PDA

View Full Version : Cowher Testy at Press Conference

83-Steelers-43
10-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Nothing new when things are going bad......

Cowher testy at Press Conference

*Having been criticized by the local media for having a passive attitude during the Steelers' 2 - 5 start, however today at his weekly press conference, the Cowher of old returned as he snapped at times, was testy and short as he responded to questions from the media.

*Cowher opened his press conference by saying "This 2 - 5 start is obviously a disappointment and I accept full responsibility for the start and it all starts with me." He used the phrase 4 times during the press conference, "It starts with me".

*Bob Smizik of the PG set the tone and visibly angered Cowher with his first question. Smizik asked Cowher if his uncertain coaching future in Pittsburgh has been a distraction to him and his players and if it has contributed to the Steelers 2 - 5 record. Cowher snapped back angrily "NO" and stared down Smizik for 10 seconds.

*Cowher said it was hard to answer and it would be pure speculation if Ben Roethlisberger's health problems are contributing to his poor play of late. We find it interesting that Cowher did not totally dismiss that question.

*When asked whether he contemplated pulling Roethlisberger in Sunday's game, Cowher strongly said a short "NO".

*When asked by Gerry Dulac about the rotating Right Guard situation with Kendall Simmons & Cris Kemoeatu, Cowher cut Dulac off repeatedly responding yelling each time "Its week to week".

* Cowher went on to say that this weeks practice will decide who will be the back-up running back (Duce Staley -or- Najeh Davenport).

*Ranking near the bottom of every special teams statistical category, Cowher stated that it has been one of the biggest disappointments of the season thus far. That is not good news for Special Teams Coach Kevin Spencer.

http://blackandgoldinsider.com/display/ShowJournal?moduleId=737698&categoryId=68226

MJ5150
10-31-2006, 12:55 PM
Thank you for the link. I've been wondering about Cowher for a few weeks now.

-Mike

tony hipchest
10-31-2006, 12:56 PM
*Ranking near the bottom of every special teams statistical category, Cowher stated that it has been one of the biggest disappointments of the season thus far. That is not good news for Special Teams Coach Kevin Spencer.

why does b. april come to mind? wasnt it him who was promptly fired after the 2001 afc champ game, meltdown or am i thinking of r. zook?

stlrtruck
10-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Maybe his attitude will carry through the rest of this week and into Sunday! Now wouldn't that be a different sight and definitely one for sore eyes!

Atlanta Dan
10-31-2006, 01:04 PM
why does b. april come to mind? wasnt it him who was promptly fired after the 2001 afc champ game, meltdown or am i thinking of r. zook?

April quit and took another special teams coaching job in the mid-1990s because he could not stand working with Cowher. During the mid-1990s Cowher had a rep of being very difficuly t to work for, with Labeau being another coach that made a lateral move to get out.

tony hipchest
10-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Maybe his attitude will carry through the rest of this week and into Sunday! Now wouldn't that be a different sight and definitely one for sore eyes!too little too late. the jax, cinci, and sd games shouldve all been treated as must win games with a sense of urgency. or didnt the coaches and players learn anything with how close we came to missing the playoffs last season?

wiqidjuggalo
10-31-2006, 01:05 PM
I am deffinately looking forward to seeing the "Old Bill" on the sidelines cussing and spitting every time an official screws up on a call or a player misses his route... that would be a blessing in disguise...

MACH1
10-31-2006, 01:08 PM
I am deffinately looking forward to seeing the "Old Bill" on the sidelines cussing and spitting every time an official screws up on a call or a player misses his route... that would be a blessing in disguise...

I think thats what this team needs, a coach thats fired up and ready to rip someones a** when they screw up.

Atlanta Dan
10-31-2006, 01:11 PM
I posted on Sunday that someone should ask Cowher if his gamesmanship with being HC next year was a distraction- Cheers to Smizik for asking whether his status has contributed to the derailment of the season.

As Mark Maske in the Washington Post wrote today:

I would agree that they're now the most disappointing team. Losing to the Raiders was just sad. Ben Roethlisberger certainly isn't the only problem. But he's a big part of the problem and I guess that's understandable given what he went through. It certainly sounded at the beginning of the season like Cowher planned to leave after this season, and now maybe the Steelers won't try quite as hard to talk him out of it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2006/10/26/DI2006102600943.html

Hopefully today's press conference is on video or at least audio; sounds like it went about as well as Bush dealing with the White House press corps

Cape Cod Steel Head
10-31-2006, 01:22 PM
He is the coach ,and should take the blame. His passive attitude, horrible special teams play , and his decision to play Ben, especially this past Sun. Spencer should have been fired long ago. Lets hope he remains "testy" and lights a fire under this teams ass.

SteelBelieve1
10-31-2006, 01:25 PM
It is about time this side came out of him. His chin and spit has been missing from the games of late. His coaching styles has seemed to be lax and so has the Steelers play. He needs to fire each and everyone of these guys up because anything less then an 8-1 record in the last 9 games means we're not going to the post season.

83-Steelers-43
10-31-2006, 01:30 PM
Instead of voicing his displeasure towards the media's questions (it's their job, you don't mind it when your winning do you?), hopefully he starts spreading that anger towards his team. Cowher has always been like this towards the media. This is by no means the first time he's acted like this towards the media during a PC.

He doesn't like answering the tough questions (when they are actually asked). I remember Ed Bouchette being in Cowher's dog house for a while for that very reason. I almost fell out of my chair when I heard Smizik ask the question. Out of all people, Smizik!!! Now if he could learn how to ask McClatchy and Littlefield the tough questions.

Anyways, It's part of the job. Throw your anger towards the ones committing the dumb penalties and turnovers, not at the people who are simply doing their jobs.

Cape Cod Steel Head
10-31-2006, 01:37 PM
If this is how he would coach the last year of his contract I for one don't want him around.

Atlanta Dan
10-31-2006, 01:49 PM
If this is how he would coach the last year of his contract I for one don't want him around.

Agreed - Ben getting injured was a tough break, but this is a coach who adjusted to pulling Jim Miller as his starter in the first game of the 1996 season and took a team with Mike Tomczak as QB to the playoffs.

I note that only because Cowher is making a lot of bad decisions (Ben/Batch, Coclough on returns, Bettis replacement) that arguably indicate his head & heart are not in it. If he is upset that he is being called out for one of his worst seasons as a coach, too bad.

I would cut him more slack if I thought he shared his mid-life crisis career plans with the Rooneys and they asked him to come back for 2006, but I do not believe that is the case; I believe he is keeping the entire team in the dark on this.

To paraphrase Chuck Noll, if you think it is time to retire it already is time. After this season it is not going to be as hard to say good-bye to Cowher, even though it will be very tough to get someone that can coach at his level when he is on his game.

Atlanta Dan
10-31-2006, 01:51 PM
It is about time this side came out of him. His chin and spit has been missing from the games of late. His coaching styles has seemed to be lax and so has the Steelers play. He needs to fire each and everyone of these guys up because anything less then an 8-1 record in the last 9 games means we're not going to the post season.

10-6 probably will not make the playoffs.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-31-2006, 03:34 PM
Instead of voicing his displeasure towards the media's questions (it's their job, you don't mind it when your winning do you?), hopefully he starts spreading that anger towards his team. Cowher has always been like this towards the media. This is by no means the first time he's acted like this towards the media during a PC.

He doesn't like answering the tough questions (when they are actually asked). I remember Ed Bouchette being in Cowher's dog house for a while for that very reason. I almost fell out of my chair when I heard Smizik ask the question. Out of all people, Smizik!!! Now if he could learn how to ask McClatchy and Littlefield the tough questions.

Anyways, It's part of the job. Throw your anger towards the ones committing the dumb penalties and turnovers, not at the people who are simply doing their jobs.

Hey 83 remember Thor and how he use to piss Cowher off during his press conferences?. I swear every week Cowher would get pissed at Thor.

SteelersGirlTN7
10-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Maybe his attitude will carry through the rest of this week and into Sunday! Now wouldn't that be a different sight and definitely one for sore eyes!

Wont it!!! For sure!!! I kept wondering why Cowher was just standing on the sidelines .. with the passive look mentioned in the PC ...

WHERE was the jutting jaw, THE CHIN, the spit flying everywhere LOL

Havent seen that in a while .. and the way this season is going, you'd think the opposite!

Steel_Bus_24
10-31-2006, 11:20 PM
anyone know where we can watch it??? I love it when Cowher gets angry

clarient
10-31-2006, 11:25 PM
Man, I miss that Cowher of olde. (E is added for emphasis :D) I second SteelBus24, I would love to watch him stare down a reporter for ten seconds.

THAT was the Bill Cowher I welcomed into my black and gold heart... just thinking about all his chinnin' & spittin' during games make me giggle.

MattsMe
11-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Here's the video. It's not much of a staredown, it almost looked like he was laughing about it, kind of like he knows something about the situation that the reporter doesn't. Maybe that something is that the players already know whether he's coming back or not.

http://kdka.com/video/?id=21504@kdka.dayport.com

83-Steelers-43
11-01-2006, 05:16 AM
It was funny how he cut off Dulac before he even had a chance to spit out his question and all Dulac was trying to do was rephrase his question differently. Never had the chance. Watching the full PC during the afternoon and then during Sports Beat yesterday, it was pretty tense. Reporters and beat writers were walking on eggshells.

Livinginthe past
11-01-2006, 08:33 AM
I have a question.

Why does it matter to the 2006 players if Cowher is going to be the Pittsburgh HC next year?

I could understand if there was a load of speculation in the offseason this year whether he would still be around when the regular season starts - that would be unsettling for a group of players to not know for sure who was leading this team.

But the very nature of NFL, with its salary cap, means that some of these players wont be here next year anyway - whether it be older players being released or high quality FA's leaving for the big bucks.

Having thought about it, I cannot see how a player could be anything less than 100% committed to this year regardless of the coaching set up for the 2007 season.

NM

Ambridge
11-01-2006, 05:15 PM
I have a question.

Why does it matter to the 2006 players if Cowher is going to be the Pittsburgh HC next year?

I could understand if there was a load of speculation in the offseason this year whether he would still be around when the regular season starts - that would be unsettling for a group of players to not know for sure who was leading this team.

But the very nature of NFL, with its salary cap, means that some of these players wont be here next year anyway - whether it be older players being released or high quality FA's leaving for the big bucks.

Having thought about it, I cannot see how a player could be anything less than 100% committed to this year regardless of the coaching set up for the 2007 season.

NM

It's not who the actual future head coach might be..........it's the issue of Cowher and NOW.
Bill Cowher is the longest tenured HC in the league and there is a core of vets that has heard his message(what he believes and instills in his players, how he motivates players through what he says and does, his football philosophies...etc..etc)season after season and have bought into it.
With the speculation that he may or may not return after this season all of a sudden the "Bill Cowher message" just might be falling on deaf ears.
In other words if you're not going to be here next year why should I listen to you and buy into what you're selling.

It sort of slowly eats away at a team both rookies and veterans alike.

Ambridge
11-01-2006, 05:21 PM
It was funny how he cut off Dulac before he even had a chance to spit out his question and all Dulac was trying to do was rephrase his question differently. Never had the chance. Watching the full PC during the afternoon and then during Sports Beat yesterday, it was pretty tense. Reporters and beat writers were walking on eggshells.

Bill might not like some of the questions he's getting now but if things keep going south I would expect the Lame Duck Season to be declared "Open" and he will be getting an increase of questions he wont like to answer regardless of how pissy he wants to get.

Atlanta Dan
11-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Having seen the KDKA video when Smizik asked about Cowher's status being a distraction, I did not see the famous Cowher chin/glare directed at Smizik; instead it looked like a smile that bordered on being a smirk.

Cowher may have reached some epiphany/inner peace after winning the SB or have some other developments going on that are frankly none of my business, but it comes across to me as the body language of someone who does not believe his job is quite the matter of life and death it used to appear to be to him.

In a lot of ways that is a better approach to life, but if your coaching style has been one of barely controlled fury such a change in perspective has to impact your coaching in a way that does not appear to have been positive.

Livinginthe past
11-02-2006, 01:12 AM
It's not who the actual future head coach might be..........it's the issue of Cowher and NOW.
Bill Cowher is the longest tenured HC in the league and there is a core of vets that has heard his message(what he believes and instills in his players, how he motivates players through what he says and does, his football philosophies...etc..etc)season after season and have bought into it.
With the speculation that he may or may not return after this season all of a sudden the "Bill Cowher message" just might be falling on deaf ears.
In other words if you're not going to be here next year why should I listen to you and buy into what you're selling.

It sort of slowly eats away at a team both rookies and veterans alike.

I see what you are getting at.

But i'd like to think the players on my team would be motivated enough just by the thought of making it to the big game and winning another (or first) ring.

What im looking for in a HC is someone who can focus the already-motivated player in a way that best benefits the team.

Personally, I really can't think why Cowher should have to sell a SB appearance to any of his players - regardless of his employment situation next year.

NM

Preacher
11-02-2006, 01:39 AM
I was excited when I first read the PC reports. But, after seeing the video, it is seems much ado about nothing.

I can't beleive I am saying this... but if we don't see him flying around the sideline, jaw jutting out and spit flying... then I want him FIRED at the end of the season. Not retired.

I am sorry, I have LOVED this man as coach... even during the down years. But this is SO different. He is not the same person, and the team has lost the hunger.

stlrtruck
11-02-2006, 07:26 AM
The players shouldn't be motivated by the HC. They should be motivated for their own gain - Back 2 Back Super Bowls and history! But I guess in a business that green backs are more important than Back 2 Backs, those things no longer matter!