PDA

View Full Version : O-Line is Changing

Grey
10-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Didn't see any mention of this yesterday --- the face of our O-line is changing. I noticed Okobi in there yesterday although the commentators never mentioned it, nor did they ever mention an injury to Hartings.

Post Gazette says today: "Hartings had a first-half knee injury that Cowher said could keep him out for an extended period of time." I also noticed we tried running to the right more yesterday than we usually do.

With Kemoeatu playing yesterday instead of Simmons, and now Okobi in for Hartings indefinately, I believe we now have our new O-line. I think Cowher was waiting for a chance to replace Hartings, and will take this situation to see if Okobi really can be the next Steelers center.

I love Hartings, but I think his time is up. He has been mandhandled for most of the season. With Jamal Williams destroying him (and often Faneca as well) at San Diego, I think it was only a matter of time. Now these guys need to learn to work together, and start pushing somebody off the ball, and maybe we can get the running game back again.

Here we go.
Grey

BigDuke6
10-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Faneca did not have as stellar a game as usual, thats for sure. I noticed the Okobi thing right away and you're right, Gannon and that other dick-head made no mention of Hartings being out. Kemo is a big physical OG. I love him. He brings a mean streak to the huddle with him. I guess this is the way its going to be now.
God bless Jeff Hartings. He came from Detroit as an OG and Grimm turned him into a C and he played himself all the way to Hawaii and an SB ring. If its true he's done then he certainly lived up to the reps of great Steeler centers built by Webster and Dawson.

OneForTheToe
10-30-2006, 11:21 AM
I agree with what's been said above. While I worry a bit about missing Jeff's ability to call out blocking assignments, the situation is what it is. Jeff has been a great player, and may yet return to the starting role. However, Chris and Chucki are a bit bigger and stronger than the starters they have replaced. I think it is time to see if they can add some more power to the O line. It would also be nice if Max would stop getting his massive, almost 350 pound self, bull rushed. :dang:

Haiku_Dirtt
10-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Did I happen to mention that Max Starks was a disaster?

Haiku_Dirtt
10-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Did I happen to mention that Max Starks was a disaster?

:idea: Maybe play until the whistle blows. UH!!! MAX? The play doesn't end after YOU make the first contact.

:mg: Wow Max! You are that big. SO start f...BLEEP...ing playing like it or get off the damn field.

:coffee:

Atlanta Dan
10-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Looking on the sometimes elusive bright side, I agree that with the season in the dumpster the Steelers can look at Okobi at center, Kemo at guard and (if Okobi cannot cut it) give Simmons a last shot to hang on by seeing if he can play center (as was the back-up plan when Okobi had the scary pre-season injury).

Hartings was a great FA pick-up but he has been playing on borrowed time and bad knees for several years now.

I do not think Faneca is suddenly washed up and Smith is a solid left tackle. Starks is another issue.

The only problem is that working in a new OL while your QB is a wreck presents a certain danger.

Buzz05
10-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Ok Ben aside...would you contribute the offensive line as a major part of our problems...everyone seems to be jumping on the Ben bandwagon but I think the O-line not giving any time and not developing any wholes is a major issue.

Hines0wnz
10-30-2006, 12:34 PM
I only had 2 beers during the game (too much disbelief to drink) so I do remember the CBS duo mentioning Hartings being out. :wink02:

Just FYI.