PDA

View Full Version : I Think it's Safe to Say Kemo should Start Over Simmons

Football Freek
10-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Here's an article from SteelCityInsider:

http://steelers.scout.com/2/582340.html

I knew Bill Cowher?s head wasn?t in the game when he got mad over the first-half official?s review of Santonio Holmes?s catch. Cowher didn?t realize, I surmise, that the booth called for the replay instead of the timeout-less Falcons, and upon realization still played it out by menacing the review of a pass Holmes did indeed bobble before pulling in.
Cowher recovered in the second half to make his best decision of the year. He allowed line coach Russ Grimm to yank Kendall Simmons. His last play at right guard was Willie Parker?s fumble. Simmons appeared to take his first step right, as if he was supposed to pull, and Justin Babineaux steamed right through the opening and blew up the play. Parker tried to reverse field and coughed it up. That was it for Simmons, who was replaced ? probably for the rest of the season ? by Chris Kemoeatu.

Now, Kemoeatu didn?t blow open holes or get out in front of any screen passes the rest of the way. In fact his best contribution came on the tying 17-yard touchdown pass to Hines Ward. Kemoeatu grabbed the 286-pound Babineaux and flung him to his right, where he spilled into Max Starks and the man Starks was blocking. The aerial replay of this ?block? showed Kemoeatu bowling with Babineaux and picking up the spare. Not that it had much effect on the play. Or did it? It did help create that big pocket for Charlie Batch. There was room, something Simmons rarely helped with.

So, I say to Cowher, good move, even if you were only overseeing your kingdom. Of course, that?s part of your job. The wise head coach allows his assistants to coach while you run over to share jokes with opposing quarterbacks on potential game-winning drives.

Did you ever play with a star who before games would slide over to the other team and talk to their star? It?s a disgusting bit of pre-game ego-massaging in my book. Well, the game has evolved to the point where you can do it in the midst of a last-minute drive. You, too, can put yourself on the same level as other stars with a smile and a joke above and beyond the fray ? the fray in which the players are spilling blood and guts.

So, anyway, where was this cool dude when it came time for him to do his most important job?

Clock management had been a notorious Cowher problem until last season, but it reared its ugly head again. Cowher had squandered one timeout by ordering a review of an easy touchdown run by Warrick Dunn. Maybe it wasn?t such a bad move; perhaps the coach saw something.

He did not, and in a game he was trailing he was now down a timeout.

The second timeout saved the game. Was it genius that Cowher waited to ice the kicker before a 56-yarder with 30 seconds left? I don?t know. He was in a frantic first-half rush to call a timeout when the Falcons had 12 men on the field and were trying to call their own timeout, so I?ll assume his head was somewhere else again and assume he forgot to call this timeout, too. Either way, good result. The good kick was blown dead.

Down to his last timeout, Cowher blundered. A missed field goal from 52 yards would give the Steelers the ball at the 42. With 25 seconds and one timeout, the Pittsburgh Steelers had an opening to steal a game that they were otherwise giving away. What a way to get out of this mess!

But Cowher burned the last timeout to freeze the kicker, a kicker who?d been on and off the field so many times that another stoppage of play would only provide rest. He was tired -- according to TV analyst Phil Simms -- from his other two long attempts.

Not that I agree with Simms on this, but what was the point of the timeout? If there?s no time left and you won?t need it, fine, throw it away.

This is where Cowher lost his head again. This is the point in the game where the head coach must be thinking clearly. The Steelers did get the ball and did complete one pass and were in line for a 50-yard kick at the gun that was Jeff Reed?s destiny on this kicker?s day in the NFL. He?d boomed his previous kickoff, and you could sense that the struggling kicker, who will not admit to slumps, was going to come out of his. But you know the rest of the story: illegal procedure, Nate Washington, flinch, drained clock, mad coach, mad owner.

So, with Rooney running to Cowher?s rescue this game will be remembered for an official?s incompetence and not Coach Clockenstein?s.

Sure, this team should?ve tackled Vick on third-and-nine, and sure their corners should?ve gotten around Alge Crumpler?s big butt and broken up a pass or two, and sure they could?ve held onto the ball better, but the Steelers were in their third ferocious road battle against a desperate team, and that team was playing well, as the others have done against the Super Bowl champs. While it?s easy to cast blame on the entire team for not responding with ferocity in return, is it asking too much of the head coach to perform his only true task on game day?

CrimsonSteeler3443
10-23-2006, 05:00 PM
As long as we win I dont care who is blocking.

emmysDAD
10-23-2006, 05:04 PM
I like this guy Kemowhatevathef*ck his name is...I'd let simmons go after this season...

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Chris Kemoeatu should start at RG over Kendall Simmons.

Elvis
10-23-2006, 05:27 PM
:cheers: I AGREE 1000 %... I have been saying this all along for awhile now... Keomateau is the man on that right sided in my opinion:wave:

BigDuke6
10-23-2006, 06:01 PM
I have to agree with a lot of what was said by SteelrInsider. Cowher allowed this one to slip away with some bad judgement calls. But when you really think about it, hasnt he made a reputation for that over the years ? Really, the only thing that has allowed that rep to fade was SBXL and the run up to it.

Ambridge
10-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Kendall Simmons has been stinking up the field this season and it's well over due for this move to be made.

We could see Chris maybe get a match-up or two against his brother Maake who is a defensive tackle for Carolina when the Steelers play the Panthers later in the season.

19ward86
10-23-2006, 06:52 PM
i really like kemoeatu and im not a big fan of simmons but this is a hard decision for me anyway. kemoeatu is probably our strongest guy on our line, and he has perfomed well when we decide to run a lot in a game(cheifs game-we rushed 42-43 times).

Tankus_Maximus
10-24-2006, 08:37 AM
Kemoeatu is a MONSTER.

83-Steelers-43
10-24-2006, 08:39 AM
While I don't see it happening (Cowher likes his vets not matter what the case), I would like to see them play Kemo more often to see what he brings to the table.

SteelPerch
10-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Simmons has been the weak link on the O-line for YEARS. Kemo is far better and should have been the starter since week 1.

Bet Cowher doesn't yank Simmons until Ben or Charlie gets KO'd again...

HometownGal
10-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Though I think that article contains a lot of hooey, the one thing I do agree with is that Simmons needs to be riding the pine and Kemo should definitely be starting at RG. Simmons has always been the weak link on that line - in this case, they need to fix what IS broken.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Kemoeatu should have started at the end of last year......
I think he is much better and more powerfull than simmons......

Prosdo
10-24-2006, 10:47 AM
I like Kemoeatu. He has proved he can do well and that he can hold his own. I wouldn't mind seeing him start at all and I think he should be starting.

Atlanta Dan
10-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Simmons signed a six year contract in 2002; this supposedly is how it works out for cap purposes:

Kendall Simmons, OL, signed a six-year contract worth $7.1 million, which included a $3.213984 million signing bonus. This contract was signed on or around July 25, 2002 as reported by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

According to the linked site, his cap numbers for 2007 will be as follows:

Base salary Signing bonus Cap value
$900,000 $535,664 $1,435,664

In terms of dead money if he gets cut, is it just the salary bonus that will count againt the cap in 2007? I agree Simmoins is the weak link on the OL, but Faneca will not last forever. It may make financial sense to keep Simmons in 2007.

http://www.geocities.com/steelersalarycap/KendallSimmons.htm

potter86
10-24-2006, 12:00 PM
I love Cowher bashing articles and writers who talk about how he made a terrible decision with timeouts and blah blah blah blah blah.

Hindsight is 20-20.

Imagine this scenario. Our boy Bill, with one timeout left late in the fourth quarter, decides that he'll take his chances with the kicker and his fresh legs. So he keeps the timeout in his pocket, safe and sound, just in case the guy misses.

Now, assume he misses, the Steelers go on and get a shot at winning the game (which was by no means a sure thing with what Jeff Reed has shown this season from the distance at which he would have been kicking from), they make it and win. Woo hoo! Go Steelers. Cowher is a hero.

But what if the Atlanta kicker had banged off the long fieldgoal right through the uprights. All we hear for the upcoming week is "Cowher is a fool who can't manage the clock! Fire Cowher... or give him a lesson in T.O. management."

As a head coach in that kind of situation you have one primary concern. KEEP YOUR TEAM ALIVE. Any coach in their right mind uses the timeout and keeps their team in the game. Cowher is a million dollar man in Pittsburgh. He's paid to know these things, and he knows that icing the kicker works.

What should have happened was the ref doesn't throw that BOGUS flag on Troy Polomalu for running into the kicker and the Steelers begin their drive with a timeout in their pocket and better field position. They walk downfield, call timeout, Reed kicks it in, we're 3-3.

You wanna make changes in what happened. I suggest three things.

1. Kemoatu is a better prospect than Simmons, the future will show who is really better, but give Chris a shot.

2. Get the NFL to tell the refs "when in doubt, KEEP IT IN THE POCKET!!!".

3. Get the NFL to rework their overtime. NFL OT sucks. Its pure luck. If the league can take up time to make a new rule about touchdown celebrations they sure as hell ought to be able to replace the joke-of-an-overtime that they are using now.

Preacher
10-24-2006, 12:00 PM
If he gets cut... it is the Signing bonus that counts, not the base. So the question is, is it worth it to have half a mil of dead money on the books with a position that needs to be filled, or is it better to have half a million riding the pine, but knowlegeable enough to step in if necessary?

The next question is, who do we need to sign back in the offseason? Also, who is available for us to go get. I know that we don't like free-agency, but dang it... WE NEED A BETTER CB.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-24-2006, 12:02 PM
:cheers: I AGREE 1000 %... I have been saying this all along for awhile now... Keomateau is the man on that right sided in my opinion:wave:

Not after watching the Jacksonville game did I think it anymore but who on the line played well that day. I was big on C.K. coming into the season. Now it looks like we are starting to see the real him. I feel very very sad for Simmons but there is life after football.

Elvis
10-24-2006, 03:44 PM
:tt02: Keomateau is the meanest guy on our roster hands down and that means he is meaner than Porter... all your O linemen and D linemen are some of the meanest players on the field..:helmet: