PDA

View Full Version : Ben Questionable For Sunday

Atlanta Dan
10-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Bill Cowher today declared quarterback Ben Roethlisberger as questionable for Sunday's Steelers game in Oakland and said he might practice on Wednesday.

Roethlisberger suffered a mild concussion last Sunday during the Steelers' 41-38 overtime loss in Atlanta.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06297/732512-100.stm

He should sit - Batch can handle Oakland but, if not, the risk is not worth it IMHO.

floodcitygirl
10-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks for this Dan. I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about any fines or actions being taken by the NFL on that hit?

Atlanta Dan
10-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks for this Dan. I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about any fines or actions being taken by the NFL on that hit?

I am linking to an interesting New York Times article that explains how the league office monitors the games as they are played on Sundays for hits that merit further review.

When something important happens, the person monitoring that game shouts out and has the play displayed on the big screen. That is why Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, face down on the field in Atlanta, appeared bigger than life for several minutes Sunday.

?Where is the helmet? I want to see the helmet,? [the NFL's vice president for officiating] said as he watched a frame-by-frame replay of the hit, which appeared to come from a defender?s shoulder as Roethlisberger ducked.

Within a minute, the phone rang, this time with a call from Atlanta, where Roethlisberger was still on the ground. Officiating observers, who are former officials, attend each game, and they check in periodically. ?I think the hit?s O.K.,? Pereira said on the phone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/24/sports/football/24refs.html?ref=sports

Not surprisingly, the two plays at the top of the list this week are Ben and Hasselbeck getting taken out. I am wondering if one reason Ben's hit was not flagged is because the refs probably blew the roughing call that cost the Bengals the Tampa game the previous week and the league office told the refs not to be so picky on roughing the QB.

stillers4me
10-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Hope they pay more attention to the calls than they do the chocolate chip cookies........

Btrice
10-24-2006, 01:26 PM

I am wondering if one reason Ben's hit was not flagged is because the refs probably blew the roughing call that cost the Bengals the Tampa game the previous week and the league office told the refs not to be so picky on roughing the QB.

Thanks for the info. I think you might be right. Officiating in any sport is so subjective that this kind of stuff happens all the time. Just last night the refs missed a call in my hockey game when I completely obliterated a guy well after he had already passed the puck. 20 seconds later I bump a guy in front of our goal who doesn't have the puck and tie him up ever so slightly and get an interference call. The first noncall was a penalty all the way, I wouldn't have argued it, but I sure argued the second call. Maybe a poor example, but I can see the same type of stuff happening in football.

Elvis
10-24-2006, 03:35 PM
:coffee: I agree that Ben should just sit for the Raiders game.. If we cant handle that team without Ben, then we dont deserve to be in the Play-Offs...:jawdrop: :helmet:

83-Steelers-43
10-24-2006, 03:58 PM
For those who want to listen to Cowher talking about Ben's health: http://kdka.com/video/?id=21321@kdka.dayport.com

Maidenarcher
10-24-2006, 04:34 PM
:coffee: I agree that Ben should just sit for the Raiders game.. If we cant handle that team without Ben, then we dont deserve to be in the Play-Offs...:jawdrop: :helmet:

I couldn't agree more!

floodcitygirl
10-24-2006, 07:37 PM
I am linking to an interesting New York Times article that explains how the league office monitors the games as they are played on Sundays for hits that merit further review.

When something important happens, the person monitoring that game shouts out and has the play displayed on the big screen. That is why Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, face down on the field in Atlanta, appeared bigger than life for several minutes Sunday.

?Where is the helmet? I want to see the helmet,? [the NFL's vice president for officiating] said as he watched a frame-by-frame replay of the hit, which appeared to come from a defender?s shoulder as Roethlisberger ducked.

Within a minute, the phone rang, this time with a call from Atlanta, where Roethlisberger was still on the ground. Officiating observers, who are former officials, attend each game, and they check in periodically. ?I think the hit?s O.K.,? Pereira said on the phone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/24/sports/football/24refs.html?ref=sports

Not surprisingly, the two plays at the top of the list this week are Ben and Hasselbeck getting taken out. I am wondering if one reason Ben's hit was not flagged is because the refs probably blew the roughing call that cost the Bengals the Tampa game the previous week and the league office told the refs not to be so picky on roughing the QB.Thanks again. I've heard sportswriters talk about it like it was just known that it was an illegal hit, but had heard nothing official.