PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question...

Infamix
11-02-2006, 07:47 AM
What would you people do, if in 10 years, we find out that the NFL is fake like professional wrestling. That it was controled by Vegas...now that would be scary. In this thread, list some examples of why we should think the NFL is rigged, or why it is not.

RichmondVA
11-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Vegas does not control the NFL or any other sport.

By your post, I guess your a betting individual who has been burned by a can't miss line or two in the past.

If your betting the lines here is my thoughts on it and why I beleive Vegas has 0% control over the games outcome or even would want control over the games. Vegas is not trying to get the point spread to match the outcome of the game. What they want is 50% of the money on one side of the line and 50% on the other side of the line. They want the 10% juice on 50% of all the money with NO RISKS! Controlling people involves risk.

They only move the line to keep the 50-50 thing in tack! So to me, The Vegas line is the general public perception of the game needed to get that 50-50 split and has nothing to do with the game itself!

Why would they need to control the games outcome when they only want that 50-50 split?

19ward86
11-02-2006, 09:14 AM
you cant completely change the event like football, wrestling is acting, football can only be changed by indirect things like refs making calls. but they cant call a random flag. but hypothetically...that would make me mad because im a big fan and i wouldnt want that to happen.

Infamix
11-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Vegas does not control the NFL or any other sport.

By your post, I guess your a betting individual who has been burned by a can't miss line or two in the past.

If your betting the lines here is my thoughts on it and why I beleive Vegas has 0% control over the games outcome or even would want control over the games. Vegas is not trying to get the point spread to match the outcome of the game. What they want is 50% of the money on one side of the line and 50% on the other side of the line. They want the 10% juice on 50% of all the money with NO RISKS! Controlling people involves risk.

They only move the line to keep the 50-50 thing in tack! So to me, The Vegas line is the general public perception of the game needed to get that 50-50 split and has nothing to do with the game itself!

Why would they need to control the games outcome when they only want that 50-50 split?

Good points Richmond, makes me feel better.

And to Ward, I know it would suck, but I didn't mean the refs only. I meant players getting paid to miss field goals and stuff like that.

Livinginthe past
11-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Im not so sure, I think you maybe onto something.

I always thought there was something a bit suspect about the SB at the end of the 85 season - I cant remember who the other team was, but the Bears definitely got alot of calls go their way that day.

Again, I cant remember who they were, but that other team were more talented and had by far the better Superbowl song - I dont see how they could ever had lost...who ever they were!

NM

Infamix
11-02-2006, 09:48 AM

I always thought there was something a bit suspect about the SB at the end of the 85 season - I cant remember who the other team was, but the Bears definitely got alot of calls go their way that day.

Again, I cant remember who they were, but that other team were more talented and had by far the better Superbowl song - I dont see how they could ever had lost...who ever they were!

NM

very clever litp

polamalufan43
11-02-2006, 09:52 AM

NM

i don't think it is rigged. That whole getting paid to miss field goals would be cheating in my book. Think about how many fans would riot/go into a nervous breakdown if they realized that the NFL was rigged.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Infamix
11-02-2006, 09:54 AM
i don't think it is rigged. That whole getting paid to miss field goals would be cheating in my book. Think about how many fans would riot/go into a nervous breakdown if they realized that the NFL was rigged.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

It would change my perspective on life

BigDuke6
11-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Great question. Have you noticed that once the NFL season gets rolling, everything is going along fine, predictable, the teams that should win - win. Then all of a sudden on week 6 or 7 there's usually a HUGE weekend of upsets. 1-5 teams beat 6-0 teams on the road etc. I always call that "Vegas Weekend". I have no explanation for it. It just occurs about twice a season. Usually around week 6or7 and/or around week 14or15.

jtmill
11-02-2006, 11:06 AM
How about the "Patriots" getting hot right after 9/11?!? How about the Saints getting hot and possibly winning the Superbowl the year after Hurricane Katrina (this year)?!? I don't believe it for a second, but it makes a person wonder.

Steelers
11-02-2006, 11:34 AM
The NFL's much too big to orchestrate something like that. It would leak very easily through the players who played for the love of the game and tradition in college, just to find out that their ultimate goal, to play in the NFL, is a sham.

Btrice
11-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Its always possible. If it is the case though we'd probably never know about it, and I'd rather it stay that way.

klick81
11-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Its always possible.

Very possible.

MACH1
11-02-2006, 12:44 PM
after 9/11 its kind of fishy with the patriots and the whole tuck rule thing.:hunch:

holmes
11-02-2006, 01:08 PM
It's 50/50 in the NFL, 100% in the NBA.

LambertLunatic
11-02-2006, 01:52 PM
What would you people do, if in 10 years, we find out that the NFL is fake like professional wrestling

professional wrestling is fake?

sumo
11-02-2006, 01:52 PM
I have heard owners from professional sports teams (ie Cuban from the Mavs, Al Davis Raiders) claim they have had refs or other officials tell them they will never win (a) or another championship - these guys may be nuts, but they're owners - they're not fringe conspiracy wierdos and they are sincere in what they say - One of the dudes on ESPN late night said just the other night that the Steelers won the SB for financial reasons - they "sell" better than the Seahawks could.... these theories are out there and the people sharing them are convinced they're real

RoethlisBURGHer
11-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Truthfully,I wouldn't be surprised if some players and refs were offered money to miss field goals,missinterpret rules,and make bogus calls.

However,the risks are not worth the reward.If caught,you face losing your job,family,all credibility,and major jail time and fines.

Infamix
11-02-2006, 03:00 PM

Fake as in scripted. And if that's not what you meant, you have been living under a rock your entire life.

sumo
11-02-2006, 03:21 PM

careful - there are people here that think you're serious

Infamix
11-02-2006, 04:28 PM
careful - there are people here that think you're serious

I was one of them:dang:

SteelersWoman
11-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Professional wrestling is easy to "fix". You have two guys in the ring, and it's all choreographed prior to even entering it.

Football, OTOH, has entirely too many variables. A total of a possible 106 players, wind, slippery surfaces, shoes and helmets flying off, interceptions where you wonder how the guy even got to it to intercept in the first place, and the list goes on. It's all on too big a scale to be able to orchestrate the exact outcome week in and week out.

That's my two cents worth, anyway...

Infamix
11-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Professional wrestling is easy to "fix". You have two guys in the ring, and it's all choreographed prior to even entering it.

Football, OTOH, has entirely too many variables. A total of a possible 106 players, wind, slippery surfaces, shoes and helmets flying off, interceptions where you wonder how the guy even got to it to intercept in the first place, and the list goes on. It's all on too big a scale to be able to orchestrate the exact outcome week in and week out.

That's my two cents worth, anyway...

Good point, but I kind of meant that the outcome of a game (winner) is determined before it is played. The whole game does not have to be scripted, you are right, that would be insanity.