PDA

View Full Version : Road to the playoffs in the AFC NORTH

paw-n-maul-u
10-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Before reading just assume that Steelers win out the rest of their division games (it'll make a little more sense)

Cincy's remaining schedule:
@ B-more
San Diego
@ New Orleans
@ Cleveland
B-more
Oakland
@Indy
@Denver
Pittsburgh

Breakdown: As sad as it might seem, (and I remember a troll picking fun because he said we would have to root for Cincy this week) the troll is right ... kind of. B-more and Cincy have to split wins Which would put Cincy's division record at 4-2. Cincy winning the division last year might just be a little blessing in disguise given that instead of playing Indy and NE, we got Miami and J-ville. I see two games on there that the Bungholes will/should win. And with road games against Indy, Denver, B-more, and New Orleans ... cincy will definitely have their hands full.

B-more's remaining schedule:
Cincy
@ Tennessee
Atlanta
Pittsburgh
@Cincy
@ Kansas City
Cleveland
@Pittsburgh
Buffalo

Breakdown: Three games on there that B-more will/should win. That means that they will need to go 5-4 from here on out, while splitting W's with Cincy (this is necessary for division winner tie breaker record). That puts B-more's division record at 3-3 or 4-2, but B-more HAS to get one win over Cincy.

This right here is really the only thing that matters. We don't have the luxury to pick and chose which games WE "need to win" ... every game for us is a need to win. One thing is for sure. We absolutely HAVE TO sweep the rest of our division. If that happens we might be able to afford one more loss. So the road ahead of us is like so: Win out in our division. Can really only afford one more more loss (and that CANNOT happen this week against Denver for division tie break/conference record).

It's do-able ... but not likely. going 8-1 from here on out is going to be near impossible with the way we are playing. The saddest thing is, I really do believe we have the most talent on BOTH sides of the ball between any team in our division.

So let's just say (gasp!) that the steelers continue on their downward spiral and miss the playoffs. What can we look at for next year that we need to adjust via draft or FA. Well, for one thing, I think it's time for Mr. Rooney to break out his damn pocketbook and go after a big name on the defensive side of the ball. specifically a LB (unless we have plans on taking one in the draft, and the way things are looking right now, Paul Poz isn't really THAT far out of reach. Not to mention all of the other good LB's available.) However, I think that going FA for LB, picking up a solid LB on day 1, we should be pretty good at LB.

Offensive line. let's assume that hartings is on his way out (which I think he needs to be). There are some darn good offensive lineman in this draft OTHER than Thomas. So hartings, or anyone on the right side.

Running back. It's obvious to any who really watches the games that Parker is just not the long term answer to this team, although I am very glad he is on it. The first round is going to be loaded with talent at the RB position and i think any player not gone in the top ten should be available to us.

Infamix
10-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks, I was looking for a mathematical analysis like this. I really don't think the Steelers can even win 6 out of their next 9. What I think and what I want to happen are two different things, so let's hope the Steelers prove me wrong. Secondly, I don't care if LT is our runningback, he won't get yards behind our line if they continue to play this way. Willie Parker is a good runningback, I see so much talent in him. If our offensive line starts to play like they did in 04', Fast Willie could easily be a huge part of our offense.

4n2t0
10-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Here's some math...

5 Divisional Games Left = Good Luck! Nothing is impossible but many things are HIGHLY unlikely.

stlrtruck
10-30-2006, 04:27 PM
It was also unlikely that a 6th seed would roll through the playoffs and win the Super Bowl. Wait, wait a minute...we did that last year. Which means we can do something else that is "unlikely".
I think it's definitely going to be harder than what it was last year but it can be done and we can do it!

BigDuke6
10-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Great post !!! I've been looking for a silver lining, somewhere, anywhere. Yesterday I was so P'd-off and frustrated, it was all over for me. Your post proves its not over yet.
As far as draft and FA is concerned, lets wait until my Mother-in-Law, I mean the fat lady is finished with the microphone.

dsk1975
10-30-2006, 05:06 PM
People seem to forget running backs like Barry Sanders, Tiki Barber, Warick Dunn etc.... They are small fast backs that are/were doing well in the NFL. The OL needs to step up and make even the littlest of holes for Willie. I really believe Willie could be a consistent 12-1400 yd 12-16 td back for 5-7 more seasons. But I will agree a bigger pounding back to help wear down the D would be a huge plus.

SteelCityMan786
10-30-2006, 05:08 PM
IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE! Looking at the records, The Steelers can definantly win the divison winning out as stated, plus If Cincy goes 10-6 and we tie Baltimore at 11-5 we can also take the divison(Head-To-Head).

Cape Cod Steel Head
10-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Its not mathematically impossible yet, but if anybody wants to put money on it PM me.

Steelers
10-30-2006, 05:27 PM
"Should" means nothing to me. We should've clobbered the Raiders yesterday. :banging:

paw-n-maul-u
10-30-2006, 06:13 PM
People seem to forget running backs like Barry Sanders, Tiki Barber, Warick Dunn etc.... They are small fast backs that are/were doing well in the NFL. The OL needs to step up and make even the littlest of holes for Willie. I really believe Willie could be a consistent 12-1400 yd 12-16 td back for 5-7 more seasons. But I will agree a bigger pounding back to help wear down the D would be a huge plus.

all three of those backs were also drafted on day 1 ... barber the only not in the first round (just barely ... like the 35th or 36th pick) ... Dunn was the 12th pick and sanders the 3rd ... not that this means anything except maybe that coming out of college all of the backs were taken high for their exceptional INTANGIBLES ... sure they all have moves and speed blah blah ... but the vision and awareness that you get from being a featured running back in college is probably a little more advantageous that sitting third on the depth chart at UNC ... pish ... anyways ... last thing i wanna say is will everyone PLEASE stop comparing willie to these "small" backs

Barry sanders- 5 foot 8 200 Lbs.
Warrick Dunn- 5 foot 9 180 Lbs.
Tiki Barber- 5 foot 9 200 Lbs.
WILLIE PARKER-5 foot 10 215 Lbs. ( i believe thats the weight hes playing at this year ... regardless ... no less than 210)

... so parker has about an inch-two inces and between 15-30 lbs on all these guys ... i think parker was probably an undrafted FA out of UNC for a reason ... not becasue he is some golden treasure god-send that is going to revolutionize the steelers ground game ... he NEEDS a compliment ... you tell me the last time a good defense went "whew ... that guy sure is pounding on us" ... ha

Carolina Steelers
10-30-2006, 06:20 PM
First of all I love my Steelers I wore my gear today even thought they got beat by the Raiders. But lets be real Lets assume the Steelers win out come on win out they have 2 wins in 7 games and got beat by the woeful Raiders, how about take 1 game at a time. I Like to believe we could come back from this but I dont see it. Big Ben is our #1 problem hes only played 6 good qtrs. this year. Thats were it all starts. 2 pick 6's. He looked like Bledsoe yesterday.

MACH1
10-30-2006, 06:21 PM
I hear Bam Morris is looking for a job....lmao :nana:

blackngoldbaby
10-30-2006, 06:45 PM
First of all I love my Steelers I wore my gear today even thought they got beat by the Raiders. But lets be real Lets assume the Steelers win out come on win out they have 2 wins in 7 games and got beat by the woeful Raiders, how about take 1 game at a time. I Like to believe we could come back from this but I dont see it. Big Ben is our #1 problem hes only played 6 good qtrs. this year. Thats were it all starts. 2 pick 6's. He looked like Bledsoe yesterday.

i wore my steelers gear today!!!! i were it win or loose!

SteelCityMan786
10-30-2006, 07:21 PM
i wore my steelers gear today!!!! i were it win or loose!

I wore my sweatshirt into school, I decided to represent for my boys. Not feel ashamed to.

blackngoldbaby
10-30-2006, 07:36 PM
I wore my sweatshirt into school, I decided to represent for my boys. Not feel ashamed to.

there is no reason to be ashamed i wore mine with my head held high today! ;)

SteelCityMan786
10-30-2006, 07:37 PM
there is no reason to be ashamed i wore mine with my head held high today! ;)

Like wise.

skinart82
10-30-2006, 07:58 PM
I wear mine one way or another everyday and I've never had shame. Black And Gold Forever

stlrtruck
10-30-2006, 08:45 PM
I drive mine every day!

james203
10-30-2006, 11:42 PM
if the steelers lose at home to the broncos this sunday i can safely say the season is over.so ill cross my fingers & hope for a good steelers perfomance.denver is a very good team and they are favored to win.i sure hope the steelers kick ass just like they did to kansas city.the damn turnovers are the reason pitts lost to cincy,atlanta and oakland.they should actually be 5-2 not 2-5 & in first place in the afc north.what a damn yr.....sigh.

SteelerFanInCA
10-31-2006, 03:58 PM
Before reading just assume that Steelers win out the rest of their division games (it'll make a little more sense)

Cincy's remaining schedule:
@ B-more
San Diego
@ New Orleans
@ Cleveland
B-more
Oakland
@Indy
@Denver
Pittsburgh

Breakdown: As sad as it might seem, (and I remember a troll picking fun because he said we would have to root for Cincy this week) the troll is right ... kind of. B-more and Cincy have to split wins Which would put Cincy's division record at 4-2. Cincy winning the division last year might just be a little blessing in disguise given that instead of playing Indy and NE, we got Miami and J-ville. I see two games on there that the Bungholes will/should win. And with road games against Indy, Denver, B-more, and New Orleans ... cincy will definitely have their hands full.

B-more's remaining schedule:
Cincy
@ Tennessee
Atlanta
Pittsburgh
@Cincy
@ Kansas City
Cleveland
@Pittsburgh
Buffalo

Breakdown: Three games on there that B-more will/should win. That means that they will need to go 5-4 from here on out, while splitting W's with Cincy (this is necessary for division winner tie breaker record). That puts B-more's division record at 3-3 or 4-2, but B-more HAS to get one win over Cincy.

This right here is really the only thing that matters. We don't have the luxury to pick and chose which games WE "need to win" ... every game for us is a need to win. One thing is for sure. We absolutely HAVE TO sweep the rest of our division. If that happens we might be able to afford one more loss. So the road ahead of us is like so: Win out in our division. Can really only afford one more more loss (and that CANNOT happen this week against Denver for division tie break/conference record).

It's do-able ... but not likely. going 8-1 from here on out is going to be near impossible with the way we are playing. The saddest thing is, I really do believe we have the most talent on BOTH sides of the ball between any team in our division.

So let's just say (gasp!) that the steelers continue on their downward spiral and miss the playoffs. What can we look at for next year that we need to adjust via draft or FA. Well, for one thing, I think it's time for Mr. Rooney to break out his damn pocketbook and go after a big name on the defensive side of the ball. specifically a LB (unless we have plans on taking one in the draft, and the way things are looking right now, Paul Poz isn't really THAT far out of reach. Not to mention all of the other good LB's available.) However, I think that going FA for LB, picking up a solid LB on day 1, we should be pretty good at LB.

Offensive line. let's assume that hartings is on his way out (which I think he needs to be). There are some darn good offensive lineman in this draft OTHER than Thomas. So hartings, or anyone on the right side.

Running back. It's obvious to any who really watches the games that Parker is just not the long term answer to this team, although I am very glad he is on it. The first round is going to be loaded with talent at the RB position and i think any player not gone in the top ten should be available to us.

Nice insight. I was brain storming this same idea last night. You are right, the key for us is to keep winning and win out the season. If cinn and balt are losing it doesn't bode us well if we keep losing to subpar teams. I guess we can just keep our fingers crossed and watch which Big Ben shows up from week to week.