today is $327k. The original lottery prize of $1M at $50k for 20 years seemed like "set for life" in the '70s, but at $50k/year today most peoples' spouses are also working to keep up with the bills.

It's easy to tell the other guy how HE needs to be altruistic when it benefits YOU; but if it was ME that was putting my butt out there on the field every Sunday, plus all that work in practice and in the weight room and studying film, and I knew that I was a premium player, I'd go for the gold.

Tom

I honestly believe that both sides need to get their respective heads out of their respective arses and define a better free agency system. One that rewards the players as well as the owners and more importantly the fans!

Of course the day that happens will probably be the beginning of the apocalypse!

mopit55
10-20-2006, 02:50 PM
porter is the most physically linebacker in nfl.him for harrison? no. big contract on 3 or 4 years will be the just reward. harrison has the same age also a big rookie linebacker or a big contract.the money change data but joey is the real captain of our blitz,he's a playmaker.

steelfan 92
10-20-2006, 03:12 PM
I have never seen him get a sack with his athletisism, but usually a missed assignment because of the defensive scheme.

Are u f------g crazy, joey beats people of the line with his speed. i love joey, but think he goes cause of the money, let me ask you all you a question. if some one overs you 30 million for the next 4 years and you have to move from where you came up would you do it? if you guys say no, your lying. you could set ur family up for the rest of there lives, its something you have to do, and if peezy did i would not blame him for it. in the nfl its a business, get yours when you can.

mopit55
10-20-2006, 03:31 PM
to imagine porter in an another team it's break my heart.steelers must push the money

sumo
10-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Are u f------g crazy, joey beats people of the line with his speed. i love joey, but think he goes cause of the money, let me ask you all you a question. if some one overs you 30 million for the next 4 years and you have to move from where you came up would you do it? if you guys say no, your lying. you could set ur family up for the rest of there lives, its something you have to do, and if peezy did i would not blame him for it. in the nfl its a business, get yours when you can.

Of course I would take the money -- usually when these guys take a pay cut for the sake of the team there are one of two things happening

1) They already have a ton of cash -- ie someone like Brady/Manning taking a cut two years after they already cashed in a 20 million dollar bonus to help the team get a free agent or something

2) They know what the market is and the $$ for leaving doesn't match the benefit of staying

Joey doesn't fall into either of these categories -- I remember Roger Craig when he was arguably the best RB in football back in the late 80s playing for a fraction of what he was worth "for the sake of the team" -- I guarantee if he had it to do again he would have went after the money as a hold out with the 49ers or as a free agent...