PDA

View Full Version : Rooney Upset Over Officiating

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2006, 05:52 AM
Four turnovers set stage for Steelers' 41-38 overtime loss
Monday, October 23, 2006
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

ATLANTA -- The Steelers played another game for the ages yesterday. Only to them, it's getting old. They let a double-digit lead slip away for the second time this season under a mound of turnovers, lost quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to a mild head injury and lost to the Atlanta Falcons, 41-38, in overtime.

Morten Andersen, a 46-year-old kicker who came out of retirement earlier this year, kicked a 32-yard field goal to win it after the Falcons won the coin toss to begin overtime, took the ball and never gave it up.

The Steelers' 2-4 record left at least one starter pessimistic about their chances to make it to the Super Bowl again, and an official's disputed call at the end of regulation that cost them a chance at a victory left their owner fuming.

"It's going to be tough after today's loss, going back to the Super Bowl," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "I'm not saying we can't do it, obviously, but we're making it that much harder on ourselves."

Hines Ward, returning to his home state, had the most productive game of his NFL career with three touchdown receptions and 171 yards receiving. But his Steelers teammates gave the ball away almost as often as Ward caught it and wasted that effort.

Falcons tight end Alge Crumpler caught three of Michael Vick's four touchdown passes, two of them after Steelers turnovers. Atlanta scored its first 28 points after three Steelers fumbles and one onside kick. Still, the Steelers were prepared to line up for a field goal to win it at the end of regulation.

With 25 seconds left, quarterback Charlie Batch completed a 25-yard pass to Ward to Atlanta's 33. The Steelers, with no timeouts left, quickly lined up and Batch spiked the ball with eight seconds to go. Time enough for Jeff Reed to try a 51-yard field goal in the Georgia Dome to win it. But the officials called a 5-yard penalty on Nate Washington for a false start -- they said he flinched at the line -- and by rule 10 seconds were run off to end regulation.

"These officials should be ashamed of themselves," Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said. "That last call, you don't call that kind of call."

Rooney did not limit his criticism of referee Ron Winter's crew to that one call, either. He made reference to "ridiculous calls," including one in which Reed was penalized for tripping Falcons return man Allen Rossum near the end of the first half.

"They said he tripped him," Rooney said. "He got beat out, the guy dodged him, he got faked. He didn't trip him, he [Rossum] ran over him and fell."

Coach Bill Cowher said he did not want to say anything about the flinch call because "I don't feel like giving [the NFL] any more money."

Rooney, though, said, "I don't care. They need to know."

For the second time this season, the Steelers lost a game in which they outgained their opponents. They piled up 473 yards to Atlanta's 399.

They also wasted one of their best passing games in history. Roethlisberger completed 16 of 22 passes for 238 yards, no interceptions and three touchdowns -- one to Ward for 11 yards, one to Heath Miller for a yard and one to Washington for 10. Roethlisberger, though, left midway through the third quarter when he was smacked to the ground after an incompletion by defensive end Chauncey Davis on what appeared to be an illegal helmet-to-helmet hit.

"The league will handle that," Cowher said.

Roethlisberger, who returned to the sideline in the fourth quarter, appeared to be OK after the game, although Cowher said he had no update on the injury.

Batch came on and completed 8 of 13 for 195 yards, two touchdowns of 70 and 17 yards to Ward, the latter with 3:19 left to tie the score. Batch also threw no interceptions, and the quarterbacks combined for 433 yards passing.

But turnovers, Vick and Crumpler killed them. The Steelers contained Vick's passing and running most of the day, but they kept giving him the ball in their zone, and he took advantage of it.

Santonio Holmes fumbled the game's first punt at his 22, and, on the next play, Vick gave Atlanta a 7-0 lead when he passed 22 yards to Crumpler for a touchdown.

After Reed kicked a 28-yard field goal and Roethlisberger threw two touchdown passes to vault the Steelers ahead, 17-7, in the second quarter, Roethlisberger fumbled a snap from Jeff Hartings at his 25. Vick made them pay again when he threw a 3-yard touchdown pass to Crumpler.

Atlanta then pulled an onside kick that went off Steelers safety Tyrone Carter's hands when he was hit by Jimmy Williams. Jerious Norwood recovered for Atlanta at his 49. Vick completed that mission by tossing a 17-yard touchdown pass to Michael Jenkins.

"It happened so fast," Carter said. "I couldn't fair catch it because it hit the ground first. They caught us by surprise. I saw it, but, by the time I got to it, they were all there."

The Steelers completed their grand slam when Willie Parker, who was bottled up all game and managed only 47 yards on 20 carries, lost a fumble midway through the third quarter at his 26. The Falcons made it four Steelers bumbles, four touchdowns when Warrick Dunn ran up the middle for a 1-yard touchdown to end that short series.

"It was a crazy game," Steelers linebacker James Farrior said. "A little bit of everything that could possibly happen happened in that game."

Nevertheless, things looked up for the Steelers, when Batch and Ward struck back immediately. Ward caught a Batch pass at the Falcons' 40 and somehow eluded three defenders the rest of the way to complete a 70-yard score to put the Steelers back in front, 31-28.

But Atlanta answered with a 75-yard drive on six plays with Vick hitting Crumpler for a 31-yard score to go back ahead, and Andersen's 25-yard field goal extended the lead to 38-31.

But the Steelers tied it up, 38-38, quickly on their next series. Batch completed a 44-yard pass to Washington and followed that with a 17-yard touchdown pass to Ward with 3:19 to go.

That set up some final theatrics on a game that will teeter by going down in either infamy or ignominy. The Falcons' Michael Koenen kicked a 56-yard field goal near the end to seemingly win it. But that was waived off because the Steelers had called a time out. Koenen tried it again and missed, but safety Troy Polamalu was penalized for running into the kicker.

Koenen was injured on the play, so Andersen came out and missed, barely, from 52 yards, which set up the final, controversial Steelers plays of overtime.

"I'd have liked to see Jeff get a shot in regulation," guard Alan Faneca said.

It didn't happen, just as much of what they want to accomplish in 2006 is not happening.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06296/732211-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2006, 06:31 AM
In this case, I have to disagree with Rooney. We had plenty of chances to put that game away minus the calls. That game should have been over at halftime. In my opinion (and maybe I was watching a different game), but Jeff Reed did in fact trip Rossum. Plain and simple.

Place the blame where it deserves to be placed. You can't turn the ball over four times (three of those inside our own 30 which led to 21 Falcon points) and expect to win. We handed the Falcons that game on a silver platter and they took advantage of our mistakes. Sounds familiar.

Spidey
10-23-2006, 06:50 AM
Rooney should be directing his anger at Cowher for not having our players focused enough to deliver the goods, there were far too many self-inflicted wounds yesterday to list here!!

stillers4me
Although I agree that we lost the game due to our own mistakes, the officiating has gone from bad to worse. They definitely made some screwy calls yesterday that changed the outcome of the game. Now, I'm not one to whine and blame the refs for losing......but if this trend continues, no football game is going to worth squat. The refs basically can do anything they want. The Rooneys are highly respected in the league. Maybe if they got together with the other owners and waged a formal complaint something would change. It would benefit everybody.

X-Terminator
I thought Reed tripped Rossum on purpose as well - it was a TD-saving move, IMO, and I can't really blame him for doing it.

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2006, 07:05 AM
I thought Reed tripped Rossum on purpose as well - it was a TD-saving move, IMO, and I can't really blame him for doing it.

No doubt. I would want/expect Reed to make that play and take the penalty every time.

stlrtruck
10-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Rooney needs to stop sounding like other team's owners, coaches, and players. Don't blame anyone but your team and/or your coach!! PERIOD!!!

Need4spd
10-23-2006, 08:48 AM
In this case, I have to disagree with Rooney. We had plenty of chances to put that game away minus the calls. That game should have been over at halftime. In my opinion (and maybe I was watching a different game), but Jeff Reed did in fact trip Rossum. Plain and simple.

Place the blame where it deserves to be placed. You can't turn the ball over four times (three of those inside our own 30 which led to 21 Falcon points) and expect to win. We handed the Falcons that game on a silver platter and they took advantage of our mistakes. Sounds familiar.

Unfortunately, I completely agree. :dang:

HometownGal
10-23-2006, 08:57 AM

I agree. I think most pro PKs would have done the same thing in that situation. What I want to know here is - why wasn't there a flag thrown on the hit on Ben? :dang: That was clearly a flagrant helmet to helmet hit after the ball was thrown. There were 2 Atlanta defenders coming in on his head and another one tackling him by his knees in unison. Didn't Chad Brown get a roughing the passer call for knocking Vick down supposedly after a pass was thrown earlier in the game? The biggest problem with NFL refs today (other than being as blind as bats at times) can be summed up in one word....CONSISTENCY. I wish Johnny Grier would come out of retirement - at least he was consistent with his calls.

floodcitygirl
10-23-2006, 09:09 AM
I agree. I think most pro PKs would have done the same thing in that situation. What I want to know here is - why wasn't there a flag thrown on the hit on Ben? :dang: That was clearly a flagrant helmet to helmet hit after the ball was thrown. There were 2 Atlanta defenders coming in on his head and another one tackling him by his knees in unison. Didn't Chad Brown get a roughing the passer call for knocking Vick down supposedly after a pass was thrown earlier in the game? The biggest problem with NFL refs today (other than being as blind as bats at times) can be summed up in one word....CONSISTENCY. I wish Johnny Grier would come out of retirement - at least he was consistent with his calls.I came on here to ask that very question! To my eyes that hit looked very late and helmet first. Why no flag????!!!

19ward86
10-23-2006, 09:09 AM
the refs made a bad call and we lost, nothing else to it.

floodcitygirl
10-23-2006, 09:12 AM

Place the blame where it deserves to be placed. You can't turn the ball over four times (three of those inside our own 30 which led to 21 Falcon points) and expect to win. We handed the Falcons that game on a silver platter and they took advantage of our mistakes. Sounds familiar.I agree that our own mistakes are what cost us the game....no doubt. With that being said, I would like to know your thoughts about that movement call right at the end of regulation time?

SteelersWoman
10-23-2006, 09:26 AM
I agree.

I agree as well. He did trip him on purpose.

why wasn't there a flag thrown on the hit on Ben? :dang: ... Didn't Chad Brown get a roughing the passer call for knocking Vick down supposedly after a pass was thrown earlier in the game?

No one understands why there wasn't a penalty for the late hit--there should've been, you're right, there was one thrown for a late hit on Vick.

The biggest problem with NFL refs today (other than being as blind as bats at times) can be summed up in one word....CONSISTENCY/B]

I've only been watching for a year, but it seems to me that every team gets inconsistent calls made by the refs. It does seem though, that some teams seem to be singled out with a [B]bit more regularity.

There was also someone in another forum that mentioned the clock. Did any of you notice that it didn't stop when one of their guys went out of bounds right before we got the ball at the end of the 4th? And they didn't reset the clock to show that 17 seconds that was lost by not stopping it. That 17 seconds would've given us the chance (even after a 10 second run-off) to make that FG at the end. Someone else rewound the tape and said that the clock was NOT re-set, so that's another mistake by the refs...that one cost us the game if it happened that way. No one from our team/coaches/etc noticed in all the excitement.

Need4spd
10-23-2006, 09:27 AM
To my knowledge, it was a false start by rule. When the other 10 players on the field are set, and someone moves in the manner that Washington did in that instance, that's going to get called almost every time. It's unfortunate because there were 8 seconds on the clock at that point, so the offense could have taken a couple more seconds to get everyone properly set without having to hurry as much as they did. :banging:

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2006, 09:36 AM
Rooney needs to stop sounding like other team's owners, coaches, and players. Don't blame anyone but your team and/or your coach!! PERIOD!!!

I agree. Were there bad calls? Sure. Example: First quarter. Vick deep ball. McFadden with the coverage. McFadden never looked back at the ball and completely raped the Falcon's WR. How that wasn't pass interference I will never know. I have to wonder if the out cry towards the officiating would be this loud if the calls were against the Falcons instead of our beloved Steelers? Eitherway, we should never have put ourselves in the situation to take those penalties.

Excessive celebration. I recall Cowher stating about a two weeks ago that "It will never happen again.". Well, it happened again. Shot ourselves in the foot with penalties (dumb ones) and turnovers. IMO, we have nobody to blame but ourselves for that loss.

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2006, 09:37 AM
To my knowledge, it was a false start by rule. When the other 10 players on the field are set, and someone moves in the manner that Washington did in that instance, that's going to get called almost every time. It's unfortunate because there were 8 seconds on the clock at that point, so the offense could have taken a couple more seconds to get everyone properly set without having to hurry as much as they did. :banging:

Nate did not flinch, he took a full step. Right call from what I saw.

floodcitygirl
10-23-2006, 09:46 AM
I agree that our own mistakes are what cost us the game....no doubt. With that being said, I would like to know your thoughts about that movement call right at the end of regulation time?I guess my question is, was that a good call? I didn't see the movement....there were problems with the screen I was watching.

floodcitygirl
10-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Nate did not flinch, he took a full step. Right call from what I saw.Thanks.

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2006, 09:51 AM
There was also someone in another forum that mentioned the clock.

Speaking of the clock, I noticed on two different occasions when we had the ball the time clock was clearly on zero and there wasn't a delay of game penalty called.

mopartodd
10-23-2006, 09:52 AM
If there is anything to be upset over, it's the lack of discipline this team is showing. The celebration calls, the fumbles, the movement on the line, personal fouls. WTF??? This is the second game this season that has bit this team in the behind.

I think coach Cowher is thinking about joining us here in NC, because he doesn't seem to have his hands on the reigns of this team.

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2006, 09:55 AM
If there is anything to be upset over, it's the lack of discipline this team is showing. The celebration calls, the fumbles, the movement on the line, personal fouls. WTF??? This is the second game this season that has bit this team in the behind.

I think coach Cowher is thinking about joining us here in NC, because he doesn't seem to have his hands on the reigns of this team.

While I agree with those who state Cowher had no control over the three fumbles in yesterday's game, I do blame Cowher for keeping Colclough in there as long as he did in the beginning of the year and it ultimately bit us in the butt against the Bengals.

As for the excessive celebration. Obviously he's not getting through to them.

Overall, I don't completely disagree with you even though I'm sure it's not the popular opinion with Steeler nation. Maybe he is thinking about NC. At the same time, maybe the whole team is thinking about last February. It's seems we have the "we did it last season" type of attitude after every loss and it's going to bite us in the rear. It already is. It's a new season. New teams.

As much as some don't like to hear it or say it, the HC has to take some blame for this teams overall performance.

HometownGal
10-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Speaking of the clock, I noticed on two different occasions when we had the ball the time clock was clearly on zero and there wasn't a delay of game penalty called.

I noticed the clock ticked down to zero before the ball was snapped to Ben on one occasion but didn't catch the other. Good call Sherlock! :wink02: :thumbsup:

Mosca
10-23-2006, 10:01 AM
I came on here to ask that very question! To my eyes that hit looked very late and helmet first. Why no flag????!!!

Cwher's comment: "The league will take care of that." I sort of agree. I thought it was going to be a 15 yard helmet/helmet call, especially after Brown got that 15 yarder for a push. But, they can't see everything.

Tom

steela fan 4eva
10-23-2006, 10:03 AM
turnovers and no running game will put the steelers in the hole everytime. How many games have we gave away this year cuz of turnovers???? to many to count!! Hope Big Ben's mental game is not affected by the hit yesterday. Can u say "hello FLAG"!!! Charlie Batch did good!! Hometown boy in the house!!!!

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2006, 10:04 AM
I noticed the clock ticked down to zero before the ball was snapped to Ben on one occasion but didn't catch the other. Good call Sherlock! :wink02: :thumbsup:

I have my moments. Very few, but I have my moments. :wink02:

Midnightwriter07
10-23-2006, 10:42 AM
Yes, the coach should take SOME of the balme.. is part of his overall receord that either keeps him with a team or canned, but the people who just blame him for everything is obsurd. Everytiem there is a loss, Cowher somehow gets blamed and it has been going on since he got here. Hardly ever is the responsibility put on the players who actually are playing the game and making the mistakes. When I finaly had a chance to jump on this board this morning, I really thought i would see more comments about Parker fumbling the ball, Holmes fumbling, our secondary ( who never seems to get called out for thier aweful play) and last but not least, Troy and Washington getting flagged.

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Minus the one thread, I really don't see Cowher taking all that much heat for this teams performance over the last six weeks on this site. The local media here in Pittsburgh rarely puts any type of blame on Cowher. That also goes for the local sports shows. The day you hear Tunch, Wolf, Bob Pompeani, Bob Smizik, Bob Labriola and Co. throw some blame in Cowher's direction it will be a first.

By no means am I putting the full blame on Cowher, that's just crazy, but he does deserve some blame. Like I said though, some simply want to put the full blame on the players.

SteelerFanInCA
10-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Reed clearly tripped him. I don't know what game Rooney was watching but it was the right call on the tripping penalty.

mopartodd
10-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Clearly Cowher is not responsible for ALL that has happened. But the plays that involve issues of conduct and discipline are of concern, such as the celebration penalties that continue to be called. "Tell me Hines Ward didn't know better than to join in yesterday."

I hope Coach Cowher and the rest of the staff drive home the importance of discipline.

Btrice
10-23-2006, 01:23 PM
Reed clearly tripped him. I don't know what game Rooney was watching but it was the right call on the tripping penalty.

No way. Reed tripped himself getting faked out of his ass by a superior athlete.

How many of you all have actually played ball? Especially against guys where the skill delta between them and you is as large as it is between a very good punt returner and a kicker?

The officiating was garbage in this game, but it is not the reason we lost, neither were the turnovers, they were ALL in the first half and we came away still leading at the half. Unless you make the argument that the defense was prematurely fatigued because of the time of possesion only during the first half was lopsided (which unless you talk to the actual players not one person on here can make that determination) the defense is what lost us this game.

Jeremy
10-23-2006, 01:32 PM
The only thing that upset me was the helmet to helmet hit. I don't believe the defender was trying to go hth with Ben, but that's how it happened and the flag needs to be thrown.

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2006, 01:33 PM
The only thing that upset me was the helmet to helmet hit. I don't believe the defender was trying to go hth with Ben, but that's how it happened and the flag needs to be thrown.

The running into the kicker call was pretty weak in my opinion. But like I said (and the majority of Steeler fans on this board), you can't turn over the ball that many times which led to 21 points and expect to win many ball games.

Jacknut
10-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Blaming the officials after losing a game in which you turn over the ball 4 times is missing the point.

Jeremy
10-23-2006, 01:41 PM
Oh yeah, we lost that game fair and square.

But that doesn't let the poor officiating off the hook.

HometownGal
10-23-2006, 01:41 PM
No way. Reed tripped himself getting faked out of his ass by a superior athlete.

How many of you all have actually played ball? Especially against guys where the skill delta between them and you is as large as it is between a very good punt returner and a kicker?

The officiating was garbage in this game, but it is not the reason we lost, neither were the turnovers, they were ALL in the first half and we came away still leading at the half. Unless you make the argument that the defense was prematurely fatigued because of the time of possesion only during the first half was lopsided (which unless you talk to the actual players not one person on here can make that determination) the defense is what lost us this game.

I totally disagree. If you watch the replay, when Reed went down, he deliberately rolled partially over and put out his leg to trip the return man to save what surely would have been a TD on that play. I applaud his micro-second decision to do what he did.

I also totally disagree that the defense is solely responsible for this loss. There are enough opinions on this very subject already in this forum, so I'm not going to go back and rehash what others have stated, which opinions I agree with. We're not all going to look at this loss in the same way and that is fine - everyone is entitled to their own opinions and Monday morning QBing with regard to the whys and becauses of yesterday's loss.

Btrice
10-23-2006, 01:49 PM
I totally disagree. If you watch the replay, when Reed went down, he deliberately rolled partially over and put out his leg to trip the return man to save what surely would have been a TD on that play. I applaud his micro-second decision to do what he did.

I also totally disagree that the defense is solely responsible for this loss. There are enough opinions on this very subject already in this forum, so I'm not going to go back and rehash what others have stated, which opinions I agree with. We're not all going to look at this loss in the same way and that is fine - everyone is entitled to their own opinions and Monday morning QBing with regard to the whys and becauses of yesterday's loss.

Fine. I am not going to get into this argument again either. Although I do want to point out a mistake I made: I said all our turnovers happened in the first half, I must have blacked out during Parker's fumble in the 2nd half. (Truth is the play by play listing on ESPN.com is all frigging hosed up and I had a few in me by that point in the game)

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Its on the players..........Then need to hold onto the ball...........and our defense......our great defense.........fell apart late in the game

dSharp
10-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Couple points/echos:

1. I don't live in PA anymore so I only read what I can find (thumbs up to this site for all the articles that get posted), but I do remember when I did live there, every other article was blaming Cowher for something. The guy goes out and wins games every year. He may fall short a season here or there but he's has to be one the top 5-10 coaches in the league. I think the media may be less willing to bash Cowher because his record speaks for itself. Shit happens, but Cowher ALWAYS finds a way to right the ship somehow, someway. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like this is a year he's been able to do that, yet.

2. Hines knows better than that.. I think he was just excited. That's no excuse but I mean.. come on Hines.. ya gotta know better.

3. Question: Did ANYONE ELSE see Nate Washington looking at the sideline ref asking if he was lined up correctly and then move forward AFTER HE ASKED??? For ****s sake, if the side ref told him to move up, then how in the hell can they call a false start? THAT'S why Nate was so pissed on the sideline. He looked right at the ref, pointed to the ref, stared for a second longer and then moved forward as he looked forward. Maybe that's not what actually happened, but that is DEFINITLY WHAT WAS SHOWN ON TV.

4. Our pass defense has SUCKED all year. I don't know about you, but back when we were playing the Patriots every ****ing year in the playoffs, and we'd punt with 2 minutes left in the game, Brady would suddenly slice us to death. That's how I feel watching us on passing downs against every team this year. Maybe we're not in the zones fast enough or something, because it seems like when people throw on us, they are pretty wide open when they catch it, save a few plays here and there. But it's like swiss cheese in the secondary this year. Something isn't right. Mora said we were the perfect team to play, yea, because we can't defend the pass, so they decided to let Vick pass and shut everyone up for a week or two.

5. Holmes is breaking my heart. I've been defending him on more than a few boards and he just keeps fumbling. Yea, defenders are making a few plays on the ball as well, but you have got to start protecting the ball. I'd rather have him secure the ball and run for 10 yards than run for 25 and then fumble the ****ing rock. I hope he gets that fixed.. he's got too much potential to have THIS be his downfall.

6. They need to circle the wagons. That's all there is to it. We have a great team.. a championship team. I don't care if we lost ARE, Hope, Kimo, and the Bus. We are still a good team, and we're still plenty capable of getting to the playoffs. :tt02:

They just have to stop turning it over.

:tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

Da Steeler Soprano
10-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Quit worrying about Reed's so-called tripping penelty. That call had little or no outcome on the game, the bull sh*t call that cost us the game was the "false-start" that ran the clock off. Even if Nate did flinch you do not make that call after both teams played one hell of a game. The players decide a game not the refs. I am sick and tired of the refs in this league determining outcomes in games and every fan for every team can say the same also. Also why the hell would anyone in here take the side of some stupid ass zebras over Mr. Rooney, Cowher, and the rest of our team regardless of anything!?

steela fan 4eva
10-23-2006, 02:12 PM
Yes Reed meant to trip him. if he didn't he would have scored. I just wanted to say that yesterday was the first time I have seen Cowher fired up. He has been quite all season. He needs to do more of that. I think the players feed off of that stuff!!!

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Also why the hell would anyone in here take the side of some stupid ass zebras over Mr. Rooney, Cowher, and the rest of our team regardless of anything!?

Well, maybe because some Steeler fans don't always feel that Cowher and in this case, Rooney are always right. Reed did trip Rossum. It was plain as day. And Washington not only flinched, but I recall a full step.

Obviously, if Reed did not trip Rossum and Washington was lined up correctly, I would say that Rooney is correct. I'm not going to blindly agree with somebody just because they are who they are nor am I going to disagree with somebody just because they are who they are. I don't think that's a bad thing.

steela fan 4eva
10-23-2006, 02:19 PM
I love that quote

HometownGal
10-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Fine. I am not going to get into this argument again either. Although I do want to point out a mistake I made: I said all our turnovers happened in the first half, I must have blacked out during Parker's fumble in the 2nd half. (Truth is the play by play listing on ESPN.com is all frigging hosed up and I had a few in me by that point in the game)

LMAO!! Understood. :smile:

cbalke
10-23-2006, 03:16 PM
I agree. I think most pro PKs would have done the same thing in that situation. What I want to know here is - why wasn't there a flag thrown on the hit on Ben? :dang: That was clearly a flagrant helmet to helmet hit after the ball was thrown. There were 2 Atlanta defenders coming in on his head and another one tackling him by his knees in unison. Didn't Chad Brown get a roughing the passer call for knocking Vick down supposedly after a pass was thrown earlier in the game? The biggest problem with NFL refs today (other than being as blind as bats at times) can be summed up in one word....CONSISTENCY. I wish Johnny Grier would come out of retirement - at least he was consistent with his calls.

completely agree.

i'd like to add - weren't the 'horsecollar tackles' supposed to be called more this year? i counted no less than 3 by atlanta in that game, including one that cost us a first down in the second quarter, i believe.

i saw that in other games, too. guys were grabbing nothing but shoulder pads in back of teh neck and bringing people down from behind like that. didn't the nfl make such a big deal about this in the offseason?

for crying out loud, it's like the nfl has decided to follow the nhl's system of referee-ing. sucks.

emmysDAD
10-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Reed tripped him. Reed Intended to trip him, I don't think it was officating that cost us the game, it was the fumbles in our zone, allowing them to capitalize on those turnovers, and basicly allowing to get into the game to begin with....now I am still not worried, unles we lose to Oakland, then I will be owrried and Pissed...

Livinginthe past
10-23-2006, 04:12 PM
I find it surprising that Rooney would make this type of overt attack on the officiating.

Maybe he thinks following the Colts way of doing things is better ie work out how you got beat then try and implement laws to make that tactic illegal (or re-emphasised).

I think the roughing the kicker call was harsh on Polamalu but anyone who thinks Reed didnt deliberately trip the PR for Atlanta needs their rose tinted glasses surgically removed.

Im glad Kraft didnt resort to this when he got the rough end of the officiating stick in Denver.

NM

Blitzburgh
10-23-2006, 04:26 PM
I find it surprising that Rooney would make this type of overt attack on the officiating.

NM

I don't ... here's why: :coffee:

In the circles of influence within the league, Rooney is known as the father of ethics and integrity. Other coaches have come out in the last few weeks and bashed some of the terrible calls we've been seeing, but their voice is not being heard. If Rooney, on the other hand, says something .... people WILL listen.

I don't think his comments were totally directed at the Steeler game yesterday even if they sounded that way. What he's saying to the league is, "Hey, let's start getting it right here ... if there is any agenda behind some of these calls .... I want it stopped now!"

Livinginthe past
10-23-2006, 04:58 PM
I don't ... here's why: :coffee:

In the circles of influence within the league, Rooney is known as the father of ethics and integrity. Other coaches have come out in the last few weeks and bashed some of the terrible calls we've been seeing, but their voice is not being heard. If Rooney, on the other hand, says something .... people WILL listen.

I don't think his comments were totally directed at the Steeler game yesterday even if they sounded that way. What he's saying to the league is, "Hey, let's start getting it right here ... if there is any agenda behind some of these calls .... I want it stopped now!"

So the timing of the outburst was co-incidentally right after the Steelers ended up on the wrong side of a few decisions?

The Seahawks came in for a great deal of stick for making an issue of the SB officiating - personally I think they had a case (but thats an old topic).

We do have problems with standards of officiating, that get highlighted with ever improving technology - it would just help if Rooney had said his part before the Steelers got beat yesterday - it just came off like sour grapes.

NM

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 05:22 PM
So the timing of the outburst was co-incidentally right after the Steelers ended up on the wrong side of a few decisions?

The Seahawks came in for a great deal of stick for making an issue of the SB officiating - personally I think they had a case (but thats an old topic).

We do have problems with standards of officiating, that get highlighted with ever improving technology - it would just help if Rooney had said his part before the Steelers got beat yesterday - it just came off like sour grapes.

NM

Wow LITP, why take shots at Dan Rooney? If you have beef with certain Steelers fans thats different. But can you please not smack Dan Rooney. Football is an emtional game and maybe Mr. Rooney was just upset after the tough loss yesterday. I just think we should cut a man that has done alot of good for the NFL some slack.

Livinginthe past
10-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Wow LITP, why take shots at Dan Rooney? If you have beef with certain Steelers fans thats different. But can you please not smack Dan Rooney. Football is an emtional game and maybe Mr. Rooney was just upset after the tough loss yesterday. I just think we should cut a man that has done alot of good for the NFL some slack.

Sure Rooney has done some great things for football - but that doesnt mean he gets a free pass regardless of his actions.

Im not trying to make out he is a plague to the NFL or anything crazy like that - im just saying that he reacted emotionally to yesterdays game and that his thoughts certainly weren't intended to improve everyones lot in the NFL.

Again, he's not a bad guy - but he aint no angel either.

NM

Jeremy
10-23-2006, 05:27 PM

This is what happens when you argue with people who don't know much about the history of the sport they root for.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Sure Rooney has done some great things for football - but that doesnt mean he gets a free pass regardless of his actions.

Im not trying to make out he is a plague to the NFL or anything crazy like that - im just saying that he reacted emotionally to yesterdays game and that his thoughts certainly weren't intended to improve everyones lot in the NFL.

Again, he's not a bad guy - but he aint no angel either.

NM

Never said Mr. Rooney was an angel. He offered his opinion of the officiating. Is that why the Steelers lost? Hell no. The Steelers being careless with the football and the defense making Vick look like Steve Young is why the Steelers lost. I was just reading some of your posts and seems you are alittle angered. You really havn't taken alot of shots at the Steelers in the past and seems you like rubbing this 2-4 start in our faces. Now don't take this the wrong way. I don't know the whole story. I don't post on here much anymore.

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Griping about the calls is for losers. I am disappointed to hear it from Dan Rooney, especially since the calls did not only appear to be correct but certainly defensible (as opposed to the inexplicable review of Holmes catch late in the first half, but since that was not overturned it was no big deal). The call on Washington for movement was ticky-tack but correct; the tripping penalty was a no brainer to me.

IMHO Dan Rooney knows he has more a lot yesterdays than tomorrows in terms of having a team with Super Bowl quality talent and he is incredibly upset that what I think he knows is the last year of the Cowher era is ending with a team throwing away its season. His outburst yesterday reflects that.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 05:37 PM
I agree griping about calls is lame. But I'm willing to cut slack to Dan Rooney. The Rooney Family has done alot to make the NFL what is today.

Preacher
10-23-2006, 05:42 PM
I agree that our own mistakes are what cost us the game....no doubt. With that being said, I would like to know your thoughts about that movement call right at the end of regulation time?

I see it as the same as the push off rule called against Seattle in the SB. It is in the rule book. The rule was violated. The call must be made. REGARDLESS OF CONSEQUENCES.

The only people responsible for our loss yesterday was the PITTSBURH STEELERS.

We are telling Seattle and Bengal fans to stop whining. We need to practice what we preach.

If there is a ref problem, Rooney should have picked up a phone, and made a PERSONAL CALL to the league. Not done in public.

Atlanta Dan
I agree that Dan Rooney should be cut some slack since his outburst was so uncharacteristic, but losing yesterday cannot compare to losing a Super Bowl and the Seahawks have taken huge grief for complaining about some odd calls in that game.

Stlrs4Life
Rooney should be directing his anger at Cowher for not having our players focused enough to deliver the goods, there were far too many self-inflicted wounds yesterday to list here!!

Defiantely agree. Rooney shouldn't have said nothing.

Livinginthe past
10-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Never said Mr. Rooney was an angel. He offered his opinion of the officiating. Is that why the Steelers lost? Hell no. The Steelers being careless with the football and the defense making Vick look like Steve Young is why the Steelers lost. I was just reading some of your posts and seems you are alittle angered. You really havn't taken alot of shots at the Steelers in the past and seems you like rubbing this 2-4 start in our faces. Now don't take this the wrong way. I don't know the whole story. I don't post on here much anymore.

Sure the 2-4 thing is coming up quite a bit, but im keeping it in the Blast Furnace - just giving a couple of the guys on here a reality check.

Again, all I offered was an honest opinion on Rooney's outburst - he sounded like a typical fan might (which I guess is what he is) and I dont really hold it against him.

But I think its pretty lame for some posters to suggest that he has the interests of the NFL as a whole at heart when he made those comments - and doing it publicly through the media is not the way to achieve results.

On the other hand, if anyone can get the issue of refereeing looked into id say Rooney would be our man.

NM

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 05:46 PM
I agree that Dan Rooney should be cut some slack since his outburst was so uncharacteristic, but losing yesterday cannot compare to losing a Super Bowl and the Seahawks have taken huge grief for complaining about some odd calls in that game.

Dan, the Seahawks fans did have some legit complaints but it just seemed they kept complaining for weeks and months after the Super Bowl. Let it go will you. I'm sure a week from now Mr. Rooney will have forgotten the questionable calls (in his mind) in the Falcons game. To me I didn't have no complaints about the officials. I have complaints with the Steelers turning the ball over and making Vick look like Steve Young.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Sure the 2-4 thing is coming up quite a bit, but im keeping it in the Blast Furnace - just giving a couple of the guys on here a reality check.

Again, all I offered was an honest opinion on Rooney's outburst - he sounded like a typical fan might (which I guess is what he is) and I dont really hold it against him.

But I think its pretty lame for some posters to suggest that he has the interests of the NFL as a whole at heart when he made those comments - and doing it publicly through the media is not the way to achieve results.

On the other hand, if anyone can get the issue of refereeing looked into id say Rooney would be our man.

NM

Ok, LITP like said bro I don't know the whole story I havn't been around here much. You know I don't have no problems with you and still don't. I always respect what you have to say even if I don't agree with you all the time.

Livinginthe past
10-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Ok, LITP like said bro I don't know the whole story I havn't been around here much. You know I don't have no problems with you and still don't. I always respect what you have to say even if I don't agree with you all the time.

Hey,

Likewise 32 - you dont have to agree to respect what the other guy is saying - hopefully we will see a little more of you now...??

NM

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey,

Likewise 32 - you dont have to agree to respect what the other guy is saying - hopefully we will see a little more of you now...??

NM

I'll be posting from time to time. But it seems the inmates are running the prison anymore around here.

SB40Stealers
10-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Well I must say, I only registered to read this thread and was expecting a bunch of whining about those calls. I wasn't planning on saying anything but reading the comments here its amazing to me most people realize that a) the calls were good and b) the steelers mistakes, not the officials, determined the outcome of the game. Kudos to those objective fans.

steelcurtain09
10-23-2006, 07:33 PM
I think the roughing the kicker call was harsh on Polamalu but

HARSH!!! HARSH!!
u watch the clip. Polamalu lunges is horizontally perpendicular to the kicker. the kicker feels Polamalu down below him and falls over witour Polamau even touchin him. harsh doesnt even begin to describe it. tht call even had some influence on the game. we get the ball 5 yards closer and have more plays we can run to get in field goal range
also. on the false start penalty I will agree it was a step but tht he was lookin at the ref to figure out if he was in line. regardless of tht fact. with the 1 clip i saw i thought that after the ball was snapped the flag was thrown and the play was whistled dead there were still 12 seconds left on the clock and i thought "whew at least the clock wont expire if it is a false start". then a few seconds b4 the call was announced later 4 seconds ticked off the clock to make 8 seconds. then they made the call and for the next 10 minutes i screamed "there were 12 seconds left" at the tv if u can get the clip to prove me wrong i would appreciate it but until then i will stick by my story. the Steelers could get their players on the field and kick the field goal to take the lead and win.

X-Terminator
10-23-2006, 08:34 PM

Actually, the officials will give you an extra second after the play clock hits zero to get to play off before throwing the flag. So it isn't anything unusual.

Preacher
10-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Actually, the officials will give you an extra second after the play clock hits zero to get to play off before throwing the flag. So it isn't anything unusual.

I not sure if it is the ref giving them the extra time... or just the physical reality of seeing the time count down to zero... then looking at the QB.. and refocusing to see if the ball is snapped. I think that accounts for the extra second or so. Though I do remember in the playoffs against the Browns in 02 that the clock seemed to be at 00 for a couple seconds.

Of course, that is a Steeler fan talking about my team in a playoff... Time seemed to be shortened and lengthened at that time... Browns should have been penalized every play... just because they are the Browns.

I.C. Lights
10-23-2006, 11:16 PM
Ok. Did anyone actually hear Mr. Rooney's comments? Do we know if this was really outburst, as so many say, or just a few comments taken out of context? I'm sorry, but I just can't see Mr. Rooney pulling a Dennis Green if that's what some of you are insinuating.

augustashark
10-23-2006, 11:48 PM

Yea, Cowher fumbled the damn ball 3 f**king times! What the hell is going on with him!

Hold onto the damn ball BILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His ass needs to be benched NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang:

Btrice
10-24-2006, 11:16 AM
HARSH!!! HARSH!!
u watch the clip. Polamalu lunges is horizontally perpendicular to the kicker. the kicker feels Polamalu down below him and falls over witour Polamau even touchin him. harsh doesnt even begin to describe it. tht call even had some influence on the game. we get the ball 5 yards closer and have more plays we can run to get in field goal range
also. on the false start penalty I will agree it was a step but tht he was lookin at the ref to figure out if he was in line. regardless of tht fact. with the 1 clip i saw i thought that after the ball was snapped the flag was thrown and the play was whistled dead there were still 12 seconds left on the clock and i thought "whew at least the clock wont expire if it is a false start". then a few seconds b4 the call was announced later 4 seconds ticked off the clock to make 8 seconds. then they made the call and for the next 10 minutes i screamed "there were 12 seconds left" at the tv if u can get the clip to prove me wrong i would appreciate it but until then i will stick by my story. the Steelers could get their players on the field and kick the field goal to take the lead and win.

That is really interesting. I wish I had the game on Tivo and could go back and see. One thing I dont see happening quite as often anymore is the refs resetting time (unless of course they just dont annouce it every time anymore). A couple of games I've seen this year, not Steeler games, the clock ticked down when it shouldn't and wasn't reset at all.

Of course there is too much zebra love around this board for anybody who might have the game on tape to help you out, even just for curiousity sake. I haven't seen one person yet that is blaming the loss solely on the refs, all I see is people complaining about the refs, yet all the zebra lovers here feel the need to put words in everybody elses mouths and comdemn them for saying "the refs made us lose". F-in broken records. Bandwagon this, no class that, blah blah blah blah :rolleyes: Just look at the post above me, Spidey said that Cowher didn't have the guys focused (as in making stupid mistakes, like the celebration, etc) then Greg comes in and quotes his post (which is over 29 hours old) and completely misses the whole point. double- :rolleyes:

HometownGal
10-24-2006, 11:50 AM
That is really interesting. I wish I had the game on Tivo and could go back and see. One thing I dont see happening quite as often anymore is the refs resetting time (unless of course they just dont annouce it every time anymore). A couple of games I've seen this year, not Steeler games, the clock ticked down when it shouldn't and wasn't reset at all.

Of course there is too much zebra love around this board for anybody who might have the game on tape to help you out, even just for curiousity sake. I haven't seen one person yet that is blaming the loss solely on the refs, all I see is people complaining about the refs, yet all the zebra lovers here feel the need to put words in everybody elses mouths and comdemn them for saying "the refs made us lose". F-in broken records. Bandwagon this, no class that, blah blah blah blah :rolleyes: Just look at the post above me, Spidey said that Cowher didn't have the guys focused (as in making stupid mistakes, like the celebration, etc) then Greg comes in and quotes his post (which is over 29 hours old) and completely misses the whole point. double- :rolleyes:

Btrice - we all have different opinions on this game and who to point the finger at, whether it be the refs, Cowher, SanHo, the D, the Falcs' mascot, etc., etc., etc. I think for the most part, we've all engaged in respectful and healthy debate on this topic which there is nothing wrong with - this is a board of opinions after all. If we all agreed with each other all of the time, playing Tiddlywinks or shooting spitballs would be more exciting.

Zebra love? Where are you getting that assumption from, just curious? Is it because some share a differing opinion as to the validity of the refs' calls on Sunday? Considering that most Steelers fans found the Seahawks fans' never-ending drama regarding the refs' calls in the SB over-exaggerated and deplorable, I would think it would be quite hypocritical of any fan who expressed outrage at the Seahawks fans' behavior to blame the refs for Sunday's loss or any loss for that matter.

I don't blame any one person or unit for Sunday's loss - it was a team loss across the board, imho. Other than the celebration in the endzone after Nate's TD (a discipline faux pas that a HC should never allow to happen), I rarely ever question any of Cowher's decisions - that is why he is and has been paid the big moola to be the Steelers' field general for the past 15 seasons. It is easy for any fan to Monday morning QB a play, a game plan or a decision, but we're not down there on the field or up in the booth to make a 100% sound judgment on any play or decision made during a game. We can watch replay and make judgment calls on what we feel went wrong after the fact, but in the long run - it doesn't change the outcome of the game, does it? As I've stated in another thread, Cowher can carve out what he feels is a solid game plan, he can attempt to work out the kinks on the practice field, he can review game film with his team and coaches to see where the problems exist, he can rev the players up pre-game and bust their chops at halftime or post-game but he isn't the one out there on the field making those plays. He can lead a horse (or in this case a team of horses) to water, but he can't make them drink - that is each and every player's own responsibility to the team. Just my opinion here.

augustashark
10-24-2006, 11:54 AM

What the Hell are you talking about????????????

You can not be that dense. Listen lady, I don't know why you want to pick fights but you are barking up the wrong tree! Missed the whole point? The only thing I missed is how they let you become a member here.:wave:

Haiku_Dirtt
10-24-2006, 12:41 PM
We handed the Falcons that game on a silver platter and they took advantage of our mistakes. Sounds familiar.

:coffee: :banging: :coffee: This Super Bowl hangover is starting to feel like the last one with too much Herradura.

Btrice
10-24-2006, 01:29 PM
Btrice - we all have different opinions on this game and who to point the finger at, whether it be the refs, Cowher, SanHo, the D, the Falcs' mascot, etc., etc., etc. I think for the most part, we've all engaged in respectful and healthy debate on this topic which there is nothing wrong with - this is a board of opinions after all. If we all agreed with each other all of the time, playing Tiddlywinks or shooting spitballs would be more exciting.

Zebra love? Where are you getting that assumption from, just curious? Is it because some share a differing opinion as to the validity of the refs' calls on Sunday? Considering that most Steelers fans found the Seahawks fans' never-ending drama regarding the refs' calls in the SB over-exaggerated and deplorable, I would think it would be quite hypocritical of any fan who expressed outrage at the Seahawks fans' behavior to blame the refs for Sunday's loss or any loss for that matter.

I don't blame any one person or unit for Sunday's loss - it was a team loss across the board, imho. Other than the celebration in the endzone after Nate's TD (a discipline faux pas that a HC should never allow to happen), I rarely ever question any of Cowher's decisions - that is why he is and has been paid the big moola to be the Steelers' field general for the past 15 seasons. It is easy for any fan to Monday morning QB a play, a game plan or a decision, but we're not down there on the field or up in the booth to make a 100% sound judgment on any play or decision made during a game. We can watch replay and make judgment calls on what we feel went wrong after the fact, but in the long run - it doesn't change the outcome of the game, does it? As I've stated in another thread, Cowher can carve out what he feels is a solid game plan, he can attempt to work out the kinks on the practice field, he can review game film with his team and coaches to see where the problems exist, he can rev the players up pre-game and bust their chops at halftime or post-game but he isn't the one out there on the field making those plays. He can lead a horse (or in this case a team of horses) to water, but he can't make them drink - that is each and every player's own responsibility to the team. Just my opinion here.

I was not including you in my post, I agree with you, there were a lot of reasons why we lost the game. Most of the people on here are acting like the people pointing a finger at the refs are saying that is the ONLY reason why we lost. I have yet to see anybody complaining about the refs take it that far. That is what I was referring to. Not comprehending people's posts and then calling them bandwagon or some other BS. Its like elitism without justification.

-------

And to Greg Norman, you sir, are an idiot. You quote a person's post from the first page who made a comment about Cowher not controlling his team, and then make a sarcastic, flippant comment about Cowher being the one fumbling the ball. I was using you as an example of some of the complete f-in idiots that are on this board, and your last post just adds to the evidence. You have absolutely NO comprehension skills whatsoever. There are some great people on this board so I don't plan on leaving (though I'm sure this post will get me invited to a complimentary temp ban), but that sure as hell doesn't mean I am not going to call you out on moronic posts.

augustashark
10-24-2006, 05:55 PM
I was not including you in my post, I agree with you, there were a lot of reasons why we lost the game. Most of the people on here are acting like the people pointing a finger at the refs are saying that is the ONLY reason why we lost. I have yet to see anybody complaining about the refs take it that far. That is what I was referring to. Not comprehending people's posts and then calling them bandwagon or some other BS. Its like elitism without justification.

-------

And to Greg Norman, you sir, are an idiot. You quote a person's post from the first page who made a comment about Cowher not controlling his team, and then make a sarcastic, flippant comment about Cowher being the one fumbling the ball. I was using you as an example of some of the complete f-in idiots that are on this board, and your last post just adds to the evidence. You have absolutely NO comprehension skills whatsoever. There are some great people on this board so I don't plan on leaving (though I'm sure this post will get me invited to a complimentary temp ban), but that sure as hell doesn't mean I am not going to call you out on moronic posts.

CALM DOWN LADY!!!! I have no idea why you're so upset with me. Have you taken your zoloft? If not then you need to take it NOW! I don't want you to leave, you bring me humor in a way only you can.:wave:

83-Steelers-43
10-24-2006, 06:01 PM
I think we should all sit back, relax and have a snickers bar......

:whistle: "Happy peanuts soar over chocolate covered mountaintops and waterfalls of caramel. Prancing nougat in a meadow sings a song of satisfaction to the world" :whistle:

Btrice
10-24-2006, 06:44 PM

:whistle: "Happy peanuts soar over chocolate covered mountaintops and waterfalls of caramel. Prancing nougat in a meadow sings a song of satisfaction to the world" :whistle:

LOL :sofunny:

BTW Greg, why do you keep calling me lady?

augustashark
10-24-2006, 06:46 PM
LOL :sofunny:

BTW Greg, why do you keep calling me lady?

ahhh.......Because you are. Correct?

stillers4me
10-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Obviously not..........:popcorn:

But then everybody keeps calling me dude, bro, and man. :hunch:

floodcitygirl
10-24-2006, 08:10 PM

:whistle: "Happy peanuts soar over chocolate covered mountaintops and waterfalls of caramel. Prancing nougat in a meadow sings a song of satisfaction to the world" :whistle:Ok.....that made me happy! :yummy:

Btrice
10-25-2006, 01:14 AM
ahhh.......Because you are. Correct?

Far from it.

X-Terminator
10-25-2006, 02:24 AM

The icing on the cake of a great evening! :sofunny:

Elvis
10-25-2006, 07:35 AM
:tt02: :tt02: Well.. in my opinion the refs didnt cost this game with the Falcons... our turnovers is what cost us this game.. they have killed us all year long and now that Ben was close to being back to normal he gets hurt again.. but we will be ok... just be patient... will we make the playoffs.... It is yet to be seen... but I dont think so..unless something happens to the Ravens or Bungals:chicken:

steelcurtain09
10-25-2006, 05:10 PM

little late but

THE WOOOORRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLDDDD
(said with wonder and awe)

Lambertfan
10-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Tell the whole organization to shut up and play football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banging: :banging: :banging: