PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cowher:North Carolina instead NC State??

Ambridge
10-23-2006, 01:08 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/college_football/20061022-1829-fbc-ncarolina-bunting.html

As crazy as it sounds I figured someone might as well throw this out there.
I doubt Bill Cowher would go into the college ranks if he left after this season and his name has been mentioned as a possible replacement for Chuck Amato at NC State but all of a sudden there's an opening for Head Football Coach at UNC.

Let the wild speculations begin.

Paul Pyrch
10-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Sure wouldn't surprise me at all. I really think Cower is gone after this year.

HometownGal
10-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Sure wouldn't surprise me at all. I really think Cower is gone after this year.

Naaaaw. I think Cowher stays one more season and honors his contract with the Rooneys. In addition to being a superb coach, he's an honorable man.

stlrtruck
10-23-2006, 01:46 PM
If he's gone after this year, he should have left on the podium in Detroit like Jerome did. He could have saved us the mediocricy he is accepting from the players!

Paul Pyrch
10-23-2006, 01:48 PM
YEP! I agree that Cower is an honorable man, etc. but let's wait and see who is correct. I wish he would stay but I truly think he will be gone after this season.

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2006, 05:48 PM
As an ACC alum, I can state North Carolina and North Carolina State cannot compete with the top programs in their own conference let alone the top powers nationwide. No matter the star power of the coach, you need a history of being a power program to compete for national championships (just ask Steve Spurrier), which would be the only lure for Cowher.
I cannot imagine Cowher hungers to match coaching wits with Chan Gailey and Ralph Friedgen in order to play in a bowl game in Shreveport the week between Christmas and New Years.

The only marquee progarm that is opening up a HC job that is worthy of Cowher's talent & reputation is Miami and I cannot see him going there so long as his wife is living in Raleigh.
If Cowher coaches next year (which I doubt) it will be in Pittsburgh

Cowher can make far more in the pros than he can at any NCAA program - if he leaves the Steelers my bet is he does some TV, waits until his youngest goes off to college, and comes back for a mega-buck contract with another NFL team.

ncoolong
10-24-2006, 07:49 AM
Naaaaw. I think Cowher stays one more season and honors his contract with the Rooneys. In addition to being a superb coach, he's an honorable man.

YES! Thank you! Someone gets it! Cowher's from Crafton, grew up watching this team, knowing exactly the kind of ownership he was working with. They gave him a chance to possibly be considered for the Hall of Fame. While I don't think he will end his career with the Steelers, I don't think he's going to bail when he has a year left on his contract. He will fufill his agreement.

Tim
10-24-2006, 01:12 PM
As an ACC alum, I can state North Carolina and North Carolina State cannot compete with the top programs in their own conference let alone the top powers nationwide.

The problem with college of late is that they don't have any patience. College teams require very precise building because players come and go so quickly. At best you get a guy for 4 playable seasons. And the better they are, the less time you have them.

College teams require recruiting and prospective players need to know they're going not just to a stable coaching environment, but one that's able to showcase their talents. It used to be that parents would be happy to see their kids graduate, but that's not the focus any longer. For better or worse, if your kid is a good football player, you don't just want them to succeed at the college level, but have a good shot at the pros as well.

IMO, you're not going to get that if you're rotating coaching staffs every 2 years because they didn't give you the perfect season, or a 8, 9, or 10 win season, or that bowl game you wanted. If you're not prepared to give a coach at least 4 seasons to build a program, your school shouldn't even be in the football business.

As for Cowher. I hope he stays, but since I work here at NC State, I'd sure wouldn't mind running into him around on campus from time to time ;)

I HIGHLY doubt he'd coach for UNC.

steeler dude
10-24-2006, 01:17 PM
if cowher goes after this year it would have to be agreed upon with owner dan rooney i think his contract has another year on it. with that being said i think it could be his last year seeing that ken whisenhunt turned down the raiders offer for head coach and pasted on a number of other interviews with others teams. so if cowher leaves and i hope he dosent i will be ok with whisenhunt