PDA

View Full Version : BEN REPORT: CONCUSSION

Blitzburgh
10-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Not saying how long he'll be out ... my guess is that they'll sit him a week. :banging:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2636033

HometownGal
10-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the heads-up Blitz. That is what I thought had happened to Ben - he looked totally dazed when he came off the field and especially when he was wheeled off the field on the cart. The word in Pittsburgh is that Cowher will elaborate more on Ben's injury and his status for Sunday's game vs. the Raiders tomorrow at his weekly press conference.

Mikee
10-23-2006, 02:39 PM
At least we have Batch as a backup. I'm confident he will do a great job. Get well Ben!

stlrtruck
10-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Depending on the severity, it's possible he could play. I think he can play, you let him play. Unless he gets dangerously stupid with his choice of passes, then sit em.

ch33ky_chikk
10-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Does anyone have a link to a clip of the hit on Big Ben?

emmysDAD
10-23-2006, 02:56 PM
So should would be concerned? I mean the man hit his head in June, and now another concussion, in less than six months...Head injuries worry me...

MACH1
10-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Next week would be a good game for him to sit out against jokeland. I think batch will fill in nicely for him and do a great job.
:tt02: :tt02:

Blitzburgh
10-23-2006, 03:00 PM
There's no way in hell Cowher will put Ben in and risk a much more severe consiquence.

Think about it, on the road ... in the Black Hole no less .... with a bunch of hungry street thugs looking to beat up on a dinged up QB as a way to get the win they so desperately need.

no way he plays ... that's foolish man's talk.

emmysDAD
10-23-2006, 03:32 PM
i don't think he should play if he had a concussion...at least let him get his bearings for a week. My Concussion had me loopy for a few days and I didn't rest very weel for the first week. Of course I am not a professional Football player so who knows...I vote let him sit Oakland out...

emmysDAD
10-23-2006, 03:33 PM

goto ON Demand and find the game there, I am sure you will see a replay of the hit...

Steelers
10-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Screw this year! I just don't care anymore! We're obviously not meant to do it this season. My focus is long term. Do what is best for the team's next season.

emmysDAD
10-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Screw this year! I just don't care anymore! We're obviously not meant to do it this season. My focus is long term. Do what is best for the team's next season.

Booo!

SteelerFanInCA
10-23-2006, 03:51 PM
So should would be concerned? I mean the man hit his head in June, and now another concussion, in less than six months...Head injuries worry me...

No reason to be concerned. Those were just some big bodies crashing his way. I don't think the accident made him any more susceptible to concusions. The guy just got hit by professional football players who hit and tackle very hard.

SteelerFanInCA
10-23-2006, 03:52 PM

That's weak.

FSUBoo
10-23-2006, 03:56 PM
I am sure that Cowher will sit him during the Oakland game. In my mind Oakland is a game we should win, and Cowher will want Big Ben healthy for the rest of the season.

FSUBoo
10-23-2006, 04:01 PM

If you think it's time to write off the entire season because of a 2-4 start, you don't have too much faith in the reseliency of our Steelers. We should get Joey Porter back soon, and Big Ben will heal fast(hopefully). So we are down, but not out yet, until the final score of the final game of our season shows, we are never out of anything.

memphissteelergirl
10-23-2006, 04:02 PM

Don't let the door hit you on the way out! :pissed:

emmysDAD
10-23-2006, 04:03 PM
No reason to be concerned. Those were just some big bodies crashing his way. I don't think the accident made him any more susceptible to concusions. The guy just got hit by professional football players who hit and tackle very hard.

Right but after one concussion you are more suceptable to more concussions, especially when you are getting hit by Professional football players who hit and tackle very hard.

Just Some Examples:
1. Steve Young
2. Eric Lindross
3. Wayne Crabet
4. troy Aikman
5. Merriel Hodge- Early Retirment

Football players who have suffered one Concussion, are 3 times more likely, than non Concussed players to get a second concussion in the same season.
This is called post concussed Syndrome...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/the_bonus/10/12/morgan.concussions/index.html

Check this out.

RichmondVA
10-23-2006, 04:20 PM

We are still the best team in the AFC North (and in all of Football IMO)

3. Who is the best team in the AFC North?

Allen: It seems strange right now to say this, but the best team in the AFC North is the Pittsburgh Steelers. Ignore for a moment that they lost in overtime against the Falcons and think about what this offense has done the past two weeks. They've completely dominated two good defenses with two different quarterbacks. The running game looks refreshed and Ben Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch both have an excellent grasp of this offense and are executing their play calls. This team would beat the Bengals and Ravens with Batch or Roethlisberger leading the way.

Hoge: It's the Steelers in a landslide. They have an excellent blend of offense and defense and are starting to look like the Steelers from last year. This team will be hard to beat down the stretch, even if Roethlisberger has to miss time. Backup quarterback Charlie Batch is more than capable of winning games.

Salisbury: Despite losing Sunday to the Falcons, the Steelers are back and they have fewer questions surrounding them than any other team in the AFC North. The Ravens have trouble moving the ball on offense and even with a good defense, you have to put points on the board in this division. The Bengals are having offensive line issues that have slowed their explosive offense. Cleveland just isn't ready. That leaves the Steelers, who have the right combination of offensive and defensive excellence to contend.

SteelerFanInCA
10-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Nice read, thanks for posting.

emmysDAD
10-23-2006, 04:36 PM
I am not tryin to incite fear or scare our fans I am just sayin they should take it slow with Ben make sure his head is ok. Remmeber the fat kid from Varisty Blue...J/K

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2006, 04:45 PM

I'm not concerned. Any QB that sustained the type of hit Ben took yesterday would be concussed. Sandwiched between helmets (one on the jaw line) would knock a good number of QB's out. It's impossible for anybody to tell if it's going to become a trend (concussed on lesser hits in the future), but it's completely understandable why he went down after that hit yesterday.

emmysDAD
10-23-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm not concerned. Any QB that sustained the type of hit Ben took yesterday would be concussed. Sandwiched between helmets (one on the jaw line) would knock a good number of QB's out. It's impossible for anybody to tell if it's going to become a trend (concussed on lesser hits in the future), but it's completely understandable why he went down after that hit yesterday.

I am just saying that it's his second concussion in 4 months. It only take like 5 or six concussions to end a players career. and while any QB could have suffered a concussion there, his last one wasn't even 6 months ago. So let's say nothing serious and back comes Ben next week and gets the same or simular type hit. boom that's three concussions in 4 months and all of the sudden you future franchise QB is worth anything. When you get a concussion you are more likely to get another before the season ends.

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Well, then I guess it's hard to say. Willie Parker could break his leg next week (knock on wood). Ricardo Coclough might learn how to catch a ball (sorry, bad example). You get my point.

DoctorJanSteelerFan
10-23-2006, 05:16 PM
There's no way in hell Cowher will put Ben in and risk a much more severe consiquence.

Think about it, on the road ... in the Black Hole no less .... with a bunch of hungry street thugs looking to beat up on a dinged up QB as a way to get the win they so desperately need.

no way he plays ... that's foolish man's talk.

Blitzburgh is absolutely right.

It would be INSANE, medically negligent and potentially life-threatening if they allow Ben to play next week. (And, sorry to say, possibly much longer.) If he lost consciousness (especially longer than 5 seconds) then it will depend on a VERY good neurologist to make a VERY thorough assessment to estimate when he can return to play. (NOT NOT NOT JUST A TEAM PHYSICIAN!!!:banging: )

Each concussion is cumulative and can have long-term effects. There needs to be a proper amount of time to recover from each incident. IMO his motorcycle accident should have kept him out of games for at least 6 months (I don't mean intense practices). Allowing an athlete to return to play too early increases their chances of more serious brain injury. Memory, reaction time and processing speed can all be affected. (Possibly why Ben looked so sluggish until Kansas City.) Is it worth jeopardizing his ENTIRE career for a few games? If he is put back in too early and suffers another severe concussion it could be the END of his football career. I hope to God they finally realize this and stop being so short-sighted.

Meanwhile, we have a perfectly good QB in Batch the Steeler Nation can rally behind and IMO we can win lots of games with him. Every real fan sees we have a great team. Whatever happens, I would rather lose this season then see a talented young guy like Ben lose his career or his life from short-sighted medical and coaching decisions.

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2006, 05:17 PM
We are still the best team in the AFC North (and in all of Football IMO)

3. Who is the best team in the AFC North?

Allen: It seems strange right now to say this, but the best team in the AFC North is the Pittsburgh Steelers. Ignore for a moment that they lost in overtime against the Falcons and think about what this offense has done the past two weeks. They've completely dominated two good defenses with two different quarterbacks. The running game looks refreshed and Ben Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch both have an excellent grasp of this offense and are executing their play calls. This team would beat the Bengals and Ravens with Batch or Roethlisberger leading the way.

Hoge: It's the Steelers in a landslide. They have an excellent blend of offense and defense and are starting to look like the Steelers from last year. This team will be hard to beat down the stretch, even if Roethlisberger has to miss time. Backup quarterback Charlie Batch is more than capable of winning games.

Salisbury: Despite losing Sunday to the Falcons, the Steelers are back and they have fewer questions surrounding them than any other team in the AFC North. The Ravens have trouble moving the ball on offense and even with a good defense, you have to put points on the board in this division. The Bengals are having offensive line issues that have slowed their explosive offense. Cleveland just isn't ready. That leaves the Steelers, who have the right combination of offensive and defensive excellence to contend.

Well that's just dandy to hear the Steelers are the consensus favorites at ESPN.com - if this was the BCS maybe the Steelers would be ahead in the polls.

This team has coughed up 10 point leads in two of the last three games and simply gave yesterday's game away with the turnovers (for the second time in 4 games). Combine that with the defense seeming to immediately give up a TD whenever we turn it over in our end of the field (2 more yesterday to go with 2 in the Cincy game - see a pattern as to reasons for 2 gift wrapped losses?).

I was at the game yesterday and can tell you the crowd was loaded with Steelers fans and ready to have the Falcons fans turn on their own team at the start of the game (before Santonio's horrible fumble) and midway throiugh the 2nd Q (until Ben and Hartings got confused on the snap and fumbled away the start of a drive that could have ended the game in the 2nd Q).

Something about this team is simply off (another celebration penalty?!) in terms of both discipline and just getting lousy breaks (e.g. - the kicker tripping up Holmes on what would have been a TD return) and unless they go undefeated for the next six weeks I am pretty glum about their prospects as they are 2 games down to 2 teams in their division. I am beginning to be convinced the breaks even out and this team overdrew its good karma balance last January. Getting a SB makes that worthwhile to me and this season less bitter; maybe some of the players and HC subconciously feel that way too.

Until I see a replay the hit on Ben really worries me - it did not look that vicious from where I sat and for him to apparently be knocked cold makes me worry (as discusssed in another thread) of his vulnerability to future concussions after the wreck.

emmysDAD
10-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Well, then I guess it's hard to say. Willie Parker could break his leg next week (knock on wood). Ricardo Coclough might learn how to catch a ball (sorry, bad example). You get my point.

Yeah but willie parker breaking his leg might effect us this season, but Big Ben going down with concussions could end his career, that's my point...

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Replace his skull with a steel plate and put him back out there. :thumbsup:

emmysDAD
10-23-2006, 05:20 PM

It would be INSANE, medically negligent and potentially life-threatening if they allow Ben to play next week. (And, sorry to say, possibly much longer.) If he lost consciousness (especially longer than 5 seconds) then it will depend on a VERY good neurologist to make a VERY thorough assessment to estimate when he can return to play. (NOT NOT NOT JUST A TEAM PHYSICIAN!!!:banging: )

Each concussion is cumulative and can have long-term effects. There needs to be a proper amount of time to recover from each incident. IMO his motorcycle accident should have kept him out of games for at least 6 months (I don't mean intense practices). Allowing an athlete to return to play too early increases their chances of more serious brain injury. Memory, reaction time and processing speed can all be affected. (Possibly why Ben looked so sluggish until Kansas City.) Is it worth jeopardizing his ENTIRE career for a few games? If he is put back in too early and suffers another severe concussion it could be the END of his football career. I hope to God they finally realize this and stop being so short-sighted.

Meanwhile, we have a perfectly good QB in Batch the Steeler Nation can rally behind and IMO we can win lots of games with him. Every real fan sees we have a great team. Whatever happens, I would rather lose this season then see a talented young guy like Ben lose his career or his life from short-sighted medical and coaching decisions.

That's what I am saying...Hold him out for at least 2-4 weeks is my vote...

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2006, 05:22 PM

I agree he sits until he gets a complete work-up that clears him - the box I was in at the game had a TV and Simms said Ben forgot the snap count on one play and someone had a brain cramp on the fumbled snap in the 2nd Q - that normally would mean nothing but maybe not.

Batch has the confidence of the team - hindsight is flawless but Ben should not have been rushed back for Jax. Rushing him back for a season that appears to be heading down anyhow at the risk of a career is madness.

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Yeah but willie parker breaking his leg might effect us this season, but Big Ben going down with concussions could end his career, that's my point...

My point is, who knows what's going to happen in the future? Should we wrap him in bubble wrap for the rest of his career? Could he have another concussion next week? Sure. Could he have one in week 13? Sure. Could he never have another one for the rest of his career? Not likely, but you never know.

Also, a knee injury could possibly end a career.

For the record, I'm not stating we should or shouldn't play him next week. That's not my decision. I'm not the team doctor.

emmysDAD
10-23-2006, 05:28 PM
My point is, who knows what's going to happen in the future? Should we wrap him in bubble wrap for the rest of his career? Could he have another concussion next week? Sure. Could he have one in week 13? Sure. Could he never have another one for the rest of his career? Not likely, but you never know.

Also, a knee injury could possibly end a career.

For the record, I'm not stating we should or shouldn't play him next week. That's not my decision.

or mine, and no I am not saying wrap the man in bubble wrap, My Point is we should take it slow, because with each concussion you become suceptable to another. The man has now suffered two in the last four months. You had said earlier that any QB would have suffered a Concussion in that hit. And that's fine, but now that he has had 2, a hit less ferious or less right on that could give Ben a concussion.

Preacher
10-23-2006, 05:32 PM
I don't like it... I don't like it at all.

We have one of two choices here. Either one, Ben is still suffering from the accident, or two, Ben is susceptable to injury and will have a short career. Don't forget.... He had a problem with his hand and foot the first season, Knee surgery the second season, and now a concussion his third season.

I really worry about his longevity. I am thinking he is a 7-10 year player. He will probably sign one BIG contract, play it out, and retire, unless he starts going through seasons (and offseasons) without injury.

Now... For the game in Oakland... SIT HIM. SIT HIM SIT HIM SIT HIM!!

emmysDAD
10-23-2006, 05:37 PM
I don't like it... I don't like it at all.

We have one of two choices here. Either one, Ben is still suffering from the accident, or two, Ben is susceptable to injury and will have a short career. Don't forget.... He had a problem with his hand and foot the first season, Knee surgery the second season, and now a concussion his third season.

I really worry about his longevity. I am thinking he is a 7-10 year player. He will probably sign one BIG contract, play it out, and retire, unless he starts going through seasons (and offseasons) without injury.

Now... For the game in Oakland... SIT HIM. SIT HIM SIT HIM SIT HIM!!

you know I said that after the Super Bowl and every single one of my friends called me a bad fan, and said I should tryin playing QB for an NFL team and not get hurt...Now I would if it wasn't for this gigantic Belly of mine...

clarient
10-23-2006, 05:58 PM
It's just one thing after another for Ben and the Steelers...

Honestly at this point I think he needs to be forcibly sat down for at a week (I would prefer two or possibly three, but I'm also a worrywart) so he can just recover. I am perfectly willing to sacrifice a season for his wellbeing if need be - and Batch can do an adequate job at the very least, and if he plays the same way he's been playing recently he'll do more than fine.

Ending his career by putting him back in the game too early, just for the sake of one season - and an uncertain season at that - would absolutely break my heart.

emmysDAD
10-23-2006, 06:00 PM
It's just one thing after another for Ben and the Steelers...

Honestly at this point I think he needs to be forcibly sat down for at a week (I would prefer two or possibly three, but I'm also a worrywart) so he can just recover. I am perfectly willing to sacrifice a season for his wellbeing if need be - and Batch can do an adequate job at the very least, and if he plays the same way he's been playing recently he'll do more than fine.

Ending his career by putting him back in the game too early, just for the sake of one season - and an uncertain season at that - would absolutely break my heart.

\Here here

holmes
10-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Big Ben appears fine; could play Sunday

Monday, October 23, 2006
Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

ATLANTA -- Big Ben may be Lucky Ben again after it appears the Steelers quarterback came through another head injury with only mild distress and should play Sunday in Oakland.

Ben Roethlisberger was to pay a visit to a neurosurgeon yesterday afternoon to follow up on tests that were conducted in Atlanta after he left Sunday's game in the third quarter following a blow to the head.

Ryan Tollner, Roethlisberger's agent, spoke to his client twice Sunday night -- once after the game, before the quarterback joined his teammates for the flight home, and again after he arrived home in Pittsburgh. Tollner said while he did not know the extent of the injury, he heard nothing to lead him to believe that Roethlisberger suffered a severe concussion.

"He was very coherent and had no ill affects in his thinking,'' Tollner said. "He was aware of everything that occurred.''

The Steelers would have kept Roethlisberger in Atlanta for observation had it been a severe concussion.

The team, through a spokesman, said it would have no information on Roethlisberger's condition yesterday. Coach Bill Cowher usually updates all injuries to his players at his weekly news conference, scheduled for noon today. Cowher did not call the injury a concussion when he spoke to the meida after the game but did say, "Ben is sore.''

Tollner would not speculate on whether Roethlisbeger will play Sunday.

Roethlisberger had an appointment yesterday afternoon with Joseph C. Maroon, the Steelers' UPMC neurosurgeon who is vice chairman of the department of neurological surgery at Pitt's School of Medicine.

The fact they waited nearly 24 hours before scheduling Roethlisberger to visit Maroon also was an indication the injury was not severe.

"My feeling was I was happy just to see Ben get up,'' said Tollner. "When he was laying motionless, it was a frightening sight. It was good to see him get up, walk off the field and return to the sideline."

Tollner also was happy to see Roethlisberger get on the charter flight back to Pittsburgh Sunday night.

"We've had other cases with clients where that individual stays in a hospital in that city overnight,'' Tollner said.

Roethlisberger's agent said that while he believes the quarterback will be OK, he welcomed the precautionary stance the Steelers took with him after the blow on Sunday.

"When you're talking about concussions and injuries to the brain and cerebral functions, that's far more concerning than physical injuries to the rest of the body,'' Tollner said. "We are intent on taking every precaution with Ben or any client we have to make sure he's never rushed back too soon, that every test and scan under consideration is exhausted."

Roethlisberger suffered what was described at the time as a mild concussion when he was injured in a motorcycle accident June 12. But even then, injury to his brain was minimized because his face absorbed most of the blow from the car's windshield.

"Even after the motorcycle accident, Ben was functioning mentally very, very well,'' said Tollner, who talked to Roethlisberger the night of the accident. "It just seemed like they deemed it a concussion.

"Even after the accident he was very clear. He obviously was in a lot of pain and discomfort, but I never thought for one moment that his mind wasn't working right. He didn't have a loss of memory or the inability to put together coherent sentences or understand what people were saying.

"My point is that I've seen a lot of other scenarios with concussions, and for a few days, he might seem dazed and hazy. I never experienced that with Ben since I've known him.

"There are signs initially on impact that a person has a concussion, with dilated pupils and different things. I know some people suffer the affect of memory loss and a hazy effect. Even after the motorcycle accident when I spoke to Ben, he was clear and coherent."

Roethlisberger left Sunday's game midway through the third quarter when he was smacked to the ground after an incompletion by Falcons defensive end Chauncey Davis on what appeared to be an illegal helmet-to-helmet hit.

Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

stillers4me
10-23-2006, 06:24 PM
After reading this article, it's clear to me that Ben just has a hard head.........in more ways than one.

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Good news, thanks for the article Holmes.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 06:25 PM
People Troy Polamalu had concussion problems in high school and at USC. That was some of a concern when drafting Troy. So far in the NFL Troy hasn't had any problems. If Ben is cleared to play then he plays.

sumo
10-23-2006, 06:46 PM
no way he should play - no football team/season/game is worth the long term risk of playing right after a concussion - Batch is good and we want Ben around for the long haul

stillers4me
10-23-2006, 06:50 PM
People Troy Polamalu had concussion problems in high school and at USC. That was some of a concern when drafting Troy. So far in the NFL Troy hasn't had any problems. If Ben is cleared to play then he plays.

Isn't Troy wearing one of those fancy dancy concussion-proof helmets we all thought Ben should wear after the motorcycle accident? I think it's time to order Ben's now.

sumo
10-23-2006, 07:00 PM

I have always had a problem with the way the NFL treats concussions and "clears" players - Hoge cleared to play - first hit of the game he's out like a light and has problems for years afterwards, Steve Young cleared to play first time he drops back to pass, he is glanced by a blitzing DB - out cold.. IMHO, Ben should sit this week if he had a conscussion - not worth the risk - if he gets another one, he will be out for at least a month ...

SteelerFanInCA
10-23-2006, 07:29 PM

That's a great point about Troy. I totally forgot about that.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 07:33 PM
It all depends on the concussion. If its a slight concussion which it sounds like that might be the case then he will play. Ben didn't stay in Atlanta for anymore tests. If it was a serious concussion then Ben would have stayed in Atlanta for further tests. Ben has no memory loss according to his agent and can speak in full sentences.

19ward86
10-23-2006, 07:44 PM
i heard it earlier on tv. doesnt matter to me if he starts this week or not. batch can handle the raiders.

stillers4me
10-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Ben has no memory loss according to his agent and can speak in full sentences.

It's good to know our franchise quarterback has a full concept of the English language. "Me Ben. You Hines."

Sorry........sometimes I just can't help myself...........:flap:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 08:02 PM
It's good to know our franchise quarterback has a full concept of the English language. "Me Ben. You Hines."

Ok smartass. His agent was just trying to say Ben was showing no signs of having a concussion. Which is a good sign.

stillers4me
10-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Ok smartass. His agent was just trying to say Ben was showing no signs of having a concussion. Which is a good sign.

I know that. I just have a sick sense of humor and that sentence just struck me as funny. My bad.

Anybody that knows me here knows I am a huge Ben fan......I only wish him the best.

Steelers
10-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Good news. Big Ben still stands.

Maidenarcher
10-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Not saying how long he'll be out ... my guess is that they'll sit him a week. :banging:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2636033

Thanks for the info...I haven't really been able to find anything on his hit since I got home today from Atlanta.....
It was the worst 10 minutes or so waiting for him to move....However, when he finally got up it was very touching to see people from both sides applauding....

BY THE WAY.............It was so awesome to be in that stadium and see all the yellow towels flying....I know we didn't win, but it was an awesome game....And to see so many Steelers fans.......

Preacher
10-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Okay... at this point... I also have to wonder if we have another Bradshaw on our hands. Remember how he would roll and flop around... Then get up and through another touchdown?

I don't know.. If he is absolutely approved by EVERYONE... I guess we should let him play...
But I still say to sit him.

Mosca
10-23-2006, 09:21 PM

Props, Dr Jan. You wrote it before I did. I don't care if he's out for the year, if that's the best thing for him... and no one should leave it up to Ben to decide, because he'll want to play.

Ben sits out, Batch can win if the rest of the team plays to their potential, and we take another shot come January. Then, if the NEUROSURGEONS say that Ben can play, he plays.

Tom

msafford
10-23-2006, 09:41 PM

LOL!!! too funny! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Sarcasm is awesome!

Marvin_for_prez
10-23-2006, 09:53 PM
I didn't have a chance to make it over here until today due to some unfortunate circumstances, but I wanted to say that I hope that Roethlisberger is OK.
It would be unfortunate if something happened to prevent him from playing football permanently.
Call me selfish, but Palmer vs. Batch just doesn't get my blood pumping quite as hard as Palmer vs. Roethlisberger. :smile:
Best of luck to him on a speedy recovery and we'll see you guys on New Year's Eve. :cheers:

floodcitygirl
10-23-2006, 09:58 PM
I didn't have a chance to make it over here until today due to some unfortunate circumstances, but I wanted to say that I hope that Roethlisberger is OK.
It would be unfortunate if something happened to prevent him from playing football permanently.
Call me selfish, but Palmer vs. Batch just doesn't get my blood pumping quite as hard as Palmer vs. Roethlisberger. :smile:
Best of luck to him on a speedy recovery and we'll see you guys on New Year's Eve. :cheers:Very classy there, Marvin! Your kind words towards Ben are appreciated. Regardless, we'll be happy to bring in the New Year with a win! :tt02:

WV-SteelerFan
10-23-2006, 10:08 PM

http://images.nfl.com/images/nflnetwork/replayrecapbox.gif
Wednesday, Oct. 25 at 8 p.m. ET — Falcons beat Steelers 41-38 in OT
This game had it all, but Falcons kicker Morten Andersen made a 32-yard field goal in overtime after his 51-yard miss near the end of regulation almost gave Pittsburgh the win.

HometownGal
10-23-2006, 10:24 PM

I understand what you are trying to say here, 32, but as far as I know, Troy wasn't involved in a life-threatening accident which caused severe head and facial trauma a little over four months before his concussion(s). The brain is an extremely complex organ and everyone's response and recovery to head trauma is varied. In addition, some head traumas don't present themselves until well after an injury and memory loss, speech impairment (even slight) and sometimes even paralysis do not occur until weeks and even months after the brain is "scrambled". I totally understand and appreciate Ben's desire to compete, but he has to be smart about it, stop being so freakin' stubborn and take his future, as well as consider the possible impact on the team/franchise into account here, imo. Just my two cents.

I.C. Lights
10-24-2006, 12:06 AM
Before we put Ben back in we need to weigh the possibility of making the playoffs with Ben against the possibility of making the playoffs with Batch. That judgment then has to be weighed against the risk of further injury to Ben and the future of the team.

As for the first test, I don't that much of an advantage to starting Ben because we can really only afford to lose two more games. While Ben would probably win a few more games than Batch, it may turn out to be a wash because there's not much room for error now.

As for the second test, the slight chance of making the playoffs with Ben returning this season is not great enough for me to want to jeopardize his future health or the future of the team. Therefore, I wouldn't want to start Ben without clearance from a non-NFL affiliated doctor.

DoctorJanSteelerFan
10-24-2006, 01:26 AM
Props, Dr Jan. You wrote it before I did. I don't care if he's out for the year, if that's the best thing for him... and no one should leave it up to Ben to decide, because he'll want to play.
Ben sits out, Batch can win if the rest of the team plays to their potential, and we take another shot come January. Then, if the NEUROSURGEONS say that Ben can play, he plays.

Tom
Tom, I hope cooler heads like yours prevail. I agree that Batch can win too.
..... Troy wasn't involved in a life-threatening accident which caused severe head and facial trauma a little over four months before his concussion(s). The brain is an extremely complex organ and everyone's response and recovery to head trauma is varied. In addition, some head traumas don't present themselves until well after an injury and memory loss, speech impairment (even slight) and sometimes even paralysis do not occur until weeks and even months after the brain is "scrambled". I totally understand and appreciate Ben's desire to compete, but he has to be smart about it, stop being so freakin' stubborn and take his future, as well as consider the possible impact on the team/franchise into account here, imo. Just my two cents.
HometownGal, I completely agree. Most people don't understand just how serious concussions can be. Multiple concussions have cumulative effects. Prior concussions lower the threshold for subsequent concussion injury and increase symptom severity in even seemingly mild subsequent concussions. Post-concussion symptoms can be quite subtle and may go unnoticed by the athlete, team medical staff, or coaches. (Perhaps like Ben's 3-game sluggishness?:banging: )
..... the slight chance of making the playoffs with Ben returning this season is not great enough for me to want to jeopardize his future health or the future of the team. Therefore, I wouldn't want to start Ben without clearance from a non-NFL affiliated doctor.
NON NON NON-NFL affiliated doctor.. HUGE props for I.C. Lights :thumbsup: :cheers:

BASIC INFO ON CONCUSSIONS, if anyone is interested:
http://www.neurosurgery.pitt.edu/trauma/concussion.html
http://concussion.upmc.com/Treatment.htm

theropodx
10-24-2006, 03:43 AM
Agreed, bros. Ben should sit out. Should probably have sat out longer. I'm also of the opinion that his appendix was injured in the accident. No proof obviously, but it doesn't matter. The head injury stuff is serious.

I know those guys were big, but it's possible he might not have gone down so hard if not for his accident. As has been said, this was his second huge hit in several months time.