PDA

View Full Version : Patriots/Vikings

hardwork
10-30-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm expecting a tough game. Minn. has a quick defense, and will be hard to run on. Our defense is coming along though and shouldn't have too much trouble holding the Vikings back.

Prediction: A close game that's up for grabs.

MACH1
10-30-2006, 01:18 PM
GO VIKES------just because

tony hipchest
10-30-2006, 01:44 PM
i think the x factor will be the patriots going against a qb who has actually done something in this league. johnson may have to throw 40-45 times to win.

BBC
10-30-2006, 03:28 PM
First, I'd like to say good post hardwork, nice to see that you can bring some educated football talk to this forum :smile:

I agree with you. This should be a hard fought game, but in the end, I never pick against the Patriots.

Hawk Believer
10-30-2006, 03:42 PM
I was really surprised by Chester Taylor in the game against the Seahawks. I hardly ever hear about the guy but he looked good. Course, our D, or lack therof, made him look better. Anyway, HW - am curious to hear your impression Taylor after you watch this game. He seems a bit underated to me.

Ambridge
10-30-2006, 05:27 PM
The Pats might not have Richard Seymour due to an injured elbow.
I believe I heard he'll be a game time decision whether he goes or not.

I agree that it will be interesting to see what kind of game Chester Taylor has.

Hines0wnz
10-30-2006, 06:39 PM
I know Belichek and the Pats are a smart team but seeing the 7-0 Colts on the schedule next weekend may cause some of the players to not focus. I doubt it.......but that dome will be rocking for sure. Could be a long night of false starts due to the new recievers.

hardwork
10-30-2006, 06:53 PM
The Pats might not have Richard Seymour due to an injured elbow.
I believe I heard he'll be a game time decision whether he goes or not.

I never bring that stuff into it. These are all teams in the NFL. You either beat your competition or you don't. Who's out doesn't count. I'm not saying you don't feel the same way, just making my point of view clear.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Wow what a first drive by the Pats. March down and put a TD up like that. Thats pretty impressive. Why everyone in the known world wants to slob on the knob of Peyton Manning. Tom Brady once again proved why he is the best QB in the NFL on that drive. The guy has no WR's and still completes all of his passes. I do think Gabriel could be very good for the Pats at WR though.

hardwork
10-30-2006, 11:56 PM
The Patriots looked pretty good tonight on both sides of the ball. Apparently they had a good week at practice, and then were able to bring that out onto the field.

Maroney is pure talent and he's being used well.

Livinginthe past
10-31-2006, 03:55 AM
That was one of the most awesome displays by a Patriots team I have seen in a long while.

It was a clever game plan, but execution is everything and Brady was near on perfect.

It was amusing listening to those goons on MNF procrastinate about whether Arizona and GreenBay would come out and use the same idea - well, they may try to implement it but have they got the coaching and talent to carry it through?

Its not often you see a defense so sold on the pass that your full back runs for 35 yards on a single carry.

Maroney showed some beautiful moves, but I was most impressed with his strength after the first hit - he just kept ploughing forward.

Looks like the WRs are getting into sync with Brady which can only be bad news for the rest of the NFL.

The D showed they can do the bend-dont-break thing and also mix in some heavy blitzing - what they did to Bollinger ought to be illegal.

Brad Johnson made some poor decisions (for a QB who has done something in the league), but one of the more perecetive comments from the booth noted that he is far from the first QB to be bamboozled by the Patriots schemes on D - and he wont be the last either.

BB will be preaching - just another win - and thats exactly what it is - steady improvement to peak form by the post season.

NM

Chronicgaming
10-31-2006, 08:34 AM
Congrats on the win LITP. I have to admit, it was fun watching some of the drives that New England put together. Nice victory (even though I was hoping the Vikings would get the win... haha).

tony hipchest
10-31-2006, 09:37 AM
Brad Johnson made some poor decisions (for a QB who has done something in the league), but one of the more perecetive comments from the booth noted that he is far from the first QB to be bamboozled by the Patriots schemes on D - and he wont be the last either.

NMdont get hung up on me correctly pointing out that they were facing a qb who has accomplished significantly more than harrington, losman, and the likes of noodlearm and noodleknee. it is ironic they got another chance to tee off on bollinger yet again.

but like i said, johnson would have to throw the ball (and be successful in doing so) 40-45 times in order to pull out the win.

as good as the execution was i think last night was where belichick was at his best. his gameplan was like that of a champion poker player or chess player. in poker you have to play the cards close to your vest and even fold on a good hand or 2 to keep you opponents off guard and set them up.

the vikings had seen nothing on film to suggest the patriots were gonna come out and throw for 250 yds in the 1st half. this same strategy (along with us serving the ball up on a platter) was what helped the falcons and chargers beat the steelers through the air. with recent weak opponents 'chick had the liberty to not show his hand or play some good cards.

now, like a great chess player, this move was really to set up the next one, which is the colts who are undisputedly the best team they will face to date. half of the coaching for next weeks game is done. you have to think the colts have been focusing on how to stop the patriots run. last night thats exactly what they wanted and expected minnesota to do. didnt work out too well. while i think the colts will win, the biggest obstacle they will face starts today. paralysis by overanalysis.

these 2 games will be ones that the bears study heavilly for their upcoming matchup, so as you can see, last nights game will go a long way. bills offensive philosophy has always been to keep the defense guessing, and guessing wrong. the only way to combat this is to gamble and send the house and keep blitzing, because playing on your heels or playing a prevent defense doesnt work against the pats.

hardwork
10-31-2006, 09:44 AM
the vikings had seen nothing on film to suggest the patriots were gonna come out and throw for 250 yds in the 1st half.

Anyone who didn't know the Pats were going to pass, pass, and pass somemore last night has been following the league from Mars. The fact that they did it so well shouldn't really surprise anyone either except those who are wishing Brady and the Patriots would just go away.

hardwork
10-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Anyway, HW - am curious to hear your impression Taylor after you watch this game. He seems a bit underated to me.

Fortunately we/I didn't get a chance to see him that much last night.

Livinginthe past
10-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Congrats on the win LITP. I have to admit, it was fun watching some of the drives that New England put together. Nice victory (even though I was hoping the Vikings would get the win... haha).

Thanks Chronic,

It was exciting stuff most of the game - major props to the O-Line, Brady had alot of time to make some of those throws.

It doesnt surprise me that Pittsburgh fans root against the Patriots, but its good to see someone give them credit!

NM

Atlanta Dan
10-31-2006, 10:48 AM
NBC has to be ecstatic with Colts-Pats followed by Giants-Bears the next two Sunday nights.

Congrats to Belichek & Brady for not being satsfied with past accomplishments, unlike a certain other coach I watch every Sunday.

Livinginthe past
10-31-2006, 10:50 AM
NBC has to be ecstatic with Colts-Pats followed by Giants-Bears the next two Sunday nights.

Congrats to Belichek & Brady for not being satsfied with past accomplishments, unlike a certain other coach I watch every Sunday.

Cheers AtlantaDan!

:cheers:

NM

Black@Gold Forever32
10-31-2006, 03:24 PM
Hardwork, LITP your team looked real sharp and good last night. That was very impressive. LITP, You know I always give the Pats their just due. Again last night that team showed they are one of the best teams in the NFL. Before the season I still thought the Pats were the best team in the AFC East and a top 3-4 in the AFC. But last night the Pats showed they are top five or better in the whole NFL.

I agree with you LITP the WR's seem to be finding a rythem with Tom Brady. Both Gabriel and Caldwell had good games. Plus Chad Jackson and Troy Brown both scored TD's. Then you have the freak at TE in Ben Watson. I havn't even mentioned the Pats running game yet. The Pats didn't need their combo at RB last night. I bet this week with the Colts struggles at stopping the run. I see Dillon and Maroney having big games against the Colts. Plus we all know who Peyton Manning's daddy is. Its Bill Belichick.

Hats off to your organization. As long as number 12 is healthy and under center the Pats will be a force in the NFL. I won't bet against the Pats come playoff time. I'm calling it right now. The Pats will beat both the Colts and Bears.

Cape Cod Steel Head
10-31-2006, 03:26 PM
As much as I hate to admit it The Patsy's looked very good last nite. Then again they have only really been tested once, and we know how that turned out!

Livinginthe past
11-01-2006, 01:00 AM
Hardwork, LITP your team looked real sharp and good last night. That was very impressive. LITP, You know I always give the Pats their just due. Again last night that team showed they are one of the best teams in the NFL. Before the season I still thought the Pats were the best team in the AFC East and a top 3-4 in the AFC. But last night the Pats showed they are top five or better in the whole NFL.

I agree with you LITP the WR's seem to be finding a rythem with Tom Brady. Both Gabriel and Caldwell had good games. Plus Chad Jackson and Troy Brown both scored TD's. Then you have the freak at TE in Ben Watson. I havn't even mentioned the Pats running game yet. The Pats didn't need their combo at RB last night. I bet this week with the Colts struggles at stopping the run. I see Dillon and Maroney having big games against the Colts. Plus we all know who Peyton Manning's daddy is. Its Bill Belichick.

Hats off to your organization. As long as number 12 is healthy and under center the Pats will be a force in the NFL. I won't bet against the Pats come playoff time. I'm calling it right now. The Pats will beat both the Colts and Bears.

Good call 32,

Things are starting to gel.

It will be interesting to see how the Patriots attack the Colts this week - I would bet BB will try and keep the ball on the ground for the majority - which serves as a double bonus that Steelers fans will be aware of.

It keeps the opposition D on the field and their QB, namely Manning, off the field - aswell as being a productive way of moving the chains.

In 2004 we used this tactic to great effect - running Dillon up the gut repeatedly - Manning became frustrated with his teams T.O.P. (22:17 - 37:43) and tried to force the issue by taking everything into his own hands.

Thats the thing with Manning, when he is rattled he normally tries to do too much instead of giving the RB some more touches, this makes the Colts one dimensional which is the one thing you dont want to be against a Belichick defence.

Last year he was able to pick on a DB corps that was in absolute disarray - it was a total mismatch - this year I think we have enough to keep him check.

NM

hardwork
11-01-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm calling it right now. The Pats will beat both the Colts and Bears.

That's a pretty tall order but I'd like to see 'em fill it.