PDA

View Full Version : The raider game shows cowher has quit.

Big D
10-29-2006, 05:52 PM
If the raider game isnt the proof you needed that cowher has quit on this team. Please tell me how he hasnt

polamalufan43
10-29-2006, 05:54 PM
I can't believe that you even dared to post that...

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Big D
10-29-2006, 05:59 PM
I can't believe that you even dared to post that...

and why is that.. Losing to the laughing stock of the nfl doesnt prove anything. Starting a guy that had a concussion 7 days ago doesnt prove anything either? or how about sticking with ben after he throws 3 ints only to watch him throw a 4th for it to get ran back 100 yards???

Stlrs4Life
10-29-2006, 06:02 PM
This team lacks alot, and agree, Cowher will retire after this season. If he didn't quit, this team will after today. I'm sure they realize that they lose today, they know they aren't going anywhere. It's just reality.

clarient
10-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Somebody posted something ealier this week about a victory lap.

If that doesn't describe Cowher's dedication right now, I don't know what does. In fact, it describes practically the whole TEAM.

jim brown
10-29-2006, 06:21 PM
hey ya'll 1st. no ol 2nd poor play calling 3rd no controll for players "30 yds. in penaltiesback to back no quickplays to the line only on the td drive and finaly you have to want to win were very sluggish and don't seem to care offense

Mean Machine
10-29-2006, 06:21 PM
I wouldn't say Cowher has quit as much as I would say the effort isn't there...AT least we can get a good draft pick...Now I sound like Clown fans!!! LMAO!!!

Justin Otstott
10-29-2006, 06:22 PM
and there goes alot of money i bet on...God damn....I did not see this coming!

Cape Cod Steel Head
10-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Where are is his emotions? Every time they show him he looks the same. If the coach isn't "there" the team isn't either!

Atlanta Dan
10-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Cowher has lost this team

The 1999 team quit on him and he almost lost his job - he will quit on the team this time at the end of the year which (I cannot belive I am saying this less than 9 months after XL) probably is a good thing. At this point my question is whether you promote from within

If the Pittsburgh media has a pair they will start asking Cowher whether he should have clarified his status going into the season.

Justin Otstott
10-29-2006, 06:27 PM
I just kept wondering why his face wasnt turning into the chin all game...I say he gave up...but still at 2-5 and pissed off I BELIVE!

Mean Machine
10-29-2006, 06:38 PM
I just kept wondering why his face wasnt turning into the chin all game

He was gettin use to soakin up that sun like he will be in his new house in North Carolina...LOL!!! This guy is something else!!!

WWIIOwheelz
10-29-2006, 06:38 PM
That was the worst-coached game I've ever seen of Cowher's, barring none, and I've watched a lot of years.

One point my wife brought up, and hers, as a physician, carries weight with me--- she faults the doctors first and foremost, giving Ben the clearance to play. Cowher said he listened to the doctors, and they gave the go-ahead.

I'm on record as saying Batch was the obvious choice, and I'd decided that before Ben ever got up last Sunday. The dazed look he had on the cart was on the front page of ESPN today before the game.

I still can't believe what I just saw. I hate motorcycles like never before.

polamalufan43
10-29-2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah... I still believe in Ben and Cowher though... If he has stuck around this long then that shows that he's believing in something...

scraw28
10-29-2006, 07:28 PM
well, maybe we had this coming, they are shitty years,but this season has ben off the charts, we have found magical ways to lose sunday after sunday. what is next? I don't know, us fans don't know and hell Cowher and the team dosen't even know either.

silver & black
10-29-2006, 07:33 PM
If the raider game isnt the proof you needed that cowher has quit on this team. Please tell me how he hasnt

Bullshit!

It seems like it's you, the fans that have quit on this team!

The Steelers are going through a tough time at the moment. Believe me, I understand about the Superbowl hangover, it's been 3 1/2 years for the Raiders, and we still aren't over it!... And we didn't even win it!

The Steelers ARE a very good team... they just need to remember that... and so do their fans.

PAMillerGrrl83
10-29-2006, 07:33 PM
I think if the fans just stop beliving in Ben he may just quit beliving in himself and thats exactly the reason why people cant give up on Ben. Hes having a rough time but seriousley look at what he's went through since June 12, most QBs wouldnt have come back but not Ben. Give the guy a chance. If anything blame the doctors that cleared him to play.

polamalufan43
10-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Right, we have to keep believing because that's how we got to the Superbowl... ON FAITH, TALENT, and DRIVE.

Ben needs to know that we haven't lost faith, heck, the whole team needs to know that,

~polamalufan43:tt02:

james203
10-29-2006, 09:05 PM
who do you think should start next sunday against 5-2 broncos ?

DoctorJanSteelerFan
10-29-2006, 09:21 PM
One point my wife brought up, and hers, as a physician, carries weight with me--- she faults the doctors first and foremost, giving Ben the clearance to play. Cowher said he listened to the doctors, and they gave the go-ahead..... Batch was the obvious choice, and I'd decided that before Ben ever got up last Sunday.....
:iagree: :iagree: Your wife is absolutely right. I've been yelling it all week long.
Should players with other injuries play? Wouldn't it be stupid to put them in? Yet a brain injury gets less time off than a hamstring. Only in the NFL. Neurologists outside the NFL think NFL doctors are idiots. And they are. However, Cowher should have used common sense and put in Batch. Sure, there were alot of mistakes on the O and D but nothing to lose the game. We needed a stable, healthy QB.

Wake up, Steeler Nation! Rise and stand up for the Steelers TEAM! I've been a Steeler fan since 1972 and will continue. One of the things we CANNOT do is put our headsin the sand and keep making the same mistakes over and over. Cowher has lost his ability to reason. Ben played great last year. That's great. But it was last year and today is the reality. We move other players in and out all the time when they falter OR are injured but we have relegated "Big Ben" to superhero status and it's just plain stupid. I posted all week why Ben should not play for both medical and psychological reasons because he WOULD have effects of his concussion. All of medicine outside NFL team doctors understands this. But I don't have Cowher's ear. However, I think the Steeler Nation does. Cowher is a great coach and as stubborn as the day is long. (Remember all those years - over and over the same mistakes?) Ben came back too early once for a 3-game loss. And he came back too early again for this loss. But we don't have to make the same mistakes!! If we are to have ANY chance this season, then Charlie Batch must take over. He is a leader off the field which means he will be a leader ON the field. The team needs motivation from a leader.

So, will our Steeler Nation finally rise and insist on Batch? My call last week was to SAVE BEN. START BATCH. I continue that call. And now I say

BATCH OR BUST.

BBC
10-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Bullshit!

The Steelers are going through a tough time at the moment. Believe me, I understand about the Superbowl hangover, it's been 3 1/2 years for the Raiders, and we still aren't over it!... And we didn't even win it!

The Steelers ARE a very good team... they just need to remember that... and so do their fans.

This really should have been a Steelers fan posting this, but I'm glad it was posted.

Good posting silver & black.

Big D
10-30-2006, 05:53 AM
Bullshit!

great teams dont have superbowl hangovers or great coaches. Did you see the cowboys in the 90's having superbowl hangovers. How about the patriots. And you can blame al davis for the raiders "superbowl hangover"

X-Terminator
10-30-2006, 06:09 AM
great teams dont have superbowl hangovers or great coaches. Did you see the cowboys in the 90's having superbowl hangovers. How about the patriots. And you can blame al davis for the raiders "superbowl hangover"

2002 Pats ring a bell?

Elvis
10-30-2006, 06:11 AM
:tt02: :helmet: :coffee:
Just to let ya know, my head is spinning so hard this a.m. because I really didnt see this kind of a season coming for us. My heart is broken, and I see our season slippin' away. Our season is pretty much over I think as far as our post season lives. But it gives the team time to get a good look at some of our other players that normally we wouldnt get to look at in real game action. Like Anthony Smith at FS, I would like to get a good look at him for our future at that position... Give the young guys a chance:cheer:

Big D
10-30-2006, 06:18 AM
:tt02: :helmet: :coffee:
Just to let ya know, my head is spinning so hard this a.m. because I really didnt see this kind of a season coming for us. My heart is broken, and I see our season slippin' away. Our season is pretty much over I think as far as our post season lives. But it gives the team time to get a good look at some of our other players that normally we wouldnt get to look at in real game action. Like Anthony Smith at FS, I would like to get a good look at him for our future at that position... Give the young guys a chance:cheer:

I feel the same. Except I have a real strong anger about all of this. I never thought I would see the day where not only the players would give up but bill cowher as well. It's a sad monday morning in the steeler nation

HometownGal
10-30-2006, 06:44 AM
Bullshit!

Hallelujah! :cheer: :thumbsup:

I'm not blind to the situation, but I'll be damned if I'm going to start pointing fingers as to who is to blame for the state of the season thus far. There is no "I" in team, whether that team is on top or near the bottom. You win as a team and you lose as a team and the team includes the coaching staff. For all of the great seasons Bill Cowher has coached, I'll be damned if I'm going to throw rotten tomatoes at him because things just aren't going our way thus far this season. This organization has, plain and simply - SPOILED US over the years. Time for us to stop expecting greatness every single season - first it's unrealistic and second - virtually impossible.

Ambridge
10-30-2006, 08:11 AM
Cowher has lost this team

If the Pittsburgh media has a pair they will start asking Cowher whether he should have clarified his status going into the season.

I don't know what's more amusing.
The amount of times the Pittsburgh media keeps denying whether Bill Cowher's future coaching status (and seeming lack of enthusiasm) is impacting the play of the team this season...........or the actual amount of times the actual question itself keeps being asked??

Bill Cowher for the most part has had a "Far-away" and "Disenchanted" look on his face for most of the season and he probably should have left while he was on top instead of sticking around leaving on a sour note to a sour season.

Atlanta Dan
10-30-2006, 08:51 AM
I don't know what's more amusing.
The amount of times the Pittsburgh media keeps denying whether Bill Cowher's future coaching status (and seeming lack of enthusiasm) is impacting the play of the team this season...........or the actual amount of times the actual question itself keeps being asked??

Bill Cowher for the most part has had a "Far-away" and "Disenchanted" look on his face for most of the season and he probably should have left while he was on top instead of sticking around leaving on a sour note to a sour season.

The question has been asked constantly among fans and discussed in the media, but as far as Cowher being asked my recollection is it has not been asked of him since he snapped at the media in pre-season that he was not going to discuss it. Hard to see how asking it now can be claimed to be a distraction since the season is toast.

Leaving aside Ben's ongoing problems, which have many potential causes, something has caused this team to constantly make mental mistakes (end zone celebrations, the back to back penalties on Foote and Porter to start the second half, motion penalties) that have not been apparent in previous years.

For all I know Cowher is acting differently because he crossed some emotional divide after winning the Super Bowl or his wife told him to quit acting gonzo on the sidelines, but this is a different team and a different coach. Given this virtually unprecedented collapse by a SB champion (Denver cratered in 1999 but in that case Elway had retired and Terrell Davis blew out his knee early in the year), it seems fair to ask Cowher what has gone wrong and, in terms of why, ask him if his purportedly uncertain status for next season is a factor.

Ambridge
10-30-2006, 09:12 AM
The question has been asked constantly among fans and discussed in the media, but as far as Cowher being asked my recollection is it has not been asked of him since he snapped at the media in pre-season that he was not going to discuss it. Hard to see how asking it now can be claimed to be a distraction since the season is toast.

Leaving aside Ben's ongoing problems, which have many potential causes, something has caused this team to constantly make mental mistakes (end zone celebrations, the back to back penalties on Foote and Porter to start the second half, motion penalties) that have not been apparent in previous years.

For all I know Cowher is acting differently because he crossed some emotional divide after winning the Super Bowl or his wife told him to quit acting gonzo on the sidelines, but this is a different team and a different coach. Given this virtually unprecedented collapse by a SB champion (Denver cratered in 1999 but in that case Elway had retired and Terrell Davis blew out his knee early in the year), it seems fair to ask Cowher what has gone wrong and, in terms of why, ask him if his purportedly uncertain status for next season is a factor.

I heard Paul Alexander say last night on FSN Pittsburgh that if the Steelers had not made it to and or won the Super Bowl that Bill Cowher had let it be known to a select few people that 05 was going to be his last season.

I hope Bill Cowher came back for more than just an obligatory season??

dsk1975
10-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Hallelujah! :cheer: :thumbsup:

I'm not blind to the situation, but I'll be damned if I'm going to start pointing fingers as to who is to blame for the state of the season thus far. There is no "I" in team, whether that team is on top or near the bottom. You win as a team and you lose as a team and the team includes the coaching staff. For all of the great seasons Bill Cowher has coached, I'll be damned if I'm going to throw rotten tomatoes at him because things just aren't going our way thus far this season. This organization has, plain and simply - SPOILED US over the years. Time for us to stop expecting greatness every single season - first it's unrealistic and second - virtually impossible.

But there is ME in team :flap: Just playing. You have to look at it like this though, everything stems from the HC. If Bill could care less, which it seems like, the rest of the team will play like they car less. He just doesn't seem like himself this season. Also I believe something is wrong with Ben. Physically and mentally. IMO he should be benched for the next 3-4 games. Not for bad play, but to get his head back in the game and get healthier. I still believe in the Steelers and believe they will turn it around, lets just hope it starts this week :hope:

Jacknut
10-30-2006, 09:36 AM

If that's the case, then I wish he had retired up on the podium with the Bus.

"Never be good where you have once been great" - Italo Bombloni, "The Secret of Santa Vittoria"

SoccerMikey04
10-30-2006, 09:47 AM
That was the worst-coached game I've ever seen of Cowher's, barring none, and I've watched a lot of years.

One point my wife brought up, and hers, as a physician, carries weight with me--- she faults the doctors first and foremost, giving Ben the clearance to play. Cowher said he listened to the doctors, and they gave the go-ahead.

I'm on record as saying Batch was the obvious choice, and I'd decided that before Ben ever got up last Sunday. The dazed look he had on the cart was on the front page of ESPN today before the game.

I still can't believe what I just saw. I hate motorcycles like never before.

Post of the day.

(By the way, I'm also on the record cussing up and down at Cowher for starting Ben before the game... although not on these boards ;)

SoccerMikey04
10-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Also I believe something is wrong with Ben. Physically and mentally. IMO he should be benched for the next 3-4 games.

The time to bench Ben was yesterday; I don't think you can bench him at this point, the time to do that without crushing Ben's psyche has passed.

Atlanta Dan
10-30-2006, 09:58 AM
I heard Paul Alexander say last night on FSN Pittsburgh that if the Steelers had not made it to and or won the Super Bowl that Bill Cowher had let it be known to a select few people that 05 was going to be his last season.

Maybe Cowher assumed in 2005 that the team would exit the playoffs early enough to give the Rooneys a chance to conduct a HC search that considered almost all likely candidates and the Rooneys and Cowher agreed sometime earlier this year as they went deep into the playoffs that he should come back for 2006 in order that the Steelers could prepare for an orderly change.

If so, that makes me wonder if the Rooneys really are sold on Whiz as the successor. After this season the concept of a fresh start by going outside the organization to hire will be a lot more defensible absent a drastic pickup in performance the last 2 months of the season. As I said in another post, hurting Ben's feeelings is not as pressing a concern as it was earlier this year and he may need a fresh set of eyes to help straighten out whatever ails him.

Ambridge
10-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Maybe Cowher assumed in 2005 that the team would exit the playoffs early enough to give the Rooneys a chance to conduct a HC search that considered almost all likely candidates and the Rooneys and Cowher agreed sometime earlier this year as they went deep into the playoffs that he should come back for 2006 in order that the Steelers could prepare for an orderly change.

If so, that makes me wonder if the Rooneys really are sold on Whiz as the successor. After this season the concept of a fresh start by going outside the organization to hire will be a lot more defensible absent a drastic pickup in performance the last 2 months of the season. As I said in another post, hurting Ben's feeelings is not as pressing a concern as it was earlier this year and he may need a fresh set of eyes to help straighten out whatever ails him.

I totally agree!!

A calculated look outside the organization for the next HC has to be seriously thought about by the Rooney's and the FO.

klick81
10-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Bullshit!

Can't believe we need a fruckin pep talk from a Raider fan. I mean...i guess we've been spoiled the past couple years. Thanks though...your positivity isn't expected, but very welcomed.

blitzburgh5
10-30-2006, 11:29 AM
For those who paid attention during the preseason, this one wasn't too hard to see coming. These guys sleep walked through training camp and the exhibition season. I never remember seeing such little playing time for the starters during an exhibition season in my 25 years of being a Steelers fan. Cowher was already setting the table for a lack of mental toughness that would ultimately become the demise of this season. He has no intensity on the sidelines and it has clearly spilled over onto the players. Cowher should retire today for the betterment of the team. Let the Whiz take over on an interim basis and see if the shakeup works. I highly doubt anything else would work at this point.

Atlanta Dan
10-30-2006, 11:37 AM
For those who paid attention during the preseason, this one wasn't too hard to see coming. These guys sleep walked through training camp and the exhibition season. I never remember seeing such little playing time for the starters during an exhibition season in my 25 years of being a Steelers fan. Cowher was already setting the table for a lack of mental toughness that would ultimately become the demise of this season. He has no intensity on the sidelines and it has clearly spilled over onto the players. Cowher should retire today for the betterment of the team. Let the Whiz take over on an interim basis and see if the shakeup works. I highly doubt anything else would work at this point.

We will never know how ready Ben was for game conditions in August and whether his September problems were due more to the accident or the appendectomy. Cowher would have been crucified if Ben would have been injured playing through the 3rd Q of an exhibition game, so he gambled by giving Ben minimal game reps and apparently lost.

The whole NFL preseason is a crap shoot to avoid getting your starters injured while getting some sharpness for when the real games start. I believe the D had more problems with Troy getting hurt in the opener than by not getting preseason game time.

As for the offense, Hines missing training camp threw off the pasing game. As for the running game, they screwed up getting someone to replace Bettis by assuming Staley would step in and may have fallen into the 2003 trap by figuring they could repeat the pass first playoff strategy with a QB who was nowhere near his January 2006 form to start the season.

steel58
10-30-2006, 11:39 AM
This isn't about mental toughness. It is about executing. Mainly, Ben is not executing. Whether it is for medical reasons or not, he simply is not. Everytime for the 5 games they lost, he has had opportunities to simply roll outr and score, yet he keeps throwing picks. He is right, he needs to fix whatever is making him play bad. They need to keep in there. The only consolation is a possible top 5 pick to get soem new blood to help for next year.

blitzburgh5
10-30-2006, 11:46 AM
It takes mental toughness to be able to execute. If your heads are not in the game, mentally, you will not properly execute. The O-line is mentally weaker this year than in the past, as we saw again yesterday. This season is not all Ben's fault, yes he's had his problems, but the line has been sickening and the defense has struggled to get off the field on 3rd down most of the season. Last week we made Vick look like Joe Montana. Their heads and their intensity level just isn't there.

HometownGal
10-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Can't believe we need a fruckin pep talk from a Raider fan. I mean...i guess we've been spoiled the past couple years. Thanks though...your positivity isn't expected, but very welcomed.

And that, my fellow Steelers lovers, is the understatement of the year.

We as fans have been indeed been spoiled by the successes the Steelers have had for the most part - over a 3 decade span. Since the Cowher era began, the spoiling has pretty much been on the increase, and I think a lot of fans tend to expect greatness from the Steelers year after year which is unrealistic. All teams - even Super Bowl Champs - have highs and lows - reality bites. We're in a low right now and we have to accept the reality that this team may not make the playoffs this season for a variety of reasons. That being said, there is no reason to stop believing in them and standing behind them as we've always done. Not making the playoffs this season really won't be the end of the world, nor will it be the end of our quest for and acquisition of Lombardi #6 at some point in the very near future. Take that to the bank. :tt02: