PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Top 5 burning Questions:

Stlrs4Life
10-23-2006, 05:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...t&lid=tab1pos1

3. Who is the best team in the AFC North?

Allen: It seems strange right now to say this, but the best team in the AFC North is the Pittsburgh Steelers. Ignore for a moment that they lost in overtime against the Falcons and think about what this offense has done the past two weeks. They've completely dominated two good defenses with two different quarterbacks. The running game looks refreshed and Ben Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch both have an excellent grasp of this offense and are executing their play calls. This team would beat the Bengals and Ravens with Batch or Roethlisberger leading the way.

Hoge: It's the Steelers in a landslide. They have an excellent blend of offense and defense and are starting to look like the Steelers from last year. This team will be hard to beat down the stretch, even if Roethlisberger has to miss time. Backup quarterback Charlie Batch is more than capable of winning games.

Salisbury: Despite losing Sunday to the Falcons, the Steelers are back and they have fewer questions surrounding them than any other team in the AFC North. The Ravens have trouble moving the ball on offense and even with a good defense, you have to put points on the board in this division. The Bengals are having offensive line issues that have slowed their explosive offense. Cleveland just isn't ready. That leaves the Steelers, who have the right combination of offensive and defensive excellence to contend.

clarient
10-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Now THAT'S what I like to hear!! All we have to do is live up to it! :)

I also really like hearing such high praise for Batch.

Livinginthe past
10-23-2006, 06:04 PM
If they did power rankings like this i'd be alot happier - ie who is the best team - not who is having the best run.

The Steelers have alot of potential, but they are finding new and disastrous ways to lose each week - despite having large parts of their game in good working order.

I guess what the pundits, and myself, see is a team that can still be awesome if they could get all the different parts of the machine to operate on the same day.

At times the D has been awesome, yesterday the offense put up 38 points on the road and looked capable of more.

Even though they have better current record, the Bengals and Ravens appear to suffer from the same faults they suffered from last year - not enough balance between O and D.

NM

ps the link doesnt work.

This one does

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2635788

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Well on paper the Steelers are the best team. But thats why they play the games.

MACH1
10-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Just stop dropping the damn ball.

stillers4me
10-23-2006, 06:59 PM

Simple and to the point. I like it.

SteelerFanInCA
10-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Yeah that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside but a win against Oakland next weekend will make me feel even better.

floodcitygirl
10-23-2006, 07:31 PM
UOTE=SteelerFanInCA;165368]Yeah that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside but a win against Oakland next weekend will make me feel even better.[/QUOTE]:iagree: :tt02:

19ward86
10-23-2006, 07:54 PM
like jim mora said, we are still the champs and a great team no matter what our recrord is, and yes i said jim mora.

polamalufan43
10-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Yeah... we need work on the special teams. Anyway, offense and defense are both good and they play to the fullest, which is which we have the vote for the ACF North.

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2006, 08:37 PM
I guess the plan at this point is to go 5-0 in the remaining division games and hope that wins tiebreakers with Baltimore or Cincinnati.

Steelers need to go no worse than 5-1 over the next six games to be in position for a stretch run, which would leave the them at 7-5 in early December (a record familiar to anyone who recalls 2005).

Need to focus on Oakland and go from there, but these are the next 6 games:

10/29 @ Oakland
11/5 Denver
11/12 New Orleans
11/19 @ Cleveland
11/26 @ Baltimore
12/3 Tampa Bay

After that here is how the season winds up:

12/7 Cleveland
12/17 @ Carolina
12/24 Baltimore
12/31 @ Cincinnati

Assuming the Steelers will have to beat Cincinnati, 3-1 to end the season is not impossible, which would project to 10-6.

However, you look at that schedule and I only see 4 sure wins against Oakland, the Browns and Tampa Bay. This team has the talent to finish 8-2, but they should be 4-2 at this point and just cannot get it done. Need some luck to change right now.

Preacher
10-23-2006, 11:27 PM
UOTE=SteelerFanInCA;165368]Yeah that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside but a win against Oakland next weekend will make me feel even better.:iagree: :tt02:[/QUOTE]

ROTFL.... Don't you hate in when you go to quote something... and because of a mistake the quotes don't show up the right way? Happened to me a number of times already.

I.C. Lights
10-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Yeah that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside but a win against Oakland next weekend will make me feel even better.

OK, but if we can't get that, I'm calling it a season :sweating:

Livinginthe past
10-24-2006, 12:15 AM
10/29 @ Oakland
11/5 Denver
11/12 New Orleans
11/19 @ Cleveland
11/26 @ Baltimore
12/3 Tampa Bay

At the beginning of the season I would have given Pittsburgh a comfortable win in 4 of those games - Oakland, Cleveland, Baltimore and N.O. - however two of those games look alot harder now.

Personally, I think the Ravens will come down to earth with a bump over the next few games but I wouldn't have expect them to jump out to a 4-0 start.

New Orleans are revitalised under their new coach and not only look exciting on offfense but capable on defense too.

Oakland should be comfortable but they managed to finally win one last week, and should probably have two wins against their name (if you count the Cleveland debacle).

The last 3 games look real tough, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

NM

Rotorhead
10-24-2006, 01:32 AM
Well the way Denver's Off is playing, that should be a low scoring def game so it is up in the air. I hope Balt and Cincy will split their games this season and we sweep the Ratbirds. Oakland, Cleveland and Tampa should be wins (barring any stupid muffed puntreturns!!!!!!!! or turnovers) so that leaves NO. I think we match up well against them and if our Off keeps clicking like it is than I can see a W in that game. Not to beat the dead and rotting horse, but these turnovers are just killing us, especially the punt returns that keep finding their way into the other teams hands!

klick81
10-24-2006, 12:58 PM

Couldn't have said it better.

CantStop85
10-24-2006, 06:24 PM
I guess the plan at this point is to go 5-0 in the remaining division games and hope that wins tiebreakers with Baltimore or Cincinnati.

Steelers need to go no worse than 5-1 over the next six games to be in position for a stretch run, which would leave the them at 7-5 in early December (a record familiar to anyone who recalls 2005).

Need to focus on Oakland and go from there, but these are the next 6 games:

10/29 @ Oakland
11/5 Denver
11/12 New Orleans
11/19 @ Cleveland
11/26 @ Baltimore
12/3 Tampa Bay

After that here is how the season winds up:

12/7 Cleveland
12/17 @ Carolina
12/24 Baltimore
12/31 @ Cincinnati

Assuming the Steelers will have to beat Cincinnati, 3-1 to end the season is not impossible, which would project to 10-6.

However, you look at that schedule and I only see 4 sure wins against Oakland, the Browns and Tampa Bay. This team has the talent to finish 8-2, but they should be 4-2 at this point and just cannot get it done. Need some luck to change right now.
I wouldn't discount Tampa Bay...they're a lot better than their record indicates, I could see them going on a run similar to Miami's last year.

To make it to the playoffs the Steelers are going to have to be almost perfect in division play from this point on; a tall task.

floodcitygirl
10-24-2006, 08:03 PM
:iagree: :tt02:

ROTFL.... Don't you hate in when you go to quote something... and because of a mistake the quotes don't show up the right way? Happened to me a number of times already.[/QUOTE]Yeah Preacher...hadn't even noticed it! (lol) If that's the worse thing that happens, I'll consider it a great day! :cheers: (I put lemonaide in your cyber mug!)