PDA

View Full Version : Steeler Forums - The Worst of Both Worlds

Infamix
10-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Steelersfever is the most optimistic forum I have seen for the Steelers to win out the rest of their games, but is this too optimistic?

The other forums are discussing draft picks, and are ready to get the first pick.

I just don't know what to think of this season, I know we can only hope for wins from this point on, but is it really POSSIBLE? Our schedule isn't a cakewalk from here on, and the turnover problem has obviously not been fixed. Is anyone willing to calculate our odds? :computer:

SteelCzar76
10-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Steelersfever is the most optimistic forum I have seen for the Steelers to win out the rest of their games, but is this too optimistic?

The other forums are discussing draft picks, and are ready to get the first pick.

I just don't know what to think of this season, I know we can only hope for wins from this point on, but is it really POSSIBLE? Our schedule isn't a cakewalk from here on, and the turnover problem has obviously not been fixed. Is anyone willing to calculate our odds? :computer:

We've discussed the Draft I.M (Note recent threads). But that doesn't mean we've considered this season finished. As long as there is any will,....there is opportunity. I can't speak for everyone of us,......nor do i attempt to,......but i've seen it all as far as this organization is concerned.
In regards to odd's,.....they don't matter,.....until we are officialy eliminated from a "mathematic" point of view.
Don't take this as "Rah Rah",........it's just that the power of resolve or lack thereof is considerable.

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Black@Gold Forever32
10-30-2006, 08:25 PM
We've discussed the Draft I.M (Note recent threads). But that doesn't mean we've considered this season finished. As long as there is any will,....there is opportunity. I can't speak for everyone of us,......nor do i attempt to,......but i've seen it all as far as this organization is concerned.
In regards to odd's,.....they don't matter,.....until we are officialy eliminated from a "mathematic" point of view.
Don't take this as "Rah Rah",........it's just that the power of resolve or lack thereof is considerable.

Czar you continue to make the most sense and you are one of the reasons I came back to this site. Nice post bro.

Infamix
10-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Good post Czar. I know this forum discussed draft picks, but realistically. Not to the extent of drafting a new qb with the 1st or second pick.

Mosca
10-30-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't take it as much to heart as others here do, but I still sit in front of the game each week expecting to see us kick ass. Yeah, I've been disappointed five times this year, but so what? Next week is a new Sunday, and we're going to kick ass!

Realistically I understand that we might finish 6-10. Oh well, that happens sometimes. I understand that 11-5 might not win the division, or get us a wild card. Yeah, that happens sometimes too. So what? I'm lucky to be a fan!

Tom

Stillers#1
10-30-2006, 08:31 PM
I would say, 25.333% (repeating of course) of us running the table. After last season, I wouldnt count these guys out.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Good post Czar. I know this forum discussed draft picks, but realistically. Not to the extent of drafting a new qb with the 1st or second pick.

Well any Steelers fans suggesting the Steelers spending another 1st round pick on a QB doesn't have a ****ing clue.

Infamix
10-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Well any Steelers fans suggesting the Steelers spending another 1st round pick on a QB doesn't have a ****ing clue.

Obviously they don't. And get this, most of them are 30+ years old. They were not even being sarcastic.

Atlanta Dan
10-30-2006, 08:35 PM
I don't take it as much to heart as others here do, but I still sit in front of the game each week expecting to see us kick ass. Yeah, I've been disappointed five times this year, but so what? Next week is a new Sunday, and we're going to kick ass!

Realistically I understand that we might finish 6-10. Oh well, that happens sometimes. I understand that 11-5 might not win the division, or get us a wild card. Yeah, that happens sometimes too. So what? I'm lucky to be a fan!

Tom

Good post - we watch because we care, win or lose.

Is this year a disapointment? - h**l yes!

Am I any less of a Steelers fan becuase of it? - h**l no!

PalmerSteel
10-30-2006, 08:55 PM
this forum is much better than pittsburghlive. too much bs over there. optimistic here but yet realistic. i swear half the posters their are probably on suicidal watch. just like others say, if we are mathmetically still in it, gotta keep on keepin on (just maybe temper the expectations a bit now).

SteelCzar76
10-30-2006, 08:57 PM

I even listed Drafting Troy Smith as a possible option with a high first round pick. Not to Sh#t on Ben,.....but actually for HIS potential growth, or as a worst case "failsafe" for this organization.
Does this mean that i (or anyone else that is "Family" want to see Ben fail ?) Absoloutley not.
It just may be a matter of some not wanting to suffer through five or six years of "good,.....but not good enough',... because of one player. (Your field General)
I don't believe that most are turning their backs on Ben,......it's just a matter of being very "perceptive" (so to speak) in regards to QB play. (In light of our history,...absolute high's and absolute low's included)

"Hail Caesar,.........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Black@Gold Forever32
10-30-2006, 09:05 PM
I even listed Drafting Troy Smith as a possible option with a high first round pick. Not to Sh#t on Ben,.....but actually for HIS potential growth, or as a worst case "failsafe" for this organization.
Does this mean that i (or anyone else that is "Family" want to see Ben fail ?) Absoloutley not.
It just may be a matter of some not wanting to suffer through five or six years of "good,.....but not good enough',... because of one player. (Your field General)
I don't believe that most are turning their backs on Ben,......it's just a matter of being very "perceptive" (so to speak) in regards to QB play. (In light of our history,...absolute high's and absolute low's included)

"Hail Caesar,.........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Well Czar I respect your posts very much. But I don't think spending a 1st round pick on a QB in 2007 is to wise. I think other positions are in more of a glaring need to spend a 1st round pick on. I think Ben has shown that he is a good NFL QB and is just still growing as a QB. Yes he is struggling bigtime. But he has been through alot also. How about improving the overrated offensive line for starters. Lets face it Jeff Harting is done and now we will get to see if Chucky Okobi is a player. The coaches finally are giving Chris Kemoeat a shot at RG thank God. I think Kendall Simmons hasn't been the same the last few years. I think Max Starks is an average RT at best.

The Steelers still need some help at corner. Plus they have to start to thinking about injecting some youth at all the LB spots. Plus a dominating DE like Richard Seymour would be great also.

SteelCityMan786
10-30-2006, 09:12 PM

Well Thought. I don't lose hope that the season at least won't be a good one.

touchdownward
10-30-2006, 09:14 PM
I lurk on several Steeler boards, but this is the only one I'm a member of (unless you count the Steelers forum on allsports.com where I'm the only poster, kinda like dancing with yourself in the dark).
I felt like this one is the best that I've found, lots of realistic, knowledgeable posters here. To me the few "trolls" we have here are amusing, but that's just me.

Also, I agree about the Steelerslive forum and I can't stand that stupid tribalfusion popup either. It's the only time I ever have a popup sneak in on my computers.

Go Steelers!!!!

SteelCzar76
10-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Well Czar I respect your posts very much. But I don't think spending a 1st round pick on a QB in 2007 is to wise. I think other positions are in more of a glaring need to spend a 1st round pick on. I think Ben has shown that he is a good NFL QB and is just still growing as a QB. Yes he is struggling bigtime. But he has been through alot also. How about improving the overrated offensive line for starters. Lets face it Jeff Harting is done and now we will get to see if Chucky Okobi is a player. The coaches finally are giving Chris Kemoeat a shot at RG thank God. I think Kendall Simmons hasn't been the same the last few years. I think Max Starks is an average RT at best.

The Steelers still need some help at corner. Plus they have to start to thinking about injecting some youth at all the LB spots. Plus a dominating DE like Richard Seymour would be great also.

I didn't say that i believe this what we should do BlackandGold (Drafting a QB). As much as i could comprehend it as an option. For the record,.... i'm personally in favor of taking Peterson or Posluszny should we be so unfortunate as to draft that high. LOL
Pleasebelieve we could use help at Corner, Wr and possibly center or RT respectively,.....but i just wouldn't select any of the current prospective picks at those positions over Peterson or Posluszny. (With a pick so high)
Anyway,....we're "thread Jacking" LOL,.... so i'll just finish with this. Let's "shake up the world" this year,... and trade up from 32nd and get Bush or Kyle Young ?

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

hardwork
10-30-2006, 09:36 PM
Your season is far from over. Even if you don't reach the playoffs, ever game is important from the perspective of gaining experience for your younger players like Roethlisberger, etc., and continuing to grow as a team. While Roethlisberger has been through a lot, and isn't playing up to snuff, the rest of your team looks quite good. I just do not see some the negatives I'm reading about on this board. As for these people in others groups talking about the draft already, pfffffffttt. They're the kind of people who miss life as it goes by in front of them.

MattsMe
10-30-2006, 10:37 PM

Exactly. We've already gone through that during the the O'donnell/Stewart/Maddox days. Although on the bright side, being good but not good enough is always better than being no good at all.

MACH1
10-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Exactly. We've already gone through that during the the O'donnell/Stewart/Maddox days. Although on the bright side, being good but not good enough is always better than being no good at all.

Yeah, just go ask the bungels. :toofunny:

X-Terminator
10-30-2006, 11:37 PM
The fact that we are even discussing drafting another QB - serious or not - is just more proof that Steelers fans are the most fickle in the NFL. It also vindicates me for what I've said all along - Pittsburgh is a QB's nightmare..."perfection or the pine." Ben would have been better off playing in New York or Philadelphia.

Preacher
10-31-2006, 12:21 AM
The fact that we are even discussing drafting another QB - serious or not - is just more proof that Steelers fans are the most fickle in the NFL. It also vindicates me for what I've said all along - Pittsburgh is a QB's nightmare..."perfection or the pine." Ben would have been better off playing in New York or Philadelphia.

I wouldn't go as far as that... but I do agree with you we have to be careful. As I have already posted someplace else, do we really want to be known as the team that drives its superbowl winning QB's out of town? It is a shame what happened between Bradshaw and Pittsburgh. We don't need to do it again. And yes, Ben will win as many SB's if not more with the Steelers.

PalmerSteel
10-31-2006, 12:24 AM

imo, no its not a qb's nightmare. this guy is in his 3rd year! the reigns were gonna be let loose on him this year. the playoff run and preseason no huddle drills was proof. ben's health has decided otherwise and that is why we are where we are. we DO NOT draft high on another qb, UNLESS ben looks like this the rest of the year. we will rise and we will fall with ben this year. we should. without him, we would not have made it to the super bowl. the staff and team gotta keep confidence in him or he could be ruined and we are back at square one. even if we dont make the playoffs, we need to see how ben bounces back. i agree terminator, the fans do get a little harsh on the QB's. up until ben, there was many reasons too though. but not ben. not yet.

Petesburgh66
10-31-2006, 12:27 AM
You can't point to one thing that has created this freaking nightmare of a season. Ben's health problems and coming back too early to play, the number of costly turnovers, the lack of a consistent run attack, o-line problems, poor special teams (both sides of coin), the way Cowher approached pre-season games with not having the regulars getting more reps etc. This is not what a defending Superbowl team does.

The notion of drafting another QB is laughable. Ben just has to stay healthy.

SteelersWoman
10-31-2006, 01:51 AM
Like Tom, I still sit in front of the tv each week--and emotionally, I expect us to win. Realistically, I know we have a much better chance of losing. Our guys have the talent, and the fans want to believe, but our team just does not have the DRIVE necessary to pull off even the semblance of a winning season. It starts from the coach down.

Think about it--how many times have any of you seen "The Chin" in all 7 games? I saw it for about 10 seconds during our 6th game, and perhaps for a few seconds in our 4th...

I think that physically he's gonna retire one season too late--he's already there in his head and emotions, and I don't care what anyone says--that's GOTTA trickle down to the players. There's no way out of, or around it. Don't get me wrong--I'm not sayin that's the ONLY problem--it's just that I see it as a problem starting from the top down. Add to that the loss of the Bus, all the injuries, add in everything Petesburgh66 said... it's just a heck of a lot to overcome in such a short time.

I know there will be a lot of people who'll say "that's what they get paid for" and I agree--to a point. However, even though they're paid (and paid well) they're still just human with all the frailties that go along with it.

Unless our guys decide to play for pride (if nothing else) and step it up and pull out of it for themselves, I just think we're asking too much of them to want them to win this season. In order to do that, they need to perform at the level they're capable of to pull that off. They"want" to win--of course! They're just not able to do that right now. I certainly know they're not steppin on the field thinkin "Man, I sure hope we lose this game".

It's kind of like a person wanting to lose weight. You can "want" to really bad and say
"I'd sure like to (or I've GOT to) lose 10 or 20 lbs--but until you take the necessary steps and resolve in your mind that you're goin to, it's not happenin. You gotta have that drive to lose. Or in THEIR case, win.

I truly am not expecting even one more win. Realistically, how can I? How can I say for sure we're gonna beat (say for example) the Browns, when we couldn't beat the Raiders?

Better to think we're gonna lose, and end up winning--than to "know" we're gonna win, and end up losing. Not nearly so hard to recover from the first option :smile: And if they win? Not so hard to go from expecting nothing, to being in over-drive! lol

Our guys are playing well enough to stop it from being blow outs against us (I don't consider the 3 FG's in the JAX game a blow out), in fact, we've only lost by 10 points or less in our 5 losses. With all the TOs and fumbles, our opponents SHOULD have won by a lot more than 10 points. If you watched the Vikes/Pats game tonight, you'd have seen what would have been our fate if our guys had "average" talent. So they're bringin just enough to not lose horribly, but not quite enough to win.

I still love our team, still love Big Ben, still love our coach--regardless. And even if Bill's gone next year, Big Ben's still gotta be our starter. I haven't lost faith in him, and it worries me that others seem like they have. We do NOT want to lose such a great guy or drive him away!

After what they did for us last year, maybe we're being unfair to ask so much of them again in such a short time. Maybe we'd be better fans if we let them know it's "ok" to NOT have a winning season this time around? (At least until next year--and then we're ON their butts!! :flap: )

Heck--we're Steelers fans (which means we're tough :helmet: ) we can take all the ribbing from the people around us :thumbsup:

It's all made so much easier with a SB XL ring...:wink02: And we have our guys--with Big Ben at the helm, to thank for that :tt02:

slashsteel
10-31-2006, 02:51 AM

SteelReign isn't falling into the draft talk, so there is "other" boards out there that is hoping for the best.

SteelerMurf
10-31-2006, 07:16 AM
Let's just assume we beat Denver and Cincy beats Baltimore.

We are then 2 games out again with 8 games to play.

One game at a time.

SteelerFanInCA
10-31-2006, 03:15 PM
What also concerns me are the stupid taunting and celebration penalties we keep getting called for. Two of them back to back against the Raiders. That's just unacceptable.

hardwork
10-31-2006, 11:51 PM
ben's health has decided otherwise and that is why we are where we are.

That's what knowledgable people are saying. You can't accurately assess Ben Roethlisberger at this point. The young man is clearly not himself. You add to that the fact that your team played football a month longer then anyone except Seattle last year, and then factor in the Busses departure, and of course things are going to be different.