PDA

View Full Version : What's with that ACCENT?

lex m
10-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Like, I lived in Pittsburgh for a few years. What's with the accent? I know every city has its regional accents, and that's a great part of local color. But I've always been curious-- Is it a put-on? Can a real Pittsburgher NOT speak with an accent? Like, why wouldn't you just say the words correctly?

I remember all the locals saying "Burr" instead of beer. It's beer. Beeeeeer. Rhymes with near. You don't say "Nurr." So why do the locals say BURR? HASSS? It's House. Surely everyone in town knows this.

floodcitygirl
10-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Like, I lived in Pittsburgh for a few years. What's with the accent? I know every city has its regional accents, and that's a great part of local color. But I've always been curious-- Is it a put-on? Can a real Pittsburgher NOT speak with an accent? Like, why wouldn't you just say the words correctly?

I remember all the locals saying "Burr" instead of beer. It's beer. Beeeeeer. Rhymes with near. You don't say "Nurr." So why do the locals say BURR? HASSS? It's House. Surely everyone in town knows this.:troll: :yawn:

stillers4me
10-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Like, are you for real???

PisnNapalm
10-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Yer kiddin n'at right?

MACH1
10-30-2006, 11:33 PM

I remember all the locals saying "Burr" instead of beer. It's beer. Beeeeeer. Rhymes with near. You don't say "Nurr." So why do the locals say BURR? HASSS? It's House. Surely everyone in town knows this.

thats funny.:toofunny:

stillers4me
10-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Like, yinz guys think he's from California n'at?

Seriously, you have a Big Ben avatar so I don't to diss a Steeler fan, but do you really think a whole region of the country is faking an accent????. Hass IS the way we say house in western Pee-ay.

lex m
10-31-2006, 12:59 AM
I didn't say anyone was FAKING it; I lived there for YEARS, however, and never picked up a Pittsburgh accent. I was wondering why people don't just turn it on and off. Like, I get if you're around the fellas or tailgating or whatnot, but I had TEACHERS who had a Pittsburgh accent. ENGLISH TEACHERS. Like, SURELY they should know the proper way to pronounce words.

More what I'm asking is, don't Pittsburghers watch movies and TV shows or TV news, and notice that none of the actors or reporters pronounce the words like they do in The Burgh?

A while back, I showed some friends some of my old Date Night TV tapes, and they couldn't even UNDERSTAND what was being said. It was like a foreign language.

stillers4me
10-31-2006, 06:52 AM
I didn't say anyone was FAKING it; I lived there for YEARS, however, and never picked up a Pittsburgh accent. I was wondering why people don't just turn it on and off. Like, I get if you're around the fellas or tailgating or whatnot, but I had TEACHERS who had a Pittsburgh accent. ENGLISH TEACHERS. Like, SURELY they should know the proper way to pronounce words.

More what I'm asking is, don't Pittsburghers watch movies and TV shows or TV news, and notice that none of the actors or reporters pronounce the words like they do in The Burgh?

A while back, I showed some friends some of my old Date Night TV tapes, and they couldn't even UNDERSTAND what was being said. It was like a foreign language.

Welcome to the 'Burgh.

Actually, I grew up about and hour and a half or so north of Pittsburgh and can attest to the fact that the accent extends up and down the whole of western Pennsylvania.......the thickest being in the city itself.

PisnNapalm
10-31-2006, 07:03 AM
Sadly, I've lived away from Pittsburgh for so long that I've lost alot of my accent. Though a few months ago, someone did ask me if I was from western PA after only a few sentences of conversation. It was a little freaky actually.

tony hipchest
10-31-2006, 12:09 PM
have you never heard a texan drawl or new mexican twang? they have accents down south, in ny, boston, etc. its not just a pittsburgh thing.

83-Steelers-43
10-31-2006, 01:57 PM

Like, it's like.....well, it's like, like, like, well.......it's like.....like......like, well.....like.......one time...at band camp.......

wiqidjuggalo
10-31-2006, 02:15 PM
Like, it's like.....well, it's like, like, like, well.......it's like.....like......like, well.....like.......one time...at band camp.......

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:toofunny: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/sabaa/smileys/naughtypeople.gif

Stillers#1
10-31-2006, 02:46 PM
My accent only comes out when I'm drunk. If I am aroundd other yinzer's (which there are quite few of up here) it gets thick. Then we start talking about going to pants'n'at.

floodcitygirl
10-31-2006, 03:43 PM
I LOVE that Western PA accent. I've pretty much lost mine now, but just let me get around it a little bit and it's amazing how quickly it comes back. The only thing I think of when I hear it, is how homesick I am. :crying01:

SteelCityMan786
10-31-2006, 04:09 PM
I LOVE that Western PA accent. I've pretty much lost mine now, but just let me get around it a little bit and it's amazing how quickly it comes back. The only thing I think of when I hear it, is how homesick I am. :crying01:

One of things that make me proud to be a current western pa resident!

blackvelvet
11-02-2006, 04:51 PM
I didn't know i had one, until my New Yorker friend pointed out to me. Heck, i didn't know until two years ago redd up was a pitsburgh phrase!

skidboot
11-04-2006, 01:02 PM
I'm from Canada eh and people think I have an accent eh.

I don't see it though eh.

Now take off eh. Time to watch the Hockey Game eh.

SteelCzar76
11-09-2006, 02:56 AM

:sofunny: :sofunny:

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Jeremy
11-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Ever been to Long Island or Montgomery?

I still have my accent, although it's usually only people from back home who pick up on it.

Funny story though, we were watching some show on TLC last night and they were profiling a murder case from Western Pa. They interviewed the man accused of murder. After it was over my wife, who grew up in Northern California, turns to me and says talk about your thick Western Pa accents.

I just looked at her and asked what she was talking about. I didn't notice an accent at all.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-09-2006, 09:51 AM

When Im drunk...I get a combination Austrian/Jamaican accent...and wake up in lederhosen and a knit hat. I am considering quitting all together.

skidboot
11-09-2006, 10:03 AM
When Im drunk...I get a combination Austrian/Jamaican accent...and wake up in lederhosen and a knit hat. I am considering quitting all together.

Wuss!

:smile:

melroseplace
11-09-2006, 10:20 AM
I grew up an hour out of the city and Pittsburghese isn't quite as bad there...altho like someone else mentioned, I never knew until somewhat recently that "redd up" is from this area.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Wuss!

:smile:

Good point..mama didnt raise no quitter!!!!...crank up the accordian ..its time for some Reggae Polka!!!