PDA

View Full Version : Whats More Important ??

SteelerFanInATL
07-21-2005, 09:24 PM
OK fans, whats more important as a player, winning a Super Bowl or getting paid/being the man?? It just baffels me someone would leave a team so close to going to the Big Dance. (Plex, Barry Bonds one run away from going to the WS with the Pirates)

BlitzburghRockCity
07-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Most times w/ young players, its all about the money..get as much as you can while you are in your prime, then as your career starts to wind down..u find urself trying to hook up w/ a SB contender for condsiderably less money if it means getting that ring!

Blitzburgh55
07-21-2005, 09:56 PM
plax wasnt the main start of the team but bonds was one of the top 2 so bonds

pitt
07-22-2005, 12:28 AM
I would think that the Super Bowl would be more important. But no one has ever offered me an obscene amout of money, so I can't honestly say if I'd stay or go.

Prosdo
07-22-2005, 12:34 AM
I would think the Superbowl. In my opinion these guys are making a lot of money already so why not go for the big win. Money goes away, but that kind of experience doesn't.

ironcitychef
07-22-2005, 01:41 AM
Its different now. You can gobble up money for your first 75% of years, then slightly sell out and then latch on to a champions coat tails for the last 25% twilight years and hedge the bet. Either way I always like the guys who stay loyal to the team that drafted them or signed them. If you are good enough to play at that level, it shouldn't matter for who, so why not reward the team for choosing "the best player in the draft".

Livinginthe past
07-22-2005, 04:18 AM
I would have to say that winning the big one is much more important than extra money - but then show me a fan of any NFL team who doesn't say the same.
The problem is that the players do not live on the same planet as us - right from day one they are taught to equate their reputation with dollars in the bank.
It is clear that they earn millions and shouldn't need the extra money - but we see over and over again that players will hold out if not given what they want.

Over in Patsville we are faced with the prospect of losing our best d-lineman because he is threatening not to fulfil his rookie contract and wants more money.

It is also an ego thing - I am quite sure alot of these players think that THEY are the reason for their teams success and if they move then success will shortly follow....a good example of this NOT happening would be Ted Washington taking the extra dough to go play in a below par team in Oakland.

ITS PIG-SKIN BABY!

NM

bengalsfan21
07-22-2005, 05:36 AM
Money it's all about the money....When I was focused on playing in college out of high school it was bc I wanted to have some what of a chance to go pro for the money....In 40 years winning a super bowl won't mean squat unless you still have your money to live like a champ.

bigbensgirl7
07-22-2005, 11:51 AM
I think at first it is about the money, but a part of them has to want that ring also. I don't know...I think it varies from player to player. I think there are some guys that will stay loyal to a team in hopes that one day they might get that ring they have been fighting for, but others might sell out to go somewhere they have a better shot!

Avoid LLoyd1975
07-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Definately winning the superbowl. You get the ring. The team wins and the city wins on top of all the fans that are going to praise your name and your merchandise sales will go up so therefore you still make a little cash and go down as being one of the best teams in the record books. Contract money is nice but a championship's worth is endless.

bengalsfan21
07-22-2005, 02:41 PM
but others might sell out to go somewhere they have a better shot!

Corey Dillon

bigbensgirl7
07-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Hey, this is not to be mean, but do you blame the guy. When he was with the Bengals...he was pissed that they didn't have heart. You know...I would hate to be the worst team in football, losing week in and week out, and see your teamates sitting there laughing on the sidelines. Spikes seemed to have the same problem in Ciny. It seemed like for a while those are the only two guys that wanted to win! I dunno....just my opinion. However, the team has changed and I give you guys credit for that, the players now have a taste of winning and I see them giving it their all now!

bengalsfan21
07-22-2005, 02:56 PM
Hey, this is not to be mean, but do you blame the guy. When he was with the Bengals...he was pissed that they didn't have heart. You know...I would hate to be the worst team in football, losing week in and week out, and see your teamates sitting there laughing on the sidelines. Spikes seemed to have the same problem in Ciny. It seemed like for a while those are the only two guys that wanted to win! I dunno....just my opinion. However, the team has changed and I give you guys credit for that, the players now have a taste of winning and I see them giving it their all now!

He started whining about leaving when Rudi was showing his stuff while he was injured....Spikes said he wanted to go a few years before he left but dillon all the sudden wanted to go when he heard he would have to share time with a better back...I am glad he is gone it gave Rudi his chance to shine and boy is he shining better then corey did....If he had heart here his records wouldn't have been broken in one season by Rudi so that alone shows what kind of heart his whining ass had.

clevestinks
07-22-2005, 06:28 PM
Alot of times the good teams with a shot to win , also our the teams with the money, ala New York Yankees. I would love to win a ring, but first I would love to take care of my family. Barry Bonds did go to his dad and godfathers team not to mention close to his hometown so you really can`t blame him.

LambertIsGod58
07-22-2005, 07:05 PM
The measure of every player is championships. Doing it together as a team. That's what Chuck Noll preached and it was successful. That's what matters, forget the rest. That's why I believe Terry Bradshaw will forever be a richer man than Dan Marino.

SteelBill
07-22-2005, 08:09 PM
The measure of every player is championships. Doing it together as a team. That's what Chuck Noll preached and it was successful. That's what matters, forget the rest. That's why I believe Terry Bradshaw will forever be a richer man than Dan Marino.
I agree but if there was free agency in the Super Steeler days I have to wonder how many of those guys would have left for Big money.?

Livinginthe past
07-23-2005, 01:59 AM
He started whining about leaving when Rudi was showing his stuff while he was injured....Spikes said he wanted to go a few years before he left but dillon all the sudden wanted to go when he heard he would have to share time with a better back...I am glad he is gone it gave Rudi his chance to shine and boy is he shining better then corey did....If he had heart here his records wouldn't have been broken in one season by Rudi so that alone shows what kind of heart his whining ass had.

Hey B21 - the old old Corey Dillon story line seems to bring out the bitterness in some Bungles fans.
I will go along with Bigbensgirl7's take on this one - putting up excellent numbers as a RB while your team shows absolutely no sign of improving must be one of the the most demoralising things for a player to endure.
Dillon could have handled the situation better I grant you - but the way your fans turned on a player who was the lifeblood of your franchise for many years was a pretty poor show too.
We had no end of Bengals fans gloating that we had just bought ourselves a 'cancer' with our trade deal for Corey.....didn't turn out that way did it?
Its amazing how much difference winning more than 6 of your regular season games will make to a players morale.
I think its safe to say both teams come out ahead on this trade - you got a promising young safety in Madeiu Williams (I believe this is correct) with the 2nd round draft pick and focussed on an excellent young RB in Rudi.

I have to say I think you are changing history in retrospect - the team that Rudi is part of is far superior to that which Corey was stuck being a part of.
How Dillon put up all them 1000yd years with such a terrible all round side is anyone's guess.
Dillon is one of the 5 best backs in the league - currently.

ITS PIG-SKIN BABY!

NM

bengalsfan21
07-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Hey B21 - the old old Corey Dillon story line seems to bring out the bitterness in some Bungles fans.
I will go along with Bigbensgirl7's take on this one - putting up excellent numbers as a RB while your team shows absolutely no sign of improving must be one of the the most demoralising things for a player to endure.
Dillon could have handled the situation better I grant you - but the way your fans turned on a player who was the lifeblood of your franchise for many years was a pretty poor show too.
We had no end of Bengals fans gloating that we had just bought ourselves a 'cancer' with our trade deal for Corey.....didn't turn out that way did it?
Its amazing how much difference winning more than 6 of your regular season games will make to a players morale.
I think its safe to say both teams come out ahead on this trade - you got a promising young safety in Madeiu Williams (I believe this is correct) with the 2nd round draft pick and focussed on an excellent young RB in Rudi.

I have to say I think you are changing history in retrospect - the team that Rudi is part of is far superior to that which Corey was stuck being a part of.
How Dillon put up all them 1000yd years with such a terrible all round side is anyone's guess.
Dillon is one of the 5 best backs in the league - currently.

ITS PIG-SKIN BABY!

NM

I agree we both made out with the trade, The only thing that ticked me off was he was on tv downing the bengals and rudi then he said he didn't down them, I seen both shows....And read the papers, That to me is no class.... But to other ppl it might not mean a thing. Also when he threw his stuff in the stands before he was even traded or released was poor class...I won't say I hate the guy I just disagreed with his actions like you stated.