Without a decent running game, we lose!:banging:

polamalufan43
10-29-2006, 07:51 PM
WE can still throw, don't you know?

~polamalufan43:tt02:

BBC
10-29-2006, 07:53 PM

The only thing I see that is being proven here is that you are an idiot.

Watch a couple Steelers games before you want to claim that.

paw-n-maul-u
10-29-2006, 08:17 PM

what makes him an idiot? ... not to toot my own horn or anything but I made a prediction at the beginning of the year that our running game will struggle, and struggle bad. PARKER IS NOT THE ANSWER. however, i feel that he brings some excelent talent to our backfield, just not the kind that can wear a team down. Bring on michael bush man

meelanova
10-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Right. Maybe we should get another aging 260 lb. running back, from Detroit, that will play for less than $1.5 million a year and hope he provides us some inspiration?

BBC
10-29-2006, 08:55 PM
what makes him an idiot? ... not to toot my own horn or anything but I made a prediction at the beginning of the year that our running game will struggle, and struggle bad. PARKER IS NOT THE ANSWER. however, i feel that he brings some excelent talent to our backfield, just not the kind that can wear a team down. Bring on michael bush man

This has nothing to do with how well our running backs have performed. Anyone that believes that Ben can't win without a strong rushing attack should really look at how Ben has performed when Willie rushed for 2 or less yards per carry last season.

Indy_Steelers
10-29-2006, 09:32 PM

I do not think it is the running game we should worry about.
If Ben would quit throwing INTs we would not be in the position.
When we cannot pass well it makes us one-dimensional and they key on the run because team feel that we ca not beat them passing.
When he throws INTs we get behind and cannot run as we should.

Parker had 111 yards of total offense and 1 TD today. He was the bright spot on offense.

He has more TDs this year rushing than last year already.
His average yards per game are what they were last year.
As a team we are averaging 114 yards rushing a game and Willie has 80 yards a game.
That is 70% of our running game.

Texasfan
10-30-2006, 07:24 AM

No need to call me an idiot. I've watched all of the games this season. Just because you're pissed about the loss doesn't mean you have to take it out on me. Ben shouldn't have started and our running game is not working. If we had the running game we wouldn't have to rely on Ben as much.

Ambridge
10-30-2006, 08:33 AM
The Steelers made a mistake by not addressing and finding a SOLID complimentary back for Willie Parker.
Thinking Verron Haynes and or "Street Clothes" Staley were the answers was a huge blunder and bringing in Najeh Davenport was just a "finger in the dike" solution to the problem.
I honestly believe the Steelers thought they could compensate for a questionable power back by putting more on Ben's plate and having him pick up the slack with larger passing attack.

This season has some eerie similarities to the 2003 team with the expanded passing efforts with a shakey Tommy Maddox at QB and an equally dismal quality of play.

Livinginthe past
10-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Its very possible that Ben would have been able to carry the extra load this year, if he hadn't had such a terrible time with injuries.

Of course he has played awful for the most part, that can't be denied, but im sure that a QB's decision making is directly linked to his mental/physical fitness.

As far as the running game goes, it hasnt actually been too bad.

It got totally shut down against Jekyll'n'Hyde Jacksonville (anyone see what they did to the Eagles yesterday?) but they are still a mid ranked running team.

Some Steeler fans seem to think that they are owed a dominant running game *Newsflash* every team wants one of those, most teams dont get them.

I still believe that Cowher has allowed a keen, yet naive QB to influence his decison to play him when he clearly isn't ready.

NM

BBC
10-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Its very possible that Ben would have been able to carry the extra load this year, if he hadn't had such a terrible time with injuries.

Of course he has played awful for the most part, that can't be denied, but im sure that a QB's decision making is directly linked to his mental/physical fitness.

Yep. I'm sure a healthy Ben could have done everything the Steelers asked and more. Unfortunately, he was thrown a couple of curve balls throughout the season.

Had Tommy Maddox had two semi-serious injuries to go with one very serious one, I probably would have agreed with you on the comparison to the 2003 Steelers (or had he actually won a ring for the Steelers before).

Black@Gold Forever32
10-30-2006, 03:49 PM
I agree with BBC and LITP. Both made good solid points and posts. Pre-accident Ben would have been able to carry the a bigger load. In training camp Ben did take all the snaps. Then in pre-season games Ben didn't get much action. Which is understandable since he did have all those facial injuries in the accident. So Ben and the WR's didn't get the chance to get in rythem for the season. Then his appendix. Its like the football Gods have tried to knock Ben for having so much success so soon. Plus you could tell Ben did take it all for granted.

Then when Ben did come back strong against the Chiefs and a half vs the Falcons. He gets knocked out of the game with a concussion. This much is clear its just not going to be Ben's year in 2006. I bet Ben can't wait for 2007. If Ben can stay healthy next year. Then we will see the true player that Big Ben really is.

Ambridge
10-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Had Tommy Maddox had two semi-serious injuries to go with one very serious one, I probably would have agreed with you on the comparison to the 2003 Steelers (or had he actually won a ring for the Steelers before).

Ben was a big contributor last year but he was still only part of the puzzle.
If the Steelers have the Power Back similar to Jerome Bettis to go along with Willie this season their record is totally different.

Regardless of the number and severity of the injuries it's the "Deer in the Headlights" look and the poor decision making that Ben is having now and Tommy Maddox was having then that they are having in common.

Hines0wnz
10-30-2006, 06:31 PM
I have stated it before that we, as fans, need to step away from the "big back" love we enjoyed with Jerome Bettis. Let's face it, he was a one a kind smash-you-in-the-mouth/dainty RB that doesnt come along very often. Willie is a speed back and there is nothing wrong with him, in my opinion. The kid had few carries at UNC and went undrafted to the Steelers. His best learning came during his first two years with Jerome and I have seen the improvement with every game. No, he isnt the next LJ or LT but he is a very good back that I think fits well with the Steelers running game. Once the O-line gets things shored up, he will be a weapon that gets yards to set up play/action for the passing game.

Also, he wants the ball and he wants to win. Remember the flare pass in the 4th quarter yesterday? He could have just stepped out bounds and made ready for another play...no, he stayed in and got the last 10+ yards and the TD. Plays like that lets me know what kind of player he is for this team. His teammate Duce could learn a thing or two from Willie. :jammin:

Hines0wnz
10-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Ben was a big contributor last year but he was still only part of the puzzle.
If the Steelers have the Power Back similar to Jerome Bettis to go along with Willie this season their record is totally different.

Maybe 3-4 or 4-3? I dont care if they are averaging 200+ rushing yds/game.....turnovers kill you, period. Ben hasnt been right, etc. but turnovers are the big issue with the team.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Very good post HinesOwnz. Yes Willie Parker is fine as the starting RB. The kid has played very well this year. But in Pittsburgh the Big Back has been the trademark for so long. You had John Henry Johnson in the 1960's. The the 70's with Franco Harris. Then in the Bill Cowher era there was Barry Foster, Bam Morris and of course Jerome Bettis. So change takes time for some people.

Ambridge
10-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Maybe 3-4 or 4-3? I dont care if they are averaging 200+ rushing yds/game.....turnovers kill you, period. Ben hasnt been right, etc. but turnovers are the big issue with the team.

That's my point.
If the Steelers had a balanced running attack more than likely Ben isn't put in the position to throw 11 Interceptions so far in the season and IMO this wasn't the season to experiment with giving Ben a more open playbook.

Steelersfan4life0655
10-30-2006, 06:58 PM
we have a decent running game, just wanna know why pittsburgh gets away from it in the second half. parker is doing pretty good this year. he proven that he is capable of the workload, but we always seem to abandon the run. It's not like we are down 2 to 3 touchdowns that we have to in a passing mode. It just dont really make any sense.

Infamix
10-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Turnovers.

Ambridge
10-30-2006, 07:23 PM
we have a decent running game, just wanna know why pittsburgh gets away from it in the second half. parker is doing pretty good this year. he proven that he is capable of the workload, but we always seem to abandon the run. It's not like we are down 2 to 3 touchdowns that we have to in a passing mode. It just dont really make any sense.

Willie pretty much got stuffed against the better defenses Jacksonville and San Diego. Oakland kept him in check for 83 yds and the Steelers never really tried to establish a running attack enough against the Falcons who kept him below 50yds rushing.

Willie's big games have been against the Dolphins, the Chiefs(who the Steelers caught at the right time) and the Bengals who have a horrible run defense.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Willie pretty much got stuffed against the better defenses Jacksonville and San Diego. Oakland kept him in check for 83 yds and the Steelers never really tried to establish a running attack enough against the Falcons who kept him below 50yds rushing.

Willie's big games have been against the Dolphins, the Chiefs(who the Steelers caught at the right time) and the Bengals who have a horrible run defense.

Ambridge. Willie had 14 carries for 57 yards a TD against the Chargers. If Willie gets 20-25 carries that game. Then he gets over a 100 yards. Not to bad if you ask me against the Chargers defense. Can you honestly say the offensive line has played well and consistent this year. The Oline got man handled against the Jags Dlineman. Jerome Bettis in his prime would have had a hard time gaining yards against the Jags defense that night.

Infamix
10-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Ambridge. Willie had 14 carries for 57 yards a TD against the Chargers. If Willie gets 20-25 carries that game. Then he gets over a 100 yards. Not to bad if you ask me against the Chargers defense. Can you honestly say the offensive line has played well and consistent this year. The Oline got man handled against the Jags Dlineman. Jerome Bettis in his prime would have had a hard time gaining yards against the Jags defense that night.

Scratch Jerome. I don't think Sanders could have run behind that line. I think the solution is, pass to open up the run, but don't pass until Ben's arm falls off.

Ambridge
10-30-2006, 09:46 PM

Don't get me wrong I think Willie has done a fine job this season but I think he would be more effective with a Bettis type pounder to spell him.
Rushing for a 100yds is fine but it doesn't do any good if the bulk of the yardage is gained in drives that don't lead to points.
I remember hearing it plenty of times that the Steelers O-line played at a different level when Jerome was in the game not only from his physical presence that he could over come a missed block/assignment but also from the mental toughness he brought as well.

I agree that the Steelers O-line has been horrid this season and hasn't helped the situation but then again the bad play has come against the tough defenses.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-31-2006, 03:44 PM
Don't get me wrong I think Willie has done a fine job this season but I think he would be more effective with a Bettis type pounder to spell him.
Rushing for a 100yds is fine but it doesn't do any good if the bulk of the yardage is gained in drives that don't lead to points.
I remember hearing it plenty of times that the Steelers O-line played at a different level when Jerome was in the game not only from his physical presence that he could over come a missed block/assignment but also from the mental toughness he brought as well.

I agree that the Steelers O-line has been horrid this season and hasn't helped the situation but then again the bad play has come against the tough defenses.

Nice post and I agree with alot you said in this post. Very true the Steelers need that Bettis type pounder. But its hard to find them. There wasn't alot of those types in this past draft. Now Michael Bush from Louisville would be a great fit.

I think the Steelers miss Jerome's leadership and that mental toughness that you mentioned.

CrimsonSteeler3443
10-31-2006, 03:53 PM
Good running starts with good O-line.

kyflash15
10-31-2006, 08:34 PM
We need Michael Bush... him and willie in the backfield would be great! Just saying parker and bush gets me excited. He is 6'3 250, and runs a 4.5/6, there is no way we can pass him up... someone like this doesnt come along every year!

Tankus_Maximus
10-31-2006, 09:41 PM
I agree with just about everyone here on this topic. I think the running game will open up when we stop running on EVERY 1st down..it's downright predictable. We get 2-3 yards on the first two downs, by now it's 3rd & a handful..and Ben's in shotgun. The playcalling needs to be mixed up here & there.

That, and get Willie 25-30 touches could open things up.