PDA

View Full Version : Steelers, Miller's agent meet

Prosdo
07-20-2005, 01:43 PM
NFL Notebook: Steelers, Miller's agent meet

Wednesday, July 20, 2005
From staff and wire dispatches

Eleven days before their players must report to training camp in Latrobe, the Steelers and the agents for first-round draft choice Heath Miller held a six-hour negotiating session yesterday at the team's headquarters on the South Side.

Tom Condon and his assistant Fuzzy Kremer of International Management Group left town last evening after their discussion with Omar Khan, the Steelers' chief negotiator. It's their first such meeting since the Steelers drafted Miller, a tight end from the University of Virginia, three months ago.

The Steelers did make enough progress with seventh-round draft pick Shaun Nua that a source close to the rookie said he expects to come to terms this week. Nua is a defensive end from BYU.

Steelers players under contract must report to St. Vincent College by 6 p.m. July 31. Three of the team's eight draft choices came to contract agreements last month -- receiver Fred Gibson (fourth round), linebacker Rian Wallace (fifth) and guard Chris Kemoeatu (sixth).

Miller's agents could not be reached for comment about the talks or what progress was made. The Steelers routinely decline to talk about ongoing contract negotiations.

Usually, first-round draft choices receive contracts of five or six years in length. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, the ninth choice in the 2004 draft, signed a six-year, $14.26 million contract that included a $9 million signing bonus, part of it deferred.

Miller, who is 6 feet 5 and 256 pounds, was the 30th player drafted. None of the 32 NFL first-round draft choices have signed yet.

Link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05201/540605.stm

BB2W
07-20-2005, 02:07 PM
This is good news......I hope they sign him before camp. I am gonna be at Latrobe on the 5th and 6th, and he is one of the players I look forward to seeing in action.

Prosdo
07-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Same here BB2W. The clips I have seen of him look awesome and I have heard a lot of promising stuff about him.

bigbensgirl7
07-20-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm glad to hear they are getting things rolloing with him...I hope they reach an agreement soon!

BlitzburghRockCity
07-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Lets get these boys under contract !!!! Seems we waited an awful long time this year to start negotiations w/ the draft picks. I know we wait till closer to camp usually, but still, its been quite awhile!

BB2W
07-20-2005, 10:42 PM
They said today on NFL Live that this is the longest it has ever taken to start signing the players selected on the first day of the draft. (first three rounds)