PDA

View Full Version : season over

bozz723
10-22-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm not one to be negative but...

This loss has officially ended the steeler season. Whenever you hand a team 21 points for free, and then stop playing defense after those scores, you have no will to win. This loss has officially ended this season, and to lose to the falcons makes me sick, That team is absolute garbage, and so is our defense.

BigJen
10-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Do you know anything about football????

SteelersNationsfl
10-22-2006, 04:54 PM
3 Turnovers for 21 points didn't help either, before you start blaming the defense.

Livinginthe past
10-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Wow the sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Sure, you lost a shootout today and played some awful defense and special teams but the passing offense was something special considering the way Willie was shut down.

Ben was awesome and threw some great passes right on the money.

Alot of mistakes for sure, but lets not forget how different these threads would look if Pittsburgh had won the OT toss (the worst rule in the NFL possibly).

10-6 is still very much in reach.

NM

clarient
10-22-2006, 04:59 PM
You know what I hear?

WAAAAAAHHH WAAHHHHH WAAHHHHHH.

You sound like a Seahawk fan! Stop feeling sorry for yourself and your team! The season is NOT over and even if it is unlikely that we can come back and win it all, we can still come back and show them that the Steelers know how to play some damned football!

I don't care about the Division Championship or the Superbowl... I care about keeping my head HIGH and showing the rest of the nation that losses or no losses, we are still champions!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-22-2006, 05:04 PM
I dont know i think our offense played a better game today then i have seen in a long time.
Our defense just got tired, but with all the turnovers.........they played much more then they are suppose to....
We need to play fundamental football and hold onto the damn thing...........I dont think you can look at this game and point out anything bad besides the turnovers.

MACH1
10-22-2006, 05:05 PM
How many teams were 12-4 , 11-5 last year and did not make the playoffs? Its not looking to promising at this point.

Livinginthe past
10-22-2006, 05:07 PM
You know what I hear?

You sound like a Seahawk fan! Stop feeling sorry for yourself and your team! The season is NOT over and even if it is unlikely that we can come back and win it all, we can still come back and show them that the Steelers know how to play some damned football!

I don't care about the Division Championship or the Superbowl... I care about keeping my head HIGH and showing the rest of the nation that losses or no losses, we are still champions!

Nice post.

Too many posters sound like spoilt cry-babies who think they are owed Steelers victories.

NM

bozz723
10-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Yea youre right, im jsut extraordinarily pissed off right now. I'm positive the broncos cant beat us, but honestly, if i tell you we score 38 points and lose, no one on earth would believe me.

We basically just said to the falcons, "here, go ahead, take 21 free points. We don't want to win this game." We played careless again, and when you give a team 21 points, and momentum on the road, its nigh impossible to win. Then Nate Washington ends the game on a false start, when we could have possibly won the game. It honestly took a miracle to beat us today, and the falcons got it.

This loss IMO, is too much to overcome for this season. We have to win out.

fansince88
10-22-2006, 05:09 PM
All I can say is how quickly we forget. Two words to remember: Sixth Seed!

touchdownward
10-22-2006, 05:10 PM
The season is not over, we're the Pittsburgh Steelers!
This is when our team performs best, backs against the wall.
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

bigdogluvit
10-22-2006, 05:15 PM

This loss has officially ended the steeler season. Whenever you hand a team 21 points for free, and then stop playing defense after those scores, you have no will to win. This loss has officially ended this season, and to lose to the falcons makes me sick, That team is absolute garbage, and so is our defense.

I AGREE USUCK BENGALS RULE

SteelCityMan786
10-22-2006, 05:24 PM
The Season is FAR from over. By the way things look. Anywhere from 10-6 to 12-4 is STILL POSSIBLE. The Big road hurdle still remaning is at home against Denver. Relax guys.

clarient
10-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Yea youre right, im jsut extraordinarily pissed off right now. I'm positive the broncos cant beat us, but honestly, if i tell you we score 38 points and lose, no one on earth would believe me.

We basically just said to the falcons, "here, go ahead, take 21 free points. We don't want to win this game." We played careless again, and when you give a team 21 points, and momentum on the road, its nigh impossible to win. Then Nate Washington ends the game on a false start, when we could have possibly won the game. It honestly took a miracle to beat us today, and the falcons got it.

This loss IMO, is too much to overcome for this season. We have to win out.

I definitely agree with you in regards to careless playing and giving away points. We giftwrapped that game courtesy of a weak D and poor special teams, with a big fat bow on top called Missed Oppurtunities and Stupid Mistakes.

If I let myself get depressed and dejected, though, how can I expect my team to come back next week and play the kind of football they need to be playing? I know that none of us can really influence how they play on the field, but I refuse to bow down and expect losses, even now. I go into every game demanding a win. If we lose - and yeah, we've been losing - I just gotta shake it off.

Our guys gotta learn their lessons... watching that game in review is going to smart, but if they can accurately pinpoint exactly what is going wrong, than they can fix it this week and leave it behind next time. (Although for pete's sake, guys, for real this time?!?!)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that is sucks ASS to lose, but you can't dwell on it any more than the players can. And you have to hold the same high standards no matter what the record looks like. No pity parties! And especially no quitting!

Just to be fair, I guess we all get a free five minutes for screaming, cursing God, the refs, and the world... but not more! Five minutes is all you get!

bigdogluvit
10-22-2006, 05:43 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/02/18/Howard_Dean_narrowweb__200x233.jpg Beowwwwwwwwwwww!!
[/quote]

HometownGal
10-22-2006, 05:45 PM
You know what I hear?

Thank God there are still some believers around here. :thumbsup:

http://www.globalschoolnet.org/about/images/applause.gif

There are still 10 games left to be played- 5 against divisional rivals. The Bungles and Rats still have to play each other twice. I REFUSE to give up on this team. Yes - today's loss hurt and hurt bad. I don't think I've ever felt so sad after a game, but I'm going to look ahead to the next 10 weeks and keep that faith alive. :cheer:

bigdogluvit
10-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Thank God there are still some believers around here. :thumbsup:

http://www.globalschoolnet.org/about/images/applause.gif

There are still 10 games left to be played- 5 against divisional rivals. The Bungles and Rats still have to play each other twice. I REFUSE to give up on this team. Yes - today's loss hurt and hurt bad. I don't think I've ever felt so sad after a game, but I'm going to look ahead to the next 10 weeks and keep that faith alive. :cheer:

way to keep ur head up homwtown u get a
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/02/18/Howard_Dean_narrowweb__200x233.jpg Beowwwwwwwwwwww!!

HometownGal
10-22-2006, 05:50 PM
I AGREE USUCK BENGALS RULE

Time for a shampoo....

http://www.2simsisters.com/Objects/Bathroom/Orange4/OrangeToilet.gif

james203
10-22-2006, 05:51 PM
OK....balt & cincy are tied for fist place @ 4-2 & pitts is 2-4.pitts is 2 games behind balt & cincy.next week balt vs new orleans,cincy @ atlanta & pitts @ oak. lets just hope pitts wins & balt & cincy lose & that will put them only 1 game behind.clev is not out of it either.BOTTOM LINE... the steelers season is NOT over yet BUT the defense has got to get it together.giving up 41 points to atlanta was pathetic.pitts had a chance to beat atl at the end of regulation but thanks to penalties it didnt happen.

SteelCzar76
10-22-2006, 05:51 PM

It's going to be hard for any defense that is not exceptional in it's entirety to overcome the level of moronic turnover's we handed to the Falcons.
The Defense as a whole is far from garbage. The front seven and Troy did their jobs for the most part. The only "garbage" was once again,......(as it ALWAYS is when it comes to keeping teams out the endzone when it matters),......our average and or undersized SECONDARY.
(They deserve a Falcon game ball on allowing MICHAEL VICK to have a career day PASSING)
Most of the guy's left it all on the field,.......but the hard truth is that "Ducks" will never be Eagle's. Coach should keep his head up,.....it's not his fault.
In regards to our season being over,...last time i checked we are'nt mathematicly eleminated. We just have to go hard for the rest of the season,... regardless of whom on our roster will apparently step up every week to do their best to make sure we lose.
Ultimatley,....this is our current roster,.....all we can do is Man Up for the rest of this year and hope the front office does it's job this offseason.
Bottom line,......Not to take anything away from a solid Falcon's team,.....but we once again defeated ourselves.

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

stillers4me
10-22-2006, 05:52 PM
I dont know i think our offense played a better game today then i have seen in a long time.
Our defense just got tired, but with all the turnovers.........they played much more then they are suppose to....
We need to play fundamental football and hold onto the damn thing...........I dont think you can look at this game and point out anything bad besides the turnovers.

Absolutely agree!! Costly costly mistakes!!! But what was good was very good! Ben played awesome!! Charlie, bless his heart, played awesome!!! costly mistakes lost that game for us. Our D was exhausted by the time we were OT.
This season isn't over by a ong shot. And even if and when the day comes that we have no playoff chances, we still need to play our very best and build for next year. And I will be RIGHT HERE cheering for the only team I will EVER cheer for!!

Livinginthe past
10-22-2006, 05:52 PM
way to keep ur head up homwtown u get a

There is a Blast Furnace area for this type of smack.

Have your fun in there and you may last long enough to post next weekend.

NM

Steel Warrior
10-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Let's take a look, ratbirds twice, stains twice, bengals, saints, panthers, bucs, broncos, and raiders. We've got to go 9-1 in those games, as 8-2 might not do it. Definite kudos to those that have blind faith, but I'm a realist, seasons over. :smoker:

stlrtruck
10-22-2006, 05:55 PM
It's not over until we are officially out of the playoffs. And last time I checked, that hasn't happened yet. To even assume that it's over is more bunglish then anything else!

And all will be fine in Steel town. We've got two games against the Ravens and one more against said bungles. Those games alone put us back where we need to be and where we belong.

SteelCityMan786
10-22-2006, 05:57 PM

NM

In fact, this is where this thread is GOING.

X-Terminator
10-22-2006, 05:59 PM

NM

Funny how these idiots come out this week, when they were nowhere to be found the past 2 weeks, one of them being a loss to a WINLESS TEAM...

hardwork
10-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Hello. Tough game Steeler fans. Can't win 'em all though.

Has anybody heard how the Patriots did? I went out for a little hike and just got back.

SteelCityMan786
10-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Hello. Tough game Steeler fans. Can't win 'em all though.

Has anybody heard how the Patriots did? I went out for a little hike and just got back.

r u Kidding me you don't know what the Patriots did? This thread has been reopened since LITP knocked some living sense into me.

Lyn
10-22-2006, 06:11 PM
I still cant understand how Atlanta could hit the guy on kickoff and recover the onsides without a penalty for interfering with a catch................but gotta look on the bright side......the season is Far From OVER

We have little room for error but we are not done! We still have most of our division games left which we will win.
Batch came through and gave us another glowing performance, like I say gotta look at the bright spots!~

stillers4me
10-22-2006, 06:16 PM
It's not over until we are officially out of the playoffs. And last time I checked, that hasn't happened yet. To even assume that it's over is more bunglish then anything else!

And all will be fine in Steel town. We've got two games against the Ravens and one more against said bungles. Those games alone put us back where we need to be and where we belong.

Bunglish....I like it!! Stlrtruck just coined my favorite new word!! :thumbsup:

stillers4me
10-22-2006, 06:19 PM
Seeing Ben come back out and cheer his team on is my bright spot of the game!! Hopefully he won't be out for long (NOBODY hurts my boy!!) but I have all the faith in the world in Charlie.......thank you football gods for Charlie Batch!!! He was awesome!

Maybe they can talk Ben into one of those special helmets now. Stubborn boy.

19ward86
10-22-2006, 06:36 PM
the call on the false start from nate washington at the end of the 4th quarter was crap. he barely even moved yet the refs called it and ruined it for us.

Livinginthe past
10-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Err the refs definitely didnt ruin it - it was a good call just an inexperienced play by a young guy who thought he was doing the right thing.

NM

stillers4me
10-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Err the refs definitely didnt ruin it - it was a good call just an inexperienced play by a young guy who thought he was doing the right thing.

NM

I agree......our rookies are making costly mistakes. But I guess we have to take the ups and the downs........I think both Nate and Santonio are going to be valuable Steelers in the very near future. I'm not ready to give up on either of them...yet. Bens' rookie mistakes cost us a championship that first year (bless his heart).......but I think most Steeler fans have long forgiven him for being a rookie when he was .....a rookie.

Livinginthe past
10-22-2006, 07:28 PM
I agree......our rookies are making costly mistakes. But I guess we have to take the ups and the downs........I think both Nate and Santonio are going to be valuable Steelers in the very near future. I'm not ready to give up on either of them...yet. Bens' rookie mistakes cost us a championship that first year (bless his heart).......but I think most Steeler fans have long forgiven him for being a rookie when he was .....a rookie.

Its all part of the learning curve.

Most of those guys are making mistakes but the attention is being drawn to them becasue more experienced members of the Steelers squad are not stepping up on a regular basis.

Ben massively over achieved in his first year and alot more experienced QB's have been humbled by the Patriots at playoff time.

Im genuinely impressed with Santonio and his route running so far, which has improved greatly from the first couple of game (where it was awful)

NM

SteelCzar76
10-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Santonio will be fine. lack of ability and or skill is not the problem. It's simply a matter of inexperience. He's not just a glorified backup player with some heart who's cheap and therefore easier to fill a roster with.

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Stillers#1
10-22-2006, 07:52 PM
the call on the false start from nate washington at the end of the 4th quarter was crap. he barely even moved yet the refs called it and ruined it for us.

Barely moving is still moving, and thats what makes a false start. Nate shouldn't have budged. As much as the call sucked and hurt, it was his mistake, the ref made the right call.

augustashark
10-22-2006, 08:10 PM
We lost! It really sucks, but we move on and get ready for Oakland.

I will say this, that running into the kicker was a total BS call. I've seen some posts here where they are saying it was like the one in Tenn in the plaoffs in 02, but I will tell you it was'nt even close. The one in 02 was borderline but it was running in to kicker, this one however was not. We lost 5 seconds due to that call.

steelers07
10-22-2006, 08:18 PM

Look OK!! I am just as pissed off as you are about that loss today! However we did have some really good offense i mean Charlie Batch give the man credit!! He did have a few bad throws but he did have some AWSOME ones too!! SPECIAL ED TEAMS SUCK!!! They are what is losing the game for us I don't understand what their problem is! I am not going to blame the game on dumb shit we lost again on CARELESS MISTAKES!! But i still love the STEELERS and they could still win the bengals are still playing very shitty and only have a tougher schedule from here on out and Baltimore has been playing shitty too!! So don't give up hope just yet we can do this!! WE ARE THE SUPERBOWL TEAM RIGHT?!?!?!??!

HometownGal
10-22-2006, 09:48 PM

I had to agree with the ref's call there, 19. It believe 100% that it was the correct call. Movement is movement whether you move a little or you move a lot, unfortunately. C'mon hon - we're Pittsburgh Steelers fans and we're better than this. The Steelers have no one to blame but themselves for this loss (and I can almost guarantee that every member of this team and Cowher would agree) and blaming the refs is reminscent of.......dare I say it.......Seafags fans. :jawdrop:

Tankus_Maximus
10-22-2006, 10:05 PM
The toughest part of our schedule is over, they can easily go 12-4 and make it in.

The boys gotta quit turning the everlovin ball over and givin away points!! We're killin ourselves, and our special teams has gotta consistently show up every play!! Giving field position away is terrible!!!

hardwork
10-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Does anyone know how the Patriots did today? I think they played that team with the bison on their helmet.

SteelCityMan786
10-22-2006, 10:22 PM
Does anyone know how the Patriots did today? I think they played that team with the bison on their helmet.

Hardwork, It's not that hard to tell that you are being sarcastic.

hardwork
10-22-2006, 10:29 PM
Hardwork, It's not that hard to tell that you are being sarcastic.

Me? Sarcastic? Not a chance, 786.

CantStop85
10-22-2006, 10:32 PM
They still got that Tom Brady guy? I heard he was pretty good.

Livinginthe past
10-23-2006, 12:12 AM
We lost! It really sucks, but we move on and get ready for Oakland.

I will say this, that running into the kicker was a total BS call. I've seen some posts here where they are saying it was like the one in Tenn in the plaoffs in 02, but I will tell you it was'nt even close. The one in 02 was borderline but it was running in to kicker, this one however was not. We lost 5 seconds due to that call.

Totally agree with that actually - that was a shocking call - I dont see what Polamalu could do to avoid the punter and even then it was absolute minimal contact.

You have to think that this wasn't the type of play the rule was designed to prevent.

NM

MattsMe
10-23-2006, 12:19 AM
I dont see what Polamalu could do to avoid the punter

Seeing as how their punter wasn't even on the field, I'd say Polamalu avoided him just fine.

(Koenen being listed on the roster as a punter doesn't matter. He isn't a punter when he's kicking field goals.)

tony hipchest
10-23-2006, 01:32 AM
Seeing as how their punter wasn't even on the field, I'd say Polamalu avoided him just fine.

(Koenen being listed on the roster as a punter doesn't matter. He isn't a punter when he's kicking field goals.)

:chuckle:

augustas post even included:

I will say this, that running into the kicker was a total BS call.

i guess if he is "listed" as a punter then he was on the field to punt, after all theres no way Livid'ntoo Pissed could be wrong is there? :smile: (dont sweat it lntp...just busting your balls...again:wink02: )

SteelerFanInCA
10-23-2006, 10:51 AM

Until we are mathematically eliminated, I refuse and will not throw this season out the window. There are still quiet a bit of divisional and conference games left to be played and anything can happen.

I was just as frustrated with yesterday's loss as every one else. For now I'm just thinking about our next opponent and nothing else. Cinn & Balt have a pretty tough second half schedule. We just have to start taking care of business and it starts this week with the Raiders. I haven't lost faith in these guys because there is still alot of talent left on this team. I know our margin for error is minimal but I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. We may have to play like a deperate football team in the next few weeks and I sure the Steelers will be up to the challenge as well.

Go Steelers!!!!

Watchng Steelers Football One Week At A Time

Mosca
10-23-2006, 11:15 AM
If the Whos down in Whoville can have Christmas without toys and trees and roast beast, then we can have the Steelers without titles.

If you're a fan, then the wins and the titles are icing on the cake. It's the hope for the future that drives you, regardless (just ask a Cubs fan if you don't believe me). If you lose the hope for the future, you cease being a Steelers fan.

Tom

meanjoecoop
10-23-2006, 11:56 AM
I love those nail biters. The game that keeps you on the edge of your seat till the last second is the ultimate rush. The playoff game against the Colts is my favorite game in the whole run for the Super Bowl. I watch it every once in a while and it still gets me going. The playoff game in Cincy is fun to watch just to see how they totally crumbled in the second half.

I just wish we weren’t playing against ourselves this year. Yesterday’s loss and the loss to Cincy never should have happened. 21 points given up in both on stupid turnovers and exacerbated by penalties.

We by far got more for our money in entertainment yesterday than other fans did. (Heck, half the Bungal fans left or changed channels as soon as the Panthers took the lead.) Unfortunately, in the end, it didnt go in our favor.

I'm not resigned that this season is even close to over. Either way I know where I'll be on Sundays.

j-dawg
10-23-2006, 01:07 PM
hey guys... that loss was tough, but this team has proven it can bounce back... i wish i could say the same thing for the browns. you have some very good match ups... i mean, i hate to say it, but after watching yesterdays game against the broncos, i don't see how the browns could possibly beat any team we're matched up against this season... the opposing team will have to hand the game to us... with a slight exception against the teaxans... (even though they beat us last year also... :yuck:)

case in point... charlie batch... he's an excellent quarterback... imagine if you had, say, ken dorsey coming in after ben went down?

the ravens and bengals are both still struggling... i'd say that the steelers still have the better team in this division...

so, yeah, you're down... but no way is this team out... unlike the browns... who are once again playing for next year. :banging:

Jeremy
10-23-2006, 01:09 PM
Pretty sad when a Browns fan has to pump some sunshine for us.

MACH1
10-23-2006, 01:56 PM
at least he's man enough to admit it. props to him

HometownGal
10-23-2006, 01:58 PM
hey guys... that loss was tough, but this team has proven it can bounce back... i wish i could say the same thing for the browns. you have some very good match ups... i mean, i hate to say it, but after watching yesterdays game against the broncos, i don't see how the browns could possibly beat any team we're matched up against this season... the opposing team will have to hand the game to us... with a slight exception against the teaxans... (even though they beat us last year also... :yuck:)

case in point... charlie batch... he's an excellent quarterback... imagine if you had, say, ken dorsey coming in after ben went down?

the ravens and bengals are both still struggling... i'd say that the steelers still have the better team in this division...

so, yeah, you're down... but no way is this team out... unlike the browns... who are once again playing for next year. :banging:

Thanks jdawg - you're always such a breath of fresh air around here when we need it most! Props and rep to you. :cheers:

Livinginthe past
10-23-2006, 03:35 PM

I do beg your pardon.

I guess i just got caught up in the excitement of watching another nail biting choke by the black'n'gold.

My bad :smile:

NM

Jeremy
10-23-2006, 04:07 PM
Your signature has to be the ultimate strawman argument.

Livinginthe past
10-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Your signature has to be the ultimate strawman argument.

I hardly think so.

Plenty of people, including many posters on this forum, were preaching long and hard how the Patriots time had passed.

Wishful thinking.

5-1 is what it is.

So is 2-4.

NM

Jeremy
10-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Plenty of people also prepared for Y2K. That didn't make it a credible threat.

Livinginthe past
10-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Plenty of people also prepared for Y2K. That didn't make it a credible threat.

Y2K?

Not a credible threat?

Sounds like the perfect nickname for the 2006/7 Steelers D dont you think?

All talk and very little end result.

NM

Jeremy
10-23-2006, 04:45 PM
You're really very amusing. You can hardly make a coherent argument.