PDA

View Full Version : Youth of skill players + New FS = 2-4 record

moedap
10-25-2006, 07:24 AM
Earlier in the year there was an article on Ryan Clark and the departure of Chris Hope and it was mentioned that Chris Hope had the responsibility of calling out the DB's alignment. The article questioned if R.C. would be able to take over that role. Seeing as to how the secondary is being burned on obvious passing downs I would say he hasnt been doing a good job of that but I still like him as a player. You couple this with the fact that a majority of our skill players are young/rookie it is easy to see how the turnovers are happening and why teams capitalize on them.

Skill Player Age Years being counted on

Willie Parker 25 1.5
Santonio Holmes 22 .5
Ricardo Coclough 24 .5(as a skill player(return man)
Willie Reid 24 .5
Ben Roth 24 2.5
Nate Wash 23 .6
Heath Miller 24 1.5

I like the future of this team. The O line isnt that old. And the defense is relatively young except for the linebackers.

Elvis
10-25-2006, 07:50 AM
:tt02: I agree with most of that thread... Our team is young as a whole, but our o line is gettin a little up there... with Hartings at C and Marvell Smith at LT and Alen Faneca they are not gettin any younger and we are building for the future there with Colon and Keomateau.. Starks of course is young but he is a work in progress in my opinion.. Our defense will always rebuild as we go and usually always be ahead of our offense in that sense..:helmet:

stlrtruck
10-25-2006, 10:45 AM
This is the NFL and it shouldn't matter on your age. If you have a responsibility, then handle it. If you can't, then the coaches have to find someone else on the team to take care of that in order to win games.
Young or not, do what is required of you to call plays or hand over the responsibility to someone who understands the scheme better.

MACH1
10-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Doesnt matter how old they are, they all have hands and need to use them to hold on to the ball.:dang:

Atlanta Dan
10-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Hard to blame Ryan Clark for Townsend consistently getting out jumped; I actually understand Clark to be one of the few players performing beyond expectations.

This team caught lightning in a bottle last January but was fortunate to play Chicago, Minesota, Cleveland and Detroit down the stretch to make the playoffs while San Diego and KC imploded. This is not to minimize how great last season was, but it was not a great team that did it.

The margin for error in this league is not that great and while he is no star as a WR I attribute 2 losses to Randle-El not being back to handle punts. If this team were 4-2 everything would be ducky but some seasons just do not work out.

Jeremy
10-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Turnovers = 2-4

The team is 2-0 when winning the turnover battle and 0-4 when losing the turnover battle. That's pretty simple math people. Stop blaming our record on not having Bettis or on Cowher "mailing it in" this season. We've been terrible at hanging on to the ball and that's the bottom line.

Stop turning the ball over and we start winning.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-25-2006, 01:15 PM
I agree the turn overs are killing us and is the main reason that has hurt us so far. But the person that made this thread makes a very good point. Part of the turn overs could be of the youth and the transition takes place when you do have young players on the team. There is going to be an adjustment period. When this team starts clicking and plays consistently then watch out.

Atlanta Dan
10-25-2006, 04:07 PM
I agree the turn overs are killing us and is the main reason that has hurt us so far. But the person that made this thread makes a very good point. Part of the turn overs could be of the youth and the transition takes place when you do have young players on the team. There is going to be an adjustment period. When this team starts clicking and plays consistently then watch out.

In 2007? As far as this year goes, only 10 games to go (tick-tock/tick-tock)

Stillers43
10-25-2006, 06:46 PM
Turnovers are by far the reason for our 2-4 record. If Coclough doesn't take a punt off his helmet, we beat Cincy. If we didn't give the Falcons great field position from fumbles, we beat them too. Ints killed us against Jax. SD was the only team that outplayed us, and we played very well the 1st half against them.

19ward86
10-25-2006, 06:59 PM
i like the post, young players have hurt us and helped us.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-25-2006, 06:59 PM
In 2007? As far as this year goes, only 10 games to go (tick-tock/tick-tock)

Yes the Steelers are in a hole at 2-4. But this team has the talent to win 8 games in a row. If that happens and with a couple Ravens and Bengals losses then the Steelers are back in the AFC North hunt.

Look at the games remaining on the schedule.

at Oak
Denver
New Orleans
2 games with the Browns
2 games with the Ravens
at Cincy
at Carolina
Tampa Bay

Its very possible the Steelers win 9 out of 10.

The Steelers should beat the Raiders, Browns twice and the Bucs.

I'm not sold on the Broncos or Saints even though they both are 5-1. Plus both are at Pittsburgh.

I think the Ravens are overrated and the Steelers can win both of them games as well.

To me the toughest games are at Carolina and at Cincy. Plus at Baltimore will be tough.

I just think and believe the Steelers best football is still ahead of them.

Atlanta Dan
10-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Well, since I assume they will not go 6-10, I agree the Steelers best football is ahead this year.

As for where that gets them, Ed.B. of the P-G sums up my view with today's Q&A:

Question: Can a realistic case be made for the Steelers to make the playoffs this year? I don't think so. I cannot see them going 9-1 or 8-2 the rest of the way.

BOUCHETTE: I think the Steelers, and their record, have reached a point where the fans now need to take it one game at a time. While the Steelers have been in the game until the end in each of their four losses, they still are 2-4. Nothing they've done would suggest they can go 9-1 or 8-2, but that's what they must do in order to make the playoffs. Can they do it? Sure. Will they? At this point it's doubtful, but last year is too fresh in everyones' minds to write them off yet

SteelCityMan786
10-25-2006, 08:46 PM
I see the Steelers being able to go 12-4. No doubts. The worst 11-5

SteelersWoman
10-25-2006, 11:06 PM
SD was the only team that outplayed us, and we played very well the 1st half against them.

And our guys COULD have won that SD game if it had been the same team that went out to play against KC. But they just didn't seem to really be into the SD game, and if you only play 2 quarters (and not even do THAT to the best of your capabilities), you're not gonna win anything--against most anybody, and especially teams that are gunning for your spot at #1.

I know there are alot of people saying we could be at 4-2, some say at 5-1, but I truly think this team has the capabilities and talent to be sitting at 6-0 right now--they just aren't. Either because of TOs, or lack luster play, or only playin 1/2 to 3/4 of a game, or missing assignments, or a combination of some sort.

Think about it--we haven't been behind in ONE game by more than 10 points this season--and that only happened once. The rest were like 9 points, 8 points, THREE points... So if their level of play was stepped up to where it needs to be, stopped missing assignments and blocks, no TOs, playin the whole game--we win ALL 6 of those games.

Perhaps I have too MUCH confidence in what I think they can do, but I really think they're "capable" of having won all of them--they just haven't. I don't think we've faced a team that is better than our guys are--if they're playin their best.

SteelersWoman
10-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Out of the remaining games left, I would feel worst if our guys were to lose to the Raiders, the Browns, and again to Cincy. Even all the rest I could handle, but NOT those 3 teams...

paw-n-maul-u
10-25-2006, 11:16 PM
our team has "Got it" only one game this year ... kansas city was the only team that we put it all together and played anywhere near our 04-05 form ... this post pretty much sums up our problems ... we have a lot of great talent that is just young and working the kinks out ... we have so much good depth on offense to work with for the future that our team is going to be absolutely SCARY the next couple years ... losing chris hope really hurt our defense ... randle el and the bus really provided some good veteran leadership and their experience in the game didnt cause as many mental errors ... those are whats killing us right now

SteelCityPride
10-26-2006, 03:44 PM
I dont know, the steelers are getting some very bad breaks but their play is very inconsistent. I know it is hard to blame a lot on the defense due to the situations that the are put in, but against atlanta, you take any of those td's off of turnovers away and give them a fieldgoal and we win the game. I think the Steelers with this group of guys has the potential to be very very good. The O Line definately needs to play more consistently, they looked good against KC and for the majority of the game against atlanta, but they have to always be good. Look at a team like Arizona and you wille asily see how important your oline is. I don't know if all of this that has been going on is correctable in the near future or not. I mean the people are fumbling for a reason, it is not like this is a video game and we give the person a rating and say well he has carried 150 times now, time for him to fumble. I mean Santonio does not cover the ball well when he is returning punts. Willie has fumbled more than I would like to see a feature running back fumble in the past two years, well based on the reliable Bettis who rarely ever fumbled until Indy. But anaywas, I am keeping the faith that this season is still salvagable, but you have to realize there is more to fumbling than just luck, the guys on the other side of the ball are good to and if a player isnt protecting it well, it is coming out.

BozMan
10-26-2006, 06:41 PM
The fumbles have to be by far the most frustrating part of this season so far. Young guys or not, everyone on the Steelers is a professional football player. They all should know how to carry and protect the football by now. If they can't protect the ball, they deserve to lose, regardless of how good they look on paper.