PDA

View Full Version : Ben is going to be fine

Stillers#1
10-30-2006, 02:02 PM
This kind of goes along with all of the "Quit Crying" type of threads I have seen latley, but I thought this subject deserved its own thread.

Everyone seems to be dumping on Ben, the media, fans, and fans of other teams. They say he isn't on the same level of the other QB's drafted with him. They say Eli is more mature, has better athletic ability, and Philip was given the time to grow into a better QB by sitting his first two years. I say BS. I say Ben never had to go through any type of growing pains (except the '05 playoffs), Ben was put into a position where, anyone could have won a game with the team he had around him. Ben made the few plays a game he was expected to make, and that was that. Now, this year, he is supposed to be out leader. He is being expected to play at a level where, he never had to be at before. Now we are asking him to throw the ball 25+ times per game. In my eyes, Ben is still a rookie QB. He doesn't have the experience of losing, like Carson Palmer went through, all Ben has known so far, is winning. With any QB, there will be growing pains, Ben just happened to get a Super Bowl ring before he went through his. Ben will be fine.

This season is not over yet. Not by a long shot.

Prosdo
10-30-2006, 02:07 PM
You know I have been getting very angry with fans saying get rid of Ben and such. In Ben's 3 years in the league. Season 1 takes us to AFC Championship game. Season 2 wins a Superbowl. Season 3 has a bad season. Umm... I'm not ready to give up on him yet lol.

stlrtruck
10-30-2006, 02:09 PM
That's what I'm talking about!

MACH1
10-30-2006, 02:14 PM
He'll be fine, he just kinda got thrown into the fire this year. With out much of a running game, He's being asked to carrie the team and trying to do to much and making stupid bonehead mistakes.

tony hipchest
10-30-2006, 02:32 PM
eli manning hasnt exactly been lighting it up. heres what he did yesterday 16/31 154 1 0

and p. rivers? 15/23 206 1 0. both players had wins and ironically their stats and seasons are mirroring what ben was able to do his 1st 2 seasons.

many are perhaps unfairly expecting him to look like tom brady or p. manning in just his 3rd season. one difference is you never see their knee bent backwards or see them laying motionless on the ground.

ben is playing alot like brett farve who was trying to do too much last year when he led the league with 27 int's. sure there are alot of farve bashers but im one who firmly believes he doesnt suck and his downfall was forcing the ball. heres farves numbers from yesterdays gb win: 17/25 180 1 0.

anyone see the trend here? ben practically begged for more passing in the offseason and hes not hidden that he would like to put up mvp and hall of fame numbers. hes confident he can do just that. but he can also just put up mediocre numbers, not turn the ball over and win games.

VolatileMan
10-30-2006, 02:36 PM
First off, Ben is our future PERIOD.

Second, we can attribute several losses DIRECTLY TO HIM.

We kicked Cincy's ass up and down the field, yes the D could have played a little better but the INT's were HUGE!

We played Jacksonville tough enough to win, Ben was totally ineffective.

Oakland, my god what was he thinking on some of those throws??

Bottom line Ben is playing like a rookie, physically he still has all the skills but his decission make is absolutely pathetic. Review all of his interceptions and I gaurentee Batch doesnt even throw half of those, Id even bet Ben in his first season doesnt make half of those throws.

Ben know looks more like Brett Fareve (current version) when he needs to be playing more like Ben in his first year.

If you dont believe 2 major concussions and some assorted surgeries over the last year doesnt affect someone, your crazy.

Damit, we could ruin this guy if we dont give him the time he really needs to recover, both physically and MENTALLY.

I truly believe if Batch palyed yestarday we would have one, hell we would have won with Ward playing QB. Because those guys wouldnt have tried to put this team on its shoulders and forced the issue. For Gods sakes the Raiders couldnt even generate 100 yard of total offense.

Ben needs to get his head on straight, he is not quit right (and this franchise needs to give him the time to do this).

just my $.02
VolatileMan

Preacher
10-30-2006, 02:59 PM
eli manning hasnt exactly been lighting it up. heres what he did yesterday 16/31 154 1 0

and p. rivers? 15/23 206 1 0. both players had wins and ironically their stats and seasons are mirroring what ben was able to do his 1st 2 seasons.

many are perhaps unfairly expecting him to look like tom brady or p. manning in just his 3rd season. one difference is you never see their knee bent backwards or see them laying motionless on the ground.

ben is playing alot like brett farve who was trying to do too much last year when he led the league with 27 int's. sure there are alot of farve bashers but im one who firmly believes he doesnt suck and his downfall was forcing the ball. heres farves numbers from yesterdays gb win: 17/25 180 1 0.

anyone see the trend here? ben practically begged for more passing in the offseason and hes not hidden that he would like to put up mvp and hall of fame numbers. hes confident he can do just that. but he can also just put up mediocre numbers, not turn the ball over and win games.

I would only add to that the inexplainable subpar performance of our Offensive line.

gregstephens
10-30-2006, 03:05 PM
I would add that these points are exactly what I brought up in my column last month about not giving up on Ben. However, read my latest column "Time to Stop the Madness", and you'll see why I support sitting Ben a game or two to get him back on track.

Infamix
10-30-2006, 03:17 PM
I would not have minded sitting him against the Raiders so he could heal up a bit

tony hipchest
10-30-2006, 03:19 PM
I would add that these points are exactly what I brought up in my column last month about not giving up on Ben. However, read my latest column "Time to Stop the Madness", and you'll see why I support sitting Ben a game or two to get him back on track.very good column

Hines0wnz
10-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Yes, Ben will be fine but he should realize that he isnt invincible and taking a week off versus the Raiders would help him against the Broncos at home. I blame the coaching staff for not stepping up and making him the back up yesterday. Now he has a crappy game to think about all week and then go against a pissed off Denver team.

Atlanta Dan
10-30-2006, 04:11 PM
As a pro athlete Ben is going to play unless the coaches sit him.

It wouldbe one thing if the only back-up was St. Pierre, but to feel a need to play Ben with the back-up performances Batch has turned in is inexplicable.

This team still has the talent to win as long as the QB does not screw it up. Due to his injuries, Ben is not capabale of doing that at the moment. It is the coaches' fault for not recognizing/admitting Ben is hurt and playing Batch.

Ben will be fine in 2007 unless he gets hurt again or his probelms this year get in his head for future years.

skinart82
10-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Ben has needed a rest since the middle of the season LAST YEAR. Just look at his injuries since then, two leg injuries, 2 thumb injuries (even though one was the lucky broke thumb that won them one for the thumb), two concussions, and an appendix removal. He should have sat out the Jax game, maybe even the Cincy game, but definately the Raiders game. I am praying that Ben is our guy for the next 10+ years, I know he's the future of this team, but I think he has made some bad moves and the coaches(Cowher) have made even worse moves. Chuck Noll used to sit Bradshaw all the time and he knew what he was doing. Cowher is just worried somebody will start crying like Kordell Stewart did.

Give Ben a good rest, he needs it. Maybe we should look at his health for next season instead of trying to force wins this season and jeapordize his health all together. Just cause you have a bad season now, doesn't meen it's all over. The Steelers will be here forever and Ben is our guy!

Steelers
10-30-2006, 05:31 PM
It's common knowledge that his first game back after being hurt, he flat out sucks. This was true against Indy and the Ravens last year, and it's true this year.

The guy is AMAZING when he's not thrown in after being hurt. It's just the way it works. He'll be lights out crazy good next week. Just watch.

m_and_mh
10-30-2006, 05:46 PM
I think ben needs a break. He was in a motor cycle accident, had his appendix taken out, and had a coma. His body has got to be tired, I mean like super worn out. Pull him out for a game or two, then he can come back refreshed and ready to play. Until that happens, he's still gonna have problems. Personally I think that Cowher is not doing his job. Even if they want to play him fine, but pull him out about half way through the 3rd quarter and let him take a breather, then put him back in during the 4th.

lotas
10-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Pull him but screw resting...make him practice reading defenses and such for two weeks straight! Make him and the quarterbacks coach be with each other 24/7!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-30-2006, 06:23 PM
You know I have been getting very angry with fans saying get rid of Ben and such. In Ben's 3 years in the league. Season 1 takes us to AFC Championship game. Season 2 wins a Superbowl. Season 3 has a bad season. Umm... I'm not ready to give up on him yet lol.

Bandwagon fans dont think they way a real steeler fan does because they do not remember Bens first year because they were not fans until they won the superbowl

OHIO FIN FAN
10-30-2006, 06:48 PM
He is not going to be fine....Unless you give hime 2 or 3 more weapons around him....He is an average QB that happened to get lucky and have a "great team" around him the last two years....Now that he has lost Randle El and Bettis he will continue to struggle....No excuses....

Black@Gold Forever32
10-30-2006, 06:56 PM
He is not going to be fine....Unless you give hime 2 or 3 more weapons around him....He is an average QB that happened to get lucky and have a "great team" around him the last two years....Now that he has lost Randle El and Bettis he will continue to struggle....No excuses....

Yea Randle El was such a great WR. You tool Randle El only had 35 catches and 1 TD as a WR last year. Do some ****ing research before posting your stupid ass shit.