PDA

View Full Version : A lesson in humility...by the Almighty

stlrtruck
10-30-2006, 10:58 AM
You know last year I was blessed, bountifully. My daughter was born in June 2005 and that following football season my beloved Steelers won the Super Bowl!! I was in heaven...or was I?
The other day at a men's bible study group I was asked if I've placed the Steelers on a pedistal and made them an idol before God.
That hit me, hit me hard.
Last year after the Super Bowl and about a half hour of celebrating with friends in the fan club, I headed home to get my wife and daughter. I got to where they were at and my wife, being tired and ready for bed mumbled, "Your daughter is on the floor, get her and let's go...I'm tired!" To me I didn't care how she was, my team just won the Super Bowl. But it wasn't until these recent events at the men's group that I've realized that I put the Steelers before my family as well.
So this year, I told my wife that I would go to the bar once a month to watch the games and other than that, I'll be home to help out with whatever.
BUT, I was still putting the Steelers before God.
So now here we are 8 weeks into the NFL season and at times I have worshipped an organization and players before the Almighty God.
Don't get me wrong, I'll always be a Steelers Fan and my daughter will also be raised the same. However, I can not be a Fan that puts anything of this earth before the Lord and I will not allow my daughter to walk that path.
The Lord was with me last year when all the good things happened with the Steelers and he's with me now and I'm learning that as much as I love football, the final outcome of the season (winning or losing) isn't as important as I have made it to be!
For as much as I bleed black and gold, as much as I dislike trolls that have no or little football knowledge, and as much as I love the Steelers.....I LOVE JESUS MORE!!!!
This year, so far, has been a lesson in humility. A lesson in learning that there is more to my life on God's green earth than the Steelers and/or football in general. It's about being a great, loving husband and father! It's about teaching my family about Christ and how we should ALWAYS focus our eyes on HIM!
To all my friends in Steelers Nation - we are the best fans in the world! I pray God's blessings on all of you. To all of the trolls, I pray God's blessings on you too!

Livinginthe past
10-30-2006, 11:06 AM
So God is punishing you for watching too much football by making the Steelers lose?

NM

stlrtruck
10-30-2006, 11:10 AM
I didn't say that.
I'm just opening up to the fact that I have placed this team before God.
I honestly believe that God doesn't care who wins. He wants to know what we've done to further His kingdom on Earth.
It's hard to further His kindgom when I'm placing Idols in front of Him.

floodcitygirl
10-30-2006, 11:13 AM
If THAT is the jist that you got from his heartfelt post, then I really do feel sorry for you, LITP. (And yes, I know you were asking a question.)

floodcitygirl
10-30-2006, 11:18 AM
You know last year I was blessed, bountifully. My daughter was born in June 2005 and that following football season my beloved Steelers won the Super Bowl!! I was in heaven...or was I?
The other day at a men's bible study group I was asked if I've placed the Steelers on a pedistal and made them an idol before God.
Last year after the Super Bowl and about a half hour of celebrating with friends in the fan club, I headed home to get my wife and daughter. I got to where they were at and my wife, being tired and ready for bed mumbled, "Your daughter is on the floor, get her and let's go...I'm tired!" To me I didn't care how she was, my team just won the Super Bowl. But it wasn't until these recent events at the men's group that I've realized that I put the Steelers before my family as well.
So this year, I told my wife that I would go to the bar once a month to watch the games and other than that, I'll be home to help out with whatever.
So now here we are 8 weeks into the NFL season and at times I have worshipped an organization and players before the Almighty God.
Don't get me wrong, I'll always be a Steelers Fan and my daughter will also be raised the same. However, I can not be a Fan that puts anything of this earth before the Lord and I will not allow my daughter to walk that path.
The Lord was with me last year when all the good things happened with the Steelers and he's with me now and I'm learning that as much as I love football, the final outcome of the season (winning or losing) isn't as important as I have made it to be!
For as much as I bleed black and gold, as much as I dislike trolls that have no or little football knowledge, and as much as I love the Steelers.....I LOVE JESUS MORE!!!!
This year, so far, has been a lesson in humility. A lesson in learning that there is more to my life on God's green earth than the Steelers and/or football in general. It's about being a great, loving husband and father! It's about teaching my family about Christ and how we should ALWAYS focus our eyes on HIM!
To all my friends in Steelers Nation - we are the best fans in the world! I pray God's blessings on all of you. To all of the trolls, I pray God's blessings on you too!Thanks for such a heartfelt post. There aren't many people that would look at themselves that deeply or openly admit those things. I really commend you for doing that hard thing and looking at your priorities in life. It will serve you and your family very well. God's blessings right back at ya!

stlrtruck
10-30-2006, 11:30 AM
So God is punishing you for watching too much football by making the Steelers lose?

NM

Let me give you an example of what I mean. Yesterday I was at the bar watching the game. Yelling, screaming, cheering....outraged at the lost. It hurt to watch my team give away a game they should have won.
As I got home, I get to the door and I could hear my little girl yelling, "Dad-de, dad-de". As I walked in the door, I put my things down and received a hug and kiss and gleaming smile!

Now you tell me how any man could put the Steelers or football in general before that?

That was my little girl, a blessing from the heavens above! And how was I honoring the Lord for my precious gift...I put the Steelers in front of Him!

klick81
10-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Nice post. I do have a question...and it's just a question: Why does it take a losing season for you to come to these conclusions?

stlrtruck
10-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Nice post. I do have a question...and it's just a question: Why does it take a losing season for you to come to these conclusions?

It has nothing to do with the losing season, but it is because it wasn't until the last few weeks that I have been questioned at the men's bible study. It was only after the last few meetings that I have had to reflect back on my actions and admit where I was with the Steelers and their impact on my relationship with Christ.

I can only summize that because I was so close to the situation that I didn't see it for what it was but thanks to my friends they weren't afraid to bring it to my attention and hold me accountable for my actions.

Mosca
10-30-2006, 11:53 AM
OK, I have a question. Why were you at a bar watching the game, instead of at home with your family and your little girl? I'm not religious at all, and I have that one figured out.

Tom

klick81
10-30-2006, 11:57 AM
OK, I have a question. Why were you at a bar watching the game, instead of at home with your family and your little girl? I'm not religious at all, and I have that one figured out.

Tom

Well, i don't think that's that bad at all. I think every person is entitled to their "own" time. If he's doing it EVERY day, then that's another thing. The fact that he's worrying about this now shows that he's a caring husband/father, trying to fix something that he may in his mind, be doing wrong. And no...i'm not religious either.

klick81
10-30-2006, 11:59 AM
It has nothing to do with the losing season, but it is because it wasn't until the last few weeks that I have been questioned at the men's bible study.

Makes sense.

stlrtruck
10-30-2006, 12:01 PM

Tom

I'm at the bar because that's the only place in the area in which I live that I can watch Steelers games. If I could afford the NFL Sunday Ticket then I would be home. But as with any fan, I still like to watch the games and it's not possible here unless it's prime time. When it is prime time, I watch at home...but thanks for asking!

So what have you figured out?

Atlanta Dan
10-30-2006, 12:11 PM
The Sunday Ticket is around $200 a year.

Having done the sports bar scene from the late 1980s with the Steelers until I received a dish as a Christmas gift in 1996, I would respectfully submit that when you factor in the cost of patronizing the sports bar in terms of food & drink + the advantage of watching the games in the comfort of your own home that DirecTV is worth the $$.

MACH1
10-30-2006, 12:19 PM

Having done the sports bar scene from the late 1980s with the Steelers until I received a dish as a Christmas gift in 1996, I would respectfully submit that when you factor in the cost of patronizing the sports bar in terms of food & drink + the advantage of watching the games in the comfort of your own home that DirecTV is worth the $$.

I agree, Take the money you would spend at the bar and get NFL tik. I did about 8 years ago and its worth every penny. I know directv has special offers for new customers and you could probly get your first year with some sort of deal, like half price or something like that.

floodcitygirl
10-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Well, i don't think that's that bad at all. I think every person is entitled to their "own" time. If he's doing it EVERY day, then that's another thing. The fact that he's worrying about this now shows that he's a caring husband/father, trying to fix something that he may in his mind, be doing wrong. And no...i'm not religious either.
.[/QUOTE]I agree with you. In my experience balance is the key to everything.

Last evening, after the game, I went to our Children's Hospital to visit some dear friends who had twins 6 weeks ago at 2 1/2 lbs each. One is in a neonatal intensive care in the hospital where they were born. The other had to be taken to Children's for belly surgery a few weeks ago. Obviously being in that type of a crisis atmosphere, it brings to full realization what is truly important.

Life would be pretty dull and monotonous as well as stressful without entertainment and the diversion that it brings. Keeping it in perspective is the balancing act.

Mosca
10-30-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm at the bar because that's the only place in the area in which I live that I can watch Steelers games. If I could afford the NFL Sunday Ticket then I would be home. But as with any fan, I still like to watch the games and it's not possible here unless it's prime time. When it is prime time, I watch at home...but thanks for asking!

So what have you figured out?

Fair enough.

What works for me is that family is what I'm here for. But I recognize that everyone's different. I was just giving you a little tweak, I didn't mean anything by it; I should have stuck a smiley at the end.

I understand what you mean when you say you were putting the Steelers before God. It's like what I've put here a couple times, and some people don't understand. Win or lose, it's a beautiful day. Tomorrow will be beautiful, too. Yesterday, after the game, I went down to the garage and worked on the car some, came back in and watched a little TV with my wife while my daughter did her homework, wrote a little bit here, talked on the phone with my sister, and went to bed. It was a beautiful morning this morning.

It's easier to deal with taunters with this attitude; they're trying to get to the people who take all this stuff too seriously. I've noticed that when I respond seriously to them, I get ignored. they'd rather get the goat of the rabid bleeders. Fine with me, it's all good.

Perspective, perspective. Don't define yourself by your team affililation, define yourself by how well you've lived your life and by how well you are loved by others (paraphrased from the Wizard of Oz).

Tom

Btrice
10-30-2006, 12:32 PM
I agree, Take the money you would spend at the bar and get NFL tik. I did about 8 years ago and its worth every penny. I know directv has special offers for new customers and you could probly get your first year with some sort of deal, like half price or something like that.

Another option would be to find a friend who is a fan of the Steelers or even another team (not the local teams obviously). Split the cost and have them over for the game and/or their game. I'm sure your wife would not want a bunch of screaming men around the house when you have a little kid but maybe 1-2 people would work.

stlrtruck
10-30-2006, 01:11 PM

First, I don't drink alcoholic beverages when I go to the bar. I drink either water or coke. Second, my food is either paid for or I eat before I go (because my wife is a fabulous cook!)!

So my average tab is less than $5. Trust me, I wish I could get the Sunday Ticket. It would make it easier to teach my daughter about Steelers football. But considering I only go to the bar about 4-5 times year (not including playoffs), that's not enough savings to even attempt to convince my wife that we need satellite and the Sunday Ticket.

stlrtruck
10-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Let me clear some air here. It's not about being religious, it's about having a relationship with Christ. Christ walked and talked with people that the religious leaders thought were sinners and bad people. That's who he came to save!
Mosca, I appreciate the tweaking questions. I'm coming into a place where I am open to other's opinions about my actions.
I am here for my family but I need that break from reality. The every day and every weekend events can wear a man down! Those few hours a month that I spend watching the games is more than enough to keep me going. And when this season is over, I will go about my life, doing my honey-do list until next season when I will once again take the once a month diversion.

Livinginthe past
10-31-2006, 05:24 AM
Let me give you an example of what I mean. Yesterday I was at the bar watching the game. Yelling, screaming, cheering....outraged at the lost. It hurt to watch my team give away a game they should have won.
As I got home, I get to the door and I could hear my little girl yelling, "Dad-de, dad-de". As I walked in the door, I put my things down and received a hug and kiss and gleaming smile!

Now you tell me how any man could put the Steelers or football in general before that?

That was my little girl, a blessing from the heavens above! And how was I honoring the Lord for my precious gift...I put the Steelers in front of Him!

Thanks for the reply.

Working all night so didnt get a chance to reply til just now.

You know, I think its down to each individual but personally I think everyone needs their own time, of course you dont ignore your family but I think there is a happy medium.

That happy medium is different for everyone of course, but I dont think you should beat yourself up too much because of few hours each week for a third of the year spent with friends watching a team you love play ball.

The fact that you even think about this stuff puts you above plenty of husbands/fathers.

NM

Texasfan
10-31-2006, 05:46 AM

It's true that NFL ST is about $200/year. But you cannot just get the NFL ST. You usually spend on the monthly fee as well. This comes to about $40/month plus the Sunday Ticket. It is not as easily justified as you put it. For me it is a good deal, I stay at home, save money (because I do drink alcoholic bev's) and I get to watch it with my boys.

stillers4me
10-31-2006, 06:37 AM
I really don't understand why everybody is giving the guy so much flack about going to the sports bar to watch the game. If his wife is ok with it once in a while, what's the big deal? It's not like going to a singles bar. And as far as the money for Sunday Ticket to watch it at home......that's a personal choice. We could spend that money, too and we may at some point. Not living in the Pittsburgh area means 3 choices.......not watching the game, spend the money, or go to a sports bar. This is the first year we've gone to the bars to watch the games and as nice as it sounds to be able to stay home and watch the game, that also means I would have never have met nice people like Meanie and his wife and FloodCityGirl!! It as been both a pleasure and a privalage to enjoy the season (???........gee.....imagine if we were actually winning!) with them. When we add up how much we are spending each week (we all generally get dinner or lunch while we are there plus beverages), yes I suppose we could pay for the games at home. But watching our Steeleers win or lose in the company of 200 other Steeler fans (and a few Bungles fans thown into the mix) has been awesome!

Give the guy a break for actually having his priorities straight.

HometownGal
10-31-2006, 08:20 AM
To all my friends in Steelers Nation - we are the best fans in the world! I pray God's blessings on all of you. To all of the trolls, I pray God's blessings on you too!

When I first read your post, several passages in the Bible immediately came to mind, namely those contained in Genesis, Ephesians and Colossians. Follow the link below, and I think things may become somewhat clearer.

God created Man in His own image and likeness, but created him with imperfections and flaws, and gave him the power of intellect and the ability to reason.

I don't see where you have done anything wrong or have put football over your belief in and your love of God or your family, hon. You come across as a very loving and responsible husband and father, love the Lord and attend Bible study - your belief in family values and God is very strong from what I interpreted relative to what you wrote above and I don't feel that your relationship with God or with your family is being compromised by your feelings regarding the Steelers. Just my two cents.

http://www.bibleviews.com/Creation-man.html

floodcitygirl
10-31-2006, 09:40 AM
I really don't understand why everybody is giving the guy so much flack about going to the sports bar to watch the game. If his wife is ok with it once in a while, what's the big deal? It's not like going to a singles bar. And as far as the money for Sunday Ticket to watch it at home......that's a personal choice. We could spend that money, too and we may at some point. Not living in the Pittsburgh area means 3 choices.......not watching the game, spend the money, or go to a sports bar. This is the first year we've gone to the bars to watch the games and as nice as it sounds to be able to stay home and watch the game, that also means I would have never have met nice people like Meanie and his wife and FloodCityGirl!! It as been both a pleasure and a privalage to enjoy the season (???........gee.....imagine if we were actually winning!) with them. When we add up how much we are spending each week (we all generally get dinner or lunch while we are there plus beverages), yes I suppose we could pay for the games at home. But watching our Steeleers win or lose in the company of 200 other Steeler fans (and a few Bungles fans thown into the mix) has been awesome!

Give the guy a break for actually having his priorities straight.Right back at ya, Stillers! It definately helps to be with the faithful, win or lose! :hug:

Now...about that hubby of yours......????!!!!! :wantsome: (lol)