PDA

View Full Version : COWHER COMES BACK IN 07 !

NV STEELERS 723
10-31-2006, 07:05 PM
After reading Cowher's comments today, I know he will not go out like this... I REALLY think he signs another contract with us....I just have a gut feeling!:yep:

stillers4me
10-31-2006, 07:08 PM
I hope so.....I'm not ready to give up "the Cowher years."

Atlanta Dan
10-31-2006, 07:11 PM
I listened to the audio of the press conference and heard Cowher say he was accountable for what has happened this season (you think?!) but nothing to make me believe he is not gone.

I did hear comments that lead me to think Cowher now realizes he underestimated the impact of Ben's physical problems on his performance this year - the party line now apparently is this is a testing time for Ben that will strengthen him in the long run. Glad to see the season has become a lab experiment to test how Ben repsonds to adversity.

Steelersfan4life0655
10-31-2006, 07:21 PM
well all i can say is, that if this could be the case, he needs to show his chin a little more this year. i just dont see it like in the past. there are times that it seems that he just doesnt seem like he wants to be there. but i am probably wrong and hope that he signs another contract. :tt02:

stillers4me
10-31-2006, 07:22 PM
I listened to the audio of the press conference and heard Cowher say he was accountable for what has happened this season (you think?!) but nothing to make me believe he is not gone.

I did hear comments that lead me to think Cowher now realizes he underestimated the impact of Ben's physical problems on his performance this year - the party line now apparently is this is a testing time for Ben that will strengthen him in the long run. Glad to see the season has become a lab experiment to test how Ben repsonds to adversity.

I guess you do what ya gotta do sometimes.

I just have a feeling in my gut that sometime in the next two years, our Steelers will make amends with their loyal fans. The faithful will be rewarded with another championship and this year will just be a horrible memory. Have faith, my children.

SteelCityMan786
10-31-2006, 07:39 PM

I just have a feeling in my gut that sometime in the next two years, our Steelers will make amends with their loyal fans. The faithful will be rewarded with another championship and this year will just be a horrible memory. Have faith, my children.

I have faith, and faith, I shall Keep.

MJ5150
10-31-2006, 07:53 PM
I've been listening to the audio of the PC for the past hour and a half. Cowher cares about this team. He isn't coaching like he is ready to leave.

-Mike

jaysta
10-31-2006, 07:56 PM

Hopefully Ben can respond and come out of this stronger than ever. He's young so that is definitely going to help.

NV STEELERS 723
10-31-2006, 07:59 PM
Atlanta Dan, what you heard today is what I did...Cowher eating crow and taking the blame......and thats why I just don't think he'll leave this time...he can coach for many more years.....I can't see him as a Carolina Panther... he bleeds black and gold!

I'm not calling for Ben to be benched, but I am concerned for his health as a person...

Infamix
10-31-2006, 08:57 PM
Cowher's too stubborn, the chin won't leave without at least a winning record.

OneForTheToe
10-31-2006, 11:25 PM
Cowher's too stubborn, the chin won't leave without at least a winning record.

I do agree with that Cowher will not want to leave on a down note. However. he is not likely to want to coach as a bachelor either. :tt02:

SteelersWoman
11-01-2006, 02:30 AM
I love Cowher as our coach, (can't even imagine it bein anyone else!) and I'd love to see it work out that he could be with us for another 30 years--just as long as it's "The Chin" coaching, and not the shell he's been this year.

Infamix
11-01-2006, 08:38 AM
I do agree with that Cowher will not want to leave on a down note. However. he is not likely to want to coach as a bachelor either. :tt02:

God damn right. I dislike such dominating wives. Troy a victim, now Cowher.

stlrtruck
11-01-2006, 08:43 AM
I've been listening to the audio of the PC for the past hour and a half. Cowher cares about this team. He isn't coaching like he is ready to leave.

-Mike

I think he's talking like he's a coach not ready to leave but his chin-less, emotion-less sideline actions are speaking a lot louder than the words he spoke at the PC.

herewegosteelers
11-01-2006, 07:01 PM

I have faith!!! :tt02:

Blitzburgh
11-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Ain't gonna happen .... this dog no longer wants to hunt.

Cowher is already thinking about the good life .... new house, chas'in the wifey around in her french maid outfit, new game room complete with state of the art entertainment system, bloody mary's every morning for breakfast .... kids are on their own.

yes sir ree .... He's checked out.

Atlanta Dan
11-01-2006, 07:31 PM

Cowher is already thinking about the good life .... new house, chas'in the wifey around in her french maid outfit, new game room complete with state of the art entertainment system, bloody mary's every morning for breakfast .... kids are on their own.

I agree - for the next couple of years going to "work" for Cowher is going to mean flying to Bristol or New York on Saturday evening to do some Sunday work on a studio pre-game//halftime show and then unwinding with a few coc*tails on a Sunday night flight back to RDU.

NV STEELERS 723
11-01-2006, 07:38 PM
I'll guess we'll see !

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-02-2006, 06:06 PM

-MikeAre you kidding me! I'm sure he cares about this team, but as far as his coaching this year:banging:

MJ5150
11-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Are you kidding me!

No, I am not kidding. I don't think he is coaching in a way that shows he is not concerned about next year. Why would he do that? Any potential team he would go to can see the games like we can. If he is stinking it up, it will affect his contract.

-Mike

Steel Pit
11-03-2006, 03:32 AM

Agreed and aGREED, I believe that this is definitely Cowher's last season with the Steelers
and I'm not overly concerned with it. It had to happen sometime and when you look at the Rooney's track record as it relates to hiring a head coach I say this, INTRODUCING, THE SOON TO BE BEST HEAD COACH IN THE NFL, ____________ ______________?

I can't wait to see who it's going to be, :chicken: :banana: :cheer: :jammin: :tt02:

Big D
11-03-2006, 08:56 AM
I dont think he will be back next year. Just the fact he bought a house in north carolina just shows he wont be back. I bet if he could do it all over he would have left with the bus

polamalufan43
11-03-2006, 09:30 AM
I don't know, it's really a 40/60 mixed bag with me. I mean, he bought the house, he's won a superbowl, he could be having a future HOF,
But then, it doesn't seem like him to just leave when he's been here so long.
Then again, remember that whole Wisenhunt becoming head coach of another team thing? The day that the team was going to choose, Wisenhunt withdrew his name? Could Cowher have said "Just wait one more season" to him?

Personally, I don't think he will leave. But, I think he'll only coach for a few more years.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Big D
11-03-2006, 09:32 AM
I don't know, it's really a 40/60 mixed bag with me. I mean, he bought the house, he's won a superbowl, he could be having a future HOF,
But then, it doesn't seem like him to just leave when he's been here so long.
Then again, remember that whole Wisenhunt becoming head coach of another team thing? The day that the team was going to choose, Wisenhunt withdrew his name? Could Cowher have said "Just wait one more season" to him?

Personally, I don't think he will leave. But, I think he'll only coach for a few more years.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

yeah i'm sure he said... Hey ken do you really want to coach a team where you cant choose your coaching staff have zero influence over player personal and dont forget the owner is the biggest cancer on the team.

Atlanta Dan
11-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Unless his marriage is over Cowher is gone; as I have discussed previously, it appears he planned to leave after 2005 but for whatever reason (hope to repeat/Steelers not able to conduct sifting search for HC after SB due to many candidates having been hired elsewhere) came back for 1 more year, a decision that has bombed.

I have heard Whiz actually accepted the Oakland job then withdrew after additional limitations were put in (could not hire own assistants) after he accepted. I do not belive he was promised the Steelers HC job if he stayed.

I of course assume Whiz would want the Steelers job. If he does take the job I assume he would want Labeau to stay. With the performance of the OL this season I do not think Grimm's prospects have improved.

But after this season and in consideration of the less than stellar track record of promoting assistants from within to HC (the one exception that I recall working was the 49ers transition to Seifert but that team was loaded and Debartolo was buying up talent in a pre-cap era) I hope the Steelers take a hard look at outside candidates. Given that his name is on it, I also believe Rooney will need to pay more than a little attention to the Rooney Rule.

Big D
11-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Unless his marriage is over Cowher is gone; as I have discussed previously, it appears he planned to leave after 2005 but for whatever reason (hope to repeat/Steelers not able to conduct sifting search for HC after SB due to many candidates having been hired elsewhere) came back for 1 more year, a decision that has bombed.

I have heard Whiz actually accepted the Oakland job then withdrew after additional limitations were put in (could not hire own assistants) after he accepted. I do not belive he was promised the Steelers HC job if he stayed.

I of course assume Whiz would want the Steelers job. If he does take the job I assume he would want Labeau to stay. With the performance of the OL this season I do not think Grimm's prospects have improved.

But after this season and in consideration of the less than stellar track record of promoting assistants from within to HC (the one exception that I recall working was the 49ers transition to Seifert but that team was loaded and Debartolo was buying up talent in a pre-cap era) I hope the Steelers take a hard look at outside candidates. Given that his name is on it, I also believe Rooney will need to pay more than a little attention to the Rooney Rule.

I couldnt agree with you more atlanta dan. I think that if the rooneys would hire a white coach there would be alot of backlash and the word hipocrit would defitnetly come out. I think there are two canidates that will get consideration. One is ron rivera and the other is mike tomlin

stlrtruck
11-03-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm all for the hiring of minority coaches but should it be just because they're a minority? It's got to be what's best for the organization, players, and the fans. I mean is it worth hiring a black coach only to turn around 5 years from now and fire him, because he's not getting the job done and he truly wasn't the best candidate for the job?
A coach should be hired because he/she is the best candidate...PERIOD! Not because of their skin color!
It's ridiculous and for the amount of money that is paid into the system by fans, it's ridiculous to think that a coach can win games just because he's a minority! If that's the case, why don't they start hiring female coaches?

Atlanta Dan
11-03-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm all for the hiring of minority coaches but should it be just because they're a minority? It's got to be what's best for the organization, players, and the fans. I mean is it worth hiring a black coach only to turn around 5 years from now and fire him, because he's not getting the job done and he truly wasn't the best candidate for the job?
A coach should be hired because he/she is the best candidate...PERIOD! Not because of their skin color!
It's ridiculous and for the amount of money that is paid into the system by fans, it's ridiculous to think that a coach can win games just because he's a minority! If that's the case, why don't they start hiring female coaches?

I doubt many would disagree with your contention that hiring should be on merit. However, minority assistants such as Marvin Lewis (after his performance as coordinator for the 2000 Ravens) and Romeo Crennell not getting hired as a HC for years while (for example) a mediocrity such as Jim Haslett got the Saints HC job after a less stellar performance as Steelers D coordinator and the child D coordinaor of the Pats for 1 year immediately gets a HC job after the Pats do not tear up the world on D in 2005 arguably indicates soemthing other than merit was driving some hiring decisions. However, as far as your rhetorical inquiry as to why there is not a push for women HCs, I do not believe there is a contention that the % of female players in the NFL presumably should result in their greater representation in the ranks of coaches and GMs.

The point Big D and I are making is that, regardless of its wisdom, the policy encouraging HC diversity has the name of the Steelers owner on it. A snap promotion of Whiz would appear to be contrary to the letter and spirit of the Rooney Rule and hiring any successor to Cowher is going to need to take that into account.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-03-2006, 12:51 PM

Its like I said in another thread...I have faith in the Steelers, because even if this year ends up being their worst...They will be back and I dont have to worry about a 15 year slide into obscurity...*cough* bengals *cough*

stlrtruck
11-03-2006, 01:30 PM
I doubt many would disagree with your contention that hiring should be on merit. However, minority assistants such as Marvin Lewis (after his performance as coordinator for the 2000 Ravens) and Romeo Crennell not getting hired as a HC for years while (for example) a mediocrity such as Jim Haslett got the Saints HC job after a less stellar performance as Steelers D coordinator and the child D coordinaor of the Pats for 1 year immediately gets a HC job after the Pats do not tear up the world on D in 2005 arguably indicates soemthing other than merit was driving some hiring decisions. However, as far as your rhetorical inquiry as to why there is not a push for women HCs, I do not believe there is a contention that the % of female players in the NFL presumably should result in their greater representation in the ranks of coaches and GMs.

The point Big D and I are making is that, regardless of its wisdom, the policy encouraging HC diversity has the name of the Steelers owner on it. A snap promotion of Whiz would appear to be contrary to the letter and spirit of the Rooney Rule and hiring any successor to Cowher is going to need to take that into account.

First, you're comments about other coaches getting the nod without consideration for others, just made me laugh, not that I found them funny but more in the sense that I don't understand that mentality either. Some coaches are just better off being assistants while others are meant for greater things.

I understand what you saying about Rooney's encouragement about diversity. I definitely think he should consider minorities but I don't think that the outside public should automatically condemn to a life in hell if he doesn't hire a minority. I believe there are some outside groups and even internal owners (and maybe Rooney is one of them) that think minority coaches should hired based on the association to said minority group! That's another thing that gets my goat - but that's for another thread!

Big D
11-03-2006, 06:02 PM

exactly. To give another one of my great analogys. For rooney to not hire a ethnic coach would be like a congress man to publicy support gay marriages but then we he goes to place his personal vote to vote against gay marriage