PDA

View Full Version : TWO PLAYERS SIGNED!!!!!!!!!!

pittsburgh$teelersfan
10-31-2006, 07:11 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/71041/

Dynasty
10-31-2006, 07:32 PM
Kuhn! Huzzah! The sason is fixed! Our running back problems are over, so are our QB, LB, qnd even DT i njury problems! Kuhn is like some type of awesome guy!

SteelCityMan786
10-31-2006, 07:36 PM
Welcome back to Pittsburgh John!

kyflash15
10-31-2006, 07:40 PM
Anyone think he will get any playing time?

pittsburgh$teelersfan
10-31-2006, 07:42 PM
I think it depends on how he does at practice cooper will maybe on st.He is a fast linebacker though.

jaysta
10-31-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm sure the Steelers feel at this point what's it going to hurt to get some depth and work some new guys in there. Kuhn certainly would have cost alot less money than Davenport and look at what a gem he's turned out to be so far. I hope they have a huge winning streak and make another spectacular run into the playoffs, but they're smart to keep looking at depth and future possibilities too. This was something that was majorly overlooked this preseason and is now really starting to catch up to them. Laugh if you want, but I asked the question back then about what if Ben can't play to his full potential and what happens without a big strong back like Bettis. All that started was a firestorm because everyone else knew that Ben would be great and our goal line running game would be stellar with Parker. Hmmmm? Now what?

Prosdo
10-31-2006, 08:45 PM
I really like John Kuhn. He runs hard and with power. Hopefully he can help out.

Infamix
10-31-2006, 08:49 PM
I'd much rather have Duce in the backfield than Kuhn, but good signing anyway

jaysta
10-31-2006, 08:53 PM
I'd much rather have Duce in the backfield than Kuhn, but good signing anyway

About two years ago I definitely agree with you. Unfortunately Duce hasn't really played to his potential. In his day though, he was a monster! :borg:

Infamix
10-31-2006, 08:55 PM
About two years ago I definitely agree with you. Unfortunately Duce hasn't really played to his potential. In his day though, he was a monster! :borg:

Maybe, but I would just have more faith in Duce since he knows the system well. He's stepped up for us big time in big games. I'm sure not all the gas in the tank is gone, he will come out fired and play with a twinkie on his shoulder.:sofunny:

Tankus_Maximus
10-31-2006, 09:34 PM
I seem to remember Duce always running hard, and trying to make something out of nothing.

Seems the O-line as of late isn't gettin too many holes open up the middle. I LOVE Faneca & Kemoeatu, but they've gotta get some more pancakes in there. There's only so many times you can hope to hit the corner on a sweep or a screen.

MattsMe
10-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Looks like Duce will play. One question remains unanswered though. Can Kuhn model sweatpants? Someone will need to fill Duce's old role.

83-Steelers-43
11-01-2006, 05:04 AM
Looks like Duce will play. One question remains unanswered though. Can Kuhn model sweatpants? Someone will need to fill Duce's old role.

Duce's veteran leadership will help Kuhn out in the sweatpants department.

83-Steelers-43
11-01-2006, 05:32 AM
Marquis Cooper Prospect Profile:

Marquis Cooper
Position: Inside Linebacker/Strong Safety
College:Washington
Height: 6-2
Weight: 213
Hometown: Gilbert, Ariz.

Analysis | Agility | High School | Personal

OVERVIEW

Pound-for-pound, possibly the hardest hitter in the Pac-10 Conference … Special-teams standout as a freshman who was a valuable part of the linebacker unit as its key reserve in his sophomore campaign … Started at inside linebacker the past two seasons, leading the team in tackles both of those years … Started 23 of 46 games during his career, recording 230 tackles (149 solos) with seven sacks for minus-52 yards, 21? stops for losses of 94 yards, three fumble recoveries, returning one for a touchdown, three forced fumbles, seven pass deflections, three interceptions -- including one he returned for a score -- and also blocked a punt.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a lean, well-proportioned body with good muscle definition (rangy type, built more like a strong safety) … Has a nose for the ball, taking a quick initial step with intents on attacking the pigskin … Plays at a low pad level, showing top-end speed to burst into the backfield (seldom gets blocked) … Bounces back quickly on the rare occasion he is leveled … Knows how to use his lateral agility to avoid blocks and keeps his hands extended to prevent from getting cut … Plays very strong for a player his size and makes the blockers constantly work in feeble attempts to contain him, especially when exploding off the edge … Fast and explosive runner with great range, taking proper angles to sift through the piles and has the burst to close and make plays in the backfield … Physical tackler who hits with leverage, wraps securely, will face up to the much larger blockers with no hesitation and explodes into ball carriers, bringing his hips to drive the opponent back … Will mirror the tight ends and backs coming out for the pass in the short area and does a nice job of maintaining eye contact on the receivers in the deep zone … Has a fluid backpedal, especially for a linebacker, showing quick feet, flexible hips and fluid moves with good range to cover … Keeps his head on a swivel and charges hard to prevent the underneath pass … Athletic enough to slip through blocks and avoid the trash when stunting and blitzing … His ability to strike with leverage allows him to get to the running back behind the line and also pressure the quarterback … Very similar to Adam Archuleta (Rams) and Coy Wire (Bills) — former Pac-10 linebackers who made the successful switch to strong safety at the pro level … Uses his hands very well to jam and neutralize receivers at the line, and is also equally adept at getting under the receiver's jersey to knock his opponent off the route.

Negatives: Plays much bigger than his size dictates, but his lack of bulk will be an issue at his position in the pros … Has just a little more room on his frame to bulk up, but has struggled to maintain his weight in the past … Will get fooled on misdirection at times … While many compare him to Archuleta, he does not have the same ease-of-movement agility (more like the Chargers' Donnie Edwards — undersized, yet very athletic) … Quiet by nature and well-liked by coaches and teammates, but did have a few minor off-field issues (shoplifting and reckless driving) … Has adequate hands, but tends to let the ball absorb into his body rather than reaching and plucking it.

AGILITY TESTS

4.6 in the 40-yard dash … 360-pound bench press … 32 3/8-inch arm length … 9?-inch hands … Right-handed.

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended Highland (Gilbert, Ariz.) High, playing football for coach Mike Reardon … Recorded 48 tackles (23 solos), five tackles for loss, five interceptions, and four forced fumbles in 1999, earning all-state honors at defensive back … All-Fiesta Region Conference first-team selection at defensive back in 1999 … Named his conference's defensive player of the year and was a Prep Star All-Western Region selection at linebacker as a junior … Regional defensive player of the year at free safety as a sophomore … Member of Prep Football Report's All-West team … Also competed for Highland's track and basketball teams … Set a school record in the 400 meters (49.99), and has a personal best of 21.3 seconds in the 200 meters … Named his school's defensive player of the year in basketball.

PERSONAL

Sociology major … Son of Bruce and Donna Cooper … Father is a sportscaster at KPNX in Phoenix, Ariz. …' Born March 11, 1982 in Mesa, Ariz. … Resides in Gilbert, Ariz.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/marquis_cooper

rowedf
11-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Maybe, but I would just have more faith in Duce since he knows the system well. He's stepped up for us big time in big games. I'm sure not all the gas in the tank is gone, he will come out fired and play with a twinkie on his shoulder.:sofunny:

Agree!!

You can't underestimate experience. I like Kuhn a lot, but Deuce is the established pro, I'd rather see him get more PT.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-01-2006, 10:56 AM

Marquis Cooper
… Quiet by nature and well-liked by coaches and teammates, but did have a few minor off-field issues (shoplifting and reckless driving)

With the off field issues I was wondering how the Bengals missed him in the draft...(But then I see that both his charges didnt meet the felony Bengal reguirement)

Hines0wnz
11-01-2006, 04:19 PM
All that started was a firestorm because everyone else knew that Ben would be great and our goal line running game would be stellar with Parker. Hmmmm? Now what?

They have to stop turning the ball over before there can be any goal line running controversy.

sumo
11-01-2006, 04:31 PM

Marquis Cooper
Position: Inside Linebacker/Strong Safety
College:Washington
Height: 6-2
Weight: 213
Hometown: Gilbert, Ariz.

Analysis | Agility | High School | Personal

OVERVIEW

Pound-for-pound, possibly the hardest hitter in the Pac-10 Conference ? Special-teams standout as a freshman who was a valuable part of the linebacker unit as its key reserve in his sophomore campaign ? Started at inside linebacker the past two seasons, leading the team in tackles both of those years ? Started 23 of 46 games during his career, recording 230 tackles (149 solos) with seven sacks for minus-52 yards, 21? stops for losses of 94 yards, three fumble recoveries, returning one for a touchdown, three forced fumbles, seven pass deflections, three interceptions -- including one he returned for a score -- and also blocked a punt.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a lean, well-proportioned body with good muscle definition (rangy type, built more like a strong safety) ? Has a nose for the ball, taking a quick initial step with intents on attacking the pigskin ? Plays at a low pad level, showing top-end speed to burst into the backfield (seldom gets blocked) ? Bounces back quickly on the rare occasion he is leveled ? Knows how to use his lateral agility to avoid blocks and keeps his hands extended to prevent from getting cut ? Plays very strong for a player his size and makes the blockers constantly work in feeble attempts to contain him, especially when exploding off the edge ? Fast and explosive runner with great range, taking proper angles to sift through the piles and has the burst to close and make plays in the backfield ? Physical tackler who hits with leverage, wraps securely, will face up to the much larger blockers with no hesitation and explodes into ball carriers, bringing his hips to drive the opponent back ? Will mirror the tight ends and backs coming out for the pass in the short area and does a nice job of maintaining eye contact on the receivers in the deep zone ? Has a fluid backpedal, especially for a linebacker, showing quick feet, flexible hips and fluid moves with good range to cover ? Keeps his head on a swivel and charges hard to prevent the underneath pass ? Athletic enough to slip through blocks and avoid the trash when stunting and blitzing ? His ability to strike with leverage allows him to get to the running back behind the line and also pressure the quarterback ? Very similar to Adam Archuleta (Rams) and Coy Wire (Bills) ? former Pac-10 linebackers who made the successful switch to strong safety at the pro level ? Uses his hands very well to jam and neutralize receivers at the line, and is also equally adept at getting under the receiver's jersey to knock his opponent off the route.

Negatives: Plays much bigger than his size dictates, but his lack of bulk will be an issue at his position in the pros ? Has just a little more room on his frame to bulk up, but has struggled to maintain his weight in the past ? Will get fooled on misdirection at times ? While many compare him to Archuleta, he does not have the same ease-of-movement agility (more like the Chargers' Donnie Edwards ? undersized, yet very athletic) ? Quiet by nature and well-liked by coaches and teammates, but did have a few minor off-field issues (shoplifting and reckless driving) ? Has adequate hands, but tends to let the ball absorb into his body rather than reaching and plucking it.

AGILITY TESTS

4.6 in the 40-yard dash ? 360-pound bench press ? 32 3/8-inch arm length ? 9?-inch hands ? Right-handed.

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended Highland (Gilbert, Ariz.) High, playing football for coach Mike Reardon ? Recorded 48 tackles (23 solos), five tackles for loss, five interceptions, and four forced fumbles in 1999, earning all-state honors at defensive back ? All-Fiesta Region Conference first-team selection at defensive back in 1999 ? Named his conference's defensive player of the year and was a Prep Star All-Western Region selection at linebacker as a junior ? Regional defensive player of the year at free safety as a sophomore ? Member of Prep Football Report's All-West team ? Also competed for Highland's track and basketball teams ? Set a school record in the 400 meters (49.99), and has a personal best of 21.3 seconds in the 200 meters ? Named his school's defensive player of the year in basketball.

PERSONAL

Sociology major ? Son of Bruce and Donna Cooper ? Father is a sportscaster at KPNX in Phoenix, Ariz. ?' Born March 11, 1982 in Mesa, Ariz. ? Resides in Gilbert, Ariz.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/marquis_cooper

I used to live right across the street from the high school he went to -- there was a huge buzz about him back then - it's great to see that he made it to the pros and to my favorite team!!! - I saw him play live several times in high school and then followed his career in college - he flys to the ball well and hits like a maniac - It will be good to see him in the black and gold:jammin:

jaysta
11-01-2006, 04:45 PM
They have to stop turning the ball over before there can be any goal line running controversy.

Excellent point bro! :smile: