PDA

View Full Version : And after Cowher there was....Wannstedt?

Livinginthe past
10-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Courtesy of the football 'gossip' guys at profootballtalk - not to be taken as fact obviously, but maybe worth a little harmless speculation.

WANNSTEDT COACHING HIS WAY TO CONSIDERATION FOR STEELERS' GIG?

We reported when Dave Wannstedt became the head coach of the Pitt Panthers that he was attracted to the job due in part to the possibility that, once Bill Cowher is no longer the head coach of the local pro team, Wannstedt might be able to slide into the job.

Though Wannstedt's ability to make the move seemed in doubt during a rocky start to his college coaching career in 2005, we're now told that Wannstedt will receive consideration for the Steelers job if, as many believe, Cowher packs it in after the 2006 season.

The leading candidate for the job, we're told, would be offensive line coach Russ Grimm, with offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt a close second. But if the Panthers continue to pile up wins, and if they could emerge from the scrum at the top of the Big East with the BCS berth, Wannstedt's star will be shining a lot brighter.

The key factor, as we see it, is whether the Steelers can continue to win games in 2006. If they lose more than two over the last 11, the playoffs will be very unlikely. And if the top job becomes open after a season of supreme disappointment, the in-house candidates suddenly will look less impressive.

The other intriguing factor in this regard is the so-called "Rooney Rule," which requires every team to consider at least one minority candidate for any head coaching vacancy. Since the rule is named for Steelers chairman Dan Rooney, it might be difficult for the Steelers to not hire a minority head coach when the job next becomes vacant.

NM

sumo
10-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Dan will be forced to do the minority thing ....

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Why would Cowher retire after the 2006 season???
He is signed through the 2007 season???

stlrtruck
10-19-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm not worried about Cowher but any speculation of Dave Whinestat being the HC in Pittsburgh would bring an alcer on faster than a Roethlisburger from dahn tahn (and yes I had one last year the weekend of the patsies game).

He couldn't get the job done in Miami, he's lucky to be getting it done in Big East.

Atlanta Dan
10-19-2006, 03:15 PM
I think any Wannstedt talk (IMHO that rumor is about as credible as the one that had Randy Moss being traded to the Steelers)will chill after Pitt gets waxed by Rutgers and WVU.

Wannstedt blew it in Chicago and Miami. If the Rooneys do not hire Grimm or Whiz I agree it it will be a minority hire

tony hipchest
10-19-2006, 03:27 PM
maybe we'll just bring in jimmy johnson and norv turner too.

Steel_Bus_24
10-19-2006, 03:49 PM
No way in hell that happens!!

Coaching the Panthers is one thing but he better not get anywhere near my beloved Steelers

The fans would riot in the streets all across America.

steelcurtain09
10-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Wannstedt is good at the University of Pittsburgh he as good players. he gets them because draws players from people who like him, his "legacy" (tht hes a Pitt grad), and tht people think he is good. this is allowin him to do well with the good players he draws.
In the NFL Wannstedt has to pick from a pool of players and this is not effected by a player likin a team or not. he might not get good players so he wont do as well.

Elvis
10-19-2006, 04:07 PM
:funny: Thats what I think about Wannstedt being the next head coach in pittsburgh... That would be the worst thing the steelers could do other than bringin' Mularkey back to be our headcoach...:banana: :chicken: :jawdrop:

memphissteelergirl
10-19-2006, 04:20 PM
I think not....:coffee: next question...

Hines0wnz
10-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Hell no. And if Whisenhunt uncorks another untimely play fake then he shouldn't be mentioned either.

Big D
10-19-2006, 06:21 PM
I dont think it will be whisenhunt. Play calling has been very questionable all year. And as far as Davey boy I dont think the rooneys would give this coach who doesnt have a winning record with two teams. The name you will hear i think will be ron rivera, Who i think would be a great replacement. I'll throw out another name. Minnesota viking defensive coordinator mike tomlin

Stlrs4Life
10-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Just more proof that profootballtalk is a bunch of BS.

MattsMe
10-19-2006, 10:45 PM
maybe we'll just bring in jimmy johnson and norv turner too.

Nah, I bet they go with Barry Switzer. :sofunny:

Jeremy
10-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Three words describe my emotions on that subject

OH HELL NO!

Sith Lord
10-20-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread is not even funny.

HometownGal
10-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Nah, I bet they go with Barry Switzer. :sofunny:

Nahhhh - you're both wrong. Billick is going to get the boot this year and become the next Steelers HC. :flap: *ducks from cyber rocks being thrown my way*

If the Steelers want to hire a minority - why not promote Mean Joe Greene from his current position as special assistant for player personnel?

Mosca
10-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Wannstedt is a minority? Which one? Hungarian? Armenian? He looks pretty middle class white guy to me.

Tom

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Wannstedt as Steeler Coach?....Wannstedt has never been able to control his players, a characteristic that the Rooney family is well aware of and one that they demand.

With the Bears he was able to fool people by appearing successful with Ditkas draft picks..when his picks rotated into the lineup, he was seen as the soft, weak fraud that he truly is.

The same can be said for the Dolphins...Let Wannstedt stay long enough and he will have a team loaded such with talentless losers and headcases that it takes several years to build the team back up.

Other than the obvious geographic similarities..I dont see any link to the Steelers and Coach Wannstedt at all.....This is NOT going to happen.

I could better envision Ron Zook being brought back if Cowher decides to leave.

stlrtruck
10-20-2006, 09:59 AM
And I just got my call from the Rooney's. I'm 6th on the coaching list, right under Whineystedt! But they wouldn't tell me who the top 4 were!!!

And I love Da 'Burgh too! Who wants to be my assistant coaches?

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-20-2006, 10:30 AM
And I just got my call from the Rooney's. I'm 6th on the coaching list, right under Whineystedt! But they wouldn't tell me who the top 4 were!!!

And I love Da 'Burgh too! Who wants to be my assistant coaches?

Can I be head of the drive to bring in cheerleaders?!!!....I hate cheerleaders and promise to tell them all they are not qualified....But getting paid to watch sweaty ladies bouncing around for seven weeks sounds like a job I may get up early for.:cheer::checkit:

clarient
10-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Can I be head of the drive to bring in cheerleaders?!!!....I hate cheerleaders and promise to tell them all they are not qualified....But getting paid to watch sweaty ladies bouncing around for seven weeks sounds like a job I may get up early for.:cheer::checkit:

My University band was asked to play for the Saints when they were stationed in San Antonio last season - and the cheerleaders were right in front of us. Let me tell you, they are not attractive close up.

I would hate to see cheerleaders in Black and Gold... I think they're fairly useless in an NFL game (different story in high school/college... but NFL?! No way...) and we don't need to pay a bunch of girls to wear our colors and cheer for our team when we've got a stadium full of people who are doing that already.

Livinginthe past
10-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Before we get too deeply into why the Steelers are too good for Cheerbabes.....let me ask you guys what you think about the 'minority quota' issue?

Do you think its right that there should be a deliberate push to get more coaches of a wider ethnic diversity into the NFL?

If that doesn't grab you then how about picking one current HC from the NFL that could theoretically step in after Cowher - dont worry too much about contracts and other realistic stuff - if you could have one guy who would it be?

NM

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Before we get too deeply into why the Steelers are too good for Cheerbabes.....let me ask you guys what you think about the 'minority quota' issue?

Do you think its right that there should be a deliberate push to get more coaches of a wider ethnic diversity into the NFL?

If that doesn't grab you then how about picking one current HC from the NFL that could theoretically step in after Cowher - dont worry too much about contracts and other realistic stuff - if you could have one guy who would it be?

NM

Breakdown of United states demographic

White American, 80.4%, or about 238.3 million, (the definition of White includes Hispanic people who are White or reported "some other race" in the 2000 census)

Black or African American 12.8% or 37.9 million,

Asian American 4.2% or 12.4 million,

American Indian 1% or 2.9 million

Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander 0.2% or 0.6 million,

Two or more races 1.5% or 4.5 million

With 32 teams...if my calculations are correct, 6.2 jobs would go to minorities with roughly 4 jobs going to Black Americans...currently we have...
1)Lovie Smith/Bears
2)Herm Edwards/Chiefs
3)Tony Dungy/Colts...
4)Dennis Green/Cardinals.
5)Romeo Crennel/Cleveland
6)Art Shell/Raiders

There are also 5 GM jobs held by Minorites....(all of this should be credited to the "Rooney Rule" of 2002)

Seems like a non-issue unless someone is complaining that we dont have enough Hispanic or Asian coaches.

tony hipchest
10-20-2006, 12:47 PM

NM

what i think is wrong is a deliberat attemp by the good ol boys to prevent minorities from obtaining these positions. kinda like the glass ceiling in the business world that prevents women from ascending the corporate ladder.

lovie smith, tony dungy, or jon gruden could be the successor to cowher.

stlrtruck
10-20-2006, 12:51 PM

Living in Tampa, you wouldn't want gruden as a coach. Ever since the Super Bowl, he has pretty much demolished the scubs. He might be good for a season or two but not someone I want at the helm for a very long time. He would send our team back to the good ole days of the 30's and 40's!!!

sumo
10-20-2006, 01:15 PM

NM

It doesn't matter what anybody thinks - Rooney pushed as hard as any of the other owners for their current policy - he will take a beating if he doesn't hire a minority - people like the Reverend Jackson will paint him as a hypocrite - doesn't matter if there are already 10 or 20 other African American coaches...

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-20-2006, 02:09 PM
what i think is wrong is a deliberat attemp by the good ol boys to prevent minorities from obtaining these positions. kinda like the glass ceiling in the business world that prevents women from ascending the corporate ladder.

The good ole boy system is alive in well in most aspects of corporate America...but I think that the NFL can legitamatly argue that they have been very proactive in bringing in very talented competant minorities

stlrtruck
10-20-2006, 02:14 PM
IMHO, I think giving a minority the opportunity (aka the interview) to prove himself worthy of the position is ok but to offer him the position just based on that fact alone can be destructive to the organization as a whole!

I'm sorry I'm more of a proponent of the "IF HE'S THE BEST MAN FOR THE JOB GIVE IT TO HIM" school - regardless of anything else!

steelcurtain09
10-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Nahhhh - you're both wrong. Billick is going to get the boot this year and become the next Steelers HC. :flap: *ducks from cyber rocks being thrown my way*

If the Steelers want to hire a minority - why not promote Mean Joe Greene from his current position as special assistant for player personnel?
cyber rocks?
how bout cyber bullets/grenades/rockets/tactical nuclear warheads

u r 2 creepy.
tht was just on my PSAT i took on wednesday

steelfan 92
10-20-2006, 03:00 PM
if they would hire dave wannstedt i would probably not root for the steelers anymore, that bum would just run down your franchise, he has already run down 2.

sumo
10-20-2006, 03:05 PM
if they would hire dave wannstedt i would probably not root for the steelers anymore, that bum would just run down your franchise, he has already run down 2.

I agree - keep Wanstedt out

Livinginthe past
10-20-2006, 03:08 PM

White American, 80.4%, or about 238.3 million, (the definition of White includes Hispanic people who are White or reported "some other race" in the 2000 census)

With 32 teams...if my calculations are correct, 6.2 jobs would go to minorities with roughly 4 jobs going to Black Americans...currently we have...
1)Lovie Smith/Bears
2)Herm Edwards/Chiefs
3)Tony Dungy/Colts...
6)Art Shell/Raiders

There are also 5 GM jobs held by Minorites....(all of this should be credited to the "Rooney Rule" of 2002)

Seems like a non-issue unless someone is complaining that we dont have enough Hispanic or Asian coaches.

I'll admit that breakdown of the races in the USA surprised me alot when I first discovered it a couple of months back - I had the impression that the black% would have been significantly higher.

I dont think anyone has complained specifically in recent times about this issue - its jts that whenever the conversation turns to coaches who happen to not be white that the commentators have to issue some type of disclaimer whereby they think that there should be far more coaches from minorities.

The % breakdown and the relationship it has to the actual coaches is very interesting (thanks for doing that).

Its important that there shouldnt be an invisible barrier to minority coaches, but I defintely disagree with quotas (somthing of a problem for sports teams in South Africa) where inferior coaches are promoted just to 'make the numbers up'.

NM

tony hipchest
10-20-2006, 04:32 PM
I dont think anyone has complained specifically in recent times about this issue - its jts that whenever the conversation turns to coaches who happen to not be white that the commentators have to issue some type of disclaimer whereby they think that there should be far more coaches from minorities.

NM

i dont know who qualifies as anyone to you but last year, here in the american media, there was a huge deal made about the 8-9 new head coach vacancies filled. not one was a minority (until al davis saved the day, at the last minute, and hired al davis).

of course herm edwards landed a new position but he basically switched from the jets to the chiefs.

there is a school of thought that al davis took a bullet for the nfl to get back in their good graces.

Livinginthe past
10-20-2006, 04:46 PM
i dont know who qualifies as anyone to you but last year, here in the american media, there was a huge deal made about the 8-9 new head coach vacancies filled. not one was a minority (until al davis saved the day, at the last minute, and hired al davis).

of course herm edwards landed a new position but he basically switched from the jets to the chiefs.

there is a school of thought that al davis took a bullet for the nfl to get back in their good graces.

Maybe that was in the back of my head when this subject arose, though I couldnt recall the specific incident you mention.

I'd be willing to bet that there are plenty of owners who'd give the white guy the thumbs up - but thats human nature - I have found enforced quota's to be mostly bad news where I have encountered it.

I doubt whether Al davis is going to start kow-towing to the NFl at this stage, though I suppsoe anything is possible.

NM

SteelCzar76
10-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Dan will be forced to do the minority thing ....

What the f#ck is the,..... "Minority Thing" ? I was going to say we should go with Russ. But just to make YOU sick,.... i'll nominate Rod Woodson.

"Hail Caesar,.....Hail THE BLACK AND GOLD"

tony hipchest
10-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Maybe that was in the back of my head when this subject arose, though I couldnt recall the specific incident you mention.

I'd be willing to bet that there are plenty of owners who'd give the white guy the thumbs up - but thats human nature - I have found enforced quota's to be mostly bad news where I have encountered it.

I doubt whether Al davis is going to start kow-towing to the NFl at this stage, though I suppsoe anything is possible.

NMthere wasnt a specific incident. there were many incidents and it was a hot topic of sports media (including popular periodicals such as usa today/ sports weekly, sports illustrated, hbo's inside the nfl, espn's sportscenter and nfl live, total access, fox and cbs pre game shows, etc.) that so many opennings were being filled and not one by a minority. it was almost applauded when the last vacancy was filled by a minority (al davis hiring art shell) if this didnt happen you wouldve heard alot more about it.

im pretty sure you could do a search and even jesse jackson had an opinion of last years jobs being filled. im not sure how many 'official' complaints were filed though.

Jeremy
10-20-2006, 05:03 PM
One name to keep an eye on is Darren Perry, our secondary coach. I know he's only a positional coach, but his name keeps being brought up by "those who know" around the NFL. It's pretty much assumed he'll eventually get a shot at a HC job, the question is where.

Livinginthe past
10-20-2006, 05:29 PM
there wasnt a specific incident. there were many incidents and it was a hot topic of sports media (including popular periodicals such as usa today/ sports weekly, sports illustrated, hbo's inside the nfl, espn's sportscenter and nfl live, total access, fox and cbs pre game shows, etc.) that so many opennings were being filled and not one by a minority. it was almost applauded when the last vacancy was filled by a minority (al davis hiring art shell) if this didnt happen you wouldve heard alot more about it.

im pretty sure you could do a search and even jesse jackson had an opinion of last years jobs being filled. im not sure how many 'official' complaints were filed though.

I see.

Well I guess I remember a general feeling that more minority coaches should be promoted, the logic was that so many players are African American that they should be better represented within the coaching ranks.

I do have quite a bit of access to most American sports media - nfl.com, espn, SI and most of the online joirnals that dont require the (pain in the ass) registration details (where I have a fictional address and zipcode in the States)

Guys like Jesse Jackson seem like leeches to me, I remember him hopping on the bandwagon in the McNabb v Owens soap opera - I was disappointed he decide to take the more high profile guys side rather than the one who deserved his support.

NM

MACH1
10-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Wannstedt would just run things into the ground. Maybe they could talk Vermeil out of retirement. Nahhh :funny: :eyecrazy:

Mosca
10-20-2006, 06:16 PM
And if you count Marvin Lewis as a coach instead of as a warden you're over the quota.

Tom

1)Lovie Smith/Bears
2)Herm Edwards/Chiefs
3)Tony Dungy/Colts...
6)Art Shell/Raiders

SteelCzar76
10-20-2006, 07:51 PM

1)Lovie Smith/Bears
2)Herm Edwards/Chiefs
3)Tony Dungy/Colts...
6)Art Shell/Raiders

So basicly,....Hispanics (whom have, Negro, Mongol and caucasian blood) and all other people that are varying mixtures geneticly of these three "STOCK's",.... are now considered "White" ?
Whereas not very long ago,....ALL people with any genes from the continent of Africa to any extent where considered inferior to those of NORTHERN european descent. (And NON white)
Apparently maintaining the doctrines of division, ( and ultimatley control by the true minority, whom don't give a f#ck about any such nonsense LOL),....are taking yet another interesting turn.
Don't you understand that they're are only three types of people in this world,.....
1:The Wealthy/ruling elite
2: The poor
3: And the sheep in the middle whom,...provide the perfect buffer between the first two by dwelling on such shit as "race", Politic's and whatever else they're PROGRAMMED to think about.
The Rooney Family will hire whomever they feel is qualified and fits this organization's ideal's and philosophy. Regardless,....of "race" and especially any opinions of the "Unilluminated"
Perhap's i'm wrong for making this public. (LOL)
But honor dictates as much.

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Jacknut
10-20-2006, 08:21 PM
I adovate we hire a minority coach... from the minority that knows how to win.

tony hipchest
10-20-2006, 08:56 PM
I see.

Well I guess I remember a general feeling that more minority coaches should be promoted, the logic was that so many players are African American that they should be better represented within the coaching ranks.

I do have quite a bit of access to most American sports media - nfl.com, espn, SI and most of the online joirnals that dont require the (pain in the ass) registration details (where I have a fictional address and zipcode in the States)

Guys like Jesse Jackson seem like leeches to me, I remember him hopping on the bandwagon in the McNabb v Owens soap opera - I was disappointed he decide to take the more high profile guys side rather than the one who deserved his support.

NMagreed on j. jackson.

there was a huge firestorm brewing until a. davis hired art shell. i commented on it back in feb. when shell was hired: Re: raider new coach!!

the nfl just breathed a big sigh of relief. al davis bailed them out of what was a big stink of 9 coaches being hired and not one of them a minority (herm edwards just swithed teams). not only did davis do what was right for his team but he did what was right for the nfl. good job al, although im sure he will still be viewed as the bad guy, renegade owner of the nfl. perhaps unfairly.

funny how the impending firestorm ended immediately after shell was hired.

i agree with LLT. the nfl has been very proactive (much more than corporate america). weve seen the gains black qb's have made in the nfl w/o any quota system and i think with time we will see the same gains made in the coaching ranks.

actually id have to say theres been an equal progression of minority coaches and qbs in the nfl.

stlrtruck
10-20-2006, 09:33 PM
I adovate we hire a minority coach... from the minority that knows how to win.

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-21-2006, 10:00 AM
there wasnt a specific incident. there were many incidents and it was a hot topic of sports media (including popular periodicals such as usa today/ sports weekly, sports illustrated, hbo's inside the nfl, espn's sportscenter and nfl live, total access, fox and cbs pre game shows, etc.) that so many opennings were being filled and not one by a minority. it was almost applauded when the last vacancy was filled by a minority (al davis hiring art shell) if this didnt happen you wouldve heard alot more about it.

I think people still bring it up and it is becomes more of a hot topic when one makes the arguement that the percentage of minority players in the NFL does not translate into an equal percentage of minority coaching...I still believe that the best man should get the job...but also understand that it is hard to determine who the best man is when someonhe may not ever get the chance to prove himself.
So then the question is....what is a fair percentage?...should the ruler be that coaches should reflect the percentage of minorities based on national demographics..or reflect the percentage of the players they are representing.
Where I work there are 0 minorities on the floor..but we have one minority supervisor...if one would follow the second rule... than our one minority supervisor would not have her job since she does not reflect the percentage of those she represents.

Stillers#1
10-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Hell no. And if Whisenhunt uncorks another untimely play fake then he shouldn't be mentioned either.

Amazing how quickly people are turning on Whiz, he is right more often than Although, personally I would rather see Grimm promoted. He seems like he is most like Cowher.

tony hipchest
10-21-2006, 11:54 AM
I think people still bring it up and it is becomes more of a hot topic when one makes the arguement that the percentage of minority players in the NFL does not translate into an equal percentage of minority coaching...I still believe that the best man should get the job...but also understand that it is hard to determine who the best man is when someonhe may not ever get the chance to prove himself.
So then the question is....what is a fair percentage?...should the ruler be that coaches should reflect the percentage of minorities based on national demographics..or reflect the percentage of the players they are representing.
Where I work there are 0 minorities on the floor..but we have one minority supervisor...if one would follow the second rule... than our one minority supervisor would not have her job since she does not reflect the percentage of those she represents.good points. if there was a rule it seems fair that they be based on national demographics.

the rooney rule is working and the color barrier has been busted down. but there will not be a world of change overnight. eventually as coaches become more qualified we will see more blacks in the top jobs. the same has been seen with black qb's. it hardly seems an issue anymore (besides the 1 rush limbaugh incident). in fact i dont remember much being said about vince young being the qb taken 1st ahead of m. leinart.

20 years ago this wouldve been a huge story. back them some wouldve cried conspiracy in some sort of secret affirmative action manuver.