PDA

View Full Version : Should Big Ben sit out this coming game?

Texasfan
10-24-2006, 05:17 PM
I'd hate to rush him back in and chance another concussion. As we know too many concussions leads to early retirement.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
10-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Yes me to let batch recieve some time.

83-Steelers-43
10-24-2006, 05:51 PM
I have the same opinion after his bike accident and after his surgery.

If the doc says it's not smart. If coach says it's not smart. Then don't play him.

If the doc gives him the thumbs up. If the coach gives him the thumbs up. If Ben feels fine. Then play him. The kid is finally getting/is hot.

Eitherway, if this team loses to the Raiders with Batch, we don't deserve the playoffs.

stillers4me
10-24-2006, 07:04 PM
If he's cleared, he'll play. I agree we don't need him for the Oakland game....... but he may need one game to clear his head again. Denver will out for revenge.....remember that target on our backs?

Atlanta Dan
10-24-2006, 07:15 PM
I have the same opinion after his bike accident and after his surgery.

If the doc says it's not smart. If coach says it's not smart. Then don't play him.

If the doc gives him the thumbs up. If the coach gives him the thumbs up. If Ben feels fine. Then play him. The kid is finally getting/is hot.

Eitherway, if this team loses to the Raiders with Batch, we don't deserve the playoffs.

With regard to getting clearance from the medical staff, I am linking to an article in ESPN The Magazine ("Doctor yes") that claims the NFL's doctor in charge of its studies on the impact of concussions (a rheumatologist, not a neurologist) is cooking the books with his studies regarding the long term impact of concussions. Anyone interested in whether or not Ben should play next week may want to read this article and consider if the NFL is spewing happy talk to minimize the consequences of multiple concussions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2636795&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

As a pro athlete, Ben is conditioned to "playing hurt." Team doctors are notorious for rushing players back. Cowher rushed Ben back once already this season; Cowher needs to sit Ben regardless of whether Ben and the team doc think it is OK for him to go. In addition, Ben's mentors Jim Kelley and Dan Marino need to have Ben talk with Steve Young and Troy Aikman.

Ben was knocked out Sunday and it was a scary sight; we do not know all the consequences of the accident but getting knocked out again 4 months later can't be anything positive.

PisnNapalm
10-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Yes. I would sit him out this next game. Batch should be able to run the offense well enough to crush Oakland.

lilyoder6
10-24-2006, 08:06 PM
in my opion i think we f...ed up when we brought ben back for the 2nd game of the season he was not rdy to come back yet and his first good game was against the cheifs... i think since we won the first game against the dolphins with batch we should've of let batch played more and let ben rest from his injuries, it's not like batch sucks, he is a very good qb for us

DoctorJanSteelerFan
10-24-2006, 09:01 PM
With regard to getting clearance from the medical staff, I am linking to an article in ESPN The Magazine ("Doctor yes") that claims the NFL's doctor in charge of its studies on the impact of concussions (a rheumatologist, not a neurologist) is cooking the books with his studies regarding the long term impact of concussions. Anyone interested in whether or not Ben should play next week may want to read this article and consider if the NFL is spewing happy talk to minimize the consequences of multiple concussions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2636795&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

As a pro athlete, Ben is conditioned to "playing hurt." Team doctors are notorious for rushing players back. Cowher rushed Ben back once already this season; Cowher needs to sit Ben regardless of whether Ben and the team doc think it is OK for him to go. In addition, Ben's mentors Jim Kelley and Dan Marino need to have Ben talk with Steve Young and Troy Aikman.
Ben was knocked out Sunday and it was a scary sight; we do not know all the consequences of the accident but getting knocked out again 4 months later can't be anything positive.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: Did I say I agree? Thanks for the link, Dan.
It is completely true about some team doctors being unscrupulous, unscientific idiots.

I can't stress it enough: It would be INSANE, medically negligent and potentially life-threatening if they allow Ben to play next week. (And, sorry to say, IMO much longer because this is his 2nd concussion AND he lost consciousness.) He also needs clearance from NON-NFL neurologist(s). Multiple concussions DO have cumulative effects. Prior concussions lower the threshold for subsequent concussion injury and increase symptom severity in even seemingly mild subsequent concussions. Post-concussion symptoms can be quite subtle and may go unnoticed by the athlete, team medical staff, or coaches. (Like Ben's 3-game sluggishness) :banging:

Is it worth jeopardizing his entire career for a few games? In other words, let's say Ben played this week against Oakland, was sacked, hit his head on the ground. The chances are much greater now not just that he would have a concussion but that he could sustain permanent brain injury and never play football again. So, let?s hope and pray NFL-affiliated and NON-NFL-affiliated neurologists will think of him as their own son or brother and not a money-making ?Star-QB? machine.

BASIC INFO ON CONCUSSIONS, if anyone is interested:
http://www.neurosurgery.pitt.edu/trauma/concussion.html
http://concussion.upmc.com/Treatment.htm

clarient
10-24-2006, 09:26 PM
:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

THANK YOU, DOCTOR JAN! I thought all along they brought him back too early, but bit my lip and let him play... if they bring him back too soon this time, I'm afraid that one more hit like that and he won't be getting up under his own power.

*holds candlelight vigil*

Stillers#1
10-24-2006, 09:28 PM
I say sit him out th rest of the season. Not b/c he is playing bad, but b/c Charlie is playing so good. Let Ben revover fully from his injuries. I don't think we would be throwing away the seasosn by letting Batch take the snaps the rest of the way.

Texasfan
10-24-2006, 10:32 PM
I think he should sit out. He's too valuable for the future to lose him.

Rotorhead
10-25-2006, 12:45 AM
I thought he should sit out the Jags game, but play after that. I think he should sit this game for sure and maybe a couple more. Batch has more than shown he can stand in for Ben and keep the O rolling. I just hope he at least sits this game. I would rather see him have no other lingering effects after this season than the team have a winning season. He has the potential to be a hall of famer IMO and if it requires the Steelers to have a bad season this season to have 15 good ones under his arm, well so be it.

skinart82
10-25-2006, 01:08 AM
Let Ben rest, Batch can handle the raiders

83-Steelers-43
10-25-2006, 03:42 AM
Big Ben appears ready to roll again at QB
His medical tests come back OK
Wednesday, October 25, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Not only are the chances good Ben Roethlisberger will start in Oakland Sunday, he might even return to practice when the Steelers begin preparing today for the Raiders.

"We'll see how he feels," coach Bill Cowher said yesterday.

After all, what's a little smack to the head by a 277-pound defensive end after you've been splattered all over Second Avenue? Roethlisberger keeps on ticking, through a broken face from his June 12 motorcycle accident, a Sept. 3 appendectomy and now a mild concussion from Sunday's game in Atlanta.

Yesterday, he acknowledged he's tired of visiting doctors after enduring a series of tests Sunday night and Monday in which he came through with another passing grade.

"He had an MRI done on his brain and neck. Both of those came back normal," Cowher said. "We also did the impact test, the concussion test. We're very encouraged by the results. We'll monitor his progress as the week goes on."

And, in case anyone missed it, Cowher repeated, "Again, I emphasize that we're very encouraged by where he's at as we speak today."

Cowher officially will list his quarterback as "questionable" on the injury list today and that officially means he has a 50 percent chance of playing. Unofficially, it's probably up to the quarterback himself, and he has a history of going full steam ahead.

So, after another glitch, Roethlisberger can try to maintain the momentum he has had the past two weeks before Atlanta's Chauncey Davis played helmet tag with him in the third quarter Sunday, which should wind up being a costly game for the Falcons' defensive end when the NFL announces his fine this week.

Over the past two games, Roethlisberger completed 32 of 41 passes for 476 yards, five touchdowns and no interceptions. That produced a near-perfect passer rating of 154.62 with an average gain per attempt of 11.6 yards, about double what he had through his first three games.

"Obviously we've been throwing the ball very well and not turning it over," Cowher said. "I think that's a big thing. We've cut down on the interceptions."

Roethlisberger seemed to be a different quarterback the past two games than he was in his first three, which came after he missed the opener because of his appendectomy. He threw seven interceptions in those three games and no touchdowns.

"He's looked very comfortable and the receivers have done a good job running crisp routes," Cowher said. "I see us throwing the ball before a guy gets out of a break. And that's when I know we're starting to get our timing back.

"That's been a carryover from practices -- they've gotten better from that standpoint. He's played well and our offense has played well the last couple of weeks."

Roethlisberger's agent, Ryan Tollner, explained that entering his third season Roethlisberger wasn't just trying to get over the injuries from his motorcycle accident and then the appendectomy. He wanted to improve upon his first two seasons in the league, to become a better quarterback than he was last season.

In the past two games, Roethlisberger did that. Will his latest crash course derail that, or will it be just another bump in the road?

While Roethlisberger passed all the necessary medical tests, he must pass them again before he suits up in Oakland.

"He took the test and will take the test again later in the week to make sure he is cleared medically before we would subject him to playing," Cowher said. "But we are encouraged by where he was yesterday and how he felt today. But again, it's too early to make a final decision on that. We will definitely do so by taking all necessary precautions to make sure he is cleared."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06298/732710-66.stm

Atlanta Dan
10-25-2006, 08:42 AM
If you leave it up to Ben he of course will play. The head coach needs to step in and show some leadership by sitting him.

Keeping Ben's momentum going during a lost season (we are not talking whether he should start in a playoff game here) at the risk to his long term future is a no brainer, but Cowher has not been on top of his game since the Super Bowl. So I guess he will play and I will hold my breath every time he drops back to pass.

19ward86
10-25-2006, 08:46 AM
batch can handle it agianst the raiders

HometownGal
10-25-2006, 09:02 AM
I believe Ben should stop being so damned stubborn and sit out this Sunday. Batch has played very well in the two games where he was called upon thus far, so why tempt fate if the Steelers have a viable alternative? It's a no-brainer (pardon the pun) here - sit Ben for the Raiders game and play it safe. One more blow to or fall on the noggin could possibly end his very young career - it just isn't worth the risk.

floodcitygirl
10-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Oops.

floodcitygirl
10-25-2006, 09:17 AM
So I guess he will play and I will hold my breath every time he drops back to pass.That's what I'm thinking. (sigh)

memphissteelergirl
10-25-2006, 10:11 AM
I believe Ben should stop being so damned stubborn and sit out this Sunday. Batch has played very well in the two games where he was called upon thus far, so why tempt fate if the Steelers have a viable alternative? It's a no-brainer (pardon the pun) here - sit Ben for the Raiders game and play it safe. One more blow to or fall on the noggin could possibly end his very young career - it just isn't worth the risk.

Hear, here!

:iagree:

Big D
10-25-2006, 10:14 AM
I said this before the season started. Let him rest and dont bring him back until he is nothing less then 110%. I think by rushing him the way the steelers and ben did they potentially cost us three loses.

klick81
10-25-2006, 11:28 AM
:dang:

moedap
10-25-2006, 02:49 PM
I agree with those who say sit him out. I would sit him out for the next 3 games. It cant help the lineman be relaxed knowing one little mistake could end their young QB's career. Oakland(Brian St. Pierre could win), Denver(it is going to be a defensive battle), New Orleans(they have no defense). If Batch wins all 3 keep him going.

herewegosteelers
10-25-2006, 04:38 PM
:kiss02: I would like noting more then to see Big Ben on the field Sunday.
But I want to see him more next year and the following years. He has been threw so much, I would hate to see something happen to him to where he would never be able to play ball again. It is a game that Batch & our boys can handle. Get healthy Ben & come back & kick some seriuos Butty!!!!

Stillers43
10-26-2006, 09:06 PM
I don't know about the whole season, but he should sit at least this week out against the lowly Raiders.