PDA

View Full Version : NFL Fines 3 Steelers

83-Steelers-43
10-27-2006, 01:39 AM
Steelers Notebook: NFL fines 3 for celebration
Friday, October 27, 2006

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The three receivers who took part in a touchdown celebration in Atlanta that resulted in an unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty -- Hines Ward, Nate Washington and Santonio Holmes -- each have been fined $5,000. But it wasn't by the Steelers.

The players were notified yesterday they have been fined by the NFL for excessively celebrating Washington's 10-yard touchdown catch against the Atlanta Falcons in the second quarter, a celebration that resulted in a 15-yard penalty on the ensuing kickoff and nearly led to an Atlanta touchdown.

"It doesn't sit well with me," said Washington, who said he will consider an appeal. "But I got to deal with it."

Washington is actually an innocent victim. As he was celebrating his third touchdown catch of the season, Ward came up behind him and also started to dance. They were joined by Holmes, the rookie No. 1 pick. Each player said the celebration was spontaneous.

The fine hurts Washington a little more because he will earn the second-year minimum of $385,000 this season, a lot less than Ward and Holmes.

"I need to talk to one of the coaches and see what I can do," Washington said.

It was the second time in less than a month the Steelers have had players fined by the league for an excessive touchdown celebrations. Willie Parker and Verron Haynes said they were each fined $5,000 for celebrating Parker's second touchdown in a Sept. 24 game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

"That will get your attention real fast," Parker said.

That penalty, along with Mike Logan's 15-yard taunting penalty against the Bengals, angered coach Bill Cowher and prompted him to promise such penalties would not happen again.

Porter set to return

Outside linebacker Joey Porter, who has missed the past two games with a hamstring injury, was upgraded from questionable to probable on the injury report and should start Sunday against the Oakland Raiders, Cowher said.

Porter, who never had a hamstring injury before this season, has practiced the past two days.

"He's looked very well," Cowher said. "Barring any setbacks, he should be fine."

Townsend likely to start

After starting the past two games at right cornerback, Bryant McFadden likely will return to his role as the team's nickel back against the Raiders.

McFadden started against Kansas City and Atlanta because Deshea Townsend, the starter, was nursing a hamstring injury. Townsend played on a limited basis, assuming McFadden's role as the nickel back against the Chiefs and Falcons.

"I'm back," Townsend said. "I was just resting my hamstring."

Cowher indicated earlier in the week the starting position might be up for grabs. He reiterated that stance yesterday, saying he hasn't determined which player will start in Oakland.

"Personally, I kinda thought [Townsend] was still banged up," McFadden said, explaining why he started. 'I didn't ask any questions. They just told me go with the flow, so I did. It's not up to me."

Hampton not happy

Several days after it happened, nose tackle Casey Hampton is still upset about the cut-blocking techniques employed by the Atlanta Falcons. But it was one play in particular that angered Hampton.

In the second quarter, while chasing down a pass, Hampton said Falcons guard Tyson Clabo jumped on the back of his legs from behind. Hampton got to his feet and began cursing Clabo.

"I don't mind you chop-blocking me at the line of scrimmage or in the box, but, when you run after me down the field and jump on top of my legs, you're just trying to hurt me," Hampton said. "That's personal. That's how I see it."

Hampton said he protested to an official when no penalty was called.

"I cursed the official out and [Clabo] out. How do you not see that? You're just giving in and saying you can't block someone, so I'm gonna dive at your legs."

Hampton's hamstring was injured against the Falcons, but not on that play. It happened later in the game, and he missed most of the second half. Hampton is listed as questionable on the injury report and did not practice for the second day in a row.

Hampton said he expects to play against the Raiders, but Cowher said, "I think that's his optimism and desire to get back in there. We have not upgraded him [on the injury report] and he has not practiced."

Quick hits

Outside linebacker Clark Haggans (ankle/questionable) did not practice for the second day in a row. Wide receiver Cedrick Wilson (groin/questionable) returned to practice. ... Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, was at the team offices yesterday for a union meeting with the players.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06300/733403-66.stm

FleshBomb
10-27-2006, 01:40 AM
Man, that sucks. Lose the game and some change.

And I guess since no falcons were fined the NFL agrees that the KO hit on Ben was legit. Good call NFL. Nice clean jaw busting hit.

hellbread
10-27-2006, 01:57 AM
well if thats the case then they need to fine every celebration call... which isnt the case and therefore i again say consistency is a problem.

FleshBomb
10-27-2006, 01:59 AM
well if thats the case then they need to fine every celebration call... which isnt the case and therefore i again say consistency is a problem.

This celebration crap is just stupid. I had no problem with them dancing after that TD.

Steelersfan4life0655
10-27-2006, 02:00 AM
man, after read all this stuff , i didnt realize that atlanta was that cheap and dirty. :kick:

FleshBomb
10-27-2006, 02:05 AM
man, after read all this stuff , i didnt realize that atlanta was that cheap and dirty. :kick:

41-38. Scoreboard!

MACH1
10-27-2006, 02:08 AM
41-38. Scoreboard!

5 - 0 Superbowls Troll

hellbread
10-27-2006, 02:13 AM
the score is for a different thread. but i think the celebration foul is to keep shit from gettin like it did on the movie 'basketball' with the river dancing and shit. i for one am for it. they can get to the sidelines and group celebrate. i do NOT want to see a cincy group chicken dance ANYTIME SOON. just my opinion.

Jeremy
10-27-2006, 02:41 AM
41-38. Scoreboard!

5-0

The only stat that counts.

Goodbye redneck.

83-Steelers-43
10-27-2006, 03:02 AM
Amazing that this troll has lasted this long. Brings zero to the table. Basically hijacks every thread and spews his B.S. Nice.

hellbread
10-27-2006, 03:08 AM
Amazing that this troll has lasted this long. Brings zero to the table. Basically hijacks every thread and spews his B.S. Nice.

zero to the table is right. guy thinks mike vick is the best thing since sliced bread. apparently mike vick has a better winning percentage than ben... is faster than troy even though troy disapproved that on national tv. but you know. what do we know to him we are lowly steeler fans.

Jeremy
10-27-2006, 03:20 AM
He's probably been smoking weed with Vick and hitting 14 year olds with Mike's brother Marcus.

DoctorJanSteelerFan
10-27-2006, 03:27 AM
Is it just me or does this "excessive celebration" penalty stuff seem un-American and way out of hand? Where could it end?
(German accent, Whip cracking:whip: ) Zjou veel NAUGHT be happy. Zjou veel NOT smile. Zjou veel NAUGHT jump up und down in zee ennzone. ZISS EEZ NAUGHT A GAME!

You guys are so right about inconsistency. The NFL has lost their collective minds. They arbitrarily call stupid penalties, ignore calling many serious penalties, support erroneous medical studies showing concussions are really nothing serious, and then make up kindergarten rules you can't celebrate touchdowns except by yourself... and they're inconsistent in that too.

This AIN'T just a Steeler thing. This is an NFL thing. It's a freaking GAME.

One idea: Maybe we should get EVERY fan in EVERY stadium in EVERY game for EVERY touchdown to yell DANCE, DAMNIT, DANCE!?!?!
:celebrate :hyper: :hyper: :getdown: :getdown: :danceshout: :chicken: :tt02:
By the way, where is this dumb penalty money going? Charity? I kinda doubt it.

Jeremy
10-27-2006, 03:33 AM
Let's face it everyone, the NFL will be damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Everyone and their brother complained last year during the playoffs because of the downright lousy officiating. And guess what, they had every right to complain. Bad calls were made in the Colts game and in the Super Bowl.

So now the NFL, under the leadership of Roger Duhdell, has overreacted and is cracking down on stupid and useless things.

I'm even willing to accept that the hit on Roth wasn't helmet to helmet. But it's not about that anymore. It's about Falcons fans cheering an injury to an opposing player. That just shows what lowlifes most Falcons fans really are.

hellbread
10-27-2006, 03:41 AM
Let's face it everyone, the NFL will be damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Everyone and their brother complained last year during the playoffs because of the downright lousy officiating. And guess what, they had every right to complain. Bad calls were made in the Colts game and in the Super Bowl.

So now the NFL, under the leadership of Roger Duhdell, has overreacted and is cracking down on stupid and useless things.

I'm even willing to accept that the hit on Roth wasn't helmet to helmet. But it's not about that anymore. It's about Falcons fans cheering an injury to an opposing player. That just shows what lowlifes most Falcons fans really are.

hey man dont be like that...i meen damn even us steeler fans have to some some sympathy...next year they are gonna be able to say 'even though the saints and panthers beat us in the south... we still knocked out the BACK TO BACK super bowl quarterback' im just sayin...they gotta talk about somtin. :tt02:

Tha rock
10-27-2006, 03:49 AM
i dont think porter should play this game becuse hes still a little hurt but ohh well i wanna see the steelers at there best. I dont think my raiders have a chance but here is too a good game.

hellbread
10-27-2006, 03:54 AM
ya it should be a good game... i just hope that no matter how the game goes u dont turn into a troll on this site like so many before you. i said in another thread that i look for this game to be a good defensive game that we havent seen in quite some time. good luck to you rock man this budz for ya. :cheers:

Jeremy
10-27-2006, 04:01 AM
I'm not worried about trolls this week. Tha Raiders are old school rivals and somewhere John Madden is going crazy because he can't be in the booth for this game.

hellbread
10-27-2006, 04:36 AM
I'm not worried about trolls this week. Tha Raiders are old school rivals and somewhere John Madden is going crazy because he can't be in the booth for this game.

lmao aint that the truth but look out he is on the move! :yeehaw:

X-Terminator
10-27-2006, 06:40 AM

It ain't amazing to me...

SteelersWoman
10-27-2006, 07:11 AM
..... It's about Falcons fans cheering an injury to an opposing player. That just shows what lowlifes most Falcons fans really are.

I think that Falcons fans are just like our fans (or anyone else's). There are the good, the bad, and the ugly. However--I'd like to copy and paste some comments made to me on a Falcons site after I congratulated them on the great game played Sunday between our teams and wished them well in the next:

Bronn: And we all hope Big Ben can play this Sunday. Even though Batch looks extremely good filling in.

Daz: Thank you kindly. And dont worry about your record, you guys are one of the best teams in football.

Warrickdunnwell: Steeler fans are better then Saints,Panthers,Bucs, and Bengal fans lol

Abraham: Classy post. Good luck to your team

Falcgal: StlrsWoman...Want you to know that I was at the game Sunday, and the Pittsburgh fans around me were great! Loved their passion for their team, something Atlanta fans can learn from.
Yes, I had palpitations in the 4th quarter....also had them in the 3rd, when Ben went down, and I don't think I breathed until I saw his feet moving. Sure hope he's OK.
Here's to a good season for us both!

Pzummo: Thank you. Very classy post. Sorry about what happened to Big Ben. And sorry if our player really said that to him, it was uncalled for and classless. Good luck with the rest of your season, and hope to see Ben out their this Sunday. P.S. We'll do our best to help you out in your division this week! (I never said a word in my post about one of their players taunting Big Ben) .

ERDoc: Classy post from a great sportswoman. That will be a game we all remember for a long time. Steeler's fan are usually a class act. I am a big Broncos fan also. I went to the Denver/Pitt AFC championship last year in Denver. Everyone was very respectable despite them handing us a royal a-- whipping. Hats off to you!

There were other posts, but this was the jist from their fans...So we can't label everyone the same--this shows that some Falcons fans behave with class as well--when they're treated with it, I have a feeling a lot of us are that way :smile: We can't hold against all what a few do.

Atlanta Dan
10-27-2006, 08:07 AM

When you get to the end zone, act like you have been there before and just hand the ball to the referee

CrimsonSteeler3443
10-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Thats retarted!!!!

HometownGal
10-27-2006, 08:38 AM

When you get to the end zone, act like you have been there before and just hand the ball to the referee

Amen Dan. :thumbsup: Celebrate your TD on the sidelines with the rest of your teammates instead of jumping around like pee-wee leaguers.

Big D
10-27-2006, 09:04 AM
N.F.L
No
Fun
League
I love the touchdown celebrations. Even though sadly they were inspired by the icky shuffle. But I loved deion sanders high steps and dances. And I think we all couldnt wait to see what steve smith, t.o. and even deucsh chad johnson did when they reached the end zone. I think the nfl has cracked down way to hard on players

Stillers43
10-27-2006, 09:06 AM
There is a real problem with consistency in the NFL. TD celebrations are a fun part of the NFL game. Let them be! As for hits on QB, either let them play or call it everytime.

19ward86
10-27-2006, 09:07 AM
i heard about the chop blocking last week and i was hoping it wouldnt happen to us, they do it because they arent good lineman.

tony hipchest
10-27-2006, 09:41 AM
for the least penalized team in the nfl its a little disheartenning to see so many celebration and taunting penalties. its never been a problem with the steelers in the past.

while i appreciate nates, willies, and santonios youthful exuberance, untill they quit fumbling/dropping the ball, they need to leave the celebrations to porter, hines, foote, and the bettis type players.

Btrice
10-27-2006, 11:23 AM
I think that Hines and Santonio need to each give Washington $2500 if Nate can't get the judgement reversed in appeal.

As for the rule itself, its one of the dumbest in the recent history of the NFL. I've always enjoyed seeing the players act a fool in the endzone.

Atlanta Dan
10-27-2006, 11:47 AM
I think that Hines and Santonio need to each give Washington $2500 if Nate can't get the judgement reversed in appeal.

As for the rule itself, its one of the dumbest in the recent history of the NFL. I've always enjoyed seeing the players act a fool in the endzone.

The NFL pretty clearly will allow a single player to do anything he wants in the end zone - regardless of whether that is a a good idea or not that ship has sailed (with the best illustration of where that has taken us being the ESPN ad where Chad Johnson goes to Bristol to hear presentations on suggested celebrations).

What the NFL wants to avoid is entire teams joining in the festivities and therefore says nobody can join in. I recall that rule was implemented in the 1980s after the Redskins "Fun Bunch" celebration had at least a half dozen players joining for a group hug in the end zone and then jumping up in unison to celebrate a TD.

Unless you want to have an entire team come out and party after each TD, the only enforceable rule is zero tolerance for anyone joining the player whom is celebrating. I fail to see what is dumb about that.

However, even if it is a dumb rule the Steelers certainly knew about it after Haynes ran off the da**ed bench to join Parker in the Cincy game and got flagged. Shame on team leader Hines Ward for joining Nate on Sunday (Holmes is beyond hope and probably figured if Hines was doing it everything was OK) and shame on Cowher requiring the league to step in and impose fines rather than imposing fines or one game suspensions himself on Monday.

83-Steelers-43
10-27-2006, 11:56 AM
The NFL pretty clearly will allow a single player to do anything he wants in the end zone - regardless of whether that is a a good idea or not that ship has sailed (with the best illustration of where that has taken us being the ESPN ad where Chad Johnson goes to Bristol to hear presentations on suggested celebrations).

What the NFL wants to avoid is entire teams joining in the festivities and therefore says nobody can join in. I recall that rule was implemented in the 1980s after the Redskins "Fun Bunch" celebration had at least a half dozen players joining for a group hug in the end zone and then jumping up in unison to celebrate a TD.

Unless you want to have an entire team come out and party after each TD, the only enforceable rule is zero tolerance for anyone joining the player whom is celebrating. I fail to see what is dumb about that.

However, even if it is a dumb rule the Steelers certainly knew about it after Haynes ran off the da**ed bench to join Parker in the Cincy game and got flagged. Shame on team leader Hines Ward for joining Nate on Sunday (Holmes is beyond hope and probably figured if Hines was doing it everything was OK) and shame on Cowher requiring the league to step in and impose fines rather than imposing fines or one game suspensions himself on Monday.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Well stated. :thumbsup:

Elvis
10-27-2006, 12:03 PM
:coffee: The Falcons O Linemen have got to do this kind of chop blocking because there are not any good at standing up and being men in the trencches. They are outsized and out athleticed as well... thats the reason they have got to be cheap shotters. When you know that your gonna be out phyicaled you got to do something... As far as the Falcon fans...Just man up and play some football..:chicken: :tt02: :tt02:

memphissteelergirl
10-27-2006, 12:10 PM
[I]

I agree with that to a certain point. I don't have a problem with TD celebrations as long as they don't get in the opposing players' faces or become what is obviously a ploy to get on the "Sportscenter" highlights. Remember a few years back the player(think he played for N.O.) who pretended to make a call on a cell phone after scoring? Now that was stupid!!

Now these kind of TD celebrations I don't mind:

High-fiving your teammates
Doing a "slam dunk" over the goalpost
Leaping into the stands...that's a rush for the fans! (as long as it's not into a group of fans of the opposing team...that could get ugly :wink02: )
And a little celebratory dancing is all right I think....just as long as it's in good fun...and taste.

My all-time favorite TD dance...Billy "White Shoes" Johnson of the old Houston Oilers (yeah, I know...I'm old school :fro: )

Need4spd
10-27-2006, 12:31 PM
41-38. Scoreboard!

Jim Rome called and he said he wants his quote back. Thanks for being original buddy boy.

As far as these fines go, give me a mother flippin break already. Now I'll be honest, I'm not a particuarly big fan of these elaborate endzone celebrations. If you want to spike the ball, fine, if you have some other little innocuous gesture that you like to make when you score, fine. I personally find most of this other stuff classless, that's just my own opinion. Go celebrate on the sidelines with your teammates, and please, please act like you've been there before.

Having said all that, doesn't the NFL front office have bigger fish to fry these days? This league is far from perfect, and I can think of approximately eleventeen thousand other things more important than handing out chump change fines to multi-millionaires for dancing. I mean come on now, we're talking about dancing here. Besides, most of the time these guys look like idiots out there anyways.

Hey Shawne Merriman, how's that anabolic steroid thing workin out for ya? 4 games... Yeah okay, that's logical.

Btrice
10-27-2006, 02:10 PM

I agree with your reasoning and I also agree that having half the team out there celebrating would be a problem but I dont agree about the zero tolerance. Zero tolerance schemes best be left for the TSA employees who don't have enough collective brain cells between them to determine that a half filled half-gallon zip lock bag is roughly the same as a filled quart sized ziplock, so therefore the TSA wont allow any bags over the quart size.

NFL referees should be able to make a judgement call within certain guidelines as for determining the penalty. Like: Are there more than 2 players involved? Did the 2nd player come from over 20 yards away or the sideline to join in? Is the celebration going over 10 seconds in length?

If the NFL cannot recruit referees with the ability to make intelligent on the fly judgement calls based on their heightened observation skills (which by watching all NFL games for the past couple years you could easily say they can't) then something major needs to happen in terms of overhauling the referee core.

SteelerFanInCA
10-27-2006, 03:38 PM
The NFL is so full of crap. 5000 bucks for some stupid dance? They need to take that money and figure out how to keep players out of jail. Simply bull shit.

WisconsinSteelerMan
10-27-2006, 07:00 PM
OK... I don't post here often, but I lurk and listen to the great folks on this site all the time. I hate to disagree, but I have to.

It is absolutely PATHETIC that this rule is in existence!! As long as you aren't getting into the opposing team's face, there should be a BUNCH of leeway. There is NO one harmed by it, and the guys on the team are ALL ADULTS. Look at Soccer and Hockey. A goal is a CROWNING achievement and is celebrated by the whole team. Look at baseball...when a team wins the "big game" the whole team comes out and does a "flesh pile" on the pitcher's mound and no one gets fined. I think that the celebrations are genuine and the guys are excited about what they are doing for the team.

As to the chop blocks that ATL was passing out, it is just NOT RIGHT and should be fined. It is dirty minded and designed to INJURE players. Absolutely insane that these things weren't caught by the refs, and even worse that they were not caught on the replay tapes by the big wigs and FINED...

Sorry to speak out after lurking for so long, but this plain old "TICKED ME OFF!!!!"

Here's to CELEBRATING ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPERBOWL.....

I BELIEVE...DO YOU BELIEVE?????????????????????????

MACH1
10-27-2006, 08:40 PM
I think they should let them celebrate a little. As long as there?s no sharpies, phones, pom poms, or running back out to the middle of the field to dance on whatever?s team?s symbol?s.
:cheer:

tony hipchest
10-27-2006, 10:49 PM
a patriot ran up to another pat (possibly dillon) during celebration last week and was not fined. there are inconsistancies. one player hugging another in the endzone, or patting them on the back can now levy a fine and flag.

with that being said it looks like nate and santonio are banging on the door of the c. johnson and t.o club, instead of respectfully walking through the open door of the marvin harrison and t. holt club.

and dont talk about hines. i think he has EARNED the right to poke a little fun at the likes of t.o, c.j., jamal anderson and the falcons and all those who have always been placed above him and his work ethic and character.

Jeremy
10-27-2006, 10:53 PM
OK... I don't post here often, but I lurk and listen to the great folks on this site all the time. I hate to disagree, but I have to.

It is absolutely PATHETIC that this rule is in existence!! As long as you aren't getting into the opposing team's face, there should be a BUNCH of leeway. There is NO one harmed by it, and the guys on the team are ALL ADULTS. Look at Soccer and Hockey. A goal is a CROWNING achievement and is celebrated by the whole team. Look at baseball...when a team wins the "big game" the whole team comes out and does a "flesh pile" on the pitcher's mound and no one gets fined. I think that the celebrations are genuine and the guys are excited about what they are doing for the team.

As to the chop blocks that ATL was passing out, it is just NOT RIGHT and should be fined. It is dirty minded and designed to INJURE players. Absolutely insane that these things weren't caught by the refs, and even worse that they were not caught on the replay tapes by the big wigs and FINED...

Sorry to speak out after lurking for so long, but this plain old "TICKED ME OFF!!!!"

Here's to CELEBRATING ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPERBOWL.....

I BELIEVE...DO YOU BELIEVE?????????????????????????

Not really much I can add except you're the first Steeler fan I've seen from Wisconsin.

polamalufan43
10-28-2006, 01:10 PM
haha... I'm officially calling that dance the "Steeler Smokebomb"

Actually, I wouldn't really mind the dancing. I mean, it's not like they were taunting everyone. I mean, I agree with that whole getting the cheerleaders/team onto the field and start dancing, now that would be excessive. I mean Hines has his Riverdance/moon walk, Nate now has his smokebomb, McFadden has his "old man strut", Larry foote has "the stomp" J-Peezy has "The Boot" Troy's hair dances for him. The dancing isn't going to stop that easily.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

P.S. If Chad Johnson or someone else did that they would let them get away with it...