PDA

View Full Version : The raider game

Big D
10-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Looking into sundays matchup. I have to think if there should be any kind of actions taken if we lose this weekend against would could be the worst football team in 20 years.

Tankus_Maximus
10-24-2006, 09:33 AM
If we lose..that's a big IF...ah..I can't bear to think about it. The earth should spin off it's axis.

HometownGal
10-24-2006, 09:53 AM
At this point, I don't think we should take ANY team lightly or for granted, not even the hapless Raiders. The Steelers have to develop the mindset that each and every game is a MUST win now and game-plan for each as if they were going into a playoff game. As they've found out the hard way, no game is a guaranteed W.

MACH1
10-24-2006, 09:56 AM
If we lose that game some heads are going to roll.....:nervous:

Big D
10-24-2006, 09:58 AM
If we lose that game some heads are going to roll.....:nervous:

I guess thats my question. If we do lose that game who or whom should be held accountable

floodcitygirl
10-24-2006, 10:47 AM
At this point, I don't think we should take ANY team lightly or for granted, not even the hapless Raiders. The Steelers have to develop the mindset that each and every game is a MUST win now and game-plan for each as if they were going into a playoff game. As they've found out the hard way, no game is a guaranteed W.:iagree: And honestly, I don't want to think about the "what if's" at this point. For me, it's take one game at a time and deal with that. :jammin:

memphissteelergirl
10-24-2006, 11:00 AM
At this point, I don't think we should take ANY team lightly or for granted, not even the hapless Raiders. The Steelers have to develop the mindset that each and every game is a MUST win now and game-plan for each as if they were going into a playoff game. As they've found out the hard way, no game is a guaranteed W.

Absolutely, HG! We are not in a position to take anybody for granted at this point. Not to mention....this is a rivalry that goes back 3 decades; not so much in recent years, but these teams historically have a great animosity towards each other. And I am sure the Raider D smells blood in the water with a starting QB questionable and a team that is struggling BIG TIME right now. If they get a win against us this could be their turnaround. Plus they are at home so they are gonna be fired up! My suggestion: Guys, review the film from the KC game and do that! Again!

HERE WE TO STEELERS, HERE WE GO! :tt02: :tt02:

Big D
10-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Absolutely, HG! We are not in a position to take anybody for granted at this point. Not to mention....this is a rivalry that goes back 3 decades; not so much in recent years, but these teams historically have a great animosity towards each other. And I am sure the Raider D smells blood in the water with a starting QB questionable and a team that is struggling BIG TIME right now. If they get a win against us this could be their turnaround. Plus they are at home so they are gonna be fired up! My suggestion: Guys, review the film from the KC game and do that! Again!

HERE WE TO STEELERS, HERE WE GO! :tt02: :tt02:

I believe this is a huge game for the purpose of momentum. I think we had alot of momentum going into the falcon game. And what concerns me is what a lose would do to this team mentally. We have to go into this game with the mindset it's the afc championship game

Big D
10-24-2006, 11:14 AM
If we can finish the season winning at least the next 8 of our last ten games I think that will put us in the playoffs. And i dont think that number is out of reach

memphissteelergirl
10-24-2006, 12:10 PM
I believe this is a huge game for the purpose of momentum. I think we had alot of momentum going into the falcon game. And what concerns me is what a lose would do to this team mentally. We have to go into this game with the mindset it's the afc championship game

True dat...and how many times did these 2 teams meet for the title back in the day? :wink02:

You're right, Big D...a loss to the worst team in the league? That would be devastating!

stlrtruck
10-24-2006, 12:56 PM
First of all, I believe we have to win 9 of the next 10 games and we can't lose to an AFC team. If we do that, then are chances of making the playoffs will be minimized based on head to head, division, and conference wins (all tie breakers when the records are even).

Second, we can not begin to play the "WHAT IF" game with any team on our schedule. We do have to take this one week at a time and work on eliminating turnovers and stupid idiotic bunglish celebration penalties.

Finally, this game on Sunday needs to be a straight up arse whoopin' on the raiders. They have hope now, they've won a game. Our job on Sunday is to put out the lights!!!

MACH1
10-24-2006, 01:39 PM
We need to get up on them fast and hard, not give them a glimmer of hope. :helmet:

stillers4me
10-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Does anyhave an extra can of that spray adhesive laying around. That should work.................

MACH1
10-24-2006, 03:04 PM
:iagree:

SteelerFanInCA
10-24-2006, 03:17 PM
We are every team's Super Bowl this year. I wouldn't take the Raiders or anyone else for that matter lightly. The Raiders will come to play on Sunday. We need to be ready week in and week out for these challenges.

Livinginthe past
10-24-2006, 03:29 PM
I dont think i'll be starting LaMont Jordan in my FF - something tells me he will be in for a statistically insignificant day (even if he is fit).

I wonder if Steeler nation will be able to keep its head if the Steelers roll out the expected ass-whupping?

Or will we get proclamations that the Steelers can do the same to Cincy when they meet.

NM

Need4spd
10-24-2006, 03:46 PM
If we can finish the season winning at least the next 8 of our last ten games I think that will put us in the playoffs. And i dont think that number is out of reach

I was thinking about this over the weekend even prior to Sunday's game, and I would have to disagree with you. In the AFC, I seriously doubt that a 10-6 record will get a team into the playoffs. In the NFC sure, but not the AFC. Remember, the Steelers finished at 11-5 last year and lost the division title to Cincy only due to the tie-breaker, and that just barely put them in the playoffs as the 6th seed.

Despite the fact that it's only week 8, the Steelers need to dial up the intesity from here on out and play with a decided sense of urgency. The way I see it, every game should now be viewed as an absolute must win.

HometownGal
10-24-2006, 03:49 PM
You're right, Big D...a loss to the worst team in the league? That would be devastating!

Personally, I think ANY loss from here on out could be potentially devastating. The Steelers just cannot afford to take any team lightly at this point.

I would love nothing more than to see Weird Al leaving his cushy owner's box with a huge skid mark in the back of that ancient white polyester leisure suit. :banana:

Hines0wnz
10-24-2006, 04:13 PM
I dont like the scenario going into Oakland. Raiders at home coming off their first win and the Steelers coming in licking their wounds with their pride tinged. I dont want to make a huge statement about it being a must win for the playoffs, etc. but this is a game that will be a litmus test for their heart, passion and pride as World Champs. This is one of those games the so called experts will say the Steelers are "supposed" to win. Yeah, their supposed to win every game as defending champs right? It is time for the rookies to shake off the nerves, field some footballs and make plays, period. I love the Steelers, always have and always will but this season has given me more angst and confusion than any that I remember in recent history.

And I have to agree with other posts about Cowher. He does not have the fire he had since he has been the HC. This season is almost like a Twilight Zone episode to me.

Anyway, my roommate is a Raider fan so this Sunday will be interesting. :tt02:

Elvis
10-24-2006, 04:27 PM
:tt02: First of all ... if we lose to the Lowly Raiders... well.. our season is definitely over and we should play for the first over all pick in the draft.. I dont think that it is Cowhers fault with what is happening with our team right now. We are turning the ball over WAY TOO MUCH... for the last few years we have NOT done that and we won alot of games... now that Ben has gotten his rythm back he has to go and get this concussion which may set him back a little bit more as well... Our season is pretty much in jeopardy right now, though I am not giving up on us at this point. But it would be hard on us to get 8 more wins to get into the playoffs now... But I Still Love My Black N Gold...:helmet:

RoethlisBURGHer
10-24-2006, 05:46 PM
I don't even want to think about losing to the Raiders.

silver & black
10-24-2006, 07:45 PM
I don't even want to think about losing to the Raiders.

I do! :sofunny:

Seriously, I really doubt that we are up to the task of beating the Steelers.

We looked MUCH better last week on both sides of the ball... even our sorry O line picked it up a notch and gave Walter time to throw. Fargas and Lee rotated in the RB spot and did well. I hope Jordan doesn't play again on Sunday... he just doesn't have what it takes to be starter material in the NFL (my opinion). Crockett kicked ass as FB. Had Moss and Curry both not dropped balls in the end zone, we would have scored 2 more TD's.

I can't wait for this game... I love to play the Steelers!

Even though we were much improved last week, it was against the Cardinals... not exactly a team of the Steeler's caliber. I hope we can make it a game, but I don't think we can beat you.

I will be watching the game with a bunch of my Steelers fans buddies at the local sports bar... should be fun!

I hope there are no injuries on either team and the officials call a good game. No matter what happens on Sunday, good luck with the rest your season, and maybe the Raiders will be back in a few years and we can resume the most kickass rivalry that has ever been!

stillers4me
10-24-2006, 09:02 PM

We looked MUCH better last week on both sides of the ball... even our sorry O line picked it up a notch and gave Walter time to throw. Fargas and Lee rotated in the RB spot and did well. I hope Jordan doesn't play again on Sunday... he just doesn't have what it takes to be starter material in the NFL (my opinion). Crockett kicked ass as FB. Had Moss and Curry both not dropped balls in the end zone, we would have scored 2 more TD's.

Even though we were much improved last week, it was against the Cardinals... not exactly a team of the Steeler's caliber. I hope we can make it a game, but I don't think we can beat you.

I will be watching the game with a bunch of my Steelers fans buddies at the local sports bar... should be fun!

I hope there are no injuries on either team and the officials call a good game. No matter what happens on Sunday, good luck with the rest your season, and maybe the Raiders will be back in a few years and we can resume the most kickass rivalry that has ever been!

Thanks for the classy post!! And as we've all learned all too quickly......anything can happen.

I'm sure we'll kick your butts even with our backup quarterback......:flap: !! Here's to safe game on both sides......no more of this!!! :injured: (do you hear me, Ben???)

NorthWestRaider
10-25-2006, 01:04 AM
If we lose..that's a big IF...ah..I can't bear to think about it. The earth should spin off it's axis.

Then I guess you better hold on :banana: .....but truly....in every logical sense the steelers should be HEAVY favorites....the Steelers are catching the Raiders at their lowest point in their history. Then again....the D has been playing tough...I believe they are ranked 5th overall....if only the O can continue to gel....Walter is comming around......so again...logically the Steelers should run away with this game...then again....any given Sunday.......:cheers:

skinart82
10-25-2006, 01:11 AM
The Raiders did beat beat a team that almost destroyed The Bears, so we don't need to go into this game with big heads thinking it's going to be an easy win. Remember the game against the lions last year, that should have been a blowout.

Elvis
10-25-2006, 07:29 AM
:helmet: This league is so whacky sometimes... even the Raiders can pull one out every once in a while...:wink02: I have a real good friend that is a die hard Raiders fan and he has hated the last few years since their super bowl year... I just hate watching games with him cuz he gets so mad and cuses and swares alot... so, good luck to both and again I hope for no more injuries for either team...:tt02: :tt02:

Big D
10-25-2006, 07:32 AM
:tt02: First of all ... if we lose to the Lowly Raiders... well.. our season is definitely over and we should play for the first over all pick in the draft.. I dont think that it is Cowhers fault with what is happening with our team right now. We are turning the ball over WAY TOO MUCH... for the last few years we have NOT done that and we won alot of games... now that Ben has gotten his rythm back he has to go and get this concussion which may set him back a little bit more as well... Our season is pretty much in jeopardy right now, though I am not giving up on us at this point. But it would be hard on us to get 8 more wins to get into the playoffs now... But I Still Love My Black N Gold...:helmet:

I have to strongly disagree with you on this one. It seems like some people in this forum believe cowher cant do no wrong. I have not seen the intensity out of him this year that i've seen in years first. When I see this team turning the ball over the way we have it shows me the lack of disipline. I dont think cowhers heart is in the game. I honor this man for what he's done with this franchise. We have been spoiled by his presence. In a league where the coaches shelf life doesnt seem to go past three years I think we are very lucky for what he's done. But the time has come for us to turn the reigns to someone new

stlrtruck
10-25-2006, 08:27 AM
If we control the turnovers, then we shouldn't have a problem with the raiders. However, you give any team the ball inside your own 30 and your bound to have difficulties winning the game.
With the raiders, there is no love lost between franchises and fans. So if anyone believes that for one minute we can walk into their house and just rip out a victory, then they haven't been paying attention the last few weeks. Of our 4 loses, 3 of them have been gift wrapped.
If the Steelers don't pull their heads out of their arses, it could be a challenging week.

BUT on that note, I do believe that the team will right the wrongs of last week and once again start a winning streak.

Elvis
10-25-2006, 08:39 AM
:coffee: So, Big D.. what your sayin is that the turnovers and penalties and bad times is not what is losing games for us right now? I agree that it seems a little weird to not see Bill with that Cowhering look on his face at times and maybe that is what this team needs... but Cowher aint the one out there throwing 7 Int's his first 2 games and it aint Cowher out there throwing the ball on the ground like Holmes and Parker and Haynes are doing ... All the blame is Not Cowhers...No Way...:tt02:

HometownGal
10-25-2006, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the props and for your class, silver & black. Much appreciated! :smile: Good luck to your Raiders on Sunday - hopefully they're going to need it. :wink02: :tt02:

I take NO team for granted, especially not in our present situation. Every game from here on out is a playoff game for the Steelers - there is no margin for error.

Big D
10-25-2006, 10:01 AM
:coffee: So, Big D.. what your sayin is that the turnovers and penalties and bad times is not what is losing games for us right now? I agree that it seems a little weird to not see Bill with that Cowhering look on his face at times and maybe that is what this team needs... but Cowher aint the one out there throwing 7 Int's his first 2 games and it aint Cowher out there throwing the ball on the ground like Holmes and Parker and Haynes are doing ... All the blame is Not Cowhers...No Way...:tt02:

very glad you brought all this up. There was no reason in the world for ben to come back as early as he did. That decision can be blamed on cowher. And after that critical fumble in the kc game holmes shouldnt have been returning punts either. Not to even mention the piss poor time management late in the game against the falcons are the bad decision challenging dunns td. I just think cowhers head isnt in the game this year

memphissteelergirl
10-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Personally, I think ANY loss from here on out could be potentially devastating. The Steelers just cannot afford to take any team lightly at this point.

I would love nothing more than to see Weird Al leaving his cushy owner's box with a huge skid mark in the back of that ancient white polyester leisure suit. :banana:

:toofunny: :toofunny: HA!! I still remember that! Heck it was butt ugly back in the '70s!

:fro:

vasteeler
10-25-2006, 01:37 PM
this game scares me a little if we cant stop fat, slow algee c how will we stop moss?

silver & black
10-25-2006, 03:49 PM
this game scares me a little if we cant stop fat, slow algee c how will we stop moss?

You won't need to... he'll just run his routs at half speed, because he only "play when I want to". :dang: