PDA

View Full Version : Did we do the right thing at QB

polamalufan43
10-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Okay, remember during the preseason when we had Shane Boyd and Omar Jacobs? Well, we decided to just have a backup QB and that was it. But, with the seemingly everlasting issues with Roethlisberger's health, do you think it would have been better to keep a 3rd string QB.

I have no doubt that Charlie Batch can lead the team, and he has shown this on many occasions, but there is the possibility of Batch getting hurt. Sure, we can bring someone with a short-term contract, but is that good for the team?

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

PisnNapalm
10-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Who knows... I'm gonna let Cowher worry about it. I just hope Ben makes a quick and full recovery.

MACH1
10-23-2006, 07:54 PM
I was wondering that myself yesterday, what if batch gets hurt in this game. Whos gonna be the qb.

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2006, 07:57 PM
If Batch and Ben both cannot play the season really will be over regardless of who we play at QB. The Steelers have a very competent back-up at QB while a number of teams have no viable back-up.

Whether the Steelers should have held on to another QB pales in comparison to the question of why Staley stayed on the team and how the the kick return & coverage teams became so screwed up.

Hoping that Davenport works out probably is not the best strategy for developing a power back; the decision not to cut Staley after the SB and look for another back was by far the biggest personnel screw-up of the offseason.

The players are not the only ones who appear to be suffering from SB hangovers.

touchdownward
10-23-2006, 08:39 PM
I feel very confident that Ben will be fine and we have one of the best backups in the NFL.

I guess Hines would be the emergency QB, but he only did that for one season at Georgia. He was more of an option type quarterback.

Go Steelers!!!!

stillers4me
10-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Let's hope we never have to find out.

Blitzburgh
10-23-2006, 08:45 PM
I believe BSP was brought back to the practice squad just last week .... As soon as Anthony Wright (Bungals) went down with an appendectomy and McNair went down with an injury ... the Steelers immedately picked him up to preventing them from aquiring him since he already has a few years experience under his belt in our division.

BSP would be our 3rd string if need be ...

stillers4me
10-23-2006, 08:48 PM
I believe BSP was brought back to the practice squad just last week .... As soon as Anthony Wright (Bungals) went down with an appendectomy and McNair went down with an injury ... the Steelers immedately picked him up to preventing them from aquiring him since he already has a few years experience under his belt in our division.

Thanks, Blitzburgh....I thought I'd read about that.
Thank goodness we had a half decent 3rd string QB a couple of years ago........:tt02:

But I still hope we don't have to find out how this one plays.

SteelCityMan786
10-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Don't forget, Hines can still play QB as well. But knowing what's been going on, we need Hines going out for footballs.

Preacher
10-23-2006, 10:12 PM

YEP... And he is good too. I have always like BSP.

jaysta
10-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Okay, remember during the preseason when we had Shane Boyd and Omar Jacobs? Well, we decided to just have a backup QB and that was it. But, with the seemingly everlasting issues with Roethlisberger's health, do you think it would have been better to keep a 3rd string QB.

I have no doubt that Charlie Batch can lead the team, and he has shown this on many occasions, but there is the possibility of Batch getting hurt. Sure, we can bring someone with a short-term contract, but is that good for the team?

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Man you make too much sense. When I questioned the front office for cutting Jacobs some folks in here laughed it up and had good time ridiculing my thread. I think one of the younger mods even wanted to cut it because he didn't agree with my opinion of looking out for the Steelers future. Now if Ben can't come back I guess Batch is our future?!? This was my point back then and now we have to think about it. Sure we can use Ward in a pinch and move Jacobs on to the active roster, but Jacobs hasn't worked closely with Ben and isn't familiar with this offense.

PAMillerGrrl83
10-23-2006, 10:19 PM
What about that Brian St. Pierre guy did the Steelers not sign him as a QB? Of course I could be wrong but..I thought they did or was he released so they could sign someone else? And on ESPN.com if you type in Ben Roethlisberger it comes up with his page and it says "October 23 News: Roethlisberger apparently avoided a severe concussion on Sunday and should play against the Raiders in Week 8".

stlrtruck
10-24-2006, 06:57 AM
Don't forget, Hines can still play QB as well. But knowing what's been going on, we need Hines going out for footballs.

Maybe he can throw a few passes to himself! That would be cool considering I have him on my Fantasy team! DOUBLE SCORE

19ward86
10-24-2006, 07:36 AM
i think we should of kept omar jacobs, just for emergency. he would of been cheap, and profitable.

Tankus_Maximus
10-24-2006, 08:36 AM
BSP kicks some serious ass on my PS2.

Since we're talking about cheap & affordable backups..where's Kordell these days? I mean if they brought back Chad Brown, and were always looking to bring back Neil O'Donnell...where's slash?

Elvis
10-24-2006, 03:54 PM
:tt02: First of all... Chad Brown was a waste of $$$... why not bring back Slash or hey..what about Kevin Greene?:jawdrop: :banana: :helmet:

Stillers43
10-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Batch is a great reliable back-up, but we do need to start thinking about keeping another QB!