PDA

View Full Version : If we still had ARE we would be 4-2

steelcityjameser
10-22-2006, 07:17 PM
i firmly believe this, too. I think Santonio is going to blossom into a solid returner, but he has to maintain his concentration. Colcough killed us in one game causing a turnover that would have been the difference if it was not taken in for a score, and now look at what Holmes has done. We can only move forward, and given how our receivers are stepping up it is hard to really see where ARE and what he would seeked in freeagent dollars would be justified. I really do believe though, if he was somehow still a Steeler we would be 4-2. Thoughts?

clarient
10-22-2006, 07:21 PM
I think it's a bit self-destructive to wonder what we might be if things had been different - once you get into the realms of what-if's, you start losing sight of what you've got and what to do with it.

Although I definitely miss Randle-El... he worked well with us.

touchdownward
10-22-2006, 07:30 PM
I miss having El on our team too, but let's remember he said it was God's decision whether or not to stay. I guess God told him to go for the $$$$$. :wink02:

Do receivers still put that stickum on their hands? Maybe Holmes should try that.

Go Steelers!!!!!
:tt02:

paw-n-maul-u
10-22-2006, 07:30 PM
ya know, as sad as this sounds, it could quite possibly be true. I would love to chalk up another W had it not been for ricardos butterfingers. but I mean ... would you rather have matched ARE's salary that the deadskins gave him ... or be able to resign taylor, troy and ben. i firmly believe that if ARE stayed ... taylor would be gone. i think we should have reached into FA to rent a reciever for this year, but it looks like we really do have some good promise at WR.

steelcityjameser
10-22-2006, 07:44 PM
ya know, as sad as this sounds, it could quite possibly be true. I would love to chalk up another W had it not been for ricardos butterfingers. but I mean ... would you rather have matched ARE's salary that the deadskins gave him ... or be able to resign taylor, troy and ben. i firmly believe that if ARE stayed ... taylor would be gone. i think we should have reached into FA to rent a reciever for this year, but it looks like we really do have some good promise at WR.

yeah, i like the receiving corps we have now as they are really starting to gain chemistry and rhythm. that's why i said i don't really see HOW we could justify keeping him, but i do think we would be 4-2 if he was still in the black and gold. at the end of the year do those two wins make or break our season? we will see. so the question will be, what price can be put on a couple more wins if they make a difference in what direction your season goes?

steelcityjameser
10-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Do receivers still put that stickum on their hands? Maybe Holmes should try that.

Go Steelers!!!!!
:tt02:

i'm fairly sure it's illegal in the NFL, but whatever work.:wink02:

steelcityjameser
10-22-2006, 07:48 PM
I think it's a bit self-destructive to wonder what we might be if things had been different - once you get into the realms of what-if's, you start losing sight of what you've got and what to do with it.

Although I definitely miss Randle-El... he worked well with us.

it is not self-destructive to question decision-making or a decision that was made. the key, as you said is to not lose sight of what you have and what you need to do to make it better. you know, i never liked him *that* much, either. just another example of not knowing what you have until it's gone. and by the end of the year we may be so shored up in that area and on such a roll that this thread is a moot point.

SteelCzar76
10-22-2006, 07:59 PM
i firmly believe this, too. I think Santonio is going to blossom into a solid returner, but he has to maintain his concentration. Colcough killed us in one game causing a turnover that would have been the difference if it was not taken in for a score, and now look at what Holmes has done. We can only move forward, and given how our receivers are stepping up it is hard to really see where ARE and what he would seeked in freeagent dollars would be justified. I really do believe though, if he was somehow still a Steeler we would be 4-2. Thoughts?

Maybe so,....maybe not. The list of "what if's" in regards to our current roster is longer than the Bible. But thinking of any of them are pointless now.
We're in the middle of one of our best ClusterF#cks since the Kordell days. I think it's time we stop doing our part to make it happen,....with all of the turnovers, blown blocking assignments, dropped passes and coverage failures. You know,.....play not only like Champions,......but like PROFESSIONALS.

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Steelers
10-22-2006, 08:14 PM
He wanted way too much money. Our WRs and Santonio at returner next year will be scary-good. Just live through this Hell of a season, and we'll have lots to be happy about next year.

HometownGal
10-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Or we could be 0-6, or we could be 1-5 - can't look back and think about what could have been because we just don't know. Though El was a damned good return guy and played a key role in the razzle dazzle plays, he wasn't a very good receiver for the most part and had his bouts of banana fingers. There is no "I" in TEAM - we win as a team and we lose as a team. Today, we lost as a team - no other way to look at it. I don't believe for one minute that El would have made much difference.

We are who we are and we're a damned good team overall. The Steelers just need to work out the kinks and eliminate the mistakes.

P.S. Washington had El in the lineup for most of the game and still lost. Just some food for thought.

SteelCityMan786
10-22-2006, 08:27 PM
We have to FORGET ABOUT ARE! He is no longer in a Steelers uniform. time to move on. Should woulda coulda doesn't erase the facts. We're 2-4. It's time to get ready for oakland.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-22-2006, 08:33 PM

I wish Randel El was her too.....but hes not.......move one...

OHHHHH ya, would you have said the same thing last year when he screwed up the patriots game trying to make a play and fumbled and was proubably the reason we lost the game..........

problem with many fans is their high on one player for a game, then bitch about them the next..........Its a team sport......Its black and gold baby

desertsteel
10-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Not having ARE is so not the reason we're 2-4 - BUT... when will Willie Reid get his shot? Was he hurt today? I know he was injured a couple weeks back.

steelcityjameser
10-22-2006, 09:27 PM
We have to FORGET ABOUT ARE! He is no longer in a Steelers uniform. time to move on. Should woulda coulda doesn't erase the facts. We're 2-4. It's time to get ready for oakland.

i know the general consensus of ARE was that of a well-liked player; i didn't even like him that much! i'm just bringing up some nonconstructive reality because i'm frustrated about the game today; or at least that's my psychoanalysis on the situation. sorry. for the 3rd time i love our receiving core and don't see how ARE would fit in, but we would probably be 4-2 if he was returning our punts. santonio will develop though, and in the end he will gain more than he loses. we have an uphill road ahead, but it is conquerable. here we go steelers!

kyflash15
10-22-2006, 09:32 PM
holmes has been a good receiver for us... but as far a returning... he has messed things up for us at least 3 times this year.... today he was the reason for our 0-7 start, i think we need to put davenport or reid back there...

steelcityjameser
10-22-2006, 09:41 PM
I wish Randel El was her too.....but hes not.......move one...

OHHHHH ya, would you have said the same thing last year when he screwed up the patriots game trying to make a play and fumbled and was proubably the reason we lost the game..........

problem with many fans is their high on one player for a game, then bitch about them the next..........Its a team sport......Its black and gold baby

1)polomalu
2)hines
3)ben
4)heath
5)farrior
6)hampton
7)aaron smith
8)fanaca and hartings; i can't put them lower as they are probably really in the six spot but hampton is the unheard of monster. i love him.
9)run willie, run
10)i guess ike(or foote).

that's my tentavie fav player list; of course i appreciate all the black and gold. a true steeler fan is a "steeler" fan. and as far as the pats game goes, i cuss any player who botches a play in a big spot. we need gamers. clutch players. remember friend, i only said we would be 4-2 with ARE at returner. i've moved on; bring on the raiders!

steelcityjameser
10-22-2006, 09:45 PM
holmes has been a good receiver for us... but as far a returning... he has messed things up for us at least 3 times this year.... today he was the reason for our 0-7 start, i think we need to put davenport or reid back there...

i thought reid was hurt. but yeah. i don't care if it's even cedrick, hines, or ike freakin' taylor(a tongue-in-cheek example).

HometownGal
10-22-2006, 10:19 PM
But I agree that somebody should pin Santonio down and put some glue on his hands.

Maybe the Steelers should hire Fred Bilitnekoff as the receivers coach. :thumbsup:

paw-n-maul-u
10-23-2006, 12:00 AM
i dont know if you guys have watched any redskins games this year, but it almost seems like ARE is trying to do TOO much ... everyone hyped him up as such a big offseason acquisition and it almost seems like he is trying wayyyyy too hard to live up to that role ... maybe thats just me ... holmes is dirty when he holds onto the ball and i think he'll only get better ... not to mention we've seen what likeeeeeee .. 2 returns from reid?

X-Terminator
10-23-2006, 12:12 AM
Reid is injured - that's why he was not playing today, for those who didn't know.