PDA

View Full Version : Why all the hating on the defense?

paw-n-maul-u
10-27-2006, 01:05 PM
I just want to point out that ATL had five TD drives of 18, 25, 26, 51, and 75 yards ... steelers had 5 TD drives as well of 80,80,88,79, and 66 yards ... i mean what do you expect to do when you give the ball to the team in field goal range every time ... they did wear down a little at the end but other than that I don't think they played THAT bad. the turnovers are what reall killed us and the game shouldnt have even been close.

Atlanta Dan
10-27-2006, 01:11 PM
i mean what do you expect to do when you give the ball to the team in field goal range every time ... .

Umm ... maybe hold the other team to a field goal every once in awhile?

Btrice
10-27-2006, 01:13 PM

Quoted for truthery.

stlrtruck
10-27-2006, 02:08 PM
That and let's hold on to the football!

MACH1
10-27-2006, 02:16 PM
At least should have held them to one feildgoal in the redzone.

Atlanta Dan
10-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Perfection is an unreasonable expectation and lest we forget the Pittsburgh defense is well above average in all aspects.

Not really - except for rushing defense it is mediocre this year

Current AFC team rankings (16 teams)

Scoring 10th
Yards per game 9th
Passing 12th
Rushing 5th

For good measure here are teh coverage rankings

Kickoffs 10th
Punts 12th

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/AFC/DEF-RETURNS/2006/regular

SteelersHoss
10-27-2006, 02:22 PM
I don;t think anyone has an issue with the run D, i think it is more of the Pass D. Has been very suspect this year.

wvsportsman
10-27-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't think steelers D played that bad either but the pass D is where the problems are especially when opposing teams receivers are much taller than our corners. the same thing happened with the charger receiver's!! Crumpler is a bull, taller and bigger. What did he end up with like 4 touchdown, Hard to stop when they start on the short side of the field..

Elvis
10-27-2006, 03:01 PM
:coffee: Turnovers... Turnovers...Turnovers...Turnovers... That is what killed us against Atlanta and every other game this season...:helmet:

polamalufan43
10-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Well, it's not that the defense is playing poorly, it's just that they are not playing 60 minutes. Altough the fact that the recievers are sometimes taller than the corners can be an issue, but that depends on their height in the vertical jump.
Good news is that we might have Joey Porter back soon. Which he's been pretty active on the sideline, but we need him back.
I think that the defense just needs to work on their problems more. If I might say so myself, they were having a small tackling problem in the last game, but that can be fixed.

Oh well, we'll see on Sunday. Anybody flying out to the game?

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

P.S. Paw-n-maul-u, I love it...

RoethlisBURGHer
10-27-2006, 03:33 PM
If we would have not turned the ball over,then it would have been a huge blowout.

But it would have been nice for the defense to hold them to field goals BEFORE overtime.

augustashark
10-27-2006, 03:44 PM
I just want to point out that ATL had five TD drives of 18, 25, 26, 51, and 75 yards ... steelers had 5 TD drives as well of 80,80,88,79, and 66 yards ... i mean what do you expect to do when you give the ball to the team in field goal range every time ... they did wear down a little at the end but other than that I don't think they played THAT bad. the turnovers are what reall killed us and the game shouldnt have even been close.

I see your point and I agree. You are not going to win many games when the other teams scoring drives don't even = 200 yrs and they had 5 of them.

I do however, think that the D should have came up with one stop to force a FG. That is not much to ask when they had 3 chances inside our 26. 3 and outs!

sumo
10-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Think back on all the 3rd and longs we have given up this year - if we can get consistent pressure and our corners can cover somebody...we will kick ass!

R2sojr
10-27-2006, 08:51 PM
i know in the last few games we put up alot of points but how many times have the steelers scored 21 or less and the defence held teams under that....the defence slips once in a while but there the reason the win most of our games...geez

Stlrs4Life
10-27-2006, 10:19 PM

Exactly, also, when you have a team 3rd and 9 deep in there own territory, you got to make the stop.

Preacher
10-28-2006, 03:44 AM
It is known throughout the NFL that our DB's are not that good. If we can stop the defensive rush.. we will get eaten up. Our Db's just can not shut down the pass game. Now.. over the last couple of years, we have gotten better. But we still need MUCH work.

I agree... turnovers in the redzone hurt us tremendously, but if we had a better set of DB's, we could have weathered it. The inverse is also true. If we didn't have so many turnovers, our defense would have weathered the game and we would have won. The fact is though... we should be able to depend on the D to stop the pass when necessary, and stop at least HALF the scoring drives... holding them to a field goal instead.

Atlanta Dan
10-28-2006, 08:02 AM
Good review in today's P-G of all that is going wrong with the D:

Five drives of 80 yards or longer against the defense, including 91 yards to the Chargers and 97 to the Cincinnati Bengals. Last year, the Steelers allowed only three drives of 80 yards or longer, and one of those was an 80-yard touchdown catch by Marvin Harrison on the first play of the game in Indianapolis.

Ten touchdown passes allowed, including a career-high four to Michael Vick, after allowing an AFC-low 15 in 2005.

Blown leads in three of the four losses, including 17-10 at the end of three quarters against the Bengals and a 13-7 halftime advantage in San Diego.

173 yards rushing to the Falcons, including 131 in the fourth quarter and overtime. That's the most an opponent has managed since the New York Jets had 175 yards rushing in December, 2003.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06301/733712-66.stm

polamalufan43
10-28-2006, 11:42 AM
It's not all of the DB's, it's mostly that Corners... of course Polamalu and Chris Hope were great together and probably would have made this season alot easier. But, I'm sticking to my post before, although it wouldn't hurt to get some new corners. I think we should keep them all, but definately Ike Taylor and McFadden.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Elvis
10-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Ike Taylor is the perfect example of a standard NFL DB... No Hands... he covers decently well... but if it doesnt get stuck in his face mask then he Cant Catch It..:jawdrop: :banana: :banana: :helmet: :thumbsup: :sofunny:

Preacher
10-29-2006, 01:02 AM
I think we have our future Free Safety standing on the sidelines right now. Him and Polamalu are not part of any post I make about DB's... Everyone else... well, we need to take a serious look at them.

Everytime the ball goes into the air.. I get REAL scared.

Hines0wnz
10-29-2006, 03:12 PM
I concur that the secondary definitely scares no good passing team in the NFL. However, the LBs and pass rush does but, like last week, when it is depleted then teams expose the DBs. The real reason, as we all know, that the D is not particularly good is the turnovers. That means they are playing extra plays they shouldnt be and last week was a shining example of a worn out D in the second half.

But......none of this is news. :yap:

polamalufan43
10-29-2006, 05:58 PM
I think we have our future Free Safety standing on the sidelines right now. Him and Polamalu are not part of any post I make about DB's... Everyone else... well, we need to take a serious look at them.

Everytime the ball goes into the air.. I get REAL scared.

So what you are saying is that Anthony Smith and Polamalu would make good safties?

~polamalufan43:tt02:

Atlanta Dan
10-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Polamalu is my hero - while everyone else has disappeared he continues to come up bigger than ever.

polamalufan43
10-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Polamalu is my hero - while everyone else has disappeared he continues to come up bigger than ever.

I agree, of course I think we should of kept him and Hope together, but in time I think that Anthony Smith will make a great free safety.

~polamalufan43:tt02: